Bee Pollen Diet Supplements..Fact or Fiction?

Options
124»

Replies

• iampolished2
    Options
    Hi all. I am a big fan of bee pollen. I took it 2 years ago and went from 255 to 180 in 5 months, losing 33lbs the 1st month with no exercise or change in diet. It is true you will go to the bathroom a lot, if your diet consist of a lot of fatty stuff. But it certainly is not a LAXATIVE EFFECT. More cleansing and empting. After a accident, and gaining back 20lbs. I have already order my pills. No jitters, no side effects at all, has been my experience. I did realize that consistency in taking daily was the key alone with water. I must say this has been the best thing I have ever tried and had great success. Like with anything you will plateau after about 3 months, but give it a break, a chance to clear out your system and start again. Lastly I must ADD, that I have been a Nurse for over 16 years, and very cautious about taking anything, until I found this. Now I have recommended to many family and friends on there quest to get healthy. My only caution is BEWARE of the fakes, because the results are not the same, trust me, I tried the cheap one... Did not work, so I stick to what does. Good Luck"`
  • krobertcynthia
    Options
    I am currently trying bee pollen ! When ever you take something you need to go on a reliable website like web md or another acredited site to do research ! ANYONE CAN POST ANYTHING TO THE INTERNET . I have been taking it for just about a week now . I have experienced the stomach pains however some supplements can cause your stomach muscles to tighten or flex themselves causing pain, also it has helped me with my ibs ( it helps me poop !), which could also cause the stomach pains or the person has a condition it is reacting with. Anything you take has side effects research and determine if the good outways the bad . I do not take the weight loss one, I take the capsules I believe made by Organic Bee Farms !
  • bri2378
    bri2378 Posts: 1
    Options
    I have been taking bee pollen for a week or two now. I read all of the reports on it good and bad. My friend is an RN and her whole floor takes it. Also another friend of mine takes it, she works with nurses and doctors who also is on it. So I figured since I am not allergic to bees and I have no pre existing conditions at 39 years of age I should be alright.
    My very first pill I did feel hyper, got a slight headache, and my mouth was extremely dry. I had to stop after the first pill because I had a sinus infection and I didn't want to take any other drugs with this pill. So a week later I started again, I didn't get that hyper feeling right away and just as fast as it came it went. No dry mouth, but I do find that in waking up the next day I have a slight headache. Now I don't know if it's my PMS, because I get headaches around that time to. So I can really only say is my side effects are slight headaches. I only get dry mouth once in awhile, but that's after I don't drink for awhile then I notice how dry it really is.
    It's to early to talk about weight loss. But I will say that I have noticed that I am only hungry around my mealtimes, if I properly eat my three squares a day. I don't snack as much though.
    So that's all for now and I will return if I see any side effects or when and if I start losing weight. Also everyone is different. So not one person will feel the same and others might not get anything out of this. I'm a CMA and I want to tell those who want to try it to read up on it first. Then ask others that you may know. If you have any conditions, allergic to bees, or take any heavy medications. Please do not try. There are plenty other ways to lose weight, help allergy's, and give you good skin and hair. Your health is more important than anything.
  • melissat888250
    melissat888250 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    FICTION. I saw a stand advertising it at a local cranberry festival in the fall and thought that was strange, so I looked it up. Sorry to burst your bubble. I found a study about it back in October when I first saw it but idk if I could find it again.
  • dad22eagles
    dad22eagles Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    10-24-2012] The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers not to purchase or use “Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen Capsules,” also referred to as “Zi Xiu Tang Beauty, Face & Figure Capsule,” a product promoted and sold for weight loss and body reshaping. This product is promoted on www.zixiutangsuccess.com, and possibly sold in some retail stores.

FDA laboratory analysis confirmed that “Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen Capsules” contains sibutramine. Sibutramine is a controlled substance that was removed from the market in October 2010 for safety reasons. The product poses a threat to consumers because sibutramine is known to substantially increase blood pressure and/or pulse rate in some patients and may present a significant risk for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, or stroke. This product may also interact, in life-threatening ways, with other medications a consumer may be taking.

Consumers should stop using this product immediately and throw it away. Consumers who have experienced any negative side effects should consult a health care professional as soon as possible.
    Health care professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:

Complete and submit the report online: www.fda.gov/MedWatch/report.htm
    Download form or call 1-800-332-1088 to request a reporting form, then complete and return to the address on the pre-addressed form, or submit by fax to 1-800-FDA-0178

Note: This notification is to inform the public of a growing trend of products marketed as dietary supplements or conventional foods with hidden drugs and chemicals. These products are typically promoted for sexual enhancement, weight loss, and body building, and are often represented as being “all natural.” FDA is unable to test and identify all products marketed as dietary supplements that have potentially harmful hidden ingredients. Consumers should exercise caution before purchasing any product in the above categories.

http://www.fda.gov/Drugs/ResourcesForYou/Consumers/BuyingUsingMedicineSafely/MedicationHealthFraud/ucm325537.htm
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I am a contractor for the FDA and I don't know how anyone can believe this *#^%(*#. Bee pollen and other supplements are completely untested, unverified products that often contain harmful additives. The FDA has to prove that a supplement is unsafe; the manufacturer does not have to prove that the product is safe or that it works. Manufactures will often include active pharmaceutical ingredients.

For example, we just posted a massive recall for Super Fat Burner, Maxi Gold, and Esmeralda Dietary Supplements because they contain sibutramine and phenolphthalein. Both sibutramine and phenolphthalein are banned in the US because sibutramine causes an increased risk of seizures, heart attacks, arrhythmia, and strokes and "concerns of carcinogenicity" with phenolphthalein. (Recall: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm390608.htm)

We also just posted a recall for a weight loss drug called Alli because of "concerns of authenticity." Essentially, consumers across the country reported that their bottles of pills contained pills of various shapes, sizes, and colors. The supplement industry is so unregulated that people can break into the bottles and swap pills. Gross. (Recall: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/ucm391004.htm)

tl;dr Never take a supplement that is not FDA approved.
  • p2smommy
    p2smommy Posts: 64
    Options
    I take the real thing - local bee pollen and local honey - to help with allergies. I am not allergic to it, so no problems to report. I have not taken it for weight loss (nor would I) and have not seen that as an effect, but it definitely has made my seasonal allergies less troublesome.

I wouldn't bother with anything that wasn't locally produced.

If you have bad seasonal allergies.. ^^^^^THAT^^^^^ is correct. If you go to a local bee/honey farm and get bee pollen and honey from a local (to you) hive, your allergy symptoms will diminish. I've done it off and on for years since hearing about it. I've not personally tried the bee pollen capsules in question, but I do have a cousin who told me about them, but has not seen any difference in taking them.

I have heard of local honey helping in an assortment of ways.. from weight loss to arthritis and other maladies. As one PP said, it's all dependent upon the person, too.
  • likeabanner
    likeabanner Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I just started taking Bee Pollen that I got from vitamin shoppe this week not only to see if the myths about weight loss are true, but apparently it's wonderful for allergies and helps with energy. I work 70-80 hours weekly between 2 jobs and try to maintain a household, keep up with my dog, study for school, and get to the gym. I am DRAINED when I get out of work so I never want to do anything else but vegetate.

So far I have noticed my energy levels are better, but I haven't noticed much with my weight. A b-complex has never helped with my metabolism or energy and I am trying to not rely on caffeine so much. This is sort of my last ditch effort at some energy to get me through life. I also go for allergy shots so I have no idea if my seasonal allergies this year are not as bad from being on allergy shots for 6 years, or because of this bee pollen. We do not have any local farms to purchase local honey or bee pollen from so I figured this was worth a shot.

I also forgot to add that when I was in the hospital with MRSA in February, a couple of the RN's actually recommended it as it has wonderful antibiotic properties (it helps build immunity), as well as help with the oxygenation of your blood by increasing your red and white blood cell counts. I am iron anemic so I am not well oxygenated anyway.

And no it's not that funky Chinese name.
  • Rabicka
    Rabicka Posts: 2
    Options
    My personal experience with taking the bee pollen pill was both positive and negative. I also started using them because a few of my friends were and i saw great results with weight loss. In 4 weeks I lost 18 pounds which I was blown away because I didn't do anything different other than take the pills. They did give me cotton mouth even with drinking a lot of water and they made me break out with acne. A month after I stopped using them 1 lost another 10 pounds. The pills didn't take my hunger away, they just changed what I felt like eating, so when it came to ANYTHING that had grease in it, it had me in the bathroom within 30 minutes. I dubbed them the magical "pooping" pills because they keep you in the bathroom if you eat greasy food or food with too much sugar in it. I didn't feel an increase in energy but I did feel my heart beat increase a bit which I didn't like. My sister in law tried them and she did end up in the ER because of them speeding up her heart. I'd advise to take them at your own risk! They did work for me to help lose weight but with side effects. Hope that helps someone! God Bless :)
  • sexygirl4444
    Options
    I have using bee pollen for a while that I got from Ultimate Weight Loss and have been on the right track thus far. I seem to be feeling the effects of it. I saw this forum and am glad I found a place to give more insight on my weight loss goal.

I want to lose 15 more pounds and I am on my way.
  • starsybyll
    starsybyll Posts: 32
    Options
    I just started Slim Trim U and I have spoken to several girls who lost up to 5-10lbs a week. I diet and exercise heavily and was unable to lose a single pound I gained from SSRIs. I started taking Hydroxycut, raspberry ketones, Gaia Diet Slim and now this. After I started taking supplements was the first time in months I saw the scale move. I will add more information after a week or two on Slim Trim U.

Also, I don't like how negative people here are toward supplements. They're called supplements because they're meant to supplement a diet and exercise routine. I spent 2 months dieting and exercising super hard and just could not lose anything because my metabolism was screwed from Zoloft. This is actually very common when people who have weight gain from SSRIs get off them; they can't lose at all. I honestly was at the end of my rope. I don't know which one works or what they do, but they helped and now Im losing weight consistently.
  • Rabicka
    Rabicka Posts: 2
    Options
    This is what I saw online about bee pollen pills, hope it helps

[10-24-2012] The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers not to purchase or use “Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen Capsules,” also referred to as “Zi Xiu Tang Beauty, Face & Figure Capsule,” a product promoted and sold for weight loss and body reshaping. This product is promoted on www.zixiutangsuccess.com, and possibly sold in some retail stores.

FDA laboratory analysis confirmed that “Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen Capsules” contains sibutramine. Sibutramine is a controlled substance that was removed from the market in October 2010 for safety reasons. The product poses a threat to consumers because sibutramine is known to substantially increase blood pressure and/or pulse rate in some patients and may present a significant risk for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmia, or stroke. This product may also interact, in life-threatening ways, with other medications a consumer may be taking.

Consumers should stop using this product immediately and throw it away. Consumers who have experienced any negative side effects should consult a health care professional as soon as possible.
    Health care professionals and patients are encouraged to report adverse events or side effects related to the use of these products to the FDA's MedWatch Safety Information and Adverse Event Reporting Program:
  • CharleneM723
    CharleneM723 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    You know what gives you energy? Food. You know what causes weight loss? Burning more than you eat. There is a funny episode of The Golden Girls where Blanche takes bee pollen in order to lose weight and land the younger man. Even in the late 80s, the health sarcasm surrounded this ridiculous "supplement".
  • cocoa3173
    Options
    what brand of pills are you using?
  • Koofers
    Koofers Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    xi zui tang probably contains zero bee pollen. The FDA put out a consumer alert about it this past October--here's what it says:

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is advising consumers not to purchase or use “Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen Capsules,” also referred to as “Zi Xiu Tang Beauty, Face & Figure Capsule,” a product promoted and sold for weight loss and body reshaping. This product is promoted on www.zixiutangsuccess.com, and possibly sold in some retail stores.

FDA laboratory analysis confirmed that “Zi Xiu Tang Bee Pollen Capsules” contains sibutramine. Sibutramine is a controlled substance that was removed from the market in October 2010 for safety reasons. The product poses a threat to consumers because sibutramine is known to substantially increase blood pressure and/or pulse rate in some patients and may present a significant risk for patients with a history of coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias, or stroke. This product may also interact, in life-threatening ways, with other medications a consumer may be taking.

Just to reitierate: there is no safe, magic pill for weight loss

I actually took bee pollen last summer to lose weight. I had a friend who lost a lot of weight on it after having a baby and I wanted to try it as well. The one I got was supposed to not have Sibutramine in it. I lost about 20 lbs. within a couple of months while taking it (and drinking lots of water) and my appetite diminished a LOT (I tend to over-eat big time). On days where I couldn't force myself to drink lots of water I did get headaches.

I eventually stopped taking it, but I can''t remember why. I think I started having some kind of odd thing going on with my body - I was on Warfarin at the time and dealing with recovering from a blood clot so everything was making me paranoid.

I eventually gained all the weight back, but I don't blame this on the fact that I used a supplement to try to lose weight, I blame it on my over-eating because I went back to my regular habits not too long after. Anywho, I've wised up and I wouldn't take a weight loss supplement ever again just because I'd rather do it the right way. It's healthier and supposedly more sustainable.. that's just my opinion.
  • Sach2210
    Options
    Hi I'm currently taking bee pollen tablets within the clean 9 diet. I feel fantastic. This is my second time on the clean9 diet and would highly recommend it. I started at 11 st 6 and am now at 9st 13lbs on day 6. If you would like any more information then feel free to ask me
    Good luck in your weight loss x
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm currently taking bee pollen tablets within the clean 9 diet. I feel fantastic. This is my second time on the clean9 diet and would highly recommend it. I started at 11 st 6 and am now at 9st 13lbs on day 6. If you would like any more information then feel free to ask me
    Good luck in your weight loss x
    I'd like some information. How does plant pollen (bees don't make pollen they collect it) make you lose weight?
    Also, when you ingest it, how does it get in your bloodstream? What are the biological mechanisms which make pollen do anything since you are inhaling it all day anyway?
  • Artionis
    Artionis Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Wait, wait, wait. I thought apple cider vinegar was the magic potion for losing weight. Now you tell me it's bee pollen. Next some crackpot will say that restricting calories but meeting all nutrient needs while exercising will result in losing weight. Oh wait, that's what I'm doing -- and it works! Flowers need the bee pollen more than we do.