1235»

Replies

• blackcloud13
    blackcloud13 Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Looked up tennis players and footballers that were my roughly my height
  • thecastlefords
    Options
    The absolute best way to determine what your goal weight should be is a DEXA body scan. As people have pointed out, BMI is highly flawed and although it might give you a good starting point, it's not much more useful than knowing that you have to lose "some weight" (which you already know). There is nothing wrong with the "low end" of BMI ranges; where some people say "if I weighed that, I'd look like a skeleton) - and some people would; the problem with it is that it's encompassing all sorts of body builds and muscle composition and so on. So really, pretty useless.

A DEXA scan is a safe, non-invasive body scan which measures the weight (and density) of your bones; the weight of your internal organs, muscle, and fat. We know with a very good degree of accuracy what appropriate fat percentages are; so your organs + muscle + bones + miscellaneous + healthy percentage of fat = your ideal weight; to state the obvious (follow through); your current weight, minus all of that, is what you have to lose.

DEXAs are also very motivating because you see the healthy "you" underneath. For many people, an important step in the self-esteem and self-confidence journey is learning to be comfortable in their own skin, regardless of their size; in fact, that is perhaps THE most important step for everyone - to realise that your worth is not tied to your weight! However, once you've reached that step, there is another step to go: the weight you feel "comfortable" at may not be the weight that is healthiest for you. There are a lot of very real, very valid psychological and emotional ties which may keep us tied to a certain weight; but for the sake of our health and well-being, we need to (at the appropriate time) identify those and move on from them.

While it may be, for you, a very important and valid step to realise "Not only am I never going to weight what I did when I was 16, I don't *want* to!" - we have to identify the *why* of that: is it because we feel it's unattainable, or would our weight at 16 actually be unhealthy for us?

For instance, I thought for a long time that my high-school weight was where I needed to be: not out of any twisted desire for over-thin-ness, but because I was actually quite fit in high school and had a good figure (I mean, I had a chest and a bum, (normal sized), so I knew that my weight in high school wasn't lower *because* I "had no figure back then". I hadn't grown in height since then, either, so I figured it was reasonable.

It wasn't until I got one of my later DEXA scans where my physiologist and I were able to put together that I'd actually gained muscle since high school (which I really hadn't expected, as I was quite active in HS). Consequently, my ideal weight is about 15-20 kg higher than it was in HS (that's 33 - 44 lb for the Americans :) ) Nevertheless, this ideal weight doesn't leave me with the common-definition of "curvy" (aka, kind of chubby our rounded); there's no extra weight to be concerned with (particularly abdominal fat).

A really interesting exercise for me was getting my mum to come and have a DEXA scan as well; we're the same height (actually, she's a little taller, about an inch), and have similar builds (and let's just say what we all know; the talk about "big bones" is, generally speaking, big BS!) - anyway: so when we compared our scans, her body fat was good (11%, which is fine for an athletic woman), but she actually has 15 kg less muscle than I have (also, it showed a warning-level of bone density loss, which is another excellent reason to get the scans and stay on top of them). So, even with her extra inch in height, if I were her weight, plus my extra muscle weight, give or take a couple kg, I'd be in the right place. Anyway, it was just fun to see the scans side by side - motivating, too!

Bottom line: body fat % (as measured by a water-volume test; electric impedance measures like Tanita scales are good, but not as accurate), or a DEXA scan are the only really accurate way to go, and DEXA scans, as I said, have the advantage of being really motivating. A bit confronting, maybe, to see yourself and all your fat out there (you get a glorious colour picture!) - but then you see the "you" underneath it all, and it's pretty cool. If you know you're within 5-10 kg or 10-15 pounds of your ideal, you don't "need" it (although I'd still recommend it because it's ultra cool; also, it's excellent because you can measure your muscle growth!); but then, if you're that close to your goal weight, you're probably not lurking on this thread!

However, if you're not in a position to readily get a DEXA scan, as one of the other posters said - just take it a bit at a time. Set yourself a goal which is very unlikely to be "too much" - say, start with the first 5 kg or 10 pounds; make that "goal number 1", get there, and then set the next goal. Journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, anyway!
  • konerusp
    konerusp Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    150 puts me in a healthy BMI,I really liked the way I looked at 145,I dont like to be too skinny,I like to be a little built and toned.So,somewhere around that,I should be happy.Im not too stuck on the number,im more on being healthy and feeling confident in my own skin.
  • jalence
    jalence Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    My goal is to get back to my prepregnancy weight. It's only been 18 years...
  • odddrums
    odddrums Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    I originally thought below 180 was my goal weight, but then I got there a year ago and still felt chubby and weak, so I gained some strength and maintained around 190, now I'm trying to drop in a more sustainable manner. We'll see how things go this time around.

But yeah, I just figured around 180 was good, but at this point I don't have a goal weight, just whatever I get to and look good naked, feel strong, and can do all the things I'd like to do.
  • ghouliejulie85
    ghouliejulie85 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I think for me, it's more of a "let's see how my body looks" type of thing and of course not being under weight.
  • Technolero
    Options
    At 162 I seem to loose that little roll in my tummy. That's when it gets flat and people notice. I shoot for at least that.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    Mine is 5 lbs more than when I graduated from high school, but I might change it later. It will depend on how I look as I lose more weight.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,509 Member
    Options
    Find out your lean body weight.

Then figure out what body fat % you want to be at.

Then apply to the formula:

LEAN BODY WEIGHT/ (1- BF%)

So say one is 150lb lean body weight and wants to be 15% in body fat.

150/ .85 = 176lbs

So 176lbs would be the target for this individual.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    My favorite weight was 135 in my 30's. I am 5'7.
    But now, at age 55, I am working towards 140 as my goal.
    Or close to it...we will see.
  • SunnyDuckling
    SunnyDuckling Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8". My long-term goal weight is actually a size. At my healthiest and fittest I was AUS size 12. I have so many clothes from that size that I've held onto and just can't seem to let go of. So, ideally, I'd like to get back there again. That was when I was 68kg (150lbs). Mind you, this was ten years ago when I was 19. *shrugs* It's quite possibly not going to happen again. But, I will aim for it.
    At this point in time though, my first intermediate goal is to get down to 90kg (200lbs) from where I am now at 100kg (220lbs). It's when I can fit an AUS size 18 which is the 'smallest' of the plus sizes.
  • misslovely97
    misslovely97 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Initially it was using the classic formula of My_Height_in_cm - 110cm = Perfect_weight_in_KG, so for my case is 171-110 = 61kg.

Later on I had a friend who was the same height, relatively the same built as me and I asked her how much she was weighing as she had the body that I did wish I had - she said 59kg, so I decided that maybe at the result given to me by my old school formula I will look quite great.

But then again, in the past few years, I've realized that weight is not all that important because I might be at a greater weight but have the same body size as someone who is much lighter than I am due to difference in muscle mass. So, right now I'm semi-aiming at that weight, but also aiming at those skinny jeans size 6 that I bought many moons ago that I want to squeeze in and in which I know I will look quite alright :P
    I used that formula, and for me it comes out left than 100 pounds!! :O Nuh-uh. Never :D
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I did two things that agreed.
    1. 100lbs + 5lbs*every inch over 5'. That gave me 145 at 5"9
    2. Estimated my body fat (don't remember if I used my scale that reads it electronically or tape measure and calculator method), decided, picked the body fat level I wanted, and then calculated how much fat I would need to lose. This isn't real accurate and doesn't take into account muscle loss, but it's a start, and better than #1. This gave me about 145 as well.

I got to 145 and wasn't happy so I reset to 140. Now, I really like the way I look, but I'm pushing the envelope a bit to see if I can see abs at some point so I'm still losing really slowly. I don't want to go under 135.

Good luck!
  • kinmoratree
    kinmoratree Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    My current goal weight is actually ten pounds heavier than my original goal weight and twenty pounds heavier than I should weigh according to the "experts".

I picked it because what I really want to do is get to my current goal and hold it for a year while I work on getting stronger and more flexible. After a year maintaining that weight, I'll decide if I really need to lose another ten or not.

There's no magic number or formula and nothing is set in stone. I may change my mind tomorrow, but for now this is how I plan on proceeding.
  • PJPrimrose
    PJPrimrose Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    Admittedly, I'm entirely lazy. The standard weight class a 5'9" female fighter is 140-145 lbs. The exact middle of the road weight for my BMI is 145. Viola! I now weigh 145.
  • Dtho5159
    Dtho5159 Posts: 1,054 Member
    Options
    I have a large frame and my whole family is large (my dad weighed 350-400lb my entire life) and my dr gave me a goal of 180-190. I kinda want to prove him wrong and go less so I said 170 but like I told my husband last night, I will see when I get anywhere near there how I feel and if I want to lose more then I will work on it and stop when Im comfortable.
  • Preed1013
    Preed1013 Posts: 11
    Options
    I picked my goal weight by looking at the height and weight charts online. Most of them agreed that a 5'11" female should weigh 160. I thought that was a little low, and I prefer the look of curvy women so I set my goal weight at 180. Additionally I remember a time my mom was 180, She looked smokin'! and we have the same body type and height so I think I'll look great at that weight. home this helps!
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    When I first started I didn't even have a goal weight. Once I was working out for a couple of months and saw the diffference on the scale, I thought WoW I can do this! Then I started setting attainable,small 5-7 lb goals. Once I hit the 30 lb lost mark I felt happy & confident so stopped losing. I maintained this for a little over a year, and now I'm ready to get moving again with a goal of losing 10. I've already seen 4 lbs come off so I upped it to 15. Atttainable, short term goals.
  • DerROK
    DerROK Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I show clients asking the same question the Athlean-xx(TM) 'body fat range' images (there is one for men and one for women) and ask them what they would ideally like to look like (btw you can google them): regardless if they don't have an idea what they have as their 'target weight' and even if they think they know what 'target weight' they want. Aesthetically, most folk don't want to be either of the extremes they see!

Then I use pincers to take a body fat reading and take circumference measurements to use with the US Navy Circumference Method (comparing the pincer % with the circumference %). Some gyms may have machines that they can use for the reading instead of pincers, but I think its also worth tracking your circumferences as well, even though it is not accurate for everybody it is encouraging to track circumferences.

My client can now track progress using circumference changes (which they can also self measure) and not just by the weight scales, which can be misleading.

As over time I expect a few lbs of lbm increase (when you see how small a few lbs of muscle look like compared to fat this is actually a very small change and not bulking!), I like to revisit the pincer and target weight every month. If you think about it this way, a few lb extra lbm means you need to fine tune your target weight, but it can power off many, many lbs and lbs of bulky fat!

Often, the circumference changes are more encouraging than the weigh scale changes as you move closer to your target weight/Body Fat %.

Now, it's true that pincers are not 100% accurate and US Navy Circumference is not etc, but I find this a better method than wishfully wanting to be the same weight I was at 18 etc or the mad height calculation I have just seen given in this thread lol

Good Luck on your journey :smile:
  • sphkhn
    sphkhn Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I put 140 because that puts me in my healthy BMI range not that I think that matters all that much, but really I have a goal size I want to be a size 8 pant and a size 10 shirt/dress. I know when I was an adolescent with very little fat and no boobs I was still an 8/10 because of my frame. At a size 12 I can already see my hip bones (underneath my tummy) so I know I'm not going to try for a size 4 when that is not my body.