Dieting = Craving BAD foods

Options

Replies

• fedup30
    fedup30 Posts: 141 Member
    Options

Every time someone refers to me as a "healthy eater " because of how much weight I've lost, I laugh. I do think I'm a healthy eater, but my definition of healthy is much different than theirs. My idea of healthy eating means eating the foods I like, paying attention to my macros, and meeting my body's nutritional needs. They think it means eating nothing but salad all day.

OP, eat what you like. Just make it fit into your day. If you're going for long term success, you have to moderate your eating habits so that you can stick with them forever. For me, that definitely includes pizza and beer and all that other good stuff. You may find as you go long that some lower calorie substitutions are just fine - for instance, I pretty much always order thin crust pizza, and I like it just as much, if not more. For other foods, only the real thing will do. There's nothing wrong with eating these high-calorie foods in moderation if you fit it into your day.. It may even help you stay on track.

My diary is open if you want to have a look. :smile:
    I appreciate that! I also prefer to eat thin crust pizza because I like it better than the greasy bready pizza, but with 2 kids and a husband that prefer cheese stuffed crust or pan crust.. I kinda have to go with majority. :( Maybe I will stock up on the thin crust pizzas and have them on hand for when other pizzas are being ordered!

Thanks to everyone for the advice! It helps so much to have people to get feedback from!

The great thing about frozen pizzas....you can cut them up while still frozen, and only make once serving! It works for me! If i don't have the whole thing cooked and ready to eat, I can't eat more than I should!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Every time someone refers to me as a "healthy eater " because of how much weight I've lost, I laugh. I do think I'm a healthy eater, but my definition of healthy is much different than theirs. My idea of healthy eating means eating the foods I like, paying attention to my macros, and meeting my body's nutritional needs. They think it means eating nothing but salad all day.

OP, eat what you like. Just make it fit into your day. If you're going for long term success, you have to moderate your eating habits so that you can stick with them forever. For me, that definitely includes pizza and beer and all that other good stuff. You may find as you go long that some lower calorie substitutions are just fine - for instance, I pretty much always order thin crust pizza, and I like it just as much, if not more. For other foods, only the real thing will do. There's nothing wrong with eating these high-calorie foods in moderation if you fit it into your day.. It may even help you stay on track.

My diary is open if you want to have a look. :smile:
    I appreciate that! I also prefer to eat thin crust pizza because I like it better than the greasy bready pizza, but with 2 kids and a husband that prefer cheese stuffed crust or pan crust.. I kinda have to go with majority. :( Maybe I will stock up on the thin crust pizzas and have them on hand for when other pizzas are being ordered!

Thanks to everyone for the advice! It helps so much to have people to get feedback from!

The great thing about frozen pizzas....you can cut them up while still frozen, and only make once serving! It works for me! If i don't have the whole thing cooked and ready to eat, I can't eat more than I should!

Frozen pizza is one serving per box.

IMO, anyway.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."

To the OP and anyone else reading along.....

If anyone ever tells you to cut out fruits and/or vegetables, tell them to go jump in a lake, and ignore anything they ever say about anything ever.

I did not say to remove fruits or vegetables, I said to cut out fruit for a while to reduce the fructose in your diet. After the detox you would add it back in. Learn to read, please.

You didn't say remove fruits, you said to cut them out for a while.

What's the difference?

Sorry, your advice is awful, ridiculous, and is borne from a gross misunderstanding of biology and nutrition.

My advice stands: anyone who tells you to cut out fruit, for any length of time, should be completely ignored about everything forever.

I'm not suggesting cutting out fruit, but what's the big deal if the OP did. It's not essential food?

I rarely eat fruit. I don't really like it. There's nothing wrong with not eating fruit.

What's wrong is telling someone not to eat fruit because it contains sugar. The advice is bad. The reasoning behind the advice is worse: that one should "detox" from sugar.

The reasoning is faulty and the conclusion is ridiculous. The advice fails to pass the reality check. Anyone concluding "well people should cut out fruit" and then dispensing that advice is demonstrating a lack of some critical process in the rational train.

Therefore, my advice is to ignore any advice such a person gives, in its entirety, because through this one egregious error in judgment all further advice is automatically suspect.

Yes but the advice is not aimed at you it's aimed at the OP.

The OP Is already having trouble with restriction and this advice is to restrict further? That is nonsensical.

It all depends on the strategy and timescale of the restriction.

There is no hard and fast rule for getting to a state of moderation, or successful weight loss (apart from however you a mange it eat in a deficit).
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Cut out the sugar, I mean ALL fructose (HFCS, table sugar, fruit juice, anything with fructose) and even all fruit for a while. You will have to read labels like a hawk to make sure they do not have any added sugar. No processed foods. If you do this your body will detox from the sugar and return to your natural hunger signals. The cravings will get much better. After 8 weeks you can add back in some fruit but only eat fructose in the whole fruit so it is tempered by the fiber. Check out the book "Fat Chance" by Dr. Robert Lustig and a webite called "I Quit Sugar."

OP:
    Disregard this nonsense.

I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, but I would certainly question if it is wise to do this or long term sustainable. Our body needs glucose (if it didn't then we wouldn't have a pancreas!)

I certainly would question Lustig's research as there's quite a few inaccuracies and ommisions in his work (his description of the Maillard browning process for example as being the reason that a banana browns) and his conclusions are disputed by a number of his peers.

The problem is that it is human nature to hope for a panacea. There really isn't one, the issue for most of us is our relationship with food. I got the size I am by eating for comfort or boredom, for most of us, the desire to overeat is usually related to emotion. (Obviously not for everyone, but it sounds like in your case OP, you have a similar situation to me that sometimes it's not really about being hungry, but about 'wanting' food)

One final clarification...I am not saying to cut out glucose at all, and not suggesting you even totally cut out fructose long term. I am saying to reduce the consumption of fructose and try to limit it to whole food sources like whole fruit. I don't think you need to be really concerned with fruit I was just suggesting removing it temporarily along with added sugars. The added sugars are the larger concern for sure.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

If anyone ever tells you to cut out fruits and/or vegetables, tell them to go jump in a lake, and ignore anything they ever say about anything ever.

I did not say to remove fruits or vegetables, I said to cut out fruit for a while to reduce the fructose in your diet. After the detox you would add it back in. Learn to read, please.

What's the difference?

Sorry, your advice is awful, ridiculous, and is borne from a gross misunderstanding of biology and nutrition.

My advice stands: anyone who tells you to cut out fruit, for any length of time, should be completely ignored about everything forever.

To the OP, take it or leave it, this has worked for me. As you can see people get really angry when you tell them to stop eating sugar, though, so beware.

Oh yes, mercy me. I turn into the Incredible Hulk when people say they stop eating sugar! :angry: :explode: :laugh:

Seriously though, if you are eating fruits and veggies, rice, oats, wheat, on and on, you are still eating sugar. It's just biology.
  • jonnythan
    Options

OP:
    Disregard this nonsense.

I wouldn't put it quite so bluntly, but I would certainly question if it is wise to do this or long term sustainable. Our body needs glucose (if it didn't then we wouldn't have a pancreas!)

I certainly would question Lustig's research as there's quite a few inaccuracies and ommisions in his work (his description of the Maillard browning process for example as being the reason that a banana browns) and his conclusions are disputed by a number of his peers.

The problem is that it is human nature to hope for a panacea. There really isn't one, the issue for most of us is our relationship with food. I got the size I am by eating for comfort or boredom, for most of us, the desire to overeat is usually related to emotion. (Obviously not for everyone, but it sounds like in your case OP, you have a similar situation to me that sometimes it's not really about being hungry, but about 'wanting' food)

One final clarification...I am not saying to cut out glucose at all, and not suggesting you even totally cut out fructose long term. I am saying to reduce the consumption of fructose and try to limit it to whole food sources like whole fruit. I don't think you need to be really concerned with fruit I was just suggesting removing it temporarily along with added sugars. The added sugars are the larger concern for sure.

You flat out said to cut out fruit for a while.

Look, fruit is healthy. Fruit is great. Fruit is good for you. Any diet plan or nutritional theory that leads one to the conclusion that cutting out fruit "for a while" is beneficial, let alone necessary, is a bad one.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the difference?

To the OP, take it or leave it, this has worked for me. As you can see people get really angry when you tell them to stop eating sugar, though, so beware.

Oh yes, mercy me. I turn into the Incredible Hulk when people say they stop eating sugar! :angry: :explode: :laugh:

Seriously though, if you are eating fruits and veggies, rice, oats, wheat, on and on, you are still eating sugar. It's just biology.

lol - it does do something to you guys - it's like a hanger.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

What's the difference?

I'm not suggesting cutting out fruit, but what's the big deal if the OP did. It's not essential food?

I rarely eat fruit. I don't really like it. There's nothing wrong with not eating fruit.

What's wrong is telling someone not to eat fruit because it contains sugar. The advice is bad. The reasoning behind the advice is worse: that one should "detox" from sugar.

The reasoning is faulty and the conclusion is ridiculous. The advice fails to pass the reality check. Anyone concluding "well people should cut out fruit" and then dispensing that advice is demonstrating a lack of some critical process in the rational train.

Therefore, my advice is to ignore any advice such a person gives, in its entirety, because through this one egregious error in judgment all further advice is automatically suspect.

Doesn't matter who the advice is aimed at. It's terrible advice.

Plus, this is a public forum, where any registered users are free to reply with their opinions.
  • KaylaBushman
    Options
    OP I'm in the moderation club, I abide by this rule.

Step one Calories in verses calories out
    Step two is Macros
    Step three is Micros

Step one is all about learning to balance calories, eat what ever you want but at a deficit. Don't worry about what the food is made of or how healthy it is or how many vitamins are in it. Simply look only at calories.

Step two comes when you are a master of eating in your calorie range and desire a specific way of eating for your goals. Weight lifters need more protein, Long distance runners need more carbs etc.

Step three happens when you have found a suitable ration of your protein fat and carbs. Then work on getting in nutrient dense foods that are high in your vitamins.

People who jump all the way to step three usually fail. Work your way there. Take your time.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

What's the difference?

Doesn't matter who the advice is aimed at. It's terrible advice.

Plus, this is a public forum, where any registered users are free to reply with their opinions.

I know that's what so great about them - how boring would it be if everyone agreed!:smile:
  • jonnythan
    Options
    OP I'm in the moderation club, I abide by this rule.

Step one Calories in verses calories out
    Step two is Macros
    Step three is Micros

Step one is all about learning to balance calories, eat what ever you want but at a deficit. Don't worry about what the food is made of or how healthy it is or how many vitamins are in it. Simply look only at calories.

Step two comes when you are a master of eating in your calorie range and desire a specific way of eating for your goals. Weight lifters need more protein, Long distance runners need more carbs etc.

Step three happens when you have found a suitable ration of your protein fat and carbs. Then work on getting in nutrient dense foods that are high in your vitamins.

People who jump all the way to step three usually fail. Work your way there. Take your time.

This is a good post. I'll add that people often jump to Step Three, ignoring Step One and Step Two.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    It certainly is possible to get the nutrients from elsewhere and in regards to is it preferable - that's subjective.

Agreed cutting fruit is probably unnecessary, but it is something that has worked for the poster above and she is sharing her experience.

I'm not sure it has worked for her. She's been here 4 years, has only made it halfway to her goal, and her vata dosha is still extremely out of balance. And she consumes honey daily, which is pretty much pure processed sugar and contains large amounts of fructose.

Think about that for a minute. She considers honey, which has a ton of fructose, medicinal and consumes it daily. However, she is telling other people to cut out fruit for a while because it has fructose.

Clearly whatever she's doing hasn't been all that effective.

Pretty much exactly how I was going to reply.

I'll add, just because something has worked for someone (though this hasn't worked for said poster) doesn't mean it makes good advice. VLCD have worked for some people. That doesn't make it a good advice. Bulimia has worked for some people to lose weight. That does not make it good advice. <insert unhealthy method here> has worked for some people. That does not make it good advice. In fact, sharing 'success' stories derived from poor methods can actually cause more harm than good, ie eating disorders, malnutrition and even death.

So yes, it's subjective and in that subjectivity, you have to exercise rational thought.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I totally disagree that there are no bad foods. Different foods effect you mentally and physically in different ways. When everyone decided that fat was bad they removed that from food and replaced it with sugar...and that's when everybody ballooned.
    Whole food is good, processed food is bad.
    Did you really just recommend a Lustig book? Really? Wow, I don't even know where to begin.

any sentence that starts with "cut out all sugar..." goes to ignore mode...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    It certainly is possible to get the nutrients from elsewhere and in regards to is it preferable - that's subjective.

Agreed cutting fruit is probably unnecessary, but it is something that has worked for the poster above and she is sharing her experience.

I'm not sure it has worked for her. She's been here 4 years, has only made it halfway to her goal, and her vata dosha is still extremely out of balance. And she consumes honey daily, which is pretty much pure processed sugar and contains large amounts of fructose.

Think about that for a minute. She considers honey, which has a ton of fructose, medicinal and consumes it daily. However, she is telling other people to cut out fruit for a while because it has fructose.

I'll add, just because something has worked for someone (though this hasn't worked for said poster) doesn't mean it makes good advice. VLCD have worked for some people. That doesn't make it a good advice. Bulimia has worked for some people to lose weight. That does not make it good advice. <insert unhealthy method here> has worked for some people. That does not make it good advice. In fact, sharing 'success' stories derived from poor methods can actually cause more harm than good, ie eating disorders, malnutrition and even death.

So yes, it's subjective and in that subjectivity, you have to exercise rational thought.

Agreed, but the poster wasn't suggesting anything unhealthy like VLCD. She was suggesting a temporary restriction strategy to get the OP the desired position of moderation.

Simply reducing portions to get to moderation doesn't work for everyone - some need to get there via a different route.

Surely the benefit of this being an open forum is the OP gets differencing choices to choose from and to see what's best for them.
  • KaelaLee88
    KaelaLee88 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    They say it takes 12 weeks to form a new habit and for your choices to get easier.

Whether you are a "dirty" or "clean" eater, keep within your Macros. My Husband and I don't deprive ourselves of things we want to eat but we also only allow ourselves to eat what we can afford calorie wise.

For us, that involves portion control more than anything else and there is nothing wrong with that.

Weight loss involves eating at a deficient to your maintenance calories and it is the science of numbers in vs. Numbers out.

You can eat what you like (within reason) as long as you watch your Macros x
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    I totally disagree that there are no bad foods. Different foods effect you mentally and physically in different ways. When everyone decided that fat was bad they removed that from food and replaced it with sugar...and that's when everybody ballooned.
    Did you really just recommend a Lustig book? Really? Wow, I don't even know where to begin.

Oh if only it was that easy to get on your ignore list - I would start all my posts with that phrase.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    I also found the "detox" approach very helpful. Initially, I focused on nutrient dense proteins, good fats and vegetables for several weeks. I had/ve a considerable sweet tooth, so to help with that, I opted for occasional fruit or dark chocolate. I was eating deeply satiating foods, so even when I got cravings, I was rarely actually hungry -- which helped a lot with the cravings.

I was shocked by how much my taste buds/cravings had changed after 4 weeks. I still LOVE certain desserts and pastries -- like there is a cupcake place that makes these amazing miniature vanilla cupcakes -- but I found a lot of them to no longer appealing. Actually it was a little disappointing, but also liberating. Some desserts I still love -- like the little cupcakes, cheesecake, creme brule -- but a lot of the cakes, cookies and pastries just don't do it for me anymore. Same with milk chocolate -- now it just tastes super sweet to me and not as chocolate-y and I opt for dark chocolate instead and find that far more satisfying.

I do believe that there is an addictive quality to certain combinations -- especially sugar-fat combinations. They spark certain pleasure centers in the brain, and like all drugs, you adapt and have to take bigger and bigger hits to get the same satisfaction/pleasure. Just like booze. If you have a higher tolerance, you've got to drink a lot more to get buzzed. So, what I did, is just greatly lower my sugar/sweets tolerance by not eating it that much anymore. So, when I do indulge, I get a lot of satisfaction from those I like and many of the others just aren't that great anymore. I think a lot of cravings are symptoms of withdrawal -- whether it's for sugar, nicotine, booze or drugs.

An interesting book that talks about this, in part, and about how different entities have used this knowledge to manipulate eating habits is Mindless Eating. Really fascinating book.

For me personally, this way of eating has cut down on my carvings by a HUGE amount. After a few months of eating this way, I rarely had strong cravings for sweets anymore (it's been in the years level now). And fruit tastes soooo much better! And most desserts just aren't that appealing to me anymore -- though some still are. I just know where to get the most bang for my buck now.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

Oh if only it was that easy to get on your ignore list - I would start all my posts with that phrase.
    If that's how you feel, the solution is simple: Put him on YOUR ignore list.

Maybe if you ate more sugar, you would have thought of that ...
  • jonnythan
    Options

If that's how you feel, the solution is simple: Put him on YOUR ignore list.

Maybe if you ate more sugar, you would have thought of that ...

Carb intake is strongly correlated with brain function. Just putting that out there.
  • KombuchaCat
    KombuchaCat Posts: 834 Member
    Options

I've been up and down with my weight for years. When I first joined MFP I lost 25 lbs, then slipped back into old habits and gained it all back and more. Just counting calories wasn't enough. I had to rethink my relationship with food and heal myself. I've certainly done alot wrong in the weightloss department.
    The low fructose thing is fairly new for me. Since I began the weight has been going down and the cravings have subsided quite a bit. I still have them but it feels like I actually have a normal appetite. I eat fruit but stay away from fruit juice. I reduced honey from up to 2 tablespoons/day to 1/4-1/2 tsp/day. I was vegan but now eat some meat, fish and dairy and I am not saying to cut out any food group. I'm just suggesting that reducing the added sugar might help.