Planet Fitness

Options

Replies

• laurenflichman
    Options
    I'm so sorry to hear that everyone is having such a horrible experience with Planet Fitness. I have been going for about three weeks now and couldn't be happier. Maybe it's all about the staff and customer service. I get greeted every night with a huge smile and they even acknowledge that I'm there every night lol as far as the pizza and bagel Mondays and Tuesdays I just look past them and remember why I'm there. Hahaha
  • oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I've gone for 3 years.
    Not once have I heard the effing alarm.

Not once have I had a piece of pizza, bagel, or tootsie roll.

I go in, do my business and leave.
    Plenty of people lift. Plenty of people do cardio.

I imagine if it doesn't suit peoples lifting needs, they'll leave. But I really doubt weekly threads bashing the place are needed.

My biggest disappointment about the place is the fact that the shower gets cold if somebody flushes the toilet.
    Hate that.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    You know what I hate the most about my PF? If you use the first stall in the bathroom, and someone turns the hand dryer on before you can sit down, the air comes up under the door and blows the paper off the toilet seat! Then I have to wait to re-cover the seat so I can pee. What a pain in the *kitten*. There were two women there last night wearing thin strapped tank tops that showed their stomachs, so I thought I'd finally get a chance to see someone get told they were intimidating, but it didn't happen. I left disappointed.

Not srs.

I thought for sure I'd hear the alarm last night but nope.

I've been going since New Years Eve, and I still haven't heard that alarm. The other night someone dropped the weight on the leg sled, and it was LOUD, but still nothing. I think people are just making this stuff up! :sad:
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I live in a town where you either go to Planet Fitness, or to another gym that specializes in CrossFit only (Basically, classes...) and it costs $250.00 per month. SO...guess what...PF it is! I don't LOVE it. But I don't live there either...I do a lot of running/biking/swimming...the gym is for my strength training. I go, I do what I can, and I leave. It may not be the best for heavy lifters...but the heavy lifters that are there don't seem to have a problem. They improvise. You do what you gotta do!
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I went to PF with my boyfriend last night as a guest (he has a membership, I don't) & I'm not gonna lie....after burning 400 cal on the treadmill I felt that I deserved that damn tootsie roll lol
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I'd say it's a good "starter gym". I knew nothing of exercise when I started back in 2009, now I've learned so much and have gotten more confident, I'm ready to move on to bigger and heavier weights :)
  • snappyapples
    Options
    Honestly, I don't understand that alarm at all. If someone wants to lift heavy, I don't see why they should be discouraged from doing so in a place of fitness. I know the gym exists to make people who aren't in great shape comfortable in a gym setting, BUT I don't see how someone else lifting weights will make you uncomfortable. It doesn't make sense!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    oh god.

I'm so in- slow day at the office. I need this thread in my life.

ditto...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    I sadly work out there....The only other gym near my new place was Lifetime Fitne$$$$$$ and I just can't justify $80 a month right now.

I have only heard the alarm once at my gym, and it was for a legit douche guy that was throwing weights around, so I guess I got lucky. It does suck that I can't do most of my normal compound lifts at this gym (I go to a buddy's gym as a guest for days I want to "test" where I am at). I would say that I occasionally grunt on a hard set, and I def wear cutoff shirts and tanks, and I haven't had any problems. I also live in an area that caters to people under the 35 y/o mark, so maybe that helps, idk.

And I def get a good laugh at the people talking on their phones while on a treadmill or the girls with their 1lbs pink dumbells doing chest flys........oy vey. DO WORK! If you can hold a conversation during your workout, you ain't doin it right.

You have pink dumbbells at yours?! I'm so jealous. The trainer at my PF said he would never tell me not to deadlift, and I've seen plenty other people do it. They wear muscle shirts, and tank tops that show a lot of skin, and nobody says a word. I swore I was going to stop coming into these threads, but it's like a moth to a flame.
  • sheclimber
    sheclimber Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Okay I'm clueless about Planet Fitness. What's the deal with this alarm? And really!??! They have Pizza, Bagels, and Candy just sitting out for people working out!?!?
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Ok serious question...

How frequently do they put the pizza out?

Is it good pizza that's worth the $10/mo membership?

I have zero interest in the place otherwise except for a walk-in pizza subscription since it's next to where I live.

:drinker: This is the greatest idea!
  • bellaa_x0
    bellaa_x0 Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    it was great for the price when i was just starting out.. then i was gym shopping and they sealed the deal for me when they suddenly "didn't accept credit cards" anymore. like i'm about to give out my banking information so they can freely pull out money. best part was that i could cancel my membership right then and there.. USING A CREDIT CARD! ridiculous.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    Options
    Okay I'm clueless about Planet Fitness. What's the deal with this alarm? And really!??! They have Pizza, Bagels, and Candy just sitting out for people working out!?!?

The alarm "supposedly" goes off if someone drops weights on the floor or grunts loudly, both of which I've heard, and never set off the alarm. Pizza is the first Monday of the month, I think bagels and coffee are the 1st Tuesday, and they have Tootsie Rolls on the counter and the tables in the lobby. I must go too late for the pizza and bagels, because I still haven't seen those, either, and nobody's forcing a Tootsie Roll down anyone's throat, although that would be funny to see.
  • anj1030
    anj1030 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    They only sound the alarm when what you're doing is disruptive. The reports of people being asked to put on shirts and such...they don't sound it for that. It's mostly when weights are getting thrown, or someone is grunting a wee bit too loudly. I had a guy grunt so loud once about four benches down from me, that he scared me (and I had my music playing in my headphones). I jumped a mile. The alarm sounded...people laughed...and we all moved on. Look...this is how I see it. I like to work out. I go to Planet Fitness because it's inexpensive and it's a gym. I also get to tan for free with my membership...so bonus. As for the alarm...don't be obnoxious...don't drop/throw weights excessively...pretty simple.

Amazingly enough...I wear a tank top...with thin straps. I wear compression tights. No one has said a word to me about it. I don't know both sides of the story from those other reports...and in all honesty...it wouldn't be overly surprising to find out how exaggerated those people's stories were. Seriously. My biggest complaint is the music they play. Except for when it's Phil Collins or Richard Marx...
  • twinteensmom
    twinteensmom Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I went to PF with my boyfriend last night as a guest (he has a membership, I don't) & I'm not gonna lie....after burning 400 cal on the treadmill I felt that I deserved that damn tootsie roll lol
    [/quote

I'm with you. I just started my membership(first membership with a gym EVER and I'm 51) I love the personal trainer at my gym. She spent an hour with me going over exercises I can do best suited to my personal goals and waved at me when I came in last night. Yeah, the tootsie rolls were there on the counter but, after an hour long workout, one tootsie roll isn't going to kill me! I am content, for now.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In.

popcorn_2.gif.

The pizza, bagels, etc... don't bother me about the place.

Honestly, if they didn't caricaturize individuals (such as myself) who take their training seriously and called said individuals a lunk (a dull or stupid person; blockhead; an awkward, heavy, or stupid person), due to the fact I (we) lift, will drink from a gallon jug, and wear disapproved headwear all while touting their facilities are a "judgment free zone"....the place would catch far less hell here than it does.

^^^ This. Also runners, yoga, zumba...anybody who cares about and is good at fitness.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town, rural area, so I don't know much about these fitness centers. Except PF, but only because of MFP. WHY WOULD THEY HAVE JUNK FOOD AT A GYM?? To keep people fat? I don't even get this...
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with Planet except this.....Since coming to MFP, I learned a few things like Strongilfts and Squat Boxes. Well, Planet's largest barbell is 60lbs and the largest dumbbell is I think 60 lbs also. No 5lb increments to the barbells.

And why don't they have a squat box? I don't want to use the Smith. I want my body to use the little stabilizing muscles.

But, for right now, it's suits my needs. I have no problems with the people althought I saw my first lunk recently. He kept throwing the dumbbells on the floor and didn't put them back. A real meathead, I wanted to throw my sneaker at him.
  • MarkABrowning
    MarkABrowning Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'd LOVE to have a PF in my small town. Our gym costs three times as much, has FAR less equipment, and frequently has cardio equipment out of order. Oh yeah, they have signs that say, "If you drop our weights you will be asked to leave."
    A slice of pizza once a month--if you were to indulge--shouldn't derail anybody's fitness plans. And if you are that hard core, surely you have sufficient self control not to cram every free piece of food you see into your mouth.

So all the REAL fitness folks hate Planet Fitness. Great. Don't go there. Let's move on!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

I'm trying to just keep my head down and get my workouts done.[/quote]

There lies the issue. YOU pay them to train there. You shouldn't have to keep your head down. They owe YOU a gym where you can exercise the way that you see fit. They are in YOUR debt yet you are walking on eggshells so that you don't offend them? That's just as ridiculous and presumptuous as the US government!