Healthy Indian recipe!! Only 300 cals for a HUGE serving!

Options

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I made www.skinnytaste.com 's version of a coconut chicken curry, but it smelled great and was really bland. Will this be like that? I'd hate to waste food for that..
  • nygrl4evr
    nygrl4evr Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    bump...always looking for new recipes!
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I made this today but used no salt added tomato sauce, one can reduced sodium garbanzo beans and a half cup light sour cream instead of yogurt. It came out great! There is no way this would be 2 servings for our family, more like 6! It makes a huge amount of food. Add one cup of brown rice and you have a super filling meal for 500 calories.
  • BadHammers
    Options
    Sounds incredible. Thanks for sharing.
  • Izanami66
    Izanami66 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Just made this last night, with a slight variation: I basically cut the recipe in half and substituted chicken for half of the chickpeas, so I ended up with about 10-12 oz of chicken and one can of chickpeas. Everything else, I cut in half. It was delicious!! I just had one problem. I used fat free Greek yogurt, and while the flavor was great, it kind of separated in the pan. I took it off the heat before adding it, but it was still hot. I'm wondering if it was because its was Greek yogurt, or if was still too hot to add the yogurt when I did. Though it didn't look pretty, it still tasted great. I added a couple tablespoons of sour cream to see if it did the same thing, and it didn't. Does anyone have any tips to prevent that from happening? I may just use sour cream in place of the yogurt, or I may try it with regular yogurt instead of Greek. Either way, delicious dish! Definitely worth a try! Thanks for the idea, OP!! :flowerforyou:

Ok, brief update. I made this again last night, using the same half chicken, half chickpeas method. However, I used regular lowfat yogurt, which I added off the heat, with about 1 1/2 Tbsp. of flour (cornstarch works too) whisked in to be sure to prevent the seizing and separating that happened last time. Turned. Out. Perfect!! My fiancé, who is something of an Indian Food aficionado thinks I hit the nail on the head this time. I also added fresh ginger with the garlic and some chopped fresh cilantro at the end for an extra flavor boost (as if it needed it). Absolutely wonderful!! Thanks for a great and versatile recipe, OP. :flowerforyou: It will be a regular in the rotation.
  • krzykt75
    krzykt75 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Saving for later! Thanks for sharing.
  • nnnykkeee
    nnnykkeee Posts: 10
    Options
    This sounds wonderful!!
  • skierue
    skierue Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • justcat206
    justcat206 Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    Sounds amazing! I make a TON of Indian food, but have to sub in coconut milk for the dairy because of food sensitivities. Can't wait to make this :)
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wow! I just had the full fat version for the first time recently. I will definitely try this!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    bump so i can find again
  • Krstingram
    Options
    bump! gonna try this tonight maybe
  • Sugarhiccup03
    Sugarhiccup03 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bumping to save for later! :)
  • eallen65
    eallen65 Posts: 19
    Options
    I love making my own curry, this one sounds good so will have to try it out.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Just had to come back here and say...thank you! I made this tonight for my family using 16 oz cooked boneless, skinless chicken, and everyone loved it! Made a big portion, even with the chicken. This is on my "keeper" list for sure!!
  • Litababy5
    Litababy5 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • Bluewolverine_77
    Bluewolverine_77 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing, this sounds tasty and I will make sure I give this a try very soon.
  • Trishsimon
    Trishsimon Posts: 129
    Options
    Okay, so anyone who likes Indian food knows that it is a) delicious and b) filled with coconut milk, ghee, cream, and oil. I love a nice warm, creamy Indian stew and have been working on this for awhile to get it right. If anyone is familiar with butter chicken or butter channa (chickpeas) (called chicken/channa makhni at some places), this is my healthified version! Makhni sauce is tomato-based but usually made with a ton of cream and ghee. I totally removed the cream and ghee from this recipe and replaced it with fat-free plain yogurt (regular, not Greek) - it is just as creamy but saves a LOT of calories. Plus the spices make it so flavorful that you really don't miss the fattiness.

Also, I made this recipe with chickpeas for a meatless meal, but you could replace the chickpeas with boneless, skinless chicken breast cubes. You would probably want to pre-cook the chicken breast or at least sear it in a pan before transferring it into the sauce.

Here you go -

Ingredients:

1 small onion, diced
    1 tbsp minced garlic
    1 tbsp garam masala (may sound intimidating but it is common - I got mine at the regular grocery store, it's McCormick brand!)
    1 tbsp curry powder (can also get at any grocery store)
    1 tsp cumin
    1 tsp red pepper flakes (can increase or leave out to your spiciness taste)
    24 oz tomato sauce
    4 x 16 oz cans chickpeas, drained and thoroughly rinsed
    4 cups fresh spinach (optional)
    1 cup non-fat plain yogurt (use Greek at your own risk! I love Greek yogurt but thought it would be too bitter for this recipe)

Directions:
    Cook the onion and garlic over medium heat until onion is soft and translucent (I did this with Pam, but you can use oil - it'll just increase the calories a bit). Add the spices and cook for a few (2-3) minutes. Roasting the spices like this releases their aroma and makes the whole dish more flavorful. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a simmer. When the sauce is heated through, add the chickpeas. Now cover and heat at least until they are heated through or as long as you like (I've done up to an hour)., on low heat so it is gently simmering If you want to throw some spinach into the recipe (not as authentic but I gotta sneak vegetables to my husband somehow), after you've simmered the chickpeas for the time you want, open the pot, put the spinach on top and close it. After the spinach has started to wilt a bit, stir it in and simmer a few more minutes until spinach is almost cooked through. Then stir in the yogurt. Heat through and serve! We have ours on top of brown or white rice. (Even my husband, who HATES spinach, said he couldn't taste the spinach at all - but you could still leave it out. Or if you love spinach you could increase it.)

I added all of the ingredients into the MFP recipe builder and this is what I got if you divide it into 6 servings. Btw, each serving will be HUGE. I have a BIG appetite (can easily eat half an x-large pizza and still have room for more) and I was COMPLETELY full with one serving this, 1/2 c brown rice and some steamed broccoli.

Per serving:
    301 calories
    61 g carbs
    5 g fat
    17 g protein
    1403 mg sodium (note: the actual amount is probably less after rinsing and draining the chickpeas thoroughly)
    19 g fiber

For the whole recipe:
    1805 calories
    365 g carbs
    28 g fat
    101 g protein
    5040 mg (again, probably less in reality)
    113 g fiber

Enjoy! :)

Ah, edited to add that it's even more flavorful the next day :)

Thanks a million for this receipe, Indian is my favourite food and I was looking for a really tasty healthy dish to make :happy:
  • ezloshead
    ezloshead Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I am so hungry now. And I have almost all of this stuff in the house.
  • Crash7676
    Crash7676 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Thx for posting !:flowerforyou: