** Breaking News** Do you believe in MIRACLES?

Options

Replies

• BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    I am glad you got your keys back :)

I am also glad MFP discourages/prohibits talk of religion on the forums... as this is going to end up a total clusterf*ck in 3...2...1...

giphy.gif

If I wanted it to be about religion I would've posted it with a picture of the cross on my back (it's a tattoo).

You specifically talked about god and jesus. That makes it about religion. You wanted it to be about religion, not about how someone went out of their way to return your keys and you got a great calorie burn.

I can talk about God or Jesus without it becoming a spectacle!

I am not bad-mouthing any non-believers. See it's not necessary to prove that God exists in my life. For those who don't believe that's their problem!
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    You had some good luck there. But I prefer to believe that God has bigger fish to fry than helping you find your lost keys. :flowerforyou:

No he doesn't, Lent is over!

:laugh: Touché.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Harrisonsauntie2005 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Why do these always turn into this kind of crap? Why is it necessary to tell the OP what your persoal beliefs are? What is so dificult in just saying, "good for you!" and moving on?

He believes God was involved. So what? Does it threaten anyone's atheism to read those words?

Honestly, probably because this stripped the agency of the young woman who did a good deed. How could it possibly threaten someone's atheism? People probably pointed it out (as seen in this thread, with both Christians and Atheists) that it was clearly the young woman who helped because it seemed strange to attribute the good deed to someone else, be it the Christian God, Zeus or Vishnu. Sure, the OP gave her $20 and said thank you, but she seems to be the afterthought in this story in favor of something else.

Brb, going back to .gifs.

Not only is she not an afterthought, but she has reached out to me several times since yesterday in regards to furthering her career. She is in IT and I am helping her look for a position that will advance her career.

I don't believe in coincidences. There is a reason my God, who is 1 of a 1,000 I guess, answered my prayers. See even finding keys as small as it seems is a blessing to me.

I am not sure why it's important to question my faith. The woman who found the keys MAY be an atheist but WHAT does that have to do with me praying and being blessed by her actions?

This reminds me of this:

An elderly lady was well-known for her faith and for her boldness in talking about it. She would stand on her front porch and shout “PRAISE THE LORD!”

Next door to her lived an atheist who would get so angry at her proclamations he would shout, “There ain’t no Lord!!”

Hard times set in on the elderly lady, and she prayed for GOD to send her some assistance. She stood on her porch and shouted “PRAISE THE LORD. GOD I NEED FOOD!! I AM HAVING A HARD TIME. PLEASE LORD, SEND ME SOME GROCERIES!!”

The next morning the lady went out on her porch and noted a large bag of groceries and shouted, “PRAISE THE LORD.”

The neighbor jumped from behind a bush and said, “Aha! I told you there was no Lord. I bought those groceries, God didn’t.”

The lady started jumping up and down and clapping her hands and said, “PRAISE THE LORD. He not only sent me groceries, but He got an Atheist to pay for them. Praise the Lord!”

God works through EVERYONE!

No..
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You had some good luck there. But I prefer to believe that God has bigger fish to fry than helping you find your lost keys. :flowerforyou:

No he doesn't, Lent is over!

LOL Ok, that was good :)

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

Why do these always turn into this kind of crap? Why is it necessary to tell the OP what your persoal beliefs are? What is so dificult in just saying, "good for you!" and moving on?

He believes God was involved. So what? Does it threaten anyone's atheism to read those words?

Honestly, probably because this stripped the agency of the young woman who did a good deed. How could it possibly threaten someone's atheism? People probably pointed it out (as seen in this thread, with both Christians and Atheists) that it was clearly the young woman who helped because it seemed strange to attribute the good deed to someone else, be it the Christian God, Zeus or Vishnu. Sure, the OP gave her $20 and said thank you, but she seems to be the afterthought in this story in favor of something else.

Not only is she not an afterthought, but she has reached out to me several times since yesterday in regards to furthering her career. She is in IT and I am helping her look for a position that will advance her career.

I don't believe in coincidences. There is a reason my God, who is 1 of a 1,000 I guess, answered my prayers. See even finding keys as small as it seems is a blessing to me.

I am not sure why it's important to question my faith. The woman who found the keys MAY be an atheist but WHAT does that have to do with me praying and being blessed by her actions?

Er, I don't think anyone questioned your faith. I think it's apparent you have it. Nor does her being an atheist or not have anything to do with... er, anything mentioned in this thread?

People questioned the authenticity of something that is impossible to prove. That can only lead to a never-ending dicussion that'll descend into a flame-war. Hence why religious posts are considered "divisive" and get locked, except for Wednesdays, when mods go on a Hump-Day Vacation.

She seems like an afterthought in that you have followed up your OP stating God was ultimately responsible for your keys getting back to you, instead of this woman. That's great that you're still in touch with her and are helping her out, but the way you worded your OP and follow-ups seemed much more of a "Look at ME. Look at how God helped ME"
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to thank the young lady who found your keys.

I thanked her and gave her $20. She didn't want to accept it but I told her it was worth it.

Good move to reward a Samaritan.
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

This +1

And OP, God is Good!! Always looking out for us!

wish he would fix my toilet :grumble:

everyone knows that in order for that to work, you have to believe. Duh.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Well, beyond the fact that your attribution of the "miracle" to god takes responsibility away from the actual human being who did something awesome, how did CVS know your email address from just your key ring??
  • BigCed77024
    BigCed77024 Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

This reminds me of this:

An elderly lady was well-known for her faith and for her boldness in talking about it. She would stand on her front porch and shout “PRAISE THE LORD!”

Next door to her lived an atheist who would get so angry at her proclamations he would shout, “There ain’t no Lord!!”

Hard times set in on the elderly lady, and she prayed for GOD to send her some assistance. She stood on her porch and shouted “PRAISE THE LORD. GOD I NEED FOOD!! I AM HAVING A HARD TIME. PLEASE LORD, SEND ME SOME GROCERIES!!”

The next morning the lady went out on her porch and noted a large bag of groceries and shouted, “PRAISE THE LORD.”

The neighbor jumped from behind a bush and said, “Aha! I told you there was no Lord. I bought those groceries, God didn’t.”

The lady started jumping up and down and clapping her hands and said, “PRAISE THE LORD. He not only sent me groceries, but He got an Atheist to pay for them. Praise the Lord!”

That is funny. I think it's simple. God gives us free will. Some believe and some don't.

I am STILL thankful to have my keys!

Maybe I should thank OBAMA and see how this turns out! Lol
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    Believing in G-d is a choice for anyone who has not witnessed near-death experiences. Those of us who've faced death, know there is a Higher Power, for a fact.

That said, for those to whom it is a choice, the way I'd look at it is like this, if you believe and you're wrong, you don't lose out on anything. But if you don't believe and you're wrong, sems to me you're losing out on the opportunity to connect with G-d, to feel supported and loved by Him, which is losing out on a lot, if you ask me. You have to decide that, though.
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    *sigh*

This +1

Oh silly me... I just can't believe in magic... thank you jesus LOL
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    For those who don't believe that's their problem!

I don't see it as a problem.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Every day :flowerforyou:
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    :drinker:
    For those who don't believe that's their problem!

I don't see it as a problem.

“Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.” ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym Posts: 5,573 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

This +1

or, you could hire Jesus, the plumber.....
  • Pcmom72
    Pcmom72 Posts: 3
    Options
    AMEN!!! We serve an awesome God! He truly cares about the little things that we care about :)
  • MBrothers22
    MBrothers22 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

This reminds me of this:

If only this could happen for all those starving kids in Africa :\

Do you believe everything you read on the Internet?
  • Harrisonsauntie2005
    Options
    *sigh*

This +1

or, you could hire Jesus, the plumber.....

I think that would be my best option. Or go outside
  • PaulVLJ
    PaulVLJ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Wish they had a like button. That was great!
  • djprice_69
    djprice_69 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Amen brother! Nothing like a quick & perfect answer to prayers. I'm so happy this turned out so well for you!
This discussion has been closed.