Co-workers are not about this life...

Options
124»

Replies

• MariaChele85
    MariaChele85 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I remember once my office won a gift card for like $100 from the CEO and my coworker said " Don't give it to Maria, she'll just buy lettuce with it"....i felt like saying F**k yOu, skINNY b**ch! <<<<<< can i say that on here LOL
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

but giving some hell about the food their eating ISN"T jerkish?

it's a good come back when used appropriately- I wouldn't use it on the secretary asking about going to Primo hoagey because she forgot a lunch.

The guy that stands over me and gives me 20 minutes of crap about why I'm eating the way I do? double barrels.

Food is a personal choice- it doesn't affect anyone else what I put in my mouth (dirty joke GO)... people are incredibly mean and hostile because they take food personally when you decline it- it's a social thing- and it's a personal expression of someone' feelings often times- rejecting that CAN create hostility- no matter how innocent the rejection.

if someone is acting rude about my food- you're damn right I'm going to be a jerk. There is a time and a place to lay it on- most of the times- a simple no thank you will work.

But having a good zinger on the back burner is always helpful.

Absolutely ma'am, I agree with you. I completely understand and can relate to folks who feel the need to comment and judge everything I decide to eat. I will admit that my initial mental image was of my supervisor who loves to go out and grab some of us breakfast from a sandwich shop down the road. Imagine the most delicious, diet destroying, homemade breakfast sandwich. I pictured her walking in and holding the bag open asking if I wanted one and the look on her face as I told her I would like her if I ate like her. I feel like just thinking about it means the next time I go see my mom, she is going to give me a stern talking to about how I was raised. It just makes more sense to me to let these kind of issues remain the seldom cared about, mole hill type of issue rather than raising the level of angst or tension over lunch. Even when I go out with some of my co-workers, they will make a comment here or there about the menu. Who cares, we laugh, we eat, we move on.

yeah that's a use wisely comment- or on someone who has a really good sense of humor.

I don't pull it out on people who are genuinely doing "food" things- at lunch time- part of moderation and learning about this stuff is how to function in society with it. I eat out with my BF all the time- bulking or cutting- we make it work- he's attentive to my diet- but I also make room and work around the fact that just because I'm not eating a lot doesn't mean we can't go enjoy a nice meal out or whatever- you have to still function in society. happy medium and all.

I am sometimes surprised at the amount of snark people get- perhaps I'm just forward and clear enough I don't bother- or maybe I scare people (I've been told I do that) but I don't put up with rubbish judging about my food- all in good fun is one thing- but actual snark- nope nope nope.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    as someone who enjoys life and pretty much does a lot of what I find fun but is outside of most social norms while being "normal", I find this thread title offensively pretentious.
    I just found it nutty. That's why I came in here at all... to find out how coworkers were somehow related to a past life, or the afterlife, or some such. :laugh:
  • littlelaura
    littlelaura Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    I ate healthy at my last job and most people didn't say a word but some just questioned certain foods I ate , like a half a sweet potato for breakfast for example. Its healthy I liked it and it filled me up. They had their munchies days with junk food galore, I would make sure to bring someone store bought as I wasn't going to ever have it in my house. I would eat my own food separate yet contribute to their merriment lol. I never let anyone commenting bother me, they were rather supportive even if they themselves ate like garbage they still said they wished they could eat healthy, maybe someday..... I didn't eat perfect for the record but did and do try hard. Ignore it really its your life live it as you see fit.
  • rfaaumu
    rfaaumu Posts: 6
    Options
    Thank the person for her invitation to lunch. Your gratitude shows that you appreciate the offer and softens your upcoming refusal to attend.

Example: I'm sorry, I won't be able to meet with you at lunch today because my schedule is packed." Offer an appropriate, specific reason, if possible, such as you already have a lunch meeting or you're working through lunch to meet a deadline.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    That's a tricky one. I've been on both sides of this issue and it sucks for everyone. When I started my current job, half of the office was (in my opinion) obsessed with losing weight and eating healthy foods. It seemed like that was all they talked about, so feeling like the fat kid out probably provoked a few nasty glares on my part. I hated feeling guilty for grabbing a snack from the break room or eating potato chips with my lunch. Then, however, as I slowly became more health concious I became one of "them". It's hard knowing that my health kick can be an annoyance to my office mates, yet being totally excited about the results I'm seeing because of it.

yeah, I can relate to this too. I have mostly (in the past) worked with women who wanted to talk at top volume from 8 am to 11 am about how wonderful their Body by Vi, Shakeology, 17 Day Diet, or Atkins was working out for them...then either go out to lunch or cook bacon and eggs in the office and eat it while whining about how much they hated it...then talk from 2-5 pm about what they were going to make their families for dinner but they CAN'T EAT THAT because of (insert name of diet).

That was awkward for me then, and would still be awkward for me now. LOL

My office now is mostly men and no one cares about what I eat and they don't eat in the office or talk about their dietary habits thank goodness. But the last place I worked before this, a year ago, the obnoxious women in my office were on the 17 Day Diet and bragged all the time about losing 13 lb, gaining back 9 lb, losing 10 lb then gaining 4 lb and so on. They had been doing this for years and average was to be down by a total of maybe 15-20 lb. I told them I'd lost a bit over 20 lb in a few months on MFP and it was *crickets* but now they see me in Target and stare because I've lost a huge amount in the past year. HA!
  • SeattleJill
    SeattleJill Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I must work with your co-workers as well lol. I find that it helps if I make it about money and not about losing weight. My standard is, "Nope. I'm saving up for a big trip/shoes/bag/whatever generic thing they like talking about that will distract them from what I'm eating". Honest? not really, but sometimes a small lie to people I don't really care about is worth not having to deal with the passive agressive side eyes and comments for the rest of the afternoon. The women in my office get all sorts of weird about food, and I'm the biggest one out of them.
  • notsorrymrsjackson
    Options
    as someone who enjoys life and pretty much does a lot of what I find fun but is outside of most social norms while being "normal", I find this thread title offensively pretentious.
    I just found it nutty. That's why I came in here at all... to find out how coworkers were somehow related to a past life, or the afterlife, or some such. :laugh:

I often forget that people from all over don't and outside of my "circle" don't use the same sayings and/or take them differently than meant… kind of supposed to be an exaggerated description/or response said with a little wink … someone would say "hey candice want to go eat and entire pizza" "nope, I'm not about that life"… said with a smile and a wink, not to be a ****.. but i guess some people can be sensitive..
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at my work. Gigi's cup cake and pizza is the favorite and they laugh at me all the time. I want to show them that this can work. Need all the help I can get.
    Show them what? That needlessly restricting certain foods and becoming paranoid that people inviting you out to eat are out to ruin you? Or that you're superior because you don't go out to eat?

That, doesn't work at all, actually.

Seriously, the superiority complexes in this thread are pretty disturbing...
  • hirstrl
    hirstrl Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    oh my. I have this same issue. everyday its out to eat and they always ask if i want some. we have food catered in regularly and its alway pizza or pasta. everyone brings treats on their birthdays and during the holidays. i always say no and go home for lunch because then i can easily control what i eat. but when i come back the whole office smells like chinese food or french fries. now lately the comments have accompanied the offer. "we're getting arby's but i know u will say no mrs. healthy" very frustrating!!
  • Go out to eat with them if you want and get a side salad with grilled chicken and salsa...Can't go wrong with that....I work in the ICU and they have Chick Fila Saturday and eat them one by one...I just smile and say no thank that I am so full from breakfast from this am....
  • ClassicVegan
    ClassicVegan Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank the person for her invitation to lunch. Your gratitude shows that you appreciate the offer and softens your upcoming refusal to attend.

Example: I'm sorry, I won't be able to meet with you at lunch today because my schedule is packed." Offer an appropriate, specific reason, if possible, such as you already have a lunch meeting or you're working through lunch to meet a deadline.

Perfect. Be grateful they want to include you, but do what is best for you.
  • notsorrymrsjackson
    Options
    I'm really surprised at the amount of negative responses this thread generated…. in no way do i think I'm superior. Im not a pretentious person. I'm not paranoid that they will ruin my progress. i was merely pointing out that they are not interested being healthy and they make me feel bad about the fact that I'm making changes to my life.
    Today was my first day on the message boards and i came on the "support" page to see if people were going thru the same things that i am… and there are some people who have experienced this…. but some of the comments on here are surprising to say the least..
  • bamadwl
    bamadwl Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    If I'm asked to go out to lunch, I'l tell them that I brought my lunch. If they insist, I decline and tell them that I'm going to try to eat and get a walk in during my lunch. Most the guys in my office are on board with it though, Sorry for the negativity. :-(
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    My line is now "No thanks, cupcakes give you muffin tops," delivered with a smile and laugh, whenever someone in my office gives me crap for declining something.Then I change the subject. Hasn't failed yet.