people who spend 2hrs/per day working out

Options
ok, so i am a little curious, how do you make time to workout for 2hrs plus, when you have other committments like sch, work, kids etc, i love to workout but i am able to go beyond 1.5hrs only because my mom is with me taking care of my lil ones whiles i workout/go to work.i am thinking of how to continue when she leaves in abut 45days.
please share how you do it.:happy:

Replies

• La_Mema
    La_Mema Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I try to get in my two hours daily - One hour at the gym during lunch (I have a really great boss who doesn't mind me taking extra time at the gym a twice a week). The other days, I try to walk for an hour, or go back to the gym after work, after cooking dinner/cleaning, I will go for a run, cleaning counts as working out if you add some music to it and stop to do some squats, jumping jacks, or just dance while you sweep or mop (my husband can't understand why I enjoy cleaning so much!!). Five minutes here, ten minutes there, it adds up. And it adds variety to your routine. Do you have cable? Some cable providers offer exercise channels, or buy some dvd's that you can use at home. I hope this helps.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    I break my workouts into smaller 30 minute segments. I also workout at home and walk my son to school each morning as part of my workout. On the weekends when the kids are home from school, I let them play outside while I exercise, or they watch Tv while I workout on the Elliptical.
  • awomaame25
    awomaame25 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I try to get in my two hours daily - One hour at the gym during lunch (I have a really great boss who doesn't mind me taking extra time at the gym a twice a week). The other days, I try to walk for an hour, or go back to the gym after work, after cooking dinner/cleaning, I will go for a run, cleaning counts as working out if you add some music to it and stop to do some squats, jumping jacks, or just dance while you sweep or mop (my husband can't understand why I enjoy cleaning so much!!). Five minutes here, ten minutes there, it adds up. And it adds variety to your routine. Do you have cable? Some cable providers offer exercise channels, or buy some dvd's that you can use at home. I hope this helps.

wow, thanks
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I get up early and do an hour before the little one is up. Then I do another at the end of the day after she goes to bed.
  • jim9097
    jim9097 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Actually, my work has a health and wellness program which allows us to add 1 hour to our 30 minute lunch 3 times per week. But it has to be used at our onsite workout facility. So I get an hour there. Then I do martial arts classes 6 days a week. I have just made it part of my daily plan...
  • devonguy7
    Options
    You make time. If you want it that badly, you'll always find a way.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Mine typically gets broken into chunks that are 45 minutes or less. I ride my stationary bike 45 minutes in the morning. Many days I walk for 25-30 minutes during lunch. 3 days per week I lift weights for about 45 minutes. Some days I might do a second cardio session of 30-45 minutes like swim, row or the elliptical. On the weekend I try to ride my bike outside for an hour or so at least one day. Over the course of the week it all adds up.

While I do have a job, I don't have a family to cook and clean for. Generally I can live with not cleaning the house so that I can go do something I enjoy like riding my bike.
  • 1princesswarrior
    1princesswarrior Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    I have a second job that is manual labor.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    an hour and a half a day is adequate for most workout needs.

Also- if you make time to pick up your kids- or go to work- put working out on the same level- make time for it- it's a priority. That's really all there is to it.

Lifting is more important to me than hanging out or drinking- or staying at home on my butt. So I make time for it- and I go out of my way for it even when I'm tired or it's inconvenient. You just have to make it a part of your schedule- rather than just sticking it in when you get spare time.

I have a list of stuff I keep at my house- of things that get done in my 'spare' time. They are small tasks- kitty litter- tidy the living room- sort mail, stuff that needs doing but I never want to do it.

I don't schedule that into my day because I don't care- but it needs to be done- so I kind of wedge it in there. Working out is not like that- I have a Monday- monday is work- gym- dance- I leave at 730- I get home around 1030 PM. I don't come home- I pack my bag and I just do it- because that's the day that we do that stuff.

Unfortunately if you don't schedule it or make it part of your routine- then you'll just be falling constantly into the "how to I find time for this" trap.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I guess if you want to spend 2 hours a day working out, you will find the time and make it a priority. I got my results only working out 3 days a week for 30-45 minutes each session, so don't think that it's a requirement.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    On days where I want to work out longer, I lift in the morning, get back home before my family even wakes up, and run 45 minutes or so on lunch or sometimes head back to the gym after work if we have something going on there (volleyball for my daughter, etc)

The only days that I can make that much time for it in one chunk is Saturday or Sunday and that's pushing it because it's my homework/cleaning day. But, I LOVE endurance running so I make sure to get up early on Saturdays to get extra stuff done before everyone else wakes up and my day starts. I only do the other things I enjoy, like baking, reading, etc if everything is done fo rhte day. Working out is my priority.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I am on an email list and a triathlon coach posted this to it and it really makes sense to me. That said, unless you are training for something specific, there really is no need to be working out 2 hours a day. This is aimed at people training for distance races, but I think it can translate to even those looking to find a half hour to an hour a day.

"It is rare that I walk down the street and FIND money. In fact, I don't think in any aspect of my life, I have ever FOUND Money. I have to make every penny I get. I was recently having a conversation with one of my athletes and the athlete was saying "FINDING time for workouts is harder than the actual workouts". Well, first of all, she was totally correct. The chance of FINDING time is pretty well ZERO. The only way the time becomes available is when we make the time. Then the workout becomes the easy part. But MAKING time for anything is as hard as making MONEY, at least it is for most working age groupers, especially if they have young children....so I said this: ...We need to make time, like we make money, so take FIND out of your vocabulary and you'll have an entirely different approach to time management, because when people waste your time, you'll feel the exact same way as people pissing away your money. Seriously, change the vocabulary and you'll see how it changes your approach to making time :-) As the biggest challenge for most age groupers is to get to the start line of workouts, I thought that I'd share this mindset. Talk to any of the guys who seemingly have "more time to train" and it does not happen by magic. Most are really efficient time managers and do more with the 168 hours we all get in a week than the guy who they are beating who probably has better genetics but is just more disorganized."

It's hard to give specific suggestions without knowing what kind of workouts you are planning to do.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    My exercise time is divded into smaller segments, much of which forms part of my work day.

I cycle commute to work = 30 mins in the morning, 30 mins in the evening.

I'll often take a 20 minute walk at lunchtime, and sometimes a 10 minute walk mid-morning and/or mid-afternoon depending on how things are at work.

3 x per week I lift for around 1 hour after work (I lift at home so I also utilise rest time between sets to do quick chores such as fold laundry, feed the cats, etc.)

Therefore on very active days I will often achieve over 3 hours of active minutes (I use a fitbit), even though I have only set aside 1 hour for designated exercise, which is the lifting.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    1.5 hours is my limit. I lift in my basement and my kids are old enough to keep themselves busy during that time.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Why do you need 2 hours?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    ok, so i am a little curious, how do you make time to workout for 2hrs plus, when you have other committments like sch, work, kids etc, i love to workout but i am able to go beyond 1.5hrs only because my mom is with me taking care of my lil ones whiles i workout/go to work.i am thinking of how to continue when she leaves in abut 45days.

You either have to choose kids or working out. That's why I didn't have kids. Because I want to be able to work out for 3 hours/day. I would either look for a babysitter or a dog who is really good with kids. The herding types seem to work best...... Good luck
  • AlliSteff
    AlliSteff Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I onlydo one long night during the week (Tuesday) and then I also do long Sunday mornings and sometimes Saturdays
  • PrairieRunner2015
    PrairieRunner2015 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It's rather simple for me. We don't have kids, I get off from work at 12:30 on most days, and I really don't have many friends in real life (I'm socially awkward and it's hard for me to make friends....... I'm a nice and helpful guy though.). Working out gives me something constructive to do on most days.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's not generally necessary. Some of us cross the line from necessity to habit. It's like any other thing you enjoy....if you like it and really want to do it, you will generally take time from other things to put towards it.

Unless you've got a specific goal that requires that much training, or unless you just really like working out, you really don't need to just for general fitness and weight loss.
  • Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options

You either have to choose kids or working out. That's why I didn't have kids. Because I want to be able to work out for 3 hours/day. I would either look for a babysitter or a dog who is really good with kids. The herding types seem to work best...... Good luck

Negative....There is an App for that.