I am the woman in the freeweights section of the gym

Options

Replies

• snowbunnyA
    snowbunnyA Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Great post. I'm a petite lady and very new to lifting weights. I don't have the benefit of being able to book a PT so when I decided I might like to give free weights a try, I researched, researched and researched some more. I read NROLFW and SS, both of which are full of useful information. I found myself a program I liked the look of and just walked right into the "big boys'" section. The first day was pretty awkward, not knowing where things were kept etc, but that soon goes. I'm in no way ripped and I lift tiny weights compared to the guys in there, but it's heavy for me, and I'm trying my hardest. I will get stronger and I will progress to the bigger weights. I see them looking at me and at first I was intimidated. One day, during my third set of shoulder presses with my little 8kg (17.5lb) dumbbells, where I was struggling to finish my last reps, I felt one of the guys looking at me. I made myself make eye contact once I'd finished, expecting to see laughter there, but no. There was respect for the fact I was pushing myself to my failure point. He gave me a little nod and a smile and got back to lifting his huge weights. Things like that make your day.

I would encourage every woman to give it a try. Go in there, lift heavy. It is so incredibly empowering, fabulous for your self-confidence and self-belief. The changes it makes to your body are awesome, but the best changes are the ones that happen in your head. Good luck!
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Everything you said is spot on from the limited experience I've had over the past 6 months or less. I started my fitness journey long ago when I was 14 and learned a lot then when trainers were pretty much free at the gym I was at.. man, I'd love to remember the poeple who helped me out but alas, I'm getting off the point. I restarted many times throughout the last 16 years since and again and for the last time a little over a year ago. I stayed on the machine floor as I was way too embarassed, intimidated, and unaware of the benefits that free weights provided. Well, after some research and gaining confidence after losing about 30 something pounds and a bunch of inches PLUS I had a friend start joining me at the gym regularly which really helped a lot as we could go together in there. Now I feel way more comfortable and it does take getting used to but it's been nice to be there.
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had a bloke come up to me today complimenting me on my form on the squats and then he decided to spot me just like that....75kg's...yeh baby!!!
    (I am doing 5x5)
  • sschreff
    sschreff Posts: 2
    Options
    Maybe its just my school, but on the college campus there are always a handful of women in the lifting room!!
  • Good advice, I am one who wanders alone amongst the Lion's, Tiger's, and Bear's and with about 90% confidence. I wish, just wish I wasn't so darn shy to ask someone to spot my bench presses! I love the bench pressing, but could never in a million years ask a man or woman to spot me. But at least I am now free weight style like a good lil Cardio Bunny
  • S3r3knitty
    S3r3knitty Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Excellent post. I am also usually the only woman in t weights section.

I'll also add that sometimes the men will try to be helpful, and will try to correct your form, and sometimes they'll be wrong. I've had a guy tell me I shouldn't be arching my back on bench and another that I shouldn't be going that low, or leaning forward on squats. He had no idea what a "low bar" squat was when I explained it. Do your homework on form. Know enough that you know when the "helpfuls" are being helpful and when they are full of it.
    This happens to my all the freaking time. However, despite (their well-intentioned but) wrong advice most of them are quite positive and enthusiastic that I do weights as a woman
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I had a bloke come up to me today complimenting me on my form on the squats and then he decided to spot me just like that....75kg's...yeh baby!!!
    (I am doing 5x5)

yeah no- no way a random dude is trying to help you "spot" he just wants to stand behind your *kitten* while you do it.
  • KerryBCPA
    KerryBCPA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    great post
  • lynette111
    lynette111 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the encouragement! I really want to get that book tonight and start soon.
  • Love2lift72
    Love2lift72 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Haven't read through all the replies yet. but wanted to jump in and say it took me about 4 weeks until I felt more or less like I belong. I still have shyness when there are lots of guys but for the most part it's been great. I have had one tell me that he respects that I'm showing my duaghters how to deadlift.
  • TLC227
    TLC227 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Excellent topic. I remember having to basically drag some of my female friends into the free weight room with me. That initial intimidation factor is huge for some women. I ran track in college and we all lifted in the same place, so when I made the transition to a "regular" gym, using the freeweights section didn't bother me. It would generally be one of the first places I'd beeline to.

I think seeing another women there helps tremendously, because I've had women come up to me and as questions, which I love, because if it gets them in there, it's all good!!
  • redflamelily
    redflamelily Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this. I've recently started free weights after years of off and on weight machines so this post has spurred me on more to get in there and do it.
  • innerSKINNYme
    innerSKINNYme Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Great Post. I see so many women afraid to go in the free weight section. You are absolutely right, hold that head held high.
    And don't be afraid to ask a question if you are unsure about something. From experience, you'll be surprised on how many will help you - even the guys.
  • newcltkathy
    newcltkathy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am also the woman in the free weights section of the gym. My Y is dominated by men in that section. They make it pretty intimidating to women. Sometimes the guys are nice and other times I see scowls on faces when I lift in "their" section, I turn up my music and just ignore them. Men need to ease up on being territorial over on that side of the gym. Have any other ladies experienced this as well?
  • CHSegl
    CHSegl Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    kathy-
    Yes, sometimes this ^__^. Especially if I'm w/o my husband. Just lean on the bar, smile, and hoist more than they can. Usually shuts them up!
  • schwest76
    schwest76 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Great post! I went in expecting a lot of unsolicited advice from the guys and was pleasantly surprised they just left me alone. I haven't quite mustered up the nerve to ask for someone to spot me though. :smile:
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    (I am doing 5x5)

yeah no- no way a random dude is trying to help you "spot" he just wants to stand behind your *kitten* while you do it.

possibly lol
  • oOTeresaOo
    oOTeresaOo Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I started weight training about over a year ago and about 6 month ago i started going into the free weights section. Feels good to be one of the regulars and the only girl in that section. Only thing is im afraid to increase my weight too much cus i workout alone. Not too many poeple there in the AM to ask a spot from. But i keep going and doing what im doing.
  • losingles
    losingles Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Love this! Thank you!
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this post! It definitely gave me an added bump of courage to venture more often into the weight room :)