Adopt a Noob - Official MFP thread

Options

Replies

• BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    one quit pretty quickly.

the other is down 26lbs in the first 3 months and is enjoying the mental clarity that IIFYM brings her. she's done all the work... i just steered her away from the silly deprivation mindset so many dieters have and explained the simple math/science behind weight loss so that she is armed with the only information that matters. i'm proud of her. i think she'll reach her goals.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I still promote this thread to people who I think would be good noob candidates. I also have played 'matchmaker' once or twice...
  • heatherholmes25
    Options
    I NEED A MENTOR!!!!
    I am 27, will be 28 in june. I weigh 278.8 lbs, goal weight is 155. I am 5'2. Mother to 3 kids, ages 7, 4 and 8 weeks. I am in nursing school, will complete in august. Just starting today and needing friends to hold me accountable and keep me motivated. 
  • INSPRD2LOSE
    INSPRD2LOSE Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    This is fantastic - I wish I knew it existed when I first joined quite some time ago. I got disappointed, disengaged, and gave up on MFP (and myself). However, with that said, I've decided to poke around a bit more and - lo and behold - I've kicked myself in the *$$ and decided to dive in to the "community" here as an additional means of supporting my personal accountability. And heck, I think we can all say that building relationships - even in an online forum - enhances any experience. Anyway, I'm looking for a mentor. Someone who is real, no-nonsense, candid and who can relate to avoiding mirrors and cameras, then finally getting fed up enough to do something about it. And that person is me right now. I am confident that, given the right match, I can be a success story. I'm busy, dedicated, and am just starting to figure out that I should at least rank in top ten list of my priorities. I'm spunky, sarcastic, honest, and equal parts business and pleasure. So yeah...if you want to help me suck less at getting fit, I'd be ever so appreciative!:blushing:
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options

New members

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or do a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success. If you have questions, please PM me.

Keep in mind, that mentors are NOT obligated to accept new members if they do NOT feel it's a good fit... especially if you PM them with a creepy message or their plate is full.
    List has been updated. For those looking for a mentor, please look at the profiles and send some PM's

Those of you looking for mentors. You might want to note, that the mentors won't contact you. You have to go through the thread, and find the mentors that you think would be a match for you, and PM them.

If you haven't read enough of the thread to follow the rules, the mentors aren't likely to think that you're serious about this.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options

New members

Please review the short paragraphs of the members and feel free to PM them or do a friend request (you should include a little bit about yourself as many members won't accept blank friend request). Hopefully, you will utilize this as a mentoring tool to increase the chances of success. If you have questions, please PM me.

Keep in mind, that mentors are NOT obligated to accept new members if they do NOT feel it's a good fit... especially if you PM them with a creepy message or their plate is full.
    List has been updated. For those looking for a mentor, please look at the profiles and send some PM's

Those of you looking for mentors. You might want to note, that the mentors won't contact you. You have to go through the thread, and find the mentors that you think would be a match for you, and PM them.

If you haven't read enough of the thread to follow the rules, the mentors aren't likely to think that you're serious about this.

Thanks for posting this. I have been swamped at work.
  • mandamerlot
    mandamerlot Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I totally need a mentor :)

Adopt me, oh wise ones <3!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I totally need a mentor :)

Adopt me, oh wise ones <3!
    I'm certain that someone will! Did you follow the instructions two posts up?
  • ladykaisa
    ladykaisa Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I hope it's not too late to sign up....

Been an MFPer for a couple years now, and have lost/gained the same 20lbs. This is largely because of "falling off the wagon", though there are some metabolism things going on as well. Have been consistent since February and haven't lost any pounds, but am down 6 inches!
    I bring to the table a love of beer, wine, chocolate, steak and chicken, and a dislike of fish and whiskey. I'm a firm believer in "1200 calories is too low for 90% of the population", and dislike aggressive weight loss settings (TDEE -25% or Loss of 2lbs/wk) unless you have lots of weight to lose.
    Have played in TDEE, MFP Eating Back Exercise Calories, and have recovered from Eating Disorders (I know how hard it can it can be to "allow" yourself to eat 1200 calories, let alone a proper BMR).
    I currently am eating BMR plus 1/2 my exercise calories, running 3+ miles per day/6 days per week, and if I want wine I have it. I try to stay away from carbs/starch because of PCOS, and have done LCHF at the end of last year. I still aim for it, but I can't run on 20g net carbs/day. I weigh very infrequently, preferring to go on how my clothes are fitting and what my measurements are.
    I'm online daily, and answer messages promptly. If I don't know it, I have a whole whack of bookmarks that we can take a peek at.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I hope it's not too late to sign up....

Been an MFPer for a couple years now, and have lost/gained the same 20lbs. This is largely because of "falling off the wagon", though there are some metabolism things going on as well. Have been consistent since February and haven't lost any pounds, but am down 6 inches!
    I bring to the table a love of beer, wine, chocolate, steak and chicken, and a dislike of fish and whiskey. I'm a firm believer in "1200 calories is too low for 90% of the population", and dislike aggressive weight loss settings (TDEE -25% or Loss of 2lbs/wk) unless you have lots of weight to lose.
    Have played in TDEE, MFP Eating Back Exercise Calories, and have recovered from Eating Disorders (I know how hard it can it can be to "allow" yourself to eat 1200 calories, let alone a proper BMR).
    I currently am eating BMR plus 1/2 my exercise calories, running 3+ miles per day/6 days per week, and if I want wine I have it. I try to stay away from carbs/starch because of PCOS, and have done LCHF at the end of last year. I still aim for it, but I can't run on 20g net carbs/day. I weigh very infrequently, preferring to go on how my clothes are fitting and what my measurements are.
    I'm online daily, and answer messages promptly. If I don't know it, I have a whole whack of bookmarks that we can take a peek at.

Never too late. Added to the list.
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    i feel like i've learned alot throughout my development. I'd be happy to assist anyone that's dedicated, don't really have time for anyone that's not committed though
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,218 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So, I'm late to the ballgame, but I'd like to volunteer to help.

I've been on this site for a couple of years, but have been serious about fitness (or my version of it) for about a year. I'm getting ready to hit 315 days of straight logging... It's almost an obsession now. LOL! While I AM serious about being healthy, I'm not a 'clean eater'. I like chocolate and pizza and chips and... other processed foods too much to give them up. I can be fairly blunt when I think you're sabotaging yourself, but I try to be nice in my bluntness. I learned most of what I know about working out while I was in the military, but don't hold that against me! I recently re-discovered running as a favorite exercise. I love it, as long as no one is making me do it... :)
  • ajdii
    ajdii Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    OK I will say it out loud...I need help =/ I just can't do it on my own...I want to lose weight (not too much but from 7 to 10 kg) but most importantly I want to get toned and fit...I need help, someone to push me, to tell me what to do and to mentor me...please if anyone is willing to risk their time and to help me I would really appriciate it =) thank you in advance =)
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • Calamitycazza
    Calamitycazza Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Hi there :) I'd love to become a mentor and help, encourage and support others :)

All my life I've been on the heavy side, all most everyone I knew commented on my weight. I missed 6 months of school when i was 15 due to anxiety and depression disorder and I managed to balloon up to nearly 14 stone! Ever since then, I felt conscious of my body image and weight. I'd try lots of different diets but I could never stick to any and they only lasted a week or so. I got with my boyfriend when i was 16 and he always said he loved me however I look but if i decided to lose weight he would support me 100%. Unfortunately, when I was about 18, I developed an eating disorder and lost a stone and a half in 3 weeks, it all piled back on when I tried to eat normally again and after that, I was unable to eat any food without bursting into tears because it made me feel fat. Then last year, I decided I was going to do it properly, so I joined MFP and started in April, and 1 year down the line, I've lost 2 stone :) I've had my ups and downs as I still suffer with the disorder and I still feel fat when I eat, but I tell myself eating wont hurt me. I've had so much support from my boyfriend which helped me get here, so now, I want to help support those who are battling weight loss. During my time of dieting, I've researched a lot, I'm not saying I'm a professional, but I know my stuff about health and fitness due to this :) I look forward to giving 110% support and encouragement to those who need it :)
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I'd like to be a mentor. I've been on the site since 2009 and love every minute of it. Lots of great people out there and I love to help others. I'm a working wife and mom of a 14 year old and 7 (almost 8) year old. I work as a 911 dispatcher and training coordinator. I love to run, and have ran several races from 5k's to half marathons. PM if you are looking for a mentor.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    List has been updated.
  • wjcavalier09
    wjcavalier09 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Everyone please feel free to add me

I am new to the site, and on a long journey to lose weight. I need an active mentor that can help me with calorie counting, foods to eat to get to my goal. Basically anything to help!

I need the motivation to eat healthier.
  • Kevin_Rex
    Kevin_Rex Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea and thread!

For anyone who's interested:

I've been on MFP for over a year. Active on and off on the site logging-wise, but have maintained a workout routine (either intense or maintenance) throughout (minus moments of illness or, ahem, rare cases of utter laziness :)

I've lost 40 lbs using a variety of methods: general cardio training, intervals, weight training, hiking, walking, etc. I've recently rebooted myself (turning 40 had a lot to do with it) and am going all-in this time around... no going back!

I'd love to mentor a few folks if any are patient enough to deal with my quirky attempts at humor... if you're good with a flexible approach to fitness, health and weight loss then I'm your redhead. I'll be tough when needed, motivating always, and lighthearted and understanding when necessary. I'll walk (or run, or hike, or jog, or pop/lock, or roll step) this journey with you and give you a swift kick in the pressed ham if, and when, the recipe calls for it.

Currently I'm in the midst of weight training and shrinking some fat cells around the gut. Eating as clean as possible but nothing so strict that I can't have some food fun now and again... celery is great but come on, I have a crush on fast food hamburgers that won't die any time soon, so life's just going to have to deal with that.

I'm not an expert in super low-cal diets, extreme weight lifting, crazy endurance training or no-movement Chocodile diets.

It's not about short-term diets anyway... it's about slowly (or quickly, depending on your cocaine habit) building a life-long lifestyle that you can learn to love and adhere to - there will be no "OK, I've made it to xxx lbs, all done!"... Nope.

PM me if I sound like a mentor that fits your keyhole.

Cheers! :)
  • MaracuyaConAzucar
    Options
    Can someone adopt me? :P

I'm 5'5, 266 lbs.

I need to be 160 for the Air National Guard...

I need to get in shape...looking for someone who can motivate, even if it's through text or Kik or look at my diary and help me out in any way. I need help..

Thanks so much.