what do you eat for breakfast?!

Options

Replies

• DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm buying into that whole "eat within an hour" myth. You can find research both ways. What if I had slept one more hour? My metabolism wouldn't be revved up then. Your metabolism starts humming when you start feeding it. I usually get up at 5:30 and eat at 7:30. If I wake UP hungry, I'll grab something small as soon as I get up, but typically I dont.

This morning, I happened to wake up hungry. So I had a boiled egg and some milk. At my normal breakfast time, I had a bagel thin with cream cheese, and 1/2 a banana.

I vary my breakfasts most of the time. My diary is public, feel free to look at it. Sometimes I have a smoothie, sometimes oatmeal, sometimes eggs, it just depends on my mood. But I always plan my meals the day before which contributes to my success tremendously.
  • DawnOf1969
    Options
    I wake up around 7 and have a cup of chamomile tea with lots of lemon (lemon is known to speed up your metabolism). This my stomach doesn't feel so "upset". Then about 30 minutes later I will have turkey or canadian bacon with a smoothie (2/3 C Blueberries, 1/3 cup cranberry juice, 1 C raw fresh spinach (yes! spinach), and 1/3 cup water...you can add whatever fruit you want). That will keep me full until almost lunch.
    Spinach in smoothies ROCKS!!
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I'm buying into that whole "eat within an hour" myth. You can find research both ways. What if I had slept one more hour? My metabolism wouldn't be revved up then. Your metabolism starts humming when you start feeding it. I usually get up at 5:30 and eat at 7:30. If I wake UP hungry, I'll grab something small as soon as I get up, but typically I dont.

This morning, I happened to wake up hungry. So I had a boiled egg and some milk. At my normal breakfast time, I had a bagel thin with cream cheese, and 1/2 a banana.

I vary my breakfasts most of the time. My diary is public, feel free to look at it. Sometimes I have a smoothie, sometimes oatmeal, sometimes eggs, it just depends on my mood. But I always plan my meals the day before which contributes to my success tremendously.

You acknowledge that there is research both ways, but choose to use the word "myth"?

I also plan my meals either the day before or once I get to work in the morning. I always find it funny when people say "I have trouble sticking to my numbers." If you have it planned out, all you have to do is follow the plan and it's impossible to go over. Of course, many of us don't know where we'll be throughout the day, but even when I'm not sure I'll still make a plan.
  • DawnOf1969
    Options

You acknowledge that there is research both ways, but choose to use the word "myth"?

I also plan my meals either the day before or once I get to work in the morning. I always find it funny when people say "I have trouble sticking to my numbers." If you have it planned out, all you have to do is follow the plan and it's impossible to go over. Of course, many of us don't know where we'll be throughout the day, but even when I'm not sure I'll still make a plan.
    I use the word "myth" because the research I subscribe to calls it a myth. I work in a medical school that trains doctors. I've participated in research studies on weight issues which includes blood draws and labs etc. To me, yes, it's a myth. But everyone is free to subscribe to whatever research they believe in.
  • DeBlue
    DeBlue Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't have as much variety as I should and do get hooked on same-things. The hard-fast rule is no processed foods like oatmeal in packets, no high glycemic foods such as sweet or processed flours. Corn flakes is a yummy favorite, but even though it looks like it is low cal, the trouble is the processed flour turns to simple sugar fast in the blood stream and this stuff ends up like eating white sugar for breakfast. And don't forget the crash that follows shortly after. Don't fall for these "low cal" options that are everywhere and can easily wreck your day.

My current favs:

:love: Peanut Butter/Banana Fold-overs :love:
    Use good 100% whole grain bread, spread thin layer of creamy reduced fat PB and microwave about 10 seconds. Add slices of banana, fold it over like when you were a kid, and enjoy. You get protein, whole grain, and potassium in a light breakfast that sticks with you. It is also light enough to power you through a workout without bogging you down.

:tongue: Yummy Oatmeal
    Use 1/2 cup 1 min or slow-cook oats, about a half cup water, 2 tb. raisins and/or chopped nuts, cinnamon or favorite spice, optional add half banana, cook for 2 min on high in microwave. Add about 4 oz of Dannon vanilla lite n fit yoghurt. Mix and enjoy a great stick-to-your-ribs start to your day. Fabulous for a frightfully cold winter day!
  • jkestens63
    jkestens63 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Having b-fast is SO important! But I agree it can be tough to eat in the morning. I have to keep it light too because I go to the gym every morning and can't work out on a full stomach. But its not good to work out on an empty stomach. So I alternate breakfasts:

cup of skim milk, a healthy cereal (love captain crunch but stay with cheerios, lol), and a boiled egg (protien is essential in the a.m. to help keep you full til snack time!)

next day:

cup of skim milk, instant oatmeal (the banna nut from Quaker Oats rocks!), and two turkey sausage patties

And I measure everything!!! so 3/4 cup of cereal is it, never eyeball it. same with the milk, I found a glass that is perfectly 8 oz.

I make sure I get my fruit in for snack!
  • kailibabe
    Options
    Well i recently read that greek yogurt is fantastic for you and it is actually filling! I get the kind where u can mix honey in with it (because eating it plain you can really taste the bitterness of it) and i also eat some fruit (banana, grapes etc.)
    I too dont like eating breakfast im not hungry that early in the morning and my stomach doesnt like it either, so this is just really quick and easy and gets u by for a couple of hours!! TRY IT
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    everyone has such good examples...i need to bump this so i can come back and try some of these!
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    1 whole egg, 1 egg white, 3 slices turkey bacon, 1 piece of whole wheat toast with strawberry jam.
  • CuteMommy88
    CuteMommy88 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Try some oatmeal!! with a cup of peppermint tea--doctor told me it really helps with nausea so i tried it while i was pregnant and it really did help!!
  • emmerrs
    emmerrs Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I usually have a toasted english muffin with PB and a serving of yogurt.
  • DHalaby73
    DHalaby73 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk Light Protein Shake...
  • Hourglass25
    Hourglass25 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Toasted bagel thin with a loughiing cow cheese wedge and tea. or coffe. 100 cal english muffin with sugar free jam, a bagel thin with egg whites and a slice of ham
  • krishnajon
    Options
    blueberry banana pinapple smoothie

Trader joes is where I get the ingredients
    1/2 cup frozen blueberries
    1/2 cup frozen pineapple
    1 frozen banana
    1 scoop of super green energy powder
    3-4 oz trop 50
    3-4 o almond milk 60 cal
    1 teaspoon vanilla

Blend and enjoy. Forgiving recipie expect for the blue berries. Without them, you can get some very unapealling colors
  • KM1984
    Options
    I usually eat cereals that are good for you like Cheerios and Special K. I especially love the Special K cereals because they have different varieties to choose from like one that has little bars of dark chocolate and there is one that has strawberries in it. Every once in a while I will eat a package of instant oatmeal usually the strawberries and cream with some type of fruit and yogurt.
  • KM1984
    Options
    Does it absolutely have to be within the first hour of waking up??
  • KM1984
    Options

What is the best way to plan your meals the day before if you usually don't know what you will feel like eating until you actually get hungry??
  • Connie_Pro
    Connie_Pro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I like whole grain toast with natural nut butter and a sliced banana as an open face sandwich.
    Do you take vitamins in the morning? that could be causing the nausea
  • msdarnit
    Options
    i'm exactly like you. when i first wake up, the thought of food makes me want to throw up. i don't know why. my mom is like that too. i'm not nervous or anxious. maybe it's a blood sugar thing? (though i have no known sugar issues). anyway, knowing that breakfast is so important i try to eat something. i can sometimes stomach an english muffin. you can make little pizzas out of them by putting just a tad of pizza sauce (can use spaghetti sauce) and some cheese and whatever else you want. i usually toast it first so it'll be kinda crispy bc i don't like soggy bread. then i add the sauce and cheese and microwave it. not sure of the calorie content as i haven't made that in awhile. just thought i'd post it as something different! good luck. i've been enjoying this thread. gonna try some of the ideas i've seen. it's hard for me because i don't like fruit. at all. but i got some good ideas!
  • emilygracee
    Options
    I love peaches and cream instant oatmeal from Quaker.
    One packet is 130 calories, and it will keep you full for a while. :)