Dieting = Craving BAD foods

Options

Replies

• cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    EVERY TIME I tell myself, "You can't have that..." my body wants it all the much more.

I've found that that methodology, philosophy, whatever you want to call it simply DOES NOT WORK for me AT ALL.

Therefore, I simply find ways to work it in that aren't going to tank me for the day.

For example, I LOVE chili con queso. LOVE IT. Can't have it in the house. SO, I go to lunch at Don Pablo's, order the "kid sized queso" that's only a few ounces, count out my 8-12 tortilla chips, and enjoy it profusely. That way I have it, it's in a "controlled environment", and I get it "out of my system."

When I have a regular cheeseburger from McDonald's, I cut it in half, remove 1/2 the bun, and put all the meat/cheese on the remaining 1/2 bun - that way you have 1/2 a double cheeseburger, and have just saved yourself some carbs from the bun. You can do that with breakfast sandwiches too. OR take the bun off altogether! That way you can have a handful of fries for the carbs, and not feel as guilty about it!

Just like it's not healthy to completely eliminate all fats or all carbs or whatever, completely eliminating certain foods you love is like going through a grieving process almost. Why put yourself through all that? Find creative ways to get in foods you love. I remember coming back to the office with a piece of key lime pie. I told them it was for everybody to have a taste of - and everybody had a bite or two. That way you aren't depriving yourself.

You can lose weight this way - I have.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating the foods you love/crave/want, but just in smaller portion sizes? Most of the time this works for me. There are a couple of things that I avoid all together, but there aren't many.

What helped me when I first started eating in moderation was buying items in a single serve size, instead of buying in bulk and portioning myself. Example, I eat ice cream on a semi-regular basis, but I buy the single serving of my Haagen Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream instead of the pint because it controls the portion size for me.

Also, pre-logging my food for the day helped me figure out how I could fit in the foods I truly wanted, rather than only choosing "healthier" foods. The way I look at it, is that all foods are fine, as long as you pay attention to portion sizes. If I want ice cream, I'm going to budget those calories in my day somewhere! If I want pizza, and I know I'm going to want 3 slices, I make the choice to cut back my cals during other meals and/or snacks.

^^This.

I eat what I want in moderation, but sometimes that 300 calorie microscopic slice of pizza doesn't seem worth it TBH.

300 calories is like a third of a Newman's Own Margarhita Pizza.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Have you tried eating the foods you love/crave/want, but just in smaller portion sizes? Most of the time this works for me. There are a couple of things that I avoid all together, but there aren't many.

What helped me when I first started eating in moderation was buying items in a single serve size, instead of buying in bulk and portioning myself. Example, I eat ice cream on a semi-regular basis, but I buy the single serving of my Haagen Dazs chocolate peanut butter ice cream instead of the pint because it controls the portion size for me.

Also, pre-logging my food for the day helped me figure out how I could fit in the foods I truly wanted, rather than only choosing "healthier" foods. The way I look at it, is that all foods are fine, as long as you pay attention to portion sizes. If I want ice cream, I'm going to budget those calories in my day somewhere! If I want pizza, and I know I'm going to want 3 slices, I make the choice to cut back my cals during other meals and/or snacks.

^^This.

I eat what I want in moderation, but sometimes that 300 calorie microscopic slice of pizza doesn't seem worth it TBH.

I personally found just cutting down portion sizes didn't work, whilst I still craved certain foods, for me it took more will power to stop eating something when I didn't feel I had had enough than totally abstaining from something.

My solution, which worked for me was two fold. First I cut the junk food for 30 days until I had the cravings under control - I did this along side changing my diet from mainly protein and carbs to a low carb high fat diet (it really suppressed my appetite and got my cravings under control).

Second I then allowed myself to reintroduce the foods I liked and if I wanted to I could eat them.

The main thing that worked for me though was getting a better under standing of the junk food I was eating and the nutritional benefit / per calories it was costing.

So now if I want to have a pizza (meat feast of course) I will, but I do it with the knowledge of the calorie/nutrient cost compared to other food.

Hope you find what works for you.
  • tmpecus78
    tmpecus78 Posts: 1,206 Member
    Options
    So stop telling yourself you can't have something.
    Set reasonable goals.
    Stop labeling some food as "bad."
    Make small changes at a time.
    Do not expect everything to change overnight.
    Be patient.

this...anyone who looks at my diary who is "dieting" would be shocked and disgusted by what I eat I am sure.

My ticker proves you don't have to give up those things you love to lose weight.

I eat burgers, DQ, BK, KFC..and all the other initals you can come up with along with chocolate, FF etc.

I eat the food I want ensuring I hit my macros, stay in goal but don't feel deprived.

all of this X2
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else have the problem that when you are trying your best to eat healthier, make better choices, and move more that it's like your body/mind is fighting you?

I feel like I have NO control over what my body craves and wants. I get tired of telling myself that I can't have pizza, hamburgers, french fries, etc and I give in. My husband says it's because I don't have the willpower or the "want to", but I feel defeated EVERYTIME I make a lifestyle change and I don't stick with it.

I've tried the "food swaps" and while some of them are reasonable and delicious, most of them leave me wanting the real thing. Example: I made Spinach and Feta pizza on whole wheat crust instead of Three Meat pizza. While the taste was delicious, I still wanted meat.. and lots of it!

Then you probably needed the protein.

Two years ago, when I was 215 pounds and brought home a bunch of premium dark chocolate, my husband snarked about my "diet" chocolate and suggested that I eat nothing but watermelon.

I told him I needed to boost my potassium. And then I showed him what a balanced moderate diet and consistent exercise is all about.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Set reasonable goals.
    Be patient.

this...anyone who looks at my diary who is "dieting" would be shocked and disgusted by what I eat I am sure.

My ticker proves you don't have to give up those things you love to lose weight.

I eat burgers, DQ, BK, KFC..and all the other initals you can come up with along with chocolate, FF etc.

I eat the food I want ensuring I hit my macros, stay in goal but don't feel deprived.

Every time someone refers to me as a "healthy eater " because of how much weight I've lost, I laugh. I do think I'm a healthy eater, but my definition of healthy is much different than theirs. My idea of healthy eating means eating the foods I like, paying attention to my macros, and meeting my body's nutritional needs. They think it means eating nothing but salad all day.

OP, eat what you like. Just make it fit into your day. If you're going for long term success, you have to moderate your eating habits so that you can stick with them forever. For me, that definitely includes pizza and beer and all that other good stuff. You may find as you go long that some lower calorie substitutions are just fine - for instance, I pretty much always order thin crust pizza, and I like it just as much, if not more. For other foods, only the real thing will do. There's nothing wrong with eating these high-calorie foods in moderation if you fit it into your day.. It may even help you stay on track.

My diary is open if you want to have a look. :smile:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    1) The human body really, really doesn't like being in a calorie deficit. Really. This makes sense when you realize that the human body literally consumes itself to make up for the missing calories. It responds by making you crave high-calorie foods; particularly those rich in carbs and fats.

2) The human mind really, really doesn't like being told no. If you try to tell yourself that something is totally off-limits, the psyche responds by saying "gimme and gimme now."

There is a proper response to this, and it is two fold.

Part 1: You need discipline and willpower to overcome the body's cravings. As long as you are in a calorie deficit they will never be 100% met, and you have to exercise control over that. Period.

Part 2: Don't treat any food as actually off-limits. Focus on your calorie and nutrient goals. Meet those, and occasionally indulge in the foods you love like pizza and burgers. There will always be more food the next day or the next week. Have the pizza tomorrow night and the burger on Saturday. Or whatever. Plan these things ahead so you can look forward to them. This allows you to exercise control in the short term.
  • amandaygriffin
    amandaygriffin Posts: 15 Member
    Options

I will caution, however, that there is a big difference between a CRAVING and a WANT. If you are craving things every day or even weekly, those are WANTS and your husband might be on to something (although a little rude!). If you are craving something every few weeks and its all you can think about - go eat a little and close that out. Just make sure that you deny yourself a little before you decide it is a craving. Just because your pass a five guys on the way home and you are ready for dinner and you suddenly "crave" a hamburger is not a craving - that is "I'm hungry and I see a five guys and they sell hamburgers that I like".

You brought something very important to my attention. I call them cravings because when I WANT them, I feel like my mind/body/soul is telling me that I NEED it to satisfy my hunger.

I think my husband means well, but yes he is rude about it and the fact that he needs to lose weight, but doesn't want to makes me a little upset because I think we could BOTH benefit from having a supportive partner to help with weight loss and making better decisions as well as exercising together! He just has NO desire to eat healthier or exercise. He sure can tell me what I'm doing wrong though!
  • amandaygriffin
    Options

Every time someone refers to me as a "healthy eater " because of how much weight I've lost, I laugh. I do think I'm a healthy eater, but my definition of healthy is much different than theirs. My idea of healthy eating means eating the foods I like, paying attention to my macros, and meeting my body's nutritional needs. They think it means eating nothing but salad all day.

OP, eat what you like. Just make it fit into your day. If you're going for long term success, you have to moderate your eating habits so that you can stick with them forever. For me, that definitely includes pizza and beer and all that other good stuff. You may find as you go long that some lower calorie substitutions are just fine - for instance, I pretty much always order thin crust pizza, and I like it just as much, if not more. For other foods, only the real thing will do. There's nothing wrong with eating these high-calorie foods in moderation if you fit it into your day.. It may even help you stay on track.

My diary is open if you want to have a look. :smile:
    I appreciate that! I also prefer to eat thin crust pizza because I like it better than the greasy bready pizza, but with 2 kids and a husband that prefer cheese stuffed crust or pan crust.. I kinda have to go with majority. :( Maybe I will stock up on the thin crust pizzas and have them on hand for when other pizzas are being ordered!

Thanks to everyone for the advice! It helps so much to have people to get feedback from!
  • openskybeach
    openskybeach Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, but trying to do what a lot of these guys have said. Bump...to read more later. :D Add me for support!
  • Linda_May1960
    Options
    First things first - your husband needs to butt out about willpower. He's not helping.

Second - If you want a burger, have a burger. If you're an omnivore, red meat isn't off limits. If you want fries, go to McD's and get a small size. If you want three meat pizza,have a slice. Just plan the rest of your day around those foods.

Don't deny yourself the simple pleasures in life (within reason). Eventually, you might find yourself eating an entire pizza because you can't stop thinking about it..
  • amandaygriffin
    Options
    Just want to echo what everyone else is saying about having what you want, but in moderation. I know its not always that easy to just "eat in moderation" and how slippery of a slope it can be so here's some examples:

If I have chocolate or some other dessert in the house that I am really craving I will force myself to eat a healthy meal, or load up on veggies first and if I still want it, I have it. But they key is to never eat the craving food on an empty stomach because then you will overeat on it.

Like, the pizza... it can be bought by the slice at your average pizzeria. Have a huge salad when you go to the pizzeria (or load up on veggies,etc at home first) Eat that dang salad...then allow yourself the slice of pizza. Again .. don't go for the pizza on an empty stomach at meal time, because I know all too well how one slice can turn into 6 real quick.

For me, my big craving is sweets of any kind. I've found some solutions where I can "fake it".. I buy simply lite chocolate that more or less warns you not to over-consume or it will have a laxative effect (LMAO) so thats enough to keep me from binging. And I also really like various protein bars. It's not a real chocolate dessert, but its close enough for me. Maybe you too can find your fakey food. I think lean cuisine and similar try to do stuff like pizza. Give it a shot, ya never know. It might be good to have around to just satisfy that craving without destroying your calories for the day.

That's my advice. Good luck!

This hits home! If I eat when I feel like I'm starving, I do tend to overeat and realize after the fact that I'm OVERFULL. Thanks for the advice! :D
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I agree with what everyone has said, but wanted to add one thing. Sometimes the scaled down version is just not what you want. For example I had a craving for a pancake breakfast topped with fruit and whipped cream. I really wanted it. I didn't want just one pancake and to save the rest for later. It's never that soft deliciousness later. So I gave myself a date. I would have the pancake breakfast on Sunday morning what I was going out to eat with friends. All week whenever I thought of pancakes, I'd tell myself, "Sunday" and I save a little calories for it all week. Not a huge amount any day, but some each day. I woke up Sunday morning and went for a run. Then met with my friends and really enjoyed my breakfast. My craving was satisfied. I was well within my calories for the week and there was no guilt.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods. Get rid of that mindset and you will be fine.
  • bethlaf
    bethlaf Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Set reasonable goals.
    Be patient.

QFT!!
    Stop it, its quantity of what you consume that causes the issue , not the food itself, "i cant eat this" makes you only want it more, the power of the forbidden fruit and all that jazz...
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    There are no BAD foods, only BAD portion sizes. Moderation is key.

I really like this quote. Really really.
  • linka411
    linka411 Posts: 101 Member
    Options

^ this. I can have moments of weakness too, but if you plan for it you can get out of it ok. For me, I still love eating out, but I just choose to do it on the weekends and try to walk more or eat a little less prior to my large dinner beforehand to make room for the caloric intake. I'm also an advocate for prelogging or at least having the menu/list of items in your head that you know you're going to eat-that way you'll know how much wiggle room you have for treats-for me I almost always have a 100 calorie pack of oreos or some peanut butter-that's my treat during the weekdays :D so I try to make sure I have enough calories for that, or if not I'll take a few walks around the block to bump my calories up to have them :).

You can still certainly have what you want, but as people mentioned it's all about moderation. I LOVE pasta, and I'm bringing it back into my diet-but I shoot to have the appropriate serving amount now (which isn't a whole lot) alongside something else yummy and nutritious.

Also, stuff happens and you give in to what you want or you relax because you're celebrating something, which is totally ok- happened to me last weekend. I went out to eat twice in a row! Boy I was full afterwards and the scale looked like I had gained like 3lbs out of nowhere! Guess what-after two days of going back to my regular routine, my body reset itself to the weight I had before my restaurant meals. I guess what I'm trying to say here is even if you have a few days where you go over, it's not the end of the world-just go back to your routine, drink lots of water and time will fix things.

Finally, It might sound crazy, but after some time of eating better/in moderation your cravings will go down-at least it did for me. Best of luck, hope this helps!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    If there's something you want, whether it's pizza, burgers, fries, cake, just work it into your day. It helps to pre-log your day so you can wiggle things around. But don't cut things out. You'll end up feeling deprived and miserable, and guess what.. .you'll go right back to the bad habits that got you here in the first place.

Moderation. It's all about moderating your portions, while eating the foods you love. There's no reason you can't eat the foods you love.
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Sorry if I end up repeating what someone else said.

Yes, work it into your regular food budget. When I think substitutions, I don't think "wheat crust for regular". If I'm craving a big thick rare burger a turkey burger isn't going to cut it!

Have the craved for food at lunch, not at the end of the day when you are tired. Go to a nice place to eat, make it a production not a "I can't take it any more" drive thru run. Get the thick yummy hamburger, but have a side salad with a light dressing or an order of veggies instead of fries. Drink water instead of soda or beer. Either have a light breakfast or cut the sandwich in half and let the second half be part of your dinner that night. Make it a deserved treat with good company. Then if you need to burn some extra calories because you went a little overboard, you have all afternoon and evening to get in some extra workout time.

Same thing for the pizza. Go to the place that makes the BEST pizza. Order a small and split it with a few friends and have a salad to round out the meal.

Doing that once a week will not throw you off your stride. In fact it might make it easier for you to stay on track because you can say to yourself "I am NOT caving and having ice-cream tonight, I don't want to cancel my Saturday lunch plans."

I have a free cupcake sitting on my MyPanera card. I'm fully intending on using it, not flipping out over the calories. The day of my next hair appointment "mommy" is going to have a cappuccino and a cupcake and read her book by the fire and get some alone time. I may end up taking the dog for an extra long walk that night, but I'm having the cupcake!
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    There are no bad foods. You can still enjoy the things you mentioned, just fit them into your daily allowance.