WHITE vs BROWN RICE - or NO RICE?

Options

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Brown Rice or Quinoa

^This. Brown rice is a slow-release carb when compared to white rice.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I barely eat any carbs in the beginning stages of weight loss. Before a workout I carb up a tad bit. However, I know it is good to have just a little bit of carbs sprinkled in daily. I am having my usual steamed chicken and veggies dinner. If I am going to have a SMALL (1/2 pint) of rice, should I go white or brown? What I have read is brown has more calories but more nutrients, and white rice is considered, "empty calories." Opinions and thoughts? Will it hurt my weight loss if I cannot exercise to burn it off after?
    NO RICE

and if you must use rice sparingly
    remember Rice is a filler
    And why exactly does it have to be used sparingly?

A filler? What does that mean? I enjoy eat white or yellow rice with my chicken or beef. Are you saying that's bad?
    Yes it is a filler its cheap way to supplement meals. When I go out for thai food I order without rice or noodles and I feel just fine. When I go to a mexican resturant I orer al la carte for a chile colorado burrito and i only eat the chile i feel fine and satisfied and i save a good 6 dollars.
    Back in the day I would go to a resturant (loyally went for years every friday night) and when I brought I coupon they would give me3/4 of the plate of rice and beans and jip me on the meat. cause it was a filler and they were losing money by doing buy one get one free.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    I barely eat any carbs in the beginning stages of weight loss. Before a workout I carb up a tad bit. However, I know it is good to have just a little bit of carbs sprinkled in daily. I am having my usual steamed chicken and veggies dinner. If I am going to have a SMALL (1/2 pint) of rice, should I go white or brown? What I have read is brown has more calories but more nutrients, and white rice is considered, "empty calories." Opinions and thoughts? Will it hurt my weight loss if I cannot exercise to burn it off after?
    NO RICE

Why no rice?

Rice, specifically brown rice, has tons of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It's also very high in fiber which can help stabilize digestion.
  • EvanKeel
    EvanKeel Posts: 1,904 Member
    Options
    NO RICE

A filler? What does that mean? I enjoy eat white or yellow rice with my chicken or beef. Are you saying that's bad?
    Yes it is a filler its cheap way to supplement meals. When I go out for thai food I order without rice or noodles and I feel just fine. When I go to a mexican resturant I orer al la carte for a chile colorado burrito and i only eat the chile i feel fine and satisfied and i save a good 6 dollars.
    Back in the day I would go to a resturant (loyally went for years every friday night) and when I brought I coupon they would give me3/4 of the plate of rice and beans and jip me on the meat. cause it was a filler and they were losing money buy doing buy one get one free.

I, too, tend to avoid getting rice or noodles when I go out because I can usually find tastier things to fit into my daily calories (e.g. ice cream). The rice doesn't do much for me, whereas I'll enjoy the ice cream much more. In that sense, I frequently find rice to be a filler.

However

If someone has the available calories, and they like it, eat it. It's a perfectly fine energy source.
  • JoshTheGiant
    JoshTheGiant Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Neither. Go quinoa or CousCous

I have never heard of either of those until this thread blew up.
  • mmm_drop
    mmm_drop Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with rice (brown or white) as long as it fits into your calorie goal.

/thread

^ this

Because this needs to be on the second page.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options

Brown rice doesn't have more calories than white rice.

1 cup Success brown rice= 150 calories, 33 g carbs, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein

1 cup Success white rice= 190 calories, 43 g carbs, 0 g fiber, 4 g protein
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    NO RICE

Back in the day I would go to a resturant (loyally went for years every friday night) and when I brought I coupon they would give me3/4 of the plate of rice and beans and jip me on the meat. cause it was a filler and they were losing money by doing buy one get one free.

Sounds like perfectly sound and logical advice. Sucks you're missing out on great thai dishes like pad kee mao due to refusal to eat noodles or rice
  • thatgirlkellib
    thatgirlkellib Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Im in for the low sodium goya yellow rice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    This is probably not going to end well :drinker:

I love me some Brown Rice with my chicken or fish. Can't stand white rice anymore.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    NO RICE

Sounds like perfectly sound and logical advice. Sucks you're missing out on great thai dishes like pad kee mao due to refusal to eat noodles or rice
    I've had my decade of eating thai food homemade or not I'm not missing it (the rice and noodles) The last time I had thai food i got SOUP and thai salad lovely
  • teddylee337
    teddylee337 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Wild Rice because it taste better. <3
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I eat plenty of very specific rices, like brown mekong flower, jasmine, himalayan red, stuff like that. In general the brown, red, black, and wild rices do have more calories than the white rices, but not by a lot. They also have about the same amount of fiber and protein, +/- a gram. It's a matter of taste. There's nothing quite like the rich taste of a brown or red rice.

For some reason I have never liked the black "forbidden" rice, though.
  • Lalasharni
    Lalasharni Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with rice (brown or white) as long as it fits into your calorie goal.

/thread

The above! there is no bad carb, just varying types.. Brown rice has more fiber but I like white rice myself. Keep within your macros, and eat what you like.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Eat whichever you like better. I prefer white rice. Neither are going to hinder your weight loss assuming you have your cals in check.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    Options
    By the way, I read your profile and saw you are a borderline type 2 diabetic which means you are most likey insulin resistant as well. You NEED to watch your carb intake closely. I'm not diabetic but I'm insulin resistant and hypoglycemic so I have to watch my carb intake as well. Stay away from white bread, white rice, white bagels, cakes, cookies, muffins, and other refined carbs. You need to stick to complex carbs only i.e. brown rice, whole grain bread/bagel/english muffin, sweet potatoes, and veggies. For fruits, berries are low GI meaning they have little effect on blood sugar. Green apples and green grapes > red apples and red grapes (less carbs). Make sure you have protein with every meal/snack to stabilize blood sugar and prevent spikes and drops.