Peanut butter is not a protein source!!!!!

Options

Replies

• gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is not a protein source or a fat source.

It is a happiness source. :drinker:
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif
  • Hannah_Hopes
    Hannah_Hopes Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Thank you OP.

I will now replace my peanut butter with chicken breast.

Hmm now I want to try PB on Chicken... :ohwell:

I've already done it. It was maple/cinnamon glazed chicken. It was exceptional.

Sounds amazing... that's my dinner planned :drinker:
  • PowKapowBoom
    Options
    :laugh:
  • AlishaRutledge25
    AlishaRutledge25 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    What peanut butter only has 19 cal per serving??? Peanut butter and banana on wheat toast...Mmmmm.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?
    Still here, just watching the world burn.:devil:

I would say that is a bit pessimistic...if you think the world will burn because some of us eat peanut butter.
    Love my peanut butter. It's just funny how many people think me saying it is a fat source is somehow a bad thing.

#fatssetto50%crew#

With respect, I think it was more the title "peanut butter is not a protein source" rather than the fat source thing.......

Agreed. It's even been stated as such. But..perception, I guess >.>
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    YUM, peanut butter, my go to pre run meal (On toast!)

All kinds of yumminess!!!
  • Debbie_Ferr
    Debbie_Ferr Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    I'm goingt o keep on eathing my peanut butter (with no additonal ingredients, not even salt)

Per Harvard.edu

http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Heart_Letter/2009/July/Ask-the-doctor-Why-is-peanut-butter-healthy-if-it-has-saturated-fat

Why is peanut butter "healthy" if it has saturated fat?

Q. I keep reading that peanut butter is a healthy food. But it contains saturated fat and has more sodium than potassium. That doesn't sound healthy to me.

A. The presence of saturated fat doesn't automatically kick a food into the "unhealthy" camp. Olive oil, wheat germ, and even tofu — all "healthy" foods — have some saturated fat. It's the whole package of nutrients, not just one or two, that determines how good a particular food is for health.

Let's take a look at the peanut butter package. One serving (about 2 tablespoons) has 3.3 grams of saturated fat and 12.3 grams of unsaturated fat, or about 80% unsaturated fat. That puts it up there with olive oil in terms of the ratio of unsaturated to saturated fat. Peanut butter also gives you some fiber, some vitamins and minerals (including 200 milligrams of potassium), and other nutrients. Unsalted peanut butter, with 5 milligrams of sodium, has a terrific potassium-to-sodium ratio. Salted peanut butter still has about twice as much potassium as sodium. That profile compares quite favorably with bologna, roast beef, and many other sandwich fixings.

Over the years, numerous studies have shown that people who regularly include nuts or peanut butter in their diets are less likely to develop heart disease or type 2 diabetes than those who rarely eat nuts. Although it is possible that nut eaters are somehow different from, and healthier than, non-nutters, it is more likely that nuts themselves have a lot to do with these benefits.

Saturated fat isn't the deadly toxin it is sometimes made out to be. The body's response to saturated fat in food is to increase the amounts of both harmful LDL and protective HDL in circulation. In moderation, some saturated fat is okay. Eating a lot of it, though, promotes artery-clogging atherosclerosis, the process that underlies most cardiovascular disease. In contrast, unsaturated fats, which make up the majority of the fat content in peanut butter, help reduce LDL cholesterol and lower the risk of heart disease.

I try to eat as healthful a diet as I can. It includes all kinds of nuts, as well as peanut and other nut butters.

— Walter C. Willett, M.D.
    Professor of Nutrition
    Harvard School of Public Health
  • PaulVLJ
    PaulVLJ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is an excellent protein source. 1 oz. of peanut butter has 7 grams protein versus 1 oz. of steak only 5.8 grams of protein. All fats are not equal it is the saturated fat that is a problem. All nuts are high in total fat but low in saturated fat.
  • sed55
    sed55 Posts: 3
    Options
    :smile:
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Yes. it is a 'protein source', in the same way that a lot of foods contain protein.

Personally for me to consider it a useful "protein source" I don't want it to be much too over 100 calories/20g protein.
    Which means you're fairly limited - lean meats, protein powder and so on.
    I'dd add a second category which is things that tend to be around 150 - 180 calories/20g protein. Fine to work in when I've got enough calories to play with and don't mind the fat - moving towards a 'bulk', I've got more calories on my rest days where I don't mind having the fat. Examples include low fat cheeses like the weight watchers Cheddar (30g protein, 10g fat) and low fat mozzarella or (not TOO fatty) corned beef, as well as other meats with more fat.

Otherwise it's just "food" that I wouldn't be looking to specifically meet protein requirements with.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Ok it's a bit ridiculous. The OP didn't say that PB is horrible, just that it's not a good recommendation for people who are looking for high protein sources. I don't know why nuts are always mentioned, frankly. Heck the bread I buy has 3g of protein for 60 calories per slice, it's a better ratio of protein for calories than peanut butter...

She didn't say that it's not a good recommendation for high protein sources. She said, as per the title, that it "is not a protein source" and nothing in her original post stated anything that you are trying to say the OP "said".

She also said "you are now enlightened". I think the tone is what set more people off.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?

I would say that is a bit pessimistic...if you think the world will burn because some of us eat peanut butter.
    Love my peanut butter. It's just funny how many people think me saying it is a fat source is somehow a bad thing.

#fatssetto50%crew#

With respect, I think it was more the title "peanut butter is not a protein source" rather than the fat source thing.......

The assumption that me watching the world burn had anything to do with people eating peanut butter is what I was responding to. I understand and even showed in the op that there was protein in it. I just think it is funny how people push peanut butter as a protein source when someone is having difficulty hitting protein macro.

It is a great food and one I use daily but it is not one I turn to for its protein content but instead it's fat content, since it is the dominant macro in it.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Where'd the OP go?

#fatssetto50%crew#

The assumption that me watching the world burn had anything to do with people eating peanut butter is what I was responding to. I understand and even showed in the op that there was protein in it. I just think it is funny how people push peanut butter as a protein source when someone is having difficulty hitting protein macro.

It is a great food and one I use daily but it is not one I turn to for its protein content but instead it's fat content, since it is the dominant macro in it.

Do you have links for this? Every time I've seen peanut butter mentioned, it's pushed as a way for people to meet their overall calorie goals.

ETA: And the times that peanut butter is mentioned as a "protein" source is usually for those vegetarians/vegans asking for "sources" and people will throw that out because for some, the "little" in there does add up for them.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter is an excellent protein source. 1 oz. of peanut butter has 7 grams protein versus 1 oz. of steak only 5.8 grams of protein. All fats are not equal it is the saturated fat that is a problem. All nuts are high in total fat but low in saturated fat.

On no planet in no way would I consider 7g per 200 calories 'excellent'.

I actually consider that mediocre/lackluster.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Ok it's a bit ridiculous. The OP didn't say that PB is horrible, just that it's not a good recommendation for people who are looking for high protein sources. I don't know why nuts are always mentioned, frankly. Heck the bread I buy has 3g of protein for 60 calories per slice, it's a better ratio of protein for calories than peanut butter...

She didn't say that it's not a good recommendation for high protein sources. She said, as per the title, that it "is not a protein source" and nothing in her original post stated anything that you are trying to say the OP "said".

She also said "you are now enlightened". I think the tone is what set more people off.

Are you saying that people choose to take that in a tone they took offense to? Sounds like a personal issue for those people.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Are you saying that people choose to take that in a tone they took offense to? Sounds like a personal issue for those people.

I'm gonna have to agree with this. Any other time I'd say 'if the tone is keeping you from seeing the message then that's your issue' so I'm going to have to say it in this case too.

If you can't see past tone then oh well, stay mad. /shrug
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mzmd0vdVCF1smcbm7o1_500.gif
  • missyjane824
    missyjane824 Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    Your battery is low

you beat me to it