Person called me fat at the gym!

Options

Replies

• 12pillows
    12pillows Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    That's ridiculous! I really hope you report him.
    Sometimes I feel a bit self conscious at the gym, but I try and have the attitude of at least I'm sweating and being gross here instead of shoving my face full of burgers somewhere, so I don't expect to be judged.

Reminds me of when I first started running a few years ago. Me and a couple of pals went for a little jog near my flat, and we passed a middle aged couple and the man shouted at us 'you'll have to run faster than that if you're gonna lose any weight!'
    We immediately shouted back at him and carried on running because we are fabulous and he can go sit at home and continue to be a tool!
  • NanzyBoek
    NanzyBoek Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    That is a real prick!
    If you see him again, report it.
    Hes already forgotten about it, so you shouldn't let it bother you any more. Nothing you can do about his ignorant comments but move on.
  • doctorsookie
    doctorsookie Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym today and was on the elliptical and a man came up to me and told me I look like I was about to break the machine. I asked him what he meant and he told me a person my size should not be using expensive equipment and that his gym membership fees were contributing to fat people like me breaking gym equipment. I don't feel like ever going back to the gym. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

I'd have slapped with a ten pound weight plate and THEN reported him. Violenceay not solve anything, but it can sure make you feel better. What a flipping douche bag.
  • BekaBooluvsu
    BekaBooluvsu Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I went to the gym today and was on the elliptical and a man came up to me and told me I look like I was about to break the machine. I asked him what he meant and he told me a person my size should not be using expensive equipment and that his gym membership fees were contributing to fat people like me breaking gym equipment. I don't feel like ever going back to the gym. Has anyone ever had a similar problem?

Report this guy! If you do chose to go back. Wear headphones and pretend to be in your own world.
  • ashahardt
    ashahardt Posts: 10
    Options
    Make a complaint to the gym owner. He should be banned he is not the type of person they want to be there. He's making people want to leave. I would try and have him removed from that gym. Serves him right...what an *kitten*. Ignore him. He's just a ****. You pay fees just as he does.
  • craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    This is not meant to offend, so I hope it doesn't:

vHKxPmm.jpg
  • biddy249
    biddy249 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    My guess is that this post is total BS! Nobody is going to say something like that, come on people don't be so gullible.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    You should report this incident to your gym's management.

+1
  • KaleeCat
    KaleeCat Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a bully to me! Don't let one idiot get you down. What, are gyms for skinny people to lightly use the equipment and keep it in brand spanking new condition?? How ridiculous! Tell management and get right back in there and keep up the great work! When I see heavier people in the gym I'm so proud of them for taking the initiative and it motivates me to keep going!
  • cpcoursec
    cpcoursec Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My guess is that this post is total BS! Nobody is going to say something like that, come on people don't be so gullible.

This....

And to everybody calling me names and melting down...pump your breaks. I was just pointing out possible evidence to this being fake.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options

So what? It's not like I'm sending the OP presents to make him feel better. It cost me nothing but a few seconds to respond, same as you. If he's making it up, that doesn't affect me in the slightest.
  • maria_stafeler
    Options
    dont allow those to make you sad. keeping moving
  • PatriciaCornwell
    Options
    What a horrible thing for someone to say. Don't let some jerk stop you from getting yourself healthy.
  • ChasingMyBliss
    ChasingMyBliss Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry that you had to experience that! Report him is right. My suggestion for you is to KNOW that you are such a more awesome person than that dude! Next time you see him at the gym, make sure to smile and go say hello. Introduce yourself shake his hand and let him know you missed his name last time you were fortunate enough to chat with him. Report said name but kill 'em with kindness. Usually the real jerks gets super confused by people not responding to their bully confrontations.

I agree! Most people will admire you for doing the work to make hard changes. Don't let one creep effect your choices!
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Agree! I go to a gym that offers VIP membership, I exercised at three am this morning. People who normally work night shift are up at night on their days off:-) That comment made to you by a jerk is not acceptable, report him ASAP.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I just assume that people like that are projecting their own body image issues.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You should report this incident to your gym's management.

This. Report it. You have every right to use the gym equipment. You're paying gym fees too to use that equipment.

So yeah, report it and keep on truckin'. That kind of BS is unacceptable.

Edit to add: Even if OP is a troll, there's nothing to say that this kind of thing won't happen to someone else. In which case, if they happened to see this thread, they'll know what to do in the future if it were to happen. Either way, it could be helpful to someone.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

So what? It's not like I'm sending the OP presents to make him feel better. It cost me nothing but a few seconds to respond, same as you. If he's making it up, that doesn't affect me in the slightest.

Yeah, this. And also, what if it wasn't fake.
  • laineybz
    laineybz Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    How awful! That's disgusting. I don't know your weight or what you look like, none of my business. But you can change your weight and appearance. They'll most likely forever be a disgusting individual. Forgot their nasty comments, and go you!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,163 Member
    Options
    Response, "I can lose the weigh, and am working on that; but you will still be a jerk." Then keep working out. Better yet, call one of the staff over and complain about the person. They should not be allowed to do this, and many gyms will deal with this for you.