To Cleanse or not to cleanse?? and what to do after??

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Are you alcohol free? If you have more then 2 drinks at any given time your liver has to stop its routine function to clean out the alcohol. It is a lot of needless calories and your body has to work hard to get it out of your system, which takes away from your healthy lifestyle. And if it isn't alcohol are you getting enough rest? Proper rest plays a big part in losing weight

Strong first post.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    To everyone who has been abusing "daniellemarie" - thanks for nothing.

The good lady asked about what it is and how to cleanse. Besides the good advice about food logging, the best she got from mostof you is patronising rubbish bordering on abuse.

She just asked a question - does anyone have a good answer? If you dont then stay quiet - everyone's journey is different.

Uuuummmm ... except for the snotty comment on her spelling, everyone gave helpful, good advice in a polite manner. Maybe you are reading a different thread.

Danielle -- A cleanse will do nothing but deplete water. Eat a healthy, balanced diet, track calories and move, move, move. That's all you really can do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I recently took on a weight loss challange at my zumba fitness class. I have a month to loose all i can the natural way of course!!! I havent ever done a cleanse but i have heard they are really good and help with weight loss. I am just not sure what to do i dont want to take pills or anything i want to do this all natural. I have lost about 35lbs in 8 months but i am now stuck the scale has not moved in awhile... any advice would be wonderful!!!

Unless you've been advised by a doctor to do a cleanse (such as for a colonoscopy) I wouldn't bother.

If Zumba is your only exercise, then try adding some resistance training (weights, resistance bands, bodyweight exercises). This might get the scale moving again.

Also, after dropping 35 lbs your BMR has probably changed, you might simply need to readjust your calories. It's a sad fact of weight loss that thinner people don't need as many calories as heavier people.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people hit a plateau.

No, they don't. No such thing as a plateau. If you're not losing, you're eating more than you're burning.
    This may help you: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/
    This is I agree with. I lost 42 pounds without ever plateauing, though someone times the scale moved a bit slower than I would have liked.

So - this is a bit off topic, but not really... wouldn't you come to a point, though, where you stopped losing weight... I mean, I would LOVE to get down to 135 - that's where I have my goal... I'm just not sure my body will let me go that low, so I'm going to try for 140 and then see how it goes, if I can get down to 135... isn't there just a point where the body says "yeah... this is it." ? (not saying that's where the OP is - I have no idea what her measurements are, etc.).

As for weight loss - my body tends to go in stair steps... holds on to weight for a few weeks and then sheds quickly all of a sudden, and then stops for awhile... but I've never gone more than 2-3 weeks without seeing a drop.

It's water weight fluctuations where you get a 'whoosh'.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Not to cleanse.
  • FTF2014
    FTF2014 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    If your body never needs a cleanse then why after drinking something like prune juice you go to the bathroom alo. Because there is waste ,unproccessed or decaying food in your body. If you dont eat enough fiber in a day then yes your body needs a cleanse once in while. A bunch of parrots on this website WOW!!
    If your body never needed a cleanse then your artery would never clog up , your body would do it for you. See how stupid that theory is. Now what everyone should have said is dont buy those stupid cleanse products , you can clear your system with regular high fiber foods and liquids.
  • hkristine1
    hkristine1 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

So - this is a bit off topic, but not really... wouldn't you come to a point, though, where you stopped losing weight... I mean, I would LOVE to get down to 135 - that's where I have my goal... I'm just not sure my body will let me go that low, so I'm going to try for 140 and then see how it goes, if I can get down to 135... isn't there just a point where the body says "yeah... this is it." ? (not saying that's where the OP is - I have no idea what her measurements are, etc.).

As for weight loss - my body tends to go in stair steps... holds on to weight for a few weeks and then sheds quickly all of a sudden, and then stops for awhile... but I've never gone more than 2-3 weeks without seeing a drop.

It's water weight fluctuations where you get a 'whoosh'.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

Well, that was an interesting read and totally makes sense to me. I also definitely see a difference (e.g. weight gain) if I eat too much sodium, so I knew THAT was related to water retention. I guess I'm one of those people who retains water easily, so I will have these "stalls" and "whooshes" more than someone who is less prone to water retention.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Sometimes people hit a plateau.

No, they don't. No such thing as a plateau. If you're not losing, you're eating more than you're burning.
    This may help you: http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

oh really?

so you are saying that weight loss is 100% linear?

Now I'm confused. I have basically experienced no plateaus, though weight loss has not been linear (where you lose lose weight each week, always on the downward). This, given the fact that I thought a plateau was months of not losing weight when you are doing the same thing as you did when losing weight, not just the natural fluctuations or where your weight either goes up/down a pound or so.
  • edisonsbulb
    edisonsbulb Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I'm doing a holy water cleanse. It tastes exactly like unanswered prayers.
  • GertrudeHorse
    GertrudeHorse Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that with heart rate monitors and most forms of tracking calories burned they include your RMR into the total.

Meaning if you put on a heart rate monitor and do 60 minutes of cardio it might tell you you burned 700 calories. Then just put that heart rate monitor on and sit on your butt for an hour and watch it tell you you just burned 200 calories. While you were doing that cardio it was instead of sitting on your butt so actually you only net burned 500 calories.

On top of that most exercise equipment and a fair amount of heart rate monitors seem to err on the side of overestimation for whatever reason.
    You sure about that? That doesn't sound right.

I have been using a heart rate monitor (Polar FT7) for months now and it tells me I burn about 500 calories for an hour of running at about 6.2 mph, which is the number I log into MFP. This number is always at least 200-250 lower than MFP and the treadmill. Look at my ticker. I've lost 42 pounds over the last year, and I have been maintaining a certain weight range for about six weeks now.

If what you say were true, in maintenance I would be gaining weight because of the overestimation of exercise, and I also would not have been losing while in a deficit.

And, yes, I weight all my food and accurately log every single day, so there no other miscalculations going on.

I'm pretty sure AaronK123 is correct. I was similarly confused when I first started counting exercise calories but then I thought about it this way: your exercise heart rate includes your resting heart rate, yes? This means the calories calculated *do* include your RMR burn. However, for most cardio sessions the difference is negligible. My RMR is about 1500, which is slightly more than one calorie per minute if I'm doing absolutely nothing. If I log 60 minutes of cardio that's only a 60 calorie difference. And that small difference may be offset by other things (e.g. your heart rate stays elevated for a wee while after exercise finishes). I wouldn't fret about it unless you're plateauing or needing to make tiny tweaks to get your desired results.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    If your body never needs a cleanse then why after drinking something like prune juice you go to the bathroom alo. Because there is waste ,unproccessed or decaying food in your body. If you dont eat enough fiber in a day then yes your body needs a cleanse once in while. A bunch of parrots on this website WOW!!
    If your body never needed a cleanse then your artery would never clog up , your body would do it for you. See how stupid that theory is. Now what everyone should have said is dont buy those stupid cleanse products , you can clear your system with regular high fiber foods and liquids.

Well, yes, of course there is undigested and partly unprocessed food in your body - the digestive tract is very long, about 22 feet if I remember rightly, and a continuous process is happening from ingestion through digestion to elimination.

Yes, if you are constipated you may need to drink more liquids and/or take in more fibre and/or take laxatives - natural ones like prune juice or medications.

Nobody us arguing against this - but how does it relate to magic weight loss cleanses?
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    243.gif
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

clap.gif
  • nancy10272004
    nancy10272004 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    <b>If your body never needed a cleanse then your artery would never clog up</b> , your body would do it for you. See how stupid that theory is. Now what everyone should have said is dont buy those stupid cleanse products , you can clear your system with regular high fiber foods and liquids.

May I ask how a cleanse unclogs an artery?
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options
    If your body never needed a cleanse then your artery would never clog up, your body would do it for you.

Most people's arteries *don't* get clogged. I think that's the point people are making; unless you have a genuine medical issue you don't need a cleanse because your body *is* doing it for you. Clogged arteries are a sign your body isn't functioning as it should. In that case you don't need a cleanse. You need a doctor (who may or may not suggest dietary changes depending on why your arteries are clogged in the first place).

To answer the OP: make sure you have sufficient fibre intake, drink lots of water, and eat at a deficit. You liver and kidneys and digestive system do all the cleansing you need. Unless, of course, one or more of those things don't work. In which case you should speak to your doctor.

ETA: I'm also curious to know how you think drinking prune juice could possibly unclog your arteries?
  • GertrudeHorse
    Options

LOL BECAUSE MAGIC.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

LOL BECAUSE MAGIC.

Or aliens. Could always be aliens.

Pseudoscience.jpg
  • fificrazy
    fificrazy Posts: 234
    Options

I just imagined an artery filled with, like, cornstarch. Got to dilute it to let the blood flow again!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

LOL BECAUSE MAGIC.

cat-magic-carpet-bed-catiewayne-dot-com_zpsf9da0636.gif