C25K Starting Tomorrow (Dec- 27- 2010 Monday)

Options

Replies

• VWBuggin1963
    Options
    Congratulations to all who made first day.

Hurry ...... I did it. I overcame my fear, at least to say I gave it a try. I cant tell how happy I feel. Thank you guys for your support and participation.

Warm up - 5 min - 3.5mph
    60 sec jog - 4.5mph
    90sec walk - 3.5 mph
    Cool down - 5 min - 3.5mph

That is amazing. I don't think I can make 4.5 mph but I am going to try
  • melodymartinez
    Options
    I actually started this (this morning, before work) using my new running shoes from Santa. Last time I attempted it was a few months ago, in old shoes that were not meant for running. I injured my knee the third or fourth week and stopped. My knee STILL hurts rather bad at times :( but I'm going to push myself and try again :)
  • maeflower1234
    maeflower1234 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I did Week 1 day 1 tonight. I did better than I thought. I went 4.2 for jogging but may up that and 3.2 for walking. The front of my lower legs hurt though so any suggestions on good shoes? I just have basic tennis shoes.
  • Christi1143
    Options
    Started C25K tonight and I have to say I am a little nervous about doing this but excited to reach my goal of running a 5K. Glad its a gradual work up to running a 5K. Good luck to anyone else giving it a go!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    [I'm treadmilling this.. My neighborhood isn't safe, and it's just what works for me right now.]

First day: DONE. :happy: I sat around my apartment in my workout gear for an hour, but I'm glad I finally forced myself to hit the gym.

:heart: The C25K app that I downloaded for my iTouch is a GODSEND!! :heart:

Walking: 3.5
    Running: 6.0

I will up the running to 6.5 on Wednesday, since I tolerated it pretty darn well. Do you think it's a good idea to raise my walking pace also? Or keep it where it is in order to allow my body to recover and catch my breath in between the runs?

Great job, everyone! I'll be checking in on Wednesday!
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to let everyone know that if C25K can turn me into a runner it can turn anyone into a runner. I use to think that you should only run if being chased but I wanted to challenge myself. After completely the program I ran my first 5K in 37 minutes. Now I'm training for a 10K. Good luck to all of you!!
  • Dhathri
    Dhathri Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I actually started this (this morning, before work) using my new running shoes from Santa. Last time I attempted it was a few months ago, in old shoes that were not meant for running. I injured my knee the third or fourth week and stopped. My knee STILL hurts rather bad at times :( but I'm going to push myself and try again :)

Dont hurt yourself. Take one day at a time. Good Luck.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    I did Week 1 day 1 tonight. I did better than I thought. I went 4.2 for jogging but may up that and 3.2 for walking. The front of my lower legs hurt though so any suggestions on good shoes? I just have basic tennis shoes.

Thats a good start. Try to stretch before and after the run. Get a pair of good running shoes. Rest well in between jog/walk days. Hope your legs feel better.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    Congratulations to all who made first day.

Hurry ...... I did it. I overcame my fear, at least to say I gave it a try. I cant tell how happy I feel. Thank you guys for your support and participation.

Warm up - 5 min - 3.5mph
    60 sec jog - 4.5mph
    90sec walk - 3.5 mph
    Cool down - 5 min - 3.5mph

Well done, bring on Day 2 !!!! :o)
  • Dhathri
    Options
    I got tempted to do the C25K but resisted and instead walked for 30min.

Hope you are all having a nice rest day.
  • Aid_B
    Aid_B Posts: 427
    Options
    I got tempted to do the C25K but resisted and instead walked for 30min.

Hope you are all having a nice rest day.

Forgot to mention how addictive it can be, it's very important to take your rest days
  • VWBuggin1963
    Options
    Yesterday walked for 30 mins
    Day 2 completed today
    1.56 miles
    305 calories burned
  • tracybarnhill
    Options
    I attempted the C25K a couple months ago. When I began my first day, I started getting terrible pains in the front of my calves/shins about 1/4 of the way through the program. I stretched really well before starting, I was not going that fast (maybe the pace of a fast walk), and it felt like someone put their hand inside my shins and began ripping my muscles away.

I have tried to fight through the pain on several occasions and was told that the pain is from the calf muscles separating from the bone (or something about shin splints). I really, truly, sincerely want to get to the point where I can comfortably run a 5K, but my body just does not want anything to do with it.

Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated :)

Okay I know these all too well. The reason you are getting pain in the front of your shins is because you are developing Shins splints. You need to get you an insole that has some arch in them. Also you need to stretch your front shins by pointing your toes like a ballet dancer and rotate left and right. Most of shin splints are from no arch support in you shoes. Happy running!
  • Dhathri
    Options
    I am going to hit the gym in couple of hours.
  • ironsister
    ironsister Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I wished someone would have warned me how addictive running could be...I get really grouchy sometimes if i can't get out for my runs!
  • sunshine7966
    Options
    I started C25K today, and just stumbled onto this thread. I hope to be able to run a 5k with my husband at the end of this program. He has to run a few during the year with ROTC. Today went better than I expected and I can't wait to see how workout 2 and 3 go. I was so proud of myself after because I walked at 3.8mph and jogged at 6mph and I never thought I could do that! Good luck to the rest of ya'll starting this week!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    W 1 D 2

I started using a 2% incline on the treadmill in order to better mimic "real" running. I also bumped my run speed to 6.5 and left my walking pace at 3.5.

I think I need to make an appointment with my doctor, though. I think I may have exercise-induced asthma. Grr.. It's always something.

Good luck to everyone starting, and congrats to everyone who is still going! :)
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Welcome Sunshine7966

I was little low today. Snow was not helping much either. But I decided to hit the road. The roads were very slick. There was only two more people in the gym.

I successfully made Day 2. I am very happy that I made it.

Warm up - 5 min @3.5
    Jog - 5 Min @ 4.5mph
    Jog - 5 min @5mph
    Cool Down - 5 min @3.5
  • dinareed
    dinareed Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Yay! Completed Week 1, Day 2 yesterday and will complete the next workout tomorrow. I am not able to run yet (Boo!) but I am pushing it as much as I can.
  • Dhathri
    Options
    Yay! Completed Week 1, Day 2 yesterday and will complete the next workout tomorrow. I am not able to run yet (Boo!) but I am pushing it as much as I can.

Thats an accomplishment. Slow and study, wins the race :)