looking for nutritarian friends

Replies

• lthames0810
    lthames0810 Posts: 722 Member
    in for later
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    in for later

Why did you bump this? I was hoping it was going to ground.
  • FrankWorsley
    FrankWorsley Posts: 106 Member
    "There's plenty of research that more protein helps for certain endeavors like large amounts of muscle mass and strength but Dr. Fuhrman points out that these types of individuals such as bodybuilders and football players don't have optimal health. Optimal health is being slender and lean with a moderate amount of muscle mass and it's not good for your body to carry around excessive amounts of mass, whether it is fat or muscle."

An interesting statement. Thoughts?
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    "There's plenty of research that more protein helps for certain endeavors like large amounts of muscle mass and strength but Dr. Fuhrman points out that these types of individuals such as bodybuilders and football players don't have optimal health. Optimal health is being slender and lean with a moderate amount of muscle mass and it's not good for your body to carry around excessive amounts of mass, whether it is fat or muscle."

I have always wondered about this, and I suppose someday I'll wonder enough to look for research on it, though I haven't yet. Added weight is added work for the heart. In fact, even the faster metabolism that comes from having a lot of muscle is added work for the heart. Does the added work help or hinder? I don't know, but I think it's an interesting question.

Does Dr. Huhrman site studies that he used to form his opinion? If so, I'd be interested in them if you can post any links.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

I don't agree.

To gain a huge amount of muscle is a lot of work anyway.

I am lean and light. I weigh 100 pounds. And I lift heavy weights (heavier than my own body weight), and eat 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass. This is excellent for my health, fitness, mobility, strength, flexibility, abilities, bone density, aging well, well being, energy, and the health of my skin.
  • Strokingdiction

I want to know what the parameters of "optimal health" consist of.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

So, he's defining optimal health as whatever he wants and then suggesting that his diet supports it?
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member

A number of flaws.

He doesn't define "large amount of muscle mass." He maked the assertion that "these types of individuals," which he doesn't define, "don't have optimal health" with zero evidence. He defines "optimal health" as "slender and lean" for unknown reasons and offers zero evidence for the claim. He uses the term "excessive amounts of mass" without defining what that means.

The entire paragraph is completely without merit of any kind.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member

Tell that to the neanderthals who survived for 300,000+ years including surviving ice age winters..... they had a high lean body mass, in fact they evolved that way because those with less lean body mass died in those harsh ice age winters (less lean mass + more slender frame = losing heat more easily) or were not strong enough to hunt large animals with middle palaeolithic thrusting spears. They evolved high lean body mass because this is what enabled them to survive. and a species doesn't survive for 300,000 years by having sub-optimal health.

Meanwhile in Africa Homo sapiens evolved to be more slender because of the hotter climate (losing heat more easily is an advantage in this environment) and they also developed the use of long range weapons, requiring less strength to use - their methods of hunting required being able to run fast and throw a spear accurately. This led to people evolving smaller frames (and a shoulder joint better adapted for spear throwing.)

so the statement is silly. How much lean mass you have is mainly determined by genetics, although you can increase it (within your genetic limits) by doing the right kind of exercise and eating more protein. And you can decrease it by starving yourself or eating too little protein, but this won't be healthy whether you're built more like a neanderthal or a Homo sapiens. Increasing lean body mass using natural methods (i.e. without taking steroids) leads to better musculoskeletal health, as the risk of joint problems, osteoporosis and loss of lean mass going into old age is reduced.

Optimal health = having the right amount of lean body mass for your genetics and maintaining it, especially through middle age and into old age. Starving off lean body mass = very sub-optimal health. So he's totally and utterly wrong.

Having a high lean body mass doesn't stop you from having good cardiovascular health either. In fact the major compound lifts, e.g. squats, deadlifts, activate the cardiovascular system in the same way that sprinting does, and as such will have a similar benefit to cardiovascular fitness as doing sprints.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

A number of flaws.

He doesn't define "large amount of muscle mass." He maked the assertion that "these types of individuals," which he doesn't define, "don't have optimal health" with zero evidence. He defines "optimal health" as "slender and lean" for unknown reasons and offers zero evidence for the claim. He uses the term "excessive amounts of mass" without defining what that means.

Fuhrman was a professional ice dancer. i think he's just jealous of actual athletes. :laugh:
  • suecatjkl
    suecatjkl Posts: 13
    So does anyone have any good pudding recipes or what!!!??
  • neandermagnon
    So does anyone have any good pudding recipes or what!!!??

OP: I love your style :drinker:

I have lots of good pudding recipes but probably they don't match nutritarian requirements... my idea of pudding comes with fruit, sugar, crumble and custard and vanilla ice cream. Or possibly pie, custard and ice cream.
  • BinaryPulsar

A number of flaws.

Fuhrman was a professional ice dancer. i think he's just jealous of actual athletes. :laugh:

Or maybe people that are artists with their bodies sometimes get accustomed to a different aesthetic due to the look they are generally supposed to have. I actually didn't know he was an ice dancer. That actually is more interesting. Maybe you should try it, Brainy. :wink:
  • Strokingdiction

Tell that to the neanderthals who survived for 300,000+ years including surviving ice age winters..... they had a high lean body mass, in fact they evolved that way because those with less lean body mass died in those harsh ice age winters (less lean mass + more slender frame = losing heat more easily) or were not strong enough to hunt large animals with middle palaeolithic thrusting spears. They evolved high lean body mass because this is what enabled them to survive. and a species doesn't survive for 300,000 years by having sub-optimal health.

Meanwhile in Africa Homo sapiens evolved to be more slender because of the hotter climate (losing heat more easily is an advantage in this environment) and they also developed the use of long range weapons, requiring less strength to use - their methods of hunting required being able to run fast and throw a spear accurately. This led to people evolving smaller frames (and a shoulder joint better adapted for spear throwing.)

so the statement is silly. How much lean mass you have is mainly determined by genetics, although you can increase it (within your genetic limits) by doing the right kind of exercise and eating more protein. And you can decrease it by starving yourself or eating too little protein, but this won't be healthy whether you're built more like a neanderthal or a Homo sapiens. Increasing lean body mass using natural methods (i.e. without taking steroids) leads to better musculoskeletal health, as the risk of joint problems, osteoporosis and loss of lean mass going into old age is reduced.

Optimal health = having the right amount of lean body mass for your genetics and maintaining it, especially through middle age and into old age. Starving off lean body mass = very sub-optimal health. So he's totally and utterly wrong.

Having a high lean body mass doesn't stop you from having good cardiovascular health either. In fact the major compound lifts, e.g. squats, deadlifts, activate the cardiovascular system in the same way that sprinting does, and as such will have a similar benefit to cardiovascular fitness as doing sprints.

I love reading your anthropology based responses. I find myself smiling the entire time. I don't know why I smile though it's probably because they are such thoroughly fascinating perspectives. Thanks.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member

A number of flaws.

Or maybe people that are artists with their bodies sometimes get accustomed to a different aesthetic due to the look they are generally supposed to have. I actually didn't know he was an ice dancer. That actually is more interesting. Maybe you should try it, Brainy. :wink:

nope. i'm allergic to glitter. :tongue:
  • BinaryPulsar

A number of flaws.

:smile:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member
    I'm an Asianarian eater. Spam anyone?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • neandermagnon

A number of flaws.

believe it or not I've actually tried some ice dancey figure skatey things.......... I can do cherry flips and 3-jumps in full ice hockey kit. :drinker:

(I had power skating lessons with a figure skating/ice dancing coach for a while, to optimise my skating technique for ice hockey... it's very effective especially with regards to learning how to use all 4 edges of the skate correctly (that is the inner and outer edge of the skate on either foot equally as well).... learning how to do a 3 turn is particularly beneficial for ice hockey.... you need to make sure the coach is familiar with ice hockey and ice hockey skates (lack of toe picks!) though... the guy who coached me had also played ice hockey for a while but prefered dance/figure stuff)
  • neandermagnon

I love reading your anthropology based responses. I find myself smiling the entire time. I don't know why I smile though it's probably because they are such thoroughly fascinating perspectives. Thanks.

I think one of the reasons why I love this whole topic so much is that it does give an alternative perspective on many things in life.... as in why did this evolve? what were our ancestors doing that meant this trait gave them an evolutionary advantage, etc.
  • BinaryPulsar

A number of flaws.

believe it or not I've actually tried some ice dancey figure skatey things.......... I can do cherry flips and 3-jumps in full ice hockey kit. :drinker:

(I had power skating lessons with a figure skating/ice dancing coach for a while, to optimise my skating technique for ice hockey... it's very effective especially with regards to learning how to use all 4 edges of the skate correctly (that is the inner and outer edge of the skate on either foot equally as well).... learning how to do a 3 turn is particularly beneficial for ice hockey.... you need to make sure the coach is familiar with ice hockey and ice hockey skates (lack of toe picks!) though... the guy who coached me had also played ice hockey for a while but prefered dance/figure stuff)

Love that!

I actually did figure roller skating.