people who spend 2hrs/per day working out

Options

Replies

• MMarvelous
    MMarvelous Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I get mine in b/c 1) single 2) no kids 3) live on the road so NO SOCIAL life...LOL However, many others do a morning workout, mid-day and afternoon. The weekends maybe the easier time for a 2 hr workout. Switch with another parent who needs to run errands, workout, etc for free babysitting 2-3 times a week.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Where's the spouse? Can't he watch his offspring while you exercise?

Whoa whoa whoa......Why should he have to watch the kids? He didn't birth them. Way to try to throw him under the bus and create a rift in their relationship.

Not throwing him under the bus at all. Tit for tat.

When it comes to exercise and working out.... He gets his time. She gets her time.

Maybe my solution(s) contributes to why working things out means I will be celebrating my 25th Wedding Anniversary this year. ;-)
  • Miska_
    Miska_ Posts: 84
    Options
    First 30 minutes- people watch

Next 30 minutes- poke around at the equipment

30 minutes after that- get on the equipment

15 minutes stretching for 30 minutes of work

15 minutes to meander out of the gym
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    Where's the spouse? Can't he watch his offspring while you exercise?

Whoa whoa whoa......Why should he have to watch the kids? He didn't birth them. Way to try to throw him under the bus and create a rift in their relationship.

Not throwing him under the bus at all. Tit for tat.

When it comes to exercise and working out.... He gets his time. She gets her time.

Maybe my solution(s) contributes to why working things out means I will be celebrating my 25th Wedding Anniversary this year. ;-)

He gets his time and she can have some time if he says it is ok.
  • scrapjen
    scrapjen Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I spend quite a bit of time "exercising" every day. I know I'm getting more quantity than quality ... I'm a SAHM with the kids in school now, so I do have a little extra time. We have a home gym too, so it's easy to do some on the to do list, then pop down for 20minutes in the gym, do more house/mom stuff, then another quick gym session. Yes, I'm in my workout wear and a ponytail almost all the time, but it really helps break up the day. I have a hard time just sitting, good thing I don't have to have a desk job.

I never just sit and watch TV ... I only watch while on the elliptical. Instead of just reading my book, I'll read while on the exercise bike. If my boy's basketball games have a track above the court (a couple locations do) I'll jog the track while watching them play. I felt like I'd get in a pretty good workout running around with the kids as I coached the kindergarten soccer team. I love doing double duty, getting in two things at once!

When the kids were younger, I would do a lot of walks with them in the stroller and such. The older kids were a HUGE help with the little ones (I went from couch potato to uber exerciser shortly after the birth of my 5th and final baby). Just being flexible, just starting ... and if you only get in 10 minutes before the kidlets need something, you got that 10 minute in and maybe you can get back to it later. It can be a bit frustrating to stop and start, but it still adds up.

As others have said, you don't need to do two hours every day ... I just enjoy staying active and have the time. I do like to eat too, I'm not sure I could keep calories down to the level I'd need to without my extra activity :)
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    If you go around looking for time you'll never find it. You have to make the time happen.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    While I don't have kids (and I understand this is a major factor in terms of taking up time!) the only way I can fit my long workout in is by waking up at 4:30am and going before work. I have school part time too, so this really is the only option. It's certainly not fun, but it's worth it to me
  • Needtostart797
    Options
    I am working out for 6+ hours a day 6-7 days a week
  • ericalyn73
    Options
    2 hours is way too long for me. I have 1 hour a day and I make it count w/ high intensity. Quality over quantity wins every time in my book.
  • mccallp319
    mccallp319 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I go the the gym twice a day. I go once after school and before work, and once after work. You gotta make time to get it done.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    First 30 minutes- people watch

Next 30 minutes- poke around at the equipment

30 minutes after that- get on the equipment

15 minutes stretching for 30 minutes of work

15 minutes to meander out of the gym

Is that your workout or what you're saying those people who are at the gym for 2 hours do?
  • Orion782
    Orion782 Posts: 391
    Options
    I'm sorry, but there is just no need to spend 2 hours a day in the gym every day. If you can't blast yourself in ~45 min a day (give or take), you're doing it wrong and not doing it hard enough. Personally, I have a lot of things I'd rather be doing with my extra 1 hr 25 min than slaving away in the gym when I can get the same/better results in 45 minutes or less.

Now, if you just want to work out for inordinately long amounts of time, or want to eat a ton of calories which you then have the need to burn off, then that's your choice. There is just no scientific evidence that would say that training 2 hrs a day is beneficial...if anything, that will hamper your longterm gains and you'll reach a state of overtraining and/or burnout.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    2 hours is way too long for me. I have 1 hour a day and I make it count w/ high intensity. Quality over quantity wins every time in my book.

I wish people would stop assuming just because my work out is an hour and forty five minutes I'm doing effing nothing at the gym.

I lift- I get a lot done- it takes me over an hour to do it.

that doesn't mean I'm inefficient and I have a crappy work out.

jesush that's annoying.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    No kids and no husband.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Some days I go over the 2 hrs but average 2 hrs daily. I do 15 to 20 minute session with the exception of cycling where I am for 45 minutes or more. Fitting multiple 15 minute exercise sessions into a day is a lot easier than doing a full 2 hrs at a time. I'm doing the majority of my exercises from home so it is easy fitting the sessions in.
  • Catfriend25
    Options
    Hehe DMacca666, same here, no boyfriend, 1 friend who I see once a month, just me and my dog. I do have a social life in the sense that I go to events but then I just work out before I go and I exercise in the hotel with DVDs.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I wish people would stop assuming just because my work out is an hour and forty five minutes I'm doing effing nothing at the gym.

I lift- I get a lot done- it takes me over an hour to do it.

that doesn't mean I'm inefficient and I have a crappy work out.

jesush that's annoying.

Agreed..mine takes 1 1/2 hours 3x a week..I lift heavy...I don't frig and fart around I lift, rest repeat never taking breaks (if I have to pee I go on my rest period) and I don't chat with folks either, I workout alone at home with music blaring, me sweating etc.

I work, have a home, friends, social life etc. oh I am a mom to...he is 19 but sometimes he takes more effort and time than a toddler...

I go for walks on my off days as well or ride my bike or do HIIT...even yesterday in the half rain half snow stupid cold wind maritime weather...

You do what you have to do to make it work.
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Kegels-all day every day. :laugh:
  • brinabj
    brinabj Posts: 28
    Options
    2hrs?!... thats a long time i only do like 1 hr 4x week... either way i have a 4 year old son and i go to the Y and the STAY AND PLAY watches my son while i work out or go to the pool and they use to watch him when he was 3 months too when my mom would go
  • Jewlz280
    Jewlz280 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I think it really just depends on what you're doing and why. I like to lift 3x's a week and planned cardioi 2x's. But my goals are very different than many -- I just want to look and feel better but I don't want to be super strong, an endurance runner, or any of that. So for me and my goals, 2hrs./day just isn't necessary. Now if you are are doing heavy lifting or endurance training and really working to get somewhere, you may need that. But for the average person just wanting to be a bit stronger/toned and healthier and maybe relieve stress, 2hrs isn't needed. Do what you can. Maybe some planned stuff along with just more active in your regular day.