So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

Options

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    It's more than worth the work for me. I'm now healthy and fit and have a very active lifestyle. I changed my lifestyle, though, didn't "diet". I have the same hobbies I used to, but I'm also way more active with sports. Life is more enjoyable for me, and my high energy and fitness contributes. As others said, you have to have your own issues in check, too. I had worked on self-esteem and such before deciding to get healthy and lose my excess weight.
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I know I am having way more fun with 45 less pounds on me. :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    No, being "skinny" is not worth it.

If you want to focus on strength, endurance, flexibility, mobility, and general physical and emotional health, then yes.

If you want to focus on being "skinny," you will have the same problems you had when you were fat. I say this from experience.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I wonder about this also. I would just like to jolly well eat whatever I please. Of course I would like to spend money that way also. But hate the consequences. It is a strain hanging over your head when you are in debt or when you are heavy. You don't feel free. Of course you don't feel free when you have to count calories either. Like people have said on here it is hard, pick your hard, hard to be fat, hard to count calories.

I know I have more confidence, if you are dating you are much preferred over obese, in the work world you are much more able to get a job because if you are fat they think you are slow and lazy and don't take control of your life. You are looked down on for letting yourself go and for not have taken care of yourself.

I just know I was feeling bad about myself 45 lbs heavier, I am more confident now. I am figuring stuff out now rather than eat which feels good. I am able to sleigh ride with my grandchildren, go to parks,go down sliding boards, ride rides and not be embarrassed if I could not fit into a ride. I can walk around places all day without pain unlike my heavy friends. I can go to the doctor and weigh and not be embarrassed, I can fit into clothes and I use to have to wear everything with stretchy waist. Yes, I believe it is worth it, I am happier when I am smaller. I feel like I am accountable, taking control and being successful just like I felt when I paid bills down in my earlier years and got out of debt. Cant have everything and find a balance.
  • Mini_horse_lover
    Mini_horse_lover Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say im skinny but losing the weight has made me a lot happier in myself and have a lot more confidence.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    If you really mean SKINNY, then NO. It's unhealthy and horrible. I have a friend who is about 5 feet 5 and weighs at most 100 lbs. She has no strength, no resistance, gets sick all the time, has no stamina, and looks like a bundle of sticks. She hates it, but can't gain weight no matter what she eats. Doesn't help that she smokes like a chimney, too. We were co-workers, and I could work rings around this girl. She couldn't wrestle a thirty pound package into her mail car.
  • starshine420
    Options
    being skinny isn't worth it, being healthy is.
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    If you do it right, you can be fit ("skinny" is a dirty word in my house) and still enjoy all the food you want.
  • ObtainingBalance
    ObtainingBalance Posts: 1,446 Member
    Options
    I'm miserable when I am overweight.

I feel much more energized when I am eating right, concerned about fitness, and when my weight is at a healthy number.

I think it's worth it, but I have lost weight in the past and allowed myself to gain back. Not because I woke up one day saying "Oh, I was happier that way...I need to get it back, I should eat a bag of chips."

No, it was more because I have bad impulse habits, like overeating. I eat when I am lonely, bored, stressed - and I let myself go back to those old coping ways.
    I should have kept taking care of myself, the end result of that is always more wonderful than overeating and not being active.
  • jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Well let's see...I've probably lost the same 50 pounds and gained it back about 6 times, most recently I lost over 100 but have gained about 20 back! If it was the most amazing thing ever and all my problems went away and life was perfect being thin, then I probably wouldn't keep gaining it back! Lol
    I feel better, healthier, have more confidence, enjoy wearing smaller clothes and fitting into a booth without fear of it bring too small, but maintaining is hard!!! I gain weight super quick...all I gave to do is skip a few days of exercising and eat out a few times and the weight comes back on like wild fire. It's very depressing and I always feel deprived. I would say trying maintain a "maintainable weight" instead of being super thin and super hungry is the better way to go.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    So tell us...is being skinny worth it?

The phrasing of that tells me there was too much focus on look and not on health. Being healthy is NEVER about skinny or you weight in numbers. It is about being active to maintain muscle and cardiovascular systems. It is about eating healthy to support activity and the functions of your body.
  • RenaHewitt
    RenaHewitt Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Bump for later!!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    I've been thin, I've been overweight. Thin is better than anything can taste.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    Thin is better than anything can taste.

You may feel this way but I'm going with no way. If I had the choice between giving up the food I love or being thin, I'd stay overweight. No questions. Thankfully, I don't have to do that ever.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    Thin is better than anything can taste.

You may feel this way but I'm going with no way. If I had the choice between giving up the food I love or being thin, I'd stay overweight. No questions. Thankfully, I don't have to do that ever.
    [/quote

ABSOLUTELY! There is such a thing as quality of life.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I feel like this is an issue with moderation.

Once you have achieved a healthy weight and actviity level, it is not AS MUCH work to maintain it. Weight LOSS is a lot of work, weight MAINTENANCE is less work.
    For me the whole point of a lifestyle change is to be comfortable enough in the new lifestyle that it doesn't feel like "work" anymore. For example I won't be counting calories then because that's what the lifestyle change phase is for, to learn all the new tricks and tools, after which I will count on my brain to recall when needed. I also believe there is a limited number of times one can look at a new portion size, before one should be able to know things by heart; information that inevitably sticks whether you try actively or not to remember (compare to knowledge of road signs; might be tricky the first few times but then you know them and only in the case of a rare sign you'll have to consult a manual later).

Changing my lifestyle is ranging from Yeah! to Hate this! right now, with mostly okay days in between, so I'd call it "work", but that's because I'm not used to all of it yet. In other words, changing habits can be painful depending on the circumstances of each given day.

Once I've adapted to the new, healthy way of living, I hope for it to be like second nature - thanks to all the new habits put in place. And I can't say I'm done changing habits until they truly are changed, so currently I can't tell how long it will take me to reach the "end point". And once I'm "done", I'm convinced there will be some days when I might go backwards a step or two (because innate behaviours can go much deeper than expected at this point), but I really can't see how most of the new habits can still feel like work if they are genuinely a part of me then.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I've been thin, I've been overweight. Thin is better than anything can taste.
    I believe in the School of Moderation. Even now I'm not depriving myself of anything, because I do have a sweet tooth and while I have taught it not to crave so much, I still enjoy the occasional, exquisite baked good, chocolate, ice cream or such. I don't see this preference going anywhere, which is why I think it's important to make informed decisions, so that if I include a decadent dessert as Sunday dinner finale, I'm prepared to pay the cost through exercise. If I know the cost, I'll make an informed decision whether it's worth it to me that day or not. Moderation without deprivation is true quality of life if you ask me. If my palate thinks something tastes good, then why not make the necessary adjustments to enjoy in small quantities?
  • katznkt
    katznkt Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Yes. You should still have times to enjoy good food, but those days skills just be limited to special occasions so it doesn't deprive you if the other enjoyment of life.

I get more chronic enjoyment from being able to walk comfortably in heels, or up stairs, or chasing my kiddos or not getting funny sad looks from strangers than I do for overeating for the equivalent of an hour a day.

And bonus, I enjoy my new food as much if not more than the bad stuff when I do have a food focused day.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Honestly, for me, at this point it's a toss-up. I've gone from 220ish to 155ish but it's taken 5 years. I realize I'm not old by any means but I wonder if my age has something to do with it. I never felt bad when I was 220 and 24 years old - no aches, pains, energy issues, or health issues. I just didn't like the way I looked and I was tired of having a husband who was thinner than me. Now that I'm 29 and 155 I don't feel great. I don't have more (or any) energy. My health isn't perfect. I seem to have more backaches than I ever used to and I have one knee and one ankle that give me serious problems. More importantly I don't feel like I look THAT much better. My boobs are sad, my stomach is iffy, and my face is more angular and seems almost more masculine than it used to. I'm also hungry most of the time and miss being able to be satisfied by what I'm eating/drinking. I realize I'm not a special snowflake (or whatever snarky phrase is being used at this time) but I've been at this long enough to know that I have to eat a relatively small amount of food in order to lose or maintain and it will likely always be that way. It sucks. There are some things I love that I will never be able to fit into my day no matter how much I exercise and it's frustrating. I don't feel normal. I'm banking on there being serious health benefits in the future because otherwise it really hasn't been worth it to me.

I feel the same way right now, but then again, Spring allergies always get me down, and when I'm depressed and boogery, nothing in the world is good.

But it's hard, and it hasn't done much for my life, and I still don't look in any way acceptable naked (I do look damn good in clothes, though). I am also not a super human health specimen. My knees gimped on me and I can't jog anymore (that was depressing for real) I still have asthma and I still wheeze, and even though being thinner helps my social anxiety a lot, it's still not enough to make me actually want to be around people. Hell, that might not even be anxiety, maybe I just don't like being around people.

Anyway, the people who brush it off as breezy easy, just get to goal weight and eat at maintenance, have perhaps never used up energy that could have been used elsewhere wrestling with hunger all day. It's not cheap in any way to be a healthy low weight. Along with energy, I find it far more expensive on my already very limited wallet.

So is it really worth it? Maybe. Jury still out. If I ever decide it's not worth it, I can always get fat again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!