So Mad/Sad/Upset

Options
13»

Replies

• sdonovan96
    sdonovan96 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I've been at this for going on a month and have only lost around 4 lbs...and it fluctuates daily. I'm not worrying so much about the number on the scale but how my clothes are fitting and how I'm feeling. Try to focus more on that and it won't seem like such a big deal to only lose 2 lbs. Good luck and keep up the good work!
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I never understand why people are upset about losing weight "too slow". Why does almost everyone new to weight loss need to lose the weight as fast as possible? You were overweight or fat or stocky or whatever for (probably) a long period of time and it took time to get you to that point, so why would you expect to lose the weight overnight?

A pound a week is a great loss. A half pound a week is a great loss. This morning, I gained weight since the last time I weighed in but I'm wearing my 7/8 jeans with no muffin top for the first time in over a year.
  • mblair1968
    mblair1968 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    2 lbs in 2 weeks! Awesome. If you go bed hungry, so what? It is working. I would suggest drinking more water, or get used to going to bed hungry. Breakfast will taste better!
  • missomgitsica
    missomgitsica Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    One pound a week is exactly what you should be losing. As for the MFP estimates, ignore them . . . there are too many variables for those to be super accurate.

Have you taken your measurements to see how you're progressing there? If you haven't, you most definitely should . . . don't let the scale be the only measure of your progress.
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I gained five pounds this week. As I gained five pounds last week. The scale went down pretty low and shot right back up. I was just able to start heavy lifting and get back into my full workout routine recently and it's so frustrating to see my hard work seem to have the opposite effect of what I want.

But when I take my measurements or look at my body I can already tell a difference. While the scale goes up for God knows what reason - my body is shrinking. more than that, I feel so strong. I'm properly fueling my body, I'm running further and faster, and I have been going to bed with that soreness that feels so good after pushing yourself.

It's not all in the scale. Throw the stupid scale away. I might :)

And 2 pounds is awesome progress! Someone on here posted a picture of what a pound of fat looks like. See it and you will appreciate the 2 pounds gone (I dont know where that picture is, though!) I'd post a picture but I'm hopeless at that - just google "what a pound of fat looks like"

And 1400 calories a day WHILE marathon training? I hope not! I'm a little bigger than you at around 180 and when I'm running 60 miles a week, 1400 calories is NOT going to get my body the fuel it needs to work at it's best
  • GretaGirl8
    GretaGirl8 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I wrote this blog after reading a post very similar to yours. Perspective is very important.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

I love this chart. someone posted it on a thread i started about feeling like a failure.

to OP: this probably adds little consolation...but the scale is moving in the right direction, no? keep working at it, and you will achieve your goals. next week you might lose two pounds. the body doesn't always behave as we anticipate. even previous weight loss successes may not be an accurate picture of what we experience losing weight now.
  • AnIrishLibra
    AnIrishLibra Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I'd love those results!! In the last 14 weeks... I'm averaging about .67 lbs a week. Heck, during Lent, I only lost 1.2 lbs (6 weeks). But I also lost 3% body fat and 4 inches... so I'm ok with only 1.2 lbs loss.

Be patient and keep at it!
  • ShaunaN5
    ShaunaN5 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wrote this blog after reading a post very similar to yours. Perspective is very important.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/the-path-of-success-631437

Love this! I just printed it out to hang by the mirror I look in every morning!!!
  • Supergirl9801
    Options
    I know it's hard to be patient. I have similar stats to you (not sure of you're height though). I'm 5'6" and started at 168 and now I'm at 164 and it's been about 5 weeks. I was getting frustrated too. I realized (thanks to helpful peeps on here) that I wasn't logging accurately too. I would've sworn I was because I was using measuring cups/spoons and entering info right off nutrition labels. What I didn't know is that nutrition labels can be off by 20% or MORE. So you really need to WEIGH your food. I was super shocked when I measured my snack of peanuts for 1/4 cup and then weighed it. By weighing it, it was almost 2 full servings compared to the measuring cup method. That was over an extra 100 calories for just that one snack. I couldn't believe it. So, I try my best to weigh everything now...even pre-packaged stuff. I know I feel fuller and it's much easier going between meals with no snacks if my meals are high in protein. High protein also helps avoid losing the muscle your building with working out.
  • jsissom86
    jsissom86 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    That's two whole pounds of hamburger...look at it that way! That's alot!
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    A pound a week is a really good loss.

The patience needed is frustrating for me too so I get what you are saying.. It seems like such a long ways off but I try to picture the end of this year. If I keep going with this slow loss - I will in fact reach my goal. I will be there. One year of my life and I'll achieve what I want. One year is a drop in the bucket. I've promised myself I'd keep taking one step at a time all year. The year will pass either way and I'll be exactly where I am now if I quit.

Also - I have learned a lot about how to eat throughout the day so I'm not so starved. I've tweaked things to include more protein at each meal and snack, which meals to make a little bigger, etc.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Hey, that's better than my first two weeks when I GAINED two pounds!
  • asciiqwerty
    asciiqwerty Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I know it's hard to be patient. I have similar stats to you (not sure of you're height though). I'm 5'6" and started at 168 and now I'm at 164 and it's been about 5 weeks. I was getting frustrated too. I realized (thanks to helpful peeps on here) that I wasn't logging accurately too. I would've sworn I was because I was using measuring cups/spoons and entering info right off nutrition labels. What I didn't know is that nutrition labels can be off by 20% or MORE. So you really need to WEIGH your food. I was super shocked when I measured my snack of peanuts for 1/4 cup and then weighed it. By weighing it, it was almost 2 full servings compared to the measuring cup method. That was over an extra 100 calories for just that one snack. I couldn't believe it. So, I try my best to weigh everything now...even pre-packaged stuff. I know I feel fuller and it's much easier going between meals with no snacks if my meals are high in protein. High protein also helps avoid losing the muscle your building with working out.
    Thanks for posting SuperGirl, i'm so glad it souds like you've tested out some of the sugestions from your thread.
  • Bounce4
    Bounce4 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    That's two whole pounds of hamburger...look at it that way! That's alot!

That is so gross, lol. That is a lot . I'm going to remember that because if I visualize 2 pounds of hamburger leaving my body I'm a very happy girl indeed. I definitely do not want it back!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Reset your expectations. 2 lbs in 2 weeks is fantastic and right on target. You also just finished a marathon, so you're probably retaining some water from that as well. Relax, lower your expectations, celebrate any loss you have, whether large or small.