Why the hate on Planet Fitness?

Options

Replies

• Sovi_
    Sovi_ Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    I want to pick things up and put them down, but they said NO!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I'm a member at PF because I need a jumping off point and I doubt I'll be lifting more than 60 pounds any time soon, and no one goes there in my city. It's nice.
    While they do unnecessary things like tootsie rolls, lunk alarm and pizza Monday, it otherwise fits my fitness needs for now.

which is fine. I don't think anyone judges someone specifically for using the gym.

It's an excellent "fitness facility" or "club" or whatever they want to call themselves- for people with limited options- limited budgets- or need a second gym (many are open 24/7)- or just starting out and have no specfic goals or needs.

Hell my brother apparently is a member there. (I mock him unmercifully for it- but for 20 bucks a month he gets unlimited training and a massage center- that' ALONE is worth the membership!!!

the biggest issue is the premise of the gym being a judgment free zone- and it builds that reputation by making fun of other people- hell "I pick things up and put them down" is a known catch phrase- my land lord suggest a gym when I first moved in and described it as NOT one of those- and I said- oh well that's to bad- because I'm one of those pick things up and put them down people.

We are not judging you specifcally- we don't care.
    But know this
    1.) the gym is judgemental
    2.) that "gymtimidation" stuff- actually that feeling happens whenever you walk into a new gym- but the least judgemental people you'll ever meet are "meat heads" and muscle bound "idiots"

the people that work the hardest- and are often the most mocked- are the ones first willing to help you and reach out to give you some advice or spot a lift.

the perception that planet fitness has generated is great for their gym- but it's been horrible for the rest of the community.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of clubs that welcome what planet fitness calls "lunks." Why not just go there and live and let live. Life is too short to be so bitter.

I'll leave this here again.

If the didn't caracaturize fitness enthusiasts and call them a dull or stupid person; blockhead; an awkward, heavy, or stupid person all while advertising a judgement free zone, they'd catch far less hell.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    LOL

I totally forgot about this- but I'm gonna drag it up anyway because it makes me chuckle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qBRG4RkE51Q

super awesome people- small friendly gym- went there last week for a technical evaluation and prep for my power lifting meet.
  • JackieRL55
    JackieRL55 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Did somebody say bacon???

bacon.gif~original
  • willnorton
    willnorton Posts: 995 Member
    Options
    hmmm..planet fitness...maybe you could call it.... uranus fitness.... uranus can be a planet or could be something else!!!

they are rude, they hire people who know next to nothing about fitness....and they just make me mad.....
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Creates troll thread complaining about trolls, then deactivates....

Seems legit.

Maybe... But a member since 2013 though?

I know. Strange first post.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

I know. Strong first post.

FIFY
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Because it's obviously not a planet. Heck, not even Pluto is a planet anymore so I don't know why a fitness center thinks it can claim the title.

no they returned Pluto to planet status last time I checked.

He's allowed back into the club- membership renued and all.

does Pluto even lift?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

I know. Strong last post.

FIFY

FYFIFY
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

I know. Strong last post.

FIFY

FYFIFY

:drinker:
  • Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    The pizza is cheap. :angry:
  • dauvis
    dauvis Posts: 57
    Options
    Simple answer: PF doesn't cater to a certain segment of the population in a judgmental way but claims to be a judgment free zone.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    and this- because only baby cows drink milk- and I want to pretend I'm a baby cow.

milk... comes from teats...
    Jo... baby cow...

must...resist...

nope, cant' do it...

mooooooooo
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    The pizza is cheap. :angry:
    But are the women? For science and stuff.:wink:
  • Sun_Wukong
    Sun_Wukong Posts: 131
    Options
    I want to pick things up and put them down, but they said NO!
    Word!
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    The OP deactivated their account?
    I'm more than sure she will be on Twitter, Instagram, FB claiming "MFP forum people are asshats."

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Well, most of them are.
  • Gilbrod
    Gilbrod Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Because it's obviously not a planet. Heck, not even Pluto is a planet anymore so I don't know why a fitness center thinks it can claim the title.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

+100!!!!!
  • Cathalain
    Cathalain Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I guess I'm just not getting the "judgment free zone" thing. I joined a small local gym mainly because it emphasizes women's health and fitness (they have a couple of women-only locations here) and I have never for one second felt judged or put down, not even when I was weighed in at 343 pounds.

Most of the time, I don't notice anyone doing anything but concentrating on their OWN workout. Who's got time to judge someone else? Certainly not THIS girl.

Maybe it's just the gym that I'm a member of, but I've only heard of "judgment" happening now and then, it doesn't seem to be this huge problem that Planet Fitness is making it look like - but, hey, if it works as a marketing strategy....

I have nothing against Planet Fitness. I had considered going there myself before I joined my current place, mainly because the membership fees are cheaper than dirt and of course that's always attractive. But... eh, yeah, the "no grunting" rule? If that were the case I'd be kicked out on the first day - I sweat and grunt a little when I'm on the elliptical because I just kick butt like that - while I don't notice anyone else. :tongue:

It's good for those that want to start out and are scared to join a "regular" place because of the fear of how they'll be perceived. But in my experience, I was NEVER judged at my gym, ever. Hell, on the contrary - I was encouraged to keep coming in. It's why I'm still a member there.

(Shout out to Brick Bodies in Baltimore. :wink: )
  • disneygallagirl
    disneygallagirl Posts: 515 Member
    Options

Seems legit.

more bacon and eggs. and planets

less about trolls.

Unless they like bacon- then I guess they can come play.
    Good job scaring off someone who obviously was looking for someone with a shared POV.

not sure if serious... orrr......... yeah. I'm just going to go back to the bacon on this one.

bacon and planets. WTH? seriously LOL :laugh: