My Gym has a "Weightloss Pod"

Options
124»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I just podded for a month and lost 20 pounds. Didn't even watch what I was eating. Sometimes I'd bring some weights in the pod with me for the lean muscle transfusion benefits.
    You/...what? :laugh: :laugh:
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    That happened on an episode of Sailor Moon. The girls join a gym and they have these "pods" they get into.

It was draining their energy for the DARK KINGDOM.

Please stop aiding Queen Beryl.

;P

OMG I love you!!
    (sorry, get a little carried away with Sailor Moon... lol)
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I get the "water weight" aspect of it but the heat part. Being SO HOT though, I have to think that some of the Calorie burn has to be similar to the Cals you burn on something like a thermogenic. I sure felt like I ran 4 miles lol. If nothing else I'll continue it because of how relaxing it is, but can they really put a TOTALLy bogus calorie counter on there?

Yes. Yes they can. And they did, apparently.
  • freckledjezebel
    freckledjezebel Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That happened on an episode of Sailor Moon. The girls join a gym and they have these "pods" they get into.

;P

I'm weak.
  • LunaGreen
    LunaGreen Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify a little... The thing is marketed as a "weightloss pod" but the only marketing I have read from them, and given by the people that work there is that its for "relaxation and detox" there happens to be a calorie counter on it and I was told by the man working that it's not likely extremely accurate but does make you FEEL and look slimmer. My actual question was if anyone KNEW how accurate it is.
    I was NOT advised, nor had I considered using it as a SUBSTITUTE for exercise.
    I go to a private gym that also has a tanning studio, it's awesome and NO I do not pay extra to use the pod. What people spend their money on is hard to judge but my membership is affordable to me and includes the gym, classes, unlimited tanning and spray tans, the now infamous pod, and red light therapy. It's just an "everything under the roof" kind-of- deal.
    I thought of sailor moon when I first saw it!

Proceeding at my own risk with one more question....
    HR monitor inside the pod? would this settle the argument OR not work OR destroy the hrm?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify a little... The thing is marketed as a "weightloss pod" but the only marketing I have read from them, and given by the people that work there is that its for "relaxation and detox" there happens to be a calorie counter on it and I was told by the man working that it's not likely extremely accurate but does make you FEEL and look slimmer. My actual question was if anyone KNEW how accurate it is.
    I was NOT advised, nor had I considered using it as a SUBSTITUTE for exercise.
    I go to a private gym that also has a tanning studio, it's awesome and NO I do not pay extra to use the pod. What people spend their money on is hard to judge but my membership is affordable to me and includes the gym, classes, unlimited tanning and spray tans, the now infamous pod, and red light therapy. It's just an "everything under the roof" kind-of- deal.
    I thought of sailor moon when I first saw it!

HR monitor inside the pod? would this settle the argument OR not work OR destroy the hrm?
    I can see relaxation, but detox?

Your body detoxes itself, there is no need for anything else for detox.

Why would you take a heart rate monitor inside there?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options

Sorry, but sitting on your *kitten* does not burn that many calories, even if it is in a super-heated weight loss pod.
  • FitnessDynasty
    Options
    Don't shortcut. At 45 minutes on the elliptical you'll burn nearly 400+ calories that actually mean something than water weight. Stick with the real machines and "Build Your #FitnessDynasty" the right way!
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    People make it sound like diet, exercise and movement are a difficult way to lose weight.

But, actually that is the best, easiest, and most effective. And it results in weight loss and fitness and a balanced look.

If you could lose fat from sitting in a pod, would you really even want that? Why not instead lose weight and improve your health and fitness through using your body through exercise.

You don't need any special tricks, short cuts, or boosts. There are none. If there were, everyone would be doing it and succeeding.

Count calories, meet your macros, eat well, enjoy treats within your goals. Exercise. Move. Be active. Lift Weights or Strength Train. You can do it!!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

There is a loose association for HR and calorie burn in the aerobic exercise range, 90 to your anaerobic threshold, probably 150-170, for steady-state aerobic exercise.

And even in that range, there are all kinds of reasons your HR can be elevated and no bearing on actually burning more calories, except the few extra because the heart as a muscle is beating faster - but not your muscles.

While I'm sure the HR is very steady-state since not moving, heat elevated HR is false increase, same as when it happens in the summer doing cardio and you think you burned more - nope.

Just as bad as wearing it for hot yoga or sitting on couch or anything anaerobic like lifting or sprint intervals.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options

;P

Get out of the pod! You're helping Queen Beryl unleash the awesome power of the Negaforce!

(OT but I always used to get confused whether that episode was part of the Queen Beryl arc or the Doom Tree arc. Either way. Pods suck energy to feed the bad guys.)

Actually, there's a ton of stuff in Sailor Moon that you develop a good aversion to because it helps the bad guys. Like get-rich-quick-schemes and cheat ways to become a celebrity.

Oh, and watch out for any Russian figure skating couples offering free skating lessons at a brand-new rink.
  • misschoppo
    misschoppo Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Never seen one of these....I wouldn't treat it as part of a workout or log the calories you supposedly burn using it but would probably have a go for the fun of it :smile: I usually have a sauna or go in the steam room after a swim or workout and guessing it wouldn't be dissimilar.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I imagine that if you caught all the sweat that dripped off you and drank it back, you'd weigh the same as when you went in.

:sick: Accurate but oh so :sick:
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    That should be illegal. Telling people they burned 400 cals sitting in a pod? There are sideshow magicians who aren't allowed to do that.

Seen magazines at the checkout line at grocery store? Why aren't those illegal with those claims?

*insert results not typical disclaimer - in font so small, you cant friggin read it - here*
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I just podded for a month and lost 20 pounds. Didn't even watch what I was eating. Sometimes I'd bring some weights in the pod with me for the lean muscle transfusion benefits.
    I brought running shoes into the pod with me and well... let's just say I'm pretty fast now.
    I brought a picture of George Clooney into the pod with me last week, and... I'm gonna need help picking a name for the baby...
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    You mean you haven't been in the pod yet?

plants-snatchers2.jpg
  • JenJBS
    JenJBS Posts: 83
    Options

I think I would pay more if I could sit in a pod. Think of the amazing excuses! "Yeah bro, I'd come do a leg workout with you but today is pod day. Sorry."

LOL! Love this! Yes, the wonderful excuses.... :-)