Sugar and processed food good or bad?

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation.... the key to just about everything in life.
    I totally agree with this, but if everyone could handle moderation of sugar or fatty foods, would anyone be overweight? So, based on that, I personally do believe I can label some foods as "good" or "bad" (for me, and for others), because most people have a trigger food that they cannot just have a small amount of without overindulging.:ohwell:

Sounds like more of a psychological problem, than the food itself - right?
    Absolutely...food is very emotional for many people...

My point is this....if eating something is only ok in small amounts, then I would label it as bad if its something that triggers me to eat large amounts (for example..not everyone can eat just one little slice of pizza, or 10 potato chips, then walk away satisfied).

So foods which are caloric, but dense in nutrients are bad?
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    When I stopped assigning moral values to foods, I reclaimed control of my eating. The responsibility was mine the whole time, of course, but I couldn't see it as long as I was giving food so much power.

So the answer to your question "good or bad?" is simply "no."
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Moderation, moderation, moderation.... the key to just about everything in life.
    I totally agree with this, but if everyone could handle moderation of sugar or fatty foods, would anyone be overweight? So, based on that, I personally do believe I can label some foods as "good" or "bad" (for me, and for others), because most people have a trigger food that they cannot just have a small amount of without overindulging.:ohwell:

It makes no sense to ignore the psychological aspects of diet and weight loss. The brain is a part of the body too.

It's a personal problem if you lack willpower and the ability to control portions.

I can overeat on steak, chicken, fish etc. all of which are all "nutrient dense" foods and still end up becoming overweight. So they are now labeled bad foods by that same school of thought?

Wait, what? What school of thought?

Do you mean trigger foods? If these are trigger foods that you find difficult to eat without overeating, then yes, they would be bad. For you. As you say, it's a personal problem. Many psychological issues are personal.
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    neither

:explode:
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Emotions aside....eating a whole pizza, or eating half a bag of chips in one sitting, IS bad, because these are not "healthy' choices
    I disagree. I'm allowed to make unhealthy choices for myself if I want to. What I can't do is do that and then expect that choice to be consequence-free.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What the heck is happening in your ticker? :laugh: :noway: :huh:
    That's Rollie Free setting an American land speed record at Bonneville Salt Flats in 1948.

Quite an inspirational figure - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollie_Free
  • molarbear31
    Options
    Emotions aside....eating a whole pizza, or eating half a bag of chips in one sitting, IS bad, because these are not "healthy' choices
    I disagree. I'm allowed to make unhealthy choices for myself if I want to. What I can't do is do that and then expect that choice to be consequence-free.

Are we talking about 'bad' being 'bad' for our health? Because, if so, then yes...they are bad for our health. If 'bad' just being a socially constructed 'bad' thing to do, then no. Totally the choice of the person.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

Absolutely...food is very emotional for many people...

My point is this....if eating something is only ok in small amounts, then I would label it as bad if its something that triggers me to eat large amounts (for example..not everyone can eat just one little slice of pizza, or 10 potato chips, then walk away satisfied). Emotions aside....eating a whole pizza, or eating half a bag of chips in one sitting, IS bad, because these are not "healthy' choices

It's entirely possible to eat a while pizza and it not be bad. It's not even hard.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    Your'e right, but most of the time bad choices = bad consequences......so my point was that (personally), I do consider some foods "good" or "bad" for various reasons.
  • SoreTodayStrongTomorrow222
    Options
    Bad in relation to unprocessed whole foods and unrefined sugars in fruit etc. Will it kill you or wreck your diet? No. But if you're really really trying to live a healthier lifestyle - stay away from them.
  • LolBroScience
    Options

Wait, what? What school of thought?

Do you mean trigger foods? If these are trigger foods that you find difficult to eat without overeating, then yes, they would be bad. For you. As you say, it's a personal problem. Many psychological issues are personal.

::shrug:: I don't let food control me - So for me, no there is no such thing as good or bad. I don't have an issue with trigger foods.

I can't speak on behalf of others. But I think it's silly to label a food as "bad" simply because you can't control your own habits.
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    It's entirely possible to eat a while pizza and it not be bad. It's not even hard.
    Not for me....and probably not the kind of pizza I'd want to eat....:laugh:
  • HollyKarlsen
    HollyKarlsen Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    The less processed foods in your diet, the healthier you will be. Eat your food as close to the way God made it as possible. When food is cut up, nutrients at the surface deteriorate. The more it's processed, the more nutrients you lose, making foods that have been pulverized (like flour and sugar) pretty dead, especially if it's been sitting in a warehouse, a truck and then a store for who knows how long before you actually eat it. To counteract this, companies replace the nutrients that were lost with synthetic versions that your body does not know what to do with because they're not real food.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    When I stopped assigning moral values to foods, I reclaimed control of my eating. The responsibility was mine the whole time, of course, but I couldn't see it as long as I was giving food so much power.

So the answer to your question "good or bad?" is simply "no."

This. And so perfectly phrased. Nice work there.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    When food is cut up, nutrients at the surface deteriorate.

No. Just no.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Seriously OP, you haven't learned this yet?

It came about from another thread. I've found a shocking amount of people, on a fitness website nonetheless, who talk about how everything is fine. It's all the same. There are no differences with processed food, added sugar, chemicals, etc. Just eat in moderation.

Although I agree with the moderation approach as being a good rule of thumb for many, I've been just shocked by some folks that say it's all the same. I'm starting to agree with some other users that such people are not true MFP users, but paid food corp. reps as I can't imagine how such outlandish claims otherwise make any sense.

True or false - "clean foods", if consumed in excess, can cause weight gain and other adverse effects.

The reason that so many MFP users defend processed food is simple; there is little evidence that many chemicals are dangerous.

The burden of proof almost always lies on the shoulders of "clean eaters", who almost never provide an effective, fact based counter argument.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    They aren't inherently bad but they can become bad if they hang out with the wrong crowd
  • LolBroScience
    Options
    Seriously OP, you haven't learned this yet?

It came about from another thread. I've found a shocking amount of people, on a fitness website nonetheless, who talk about how everything is fine. It's all the same. There are no differences with processed food, added sugar, chemicals, etc. Just eat in moderation.

Although I agree with the moderation approach as being a good rule of thumb for many, I've been just shocked by some folks that say it's all the same. I'm starting to agree with some other users that such people are not true MFP users, but paid food corp. reps as I can't imagine how such outlandish claims otherwise make any sense.

True or false - "clean foods", if consumed in excess, can cause weight gain and other adverse effects.

The reason that so many MFP users defend processed food is simple; there is little evidence that many chemicals are dangerous.

The burden of proof almost always lies on the shoulders of "clean eaters", who almost never provide an effective, fact based counter argument.

Das it mane
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    The less processed foods in your diet, the healthier you will be. Eat your food as close to the way God made it as possible. When food is cut up, nutrients at the surface deteriorate. The more it's processed, the more nutrients you lose, making foods that have been pulverized (like flour and sugar) pretty dead, especially if it's been sitting in a warehouse, a truck and then a store for who knows how long before you actually eat it. To counteract this, companies replace the nutrients that were lost with synthetic versions that your body does not know what to do with because they're not real food.

Sometimes our bodies don't know what to do with "real food".
    Like my best friend, for example.
    She is trying out "clean eating" and ate I don't know how many raw vegetables yesterday.

Last night, I had a serving of chicken and broccoli Chinese take-out. Followed it up with 1/2 a Ben & Jerry's ice cream bar.

My friend spent the night on the toilet with volcanic diarrhea.
    Me? Nope. Not one rumble in my tummy.

But hey, whatever floats your ark.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    When food is cut up, nutrients at the surface deteriorate.

No. Just no.

I can't even touch that post with a ten foot pole.
This discussion has been closed.