Those DUMB 30 day squat challenges

Options
1235»

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I didn't get sucked into them when i was a newbie. I didn't see the point when there were so many other things to do along with squats to get a better butt. Plus I only had to do them 3x a week to see results. nah..the 30 day thing can kick rocks

Why would you assume that everyone doing a 30 day squat challenge does nothing else? I've done a few on MFP and always the others doing it were adding to an existing workout.
  • mc_hudd
    mc_hudd Posts: 47
    Options
    At the beginning of March I decided to do a 30 day squat & 30 day ab routine challenge, which I did all the way through. I'll admit, they got boring, but doing this did turn me on to exercising, which I've never really done. I'm now using various videos on YouTube & really enjoying it! I did notice a big difference after the squat challenge too!

Like others have said, I probably wouldn't have started exercising at all if it hadn't been for the challenges that I decided to do on a whim. I'm glad I chose them, but will probably never do another 30 day challenge again!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    Does it REALLY matter if the goal is to move more? Have at whatever '30-day workout' floats your boat!
    It definitely would if people who are doing squat challenges are doing them totally wrong and with bad form. The repetitions would instill bad habits and could possible exacerbate/cause an injury.
    Stimulate no need to annihilate.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Why would this be worse that someone doing squats with weights and bad form?
    Both would be bad. My point was that to do a challenge with bad form isn't going to benefit them. It was to answer the "Does it REALLY matter..........." statement.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    At the end of the 30 day plank challenge was a FIVE MINUTE PLANK. It sucked, if I ever do that again it's because Jigsaw has me tied up over a spike and it's plank or die. 2 minutes is just fine for me now.

I think when I hit two minutes is when I decided that planks were boring. :laugh:

I decided that after about 20 sec. Seriously, planks are without a doubt the most loathsome exercise for me. Just hanging there counting off seconds. :noway: :explode: :sad:

Wall sits are almost as bad, but at least I have my hands free and can play on my phone for distraction.

I was still feeling pretty bada$$ about planks for a while because I still was so fat. I grew up hating wall sits - did them in high school basketball. I refuse to do those at all. :laugh:
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    At the end of the 30 day plank challenge was a FIVE MINUTE PLANK. It sucked, if I ever do that again it's because Jigsaw has me tied up over a spike and it's plank or die. 2 minutes is just fine for me now.

I think when I hit two minutes is when I decided that planks were boring. :laugh:

I decided that after about 20 sec. Seriously, planks are without a doubt the most loathsome exercise for me. Just hanging there counting off seconds. :noway: :explode: :sad:

Wall sits are almost as bad, but at least I have my hands free and can play on my phone for distraction.

I just don't get why people - other than self discipline to do the thing- would want to plank for more than a minute or two. Plank on one foot/one hand or doing some sort of up down or throw a weight drag in there- so much better than just hanging out in a plank.

Agreed - when I plank I do 60 sec left side, 60 sec right, then 60 sec full plank. This comes at the end of a half hour yoga session that includes downward facing dog and lifting one leg straight out in that pose. I think you are stimulating more muscle groups that way, no?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I CAN'T EVEN COMPLETE THE 30 DAY ICE CREAM CLEANSE!!!!!

I'll always be a slacker!

tumblr_inline_mfkdspSAiJ1r90eys.gif
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options

I just don't get why people - other than self discipline to do the thing- would want to plank for more than a minute or two. Plank on one foot/one hand or doing some sort of up down or throw a weight drag in there- so much better than just hanging out in a plank.

I'm with you on that. A one-armed plank while doing a row with the other arm (40 lb kettlebell tied to a battle rope, wrapped around the sled) was one of the toughest core exercises I've done in a while, but just sitting there for minutes at a time seems a bit boring. To each their own though.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Agreed - when I plank I do 60 sec left side, 60 sec right, then 60 sec full plank. This comes at the end of a half hour yoga session that includes downward facing dog and lifting one leg straight out in that pose. I think you are stimulating more muscle groups that way, no?

sounds like a good plan.

I do the down ward dog and straight leg combo as an actual workout/exercise.

Leg goes up and back- straight- toe pointed...

Then I pull it under my chest (like a mountain climber) then back up straight - do 10 on each side- there are some variations on that as well- but it's a great exercise- lots of arms and glute and low back and core too.
    I'm with you on that. A one-armed plank while doing a row with the other arm (40 lb kettlebell tied to a battle rope, wrapped around the sled) was one of the toughest core exercises I've done in a while, but just sitting there for minutes at a time seems a bit boring. To each their own though.

I don't have access to such things (well kind of but not the room- too much work) so I do alternating rows- but I really focus on keeping the hips level- 99% of the people I see doing these- twist their hip down to compensate.

Hardest variation I have tried is the dumbbells (one each hand) feet elevated on a balance ball. Holy crap- I have had people walk up to me and tell me there were easier way's to do that (I was like- are you effing kidding me??) whatever- but yes- doing dynamic plank things is way moar betta to me than straight plank holds.

I actually hate plank holds- they hurt- and I shake- I can hold for over a minute- but I shake about 15-20 seconds in- and it's just annoying. not my thing.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options

I do the down ward dog and straight leg combo as an actual workout/exercise.

Leg goes up and back- straight- toe pointed...

Then I pull it under my chest (like a mountain climber) then back up straight - do 10 on each side- there are some variations on that as well- but it's a great exercise- lots of arms and glute and low back and core too.

This sounds neat - I will definitely give it a shot!