If I eat breakfast, I get hungry

14567810»

Replies

• sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Great topic, I've been wondering the neccesity of breakfast lately. I typically stick to coffee in the morning, but everyone says eat breakfast or you will be fat. All the special K commercials, etc. have people thinking that having a bowl of cereal in the morning is going to make them skinny, when to me, in reality, cereal just makes me HANGRY (hungry + angry lol) and I found that I waste precious calories on it when I can either be starving and not eat it, or starving AFTER I eat it...ugh. So I think i'll stick to skipping breakfast in the morning or having something small like a banana that won't take up too many calories but still give me a LITTLE bit of energy. Plus coffee :)
  • serena60
    serena60 Posts: 3
    I've started doing the 5/2 diet and have noticed that if I eat breakfast I get really hungry well before lunchtime. If I don't eat breakfast, I don't feel hungry all day. Today I had green tea with lemon at 7am, drank water throughout the morning then started to feel a bit hungry at 2pm so had an apple. It's 5pm now and I thought I should eat something so had a ricecake and cheese spread. It makes me wonder if I should give up eating breakfast unless I'm actually hungry first thing.
  • caranais
    caranais Posts: 101 Member
    I'm the same. I was only ever a couple of pounds overweight until all the hype started about how awful it was not to eat breakfast, so I started. Of course I was adding another meal to my daily calories, so gradually gained more and more, and was always hungry so started having a morning snack as well (something I had never done before by the way), Now I only eat when I'm genuinely hungry and have started losing weight again. I think we should listen to our own bodies and not everyone else, as it all changes every few years anyway. Whatever works for us.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    I've started doing the 5/2 diet and have noticed that if I eat breakfast I get really hungry well before lunchtime. If I don't eat breakfast, I don't feel hungry all day. Today I had green tea with lemon at 7am, drank water throughout the morning then started to feel a bit hungry at 2pm so had an apple. It's 5pm now and I thought I should eat something so had a ricecake and cheese spread. It makes me wonder if I should give up eating breakfast unless I'm actually hungry first thing.

Thanks for bumping this, I really needed to read it. I'm doing JUDDD, 500 on fast days and 1725 on feast days. I haven't eaten and I feel fine today, which is a fast day for me. I plan to eat something at 4pm, and finish eating two hours before bed which also works out to an 8 hour window since I go to bed late. I've been doing this for a week and I love it.

I could not eat 500 calories if I started eating early. Forcing myself to eat breakfast definitely made me hungrier. I think more important than eating breakfast is having structure in your eating. That may be why dieters who eat breakfast do better, because the traditional structure calls for breakfast. Whereas people who try to just eat whenever but who haven't learned to eat intuitively may overeat when they do get hungry later.

I have plenty of energy and my mind is clear, I don't need or want breakfast. I feel free, lol.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    I've heard of people who have something like 30 g of protein at breakfast and say they aren't hungry for the rest of the day. I've heard of people doing that for lunch just like you and having that be okay.

I say do what works for you.
  • sabinecbauer
    sabinecbauer Posts: 250 Member
    After twenty-five years of not eating breakfast for precisely those reasons, I tried to do breakfast because of all the learned people (who obviously are intimately familiar with my personal metabolism) telling me that I have to because... world peace, alien invasions and the welfare of the burrowing owl.

I ended up hungry all day and didn't lose weight.

And then I decided to listen to my body rather than all the learned people and guess what? I do no breakfast, carbs after 3:00 pm, and a midnight snack ('cos I like a treat when I'm reading in bed), and I'm back to losing weight.

Bottom line: I like my body's practice a whole lot better than the learned people's theory.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    and a midnight snack ('cos I like a treat when I'm reading in bed), and I'm back to losing weight.

Bottom line: I like my body's practice a whole lot better than the learned people's theory.

Me too, I like the late snack too. But of course, the learned also say you shouldn't eat after 7pm or whatever. Not sure why but I eat till midnight
  • Fenrissa
    Fenrissa Posts: 116
    Don't eat breakfast, then. Meal timing is irrelevant.