first weigh – in; shock & horror

Options

Replies

• janetay01
    janetay01 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Lots of good stuff already said here - not much more advice to add I don't think. So I'll just say welcome and well done for taking that first step - and the following steps by coming back again. As one poster alluded too, so many people don't come back. You can do this - you just have to want it enough. It sounds like you have a great support network with your wife - do it for both of you and don't be discouraged - it won't always be easy but it will be so very worth it. Sent you a friend request :smile:
  • terrainstar
    terrainstar Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking a big step forward!

I know exactly how you are feeling. How the heck did this happen to me? It's slow you don't see it coming until you hurt somewhere, then your body adjusts and you get sucked down slowly again into the same pit.

I have lost 134 pounds previously, I know what I need to do to lose weight and be successful and I will do it again. Its wonderful to have the support of the people here and my friends and family.

You have to ask your wife to stop enabling you.

You have to make an effort to move just a little bit more than you do now.

I have been suffering with extreme pain in my knees so I know how hard it is just to stand up never mind walk a few feet. But now i have lost almost 40 pounds and its getting easier every day.

You can do this, you can save your own life and we will help!
  • <3 I know I've been in similar shoes, and I'm so glad I decided getting healthier was worth my time and effort. Give yourself a break; you've come to a great place to get started. I had never topped 220 lbs at 5'5" and last fall I weighed in at 258. Until the last 10 years I'd never been over a woman's size 10-12. To be 258?! How the hell did that happen?
    I was in a lot of denial, depressed, sick, not in tune with my body. I have hypothyroidism, deg disk disease, RA, possible lupus, osteomyelitis... I get that it hurts to move. If you can do a tiny bit it's better than nothing. If you have to sit in a chair and do arm exercises you'll be increasing your blood flow and not stressing your joints. When I lived in FL I did a lot of pool exercise; even if I was crippled with pain I could do the pool.
    I'm down around 14-15 lbs now since the beginning of Jan. It's not a diet but a lifestyle change. I need to account for everything I eat, so the food diary here helps a lot. I walk at least 2 miles every week. Once you're able find something you love and stick with it. I love to walk. I also love chocolate, so the calories I burn allows me to have it. I'm stubborn as hell and if told I can't have this or that I will want it more. I eat everything I want to, but in smaller portions. If I want a treat I have to "pay" for it by creating a calorie allowance with exercise. I do like eating healthy so that was a plus. Being male and having a fair amount to lose you will see results quickly. If you can't do it for you at first do it for your wife. Know you have support here whenever you need it.
  • snudgie
    snudgie Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi - sorry I am getting a little slow with the replies! Lots of posts on this website. I am in the US physically, but I am Dutch and British (born in UK, raised in NL)!
  • snudgie
    Options
    Congratulations on taking a big step forward!

I know exactly how you are feeling. How the heck did this happen to me? It's slow you don't see it coming until you hurt somewhere, then your body adjusts and you get sucked down slowly again into the same pit.

You have to ask your wife to stop enabling you.

You have to make an effort to move just a little bit more than you do now.

I have been suffering with extreme pain in my knees so I know how hard it is just to stand up never mind walk a few feet. But now i have lost almost 40 pounds and its getting easier every day.

Thank you! My wife is getting a lot better about cracking the whip!. I am sure it won't all change from one day to the next, but rather it will be a gradual development. I want these changes to become permanent. For me as well as for her.

And good on you for shedding weight while in extreme pain!!. That shows a lot of determination. I've known pain, chronic at levels of a 7, but also experienced nines when all I could do was take masses of painkillers and wait it out. I hope those days don't return!
    Take care!
    P
  • snudgie
    Options
    I'm down around 14-15 lbs now since the beginning of Jan. It's not a diet but a lifestyle change. I need to account for everything I eat, so the food diary here helps a lot. I walk at least 2 miles every week. Once you're able find something you love and stick with it. I love to walk. I also love chocolate, so the calories I burn allows me to have it. I'm stubborn as hell and if told I can't have this or that I will want it more. I eat everything I want to, but in smaller portions. If I want a treat I have to "pay" for it by creating a calorie allowance with exercise. I do like eating healthy so that was a plus. Being male and having a fair amount to lose you will see results quickly. If you can't do it for you at first do it for your wife. Know you have support here whenever you need it.

Thanks for the words of support!! I am taking baby steps. Done a few days in a row of walking, lifting, and general stuff around the apartment. Although I hurt my back a bit, I will still make it worthwhile by keeping my calories down today and doing some exercises with the handweights, while sitting down, along the lines of what you suggested.

Luckily I am getting some Lidocaine jabs in my back in two days from my doc - that should loosen things up considerably!!

Take care,
    P
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    For me, my first shock and horror moment was the first day i logged my food and saw I was out of calories by 11am! I was so shocked but it was a good shock. MFP has completely changed my life. Good luck in your journey!!!!!
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    I just sent you a friend request.

Last week I got on the scale in months only to see 253.4 pounds. ACK! My highest ever, even when pregnant.

You can do this. We all can. You've gotten a kajillion responses and I am sure I don't have any wisdom to offer, just encouragement.

Blessings!
  • Jsphine
    Jsphine Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Hoping there's an update! Let us know how things are going with you, Snudgie!
  • NCchar130
    NCchar130 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    For me, my first shock and horror moment was the first day i logged my food and saw I was out of calories by 11am! I was so shocked but it was a good shock. MFP has completely changed my life. Good luck in your journey!!!!!

Funny, the same thing happened to me on my first day! The other huge wakeup call that day was recognizing I was drinking close to 1000 calories a day between sweetened coffee and sodas. So my first 2-3 weeks involved cutting that way way down, which caused caffeine withdrawal, and was very uncomfortable. Good news is, it was temporary, over before I knew it, and I've never gone back to it! Lost 53 pounds by May 2013. I've since gained a few back and have returned with a new focus.

To the OP: You can do this! There is so much helpful advice here and people who will encourage you as well as give you the straight truth if you are trying (or thinking of trying) something counterproductive or unhealthy. I've read so many success stories of people who have lost 200+ pounds and I just wanted to throw in a few words of encouragement to you. My only recommendation at this point is don't lie to your food diary :tongue: I have some issues myself with agoraphobia, shyness, panic, etc and you can keep that diary locked down and hidden from anyone's eyes but yours. That's what I do because it encourages me to be honest. A couple of days' worth of complete logs will tell you all you need to know about your special weaknesses (such as when I saw how many calories a day I was wasting on sugary drinks).

Good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • yayamom3
    yayamom3 Posts: 939 Member
    Options
    I am so proud of your courage, and I will be rooting for you every day! Don't forget to periodically take photos and measurements. They will motivate you on dark days. God bless!
  • MaggieTor3
    MaggieTor3 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Hi Snudgie - good luck to you!

I understand that you have problems to overcome more than just losing weight. I've had two broken ankles and a broken knee and all those joints are arthritic now, so exercise is not an easy thing. God bless the people here in MFP; what I would do without their success stories and encouragement and enthusiasm, I don't know. However, I've seen some of them make exercise suggestions because they don't know the difficulties some of us have to overcome. If you don't get off the couch much, it's pretty hard to think in terms of a 5-mile run!

I saw one post that suggested if you just move your arms while you're sitting, it will do you good. One way to do that is to conduct an orchestra. Find a recording (lots of them on Youtube) of some piece of classical music that you know. If you don't know much classical music, I bet you know some - Beethoven's 5th Symphony for instance (da da da DUM ... da da da DUM) or Tschaikovsky's 1812 Overture (that's the one with the cannons). Choose a recording of a conductor in front of an orchestra, and do what the conductor does - wave your arms! The conductor keeps the beat going, and he swoops his arms, or jabs his baton at one section when they have a special bit coming. That is VERY good heart exercise.

(Why do you think all the famous classical conductors live into their 90s?)

You'll be fine :)

Maggie
  • LadyMustard
    LadyMustard Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    If you want a place to start working out, try launchpad. You can find the workouts for free on youtube. They are split into 3 stages and are meant for those who can't handle jumping into "normal" workouts right away due to weight (350lbs+) or joint problems. All of the exercises are done from a chair, and are about 30 minutes long usually using body-weight as resistance.
    Links to the 3 stages on youtube:
    Stage 1 (episode 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-iKrlw00Dw
    Stage 2 (episode 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iDxtfDR9io8
    Stage 3 (episode 1): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMrlFow-JWY

I've been a member of the main site the workouts come from (liveexercise) for a year now, and its a good company. Blake (the owner of the company that makes the bands used in the workouts) leads many of the workouts himself. I don't work for them, but I've come to really enjoy the workouts and the energy they put into it. Sadly, few people know about it so I try and spread the word. =)

Aside from exercising more, the only advice I can give is to try making little changes. I started losing weight after I started slowly cutting out pop. I lost a little bit more after I began drinking more water. A little more came off as I made more time to be active. A bit more after I limited myself to two helpings of food instead of three. Then only one, instead of two. Don't try everything at once, and take it one day at a time. Anyone who says that little changes can't change your life hasn't tried it. Feel free to friend me and message me if you need anything. =)
  • pattycakes80
    pattycakes80 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    believe in yourself and understand that your story is not complete yet. you get to change direction anytime you wish and now is the time!

as others have suggested, therapy can be incredibly helpful. you may be eating to hide/mask/numb issues that are begging to be dealt with. therapy can also be very empowering. taking the time to work on yourself is not just a gift, but requirement for a mentally healthy existance.

you are not your past. you are not the numbers on that scale. you a person that got stuck for a bit, but now it is time to move. best of luck!
  • gohun9008
    Options
    im in the same boat i was your exact weight now im 419 probably water weight lost but still im loving using the MFP app scanning food labels inputting my servings and all for me its fun lol
  • DucklingtoSwan
    DucklingtoSwan Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You have definitely come to the right site! The vast (vast, vast VAST) majority of the members on here are SO supportive and kind, and have all been there in one way or another, and understand each others' struggles no matter what the actual numbers involve.
  • Sassy1701
    Sassy1701 Posts: 13
    Options
    You've made a huge step~ God BLess you on your daily pursuit of good health!!
  • EllenTebbits
    EllenTebbits Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Every time you have a victory, scale or non-scale, you inspire and encourage someone else. You can do this. Promise. Take it one meal at a time. One hour at a time.

Thoughts:

Lean on others for support.
    Read the community boards/ success stories for inspiration.
    Don't be afraid of "making a mistake". You will. We all do. Success comes from getting back on track.
    Drink lots and lots and lots of water.
    Track everything, even the binges.
    Celebrate every single success, even if the needle on the scale doesn't move.
    Try setting smaller goals-getting in your nutrition every day, for example, or getting enough water every day for a week, or eliminating a food for a while you wanted to eliminate, or cutting down on something (fat, sugar, salt, etc).
    Try setting smaller weight loss goals and don't focus on how long it takes. You are changing your lifestyle and that doesn't have an end date. Diets are temporary.
  • lise1212
    lise1212 Posts: 11
    Options
    Yes! get your wife or a friend to keep you motivated and walk together. . .I know it's hard. . . the first time I walked/jogged after gaining like 40 lbs I justr about died and then cried because it made me realize how much my body had changed. . . running used to feel good. . . now it was torture! But don't fear! just keep walking, and your body will start changing. . . and don't overdo it or the pain will keep you immobile from then on. . . go easy and slow. . . you can do it!
  • MonkDogMom
    Options
    I am two weeks in! Started at 210.08 and down 7 lbs.

I so identify with you "lise1212". Three years ago I was at the gym 6 days a week doing 30-40 minutes of cardio and 20 minutes of weight lifting. I was thrown from my horse and had to get back surgery!!! Ever since that back surgery, my weight climbed. I started back to the gym and jumped on the elliptical like I had never left. OMG, I was ready to quit after 10 minutes. It was such a let down; not to mention what the extra weight is doing to my lower lumbar and joints. I could hardly move!!!

Just have to have the motivation to keep pushing through. Talk about "No Pain No Gain"???