Peanut butter is not a protein source!!!!!

Options

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Nothing childish about pointing out someone's blatant foolishness in an attempt to appear "helpful", or while simultaneously pretending to be "smartly" condescending on the sly.
    You, unlike others ITT who did point out issues with my post, only stated an opinion. But I understand your need to jump in with out having anything useful to add to the discussion, my 4 year old does it all the time.

An opinion ?! oh ok, not facts then ?
    Show me the facts in this statement.:
    Your post is stupid. We are now enlightened on your level of ignorance. Thanks!

umm you said that peanut butter is not a protein source, when in fact it does contain protein….so your whole title is wrong…

but thanks for playing OP ..better luck next time...

But you can't put 'Peanut butter is a Shet/Crap/Terribad Protein Source that only those interested in a battle of semantics for the sake of arguing would try to defend' as a title. It's way too long.

i stick to my original assertion …OP has enlightened nothing.

ETA - I have never seen anyone claim that peanut butter is their primary protein source….

Just because you aren't enlightened doesn't mean someone isn't. How would you prove that no one has read this and taken something away from it? Have you done an exit poll? Are you really telling me that here, in the land of 7 day water fasts, bulky thighs caused by mini trampolines, and people who believe they eat 1000 calories a day and still can't lose weight that it's impossible someone read this and learned something?

Hell, someone has literally said they started losing weight when they stopped considering PB a protein source. What further endorsement do you need that the OP has an audience and that it just isn't you?

OP never said people used peanut butter as their primary protein source so I'm not sure why you feel like that's a valid point in reference to what she's said. It is, however, often brought up in 'how do I get more protein threads' like it's a valid protein source and doesn't have less protein per calorie than say...celery

Everyone wants to play some stupid semantics game because they don't like the OP's title, even though the very first line in the post is 'It does have protein', or like titles to draw people in aren't the norm. I'm not down for trying to bash people over word games ("Oh look at this, she said NOT when she should have said CRAPPY, even tho you can't put crappy in thread titles") Frankly I'm not with it. PB is not a protein source. If we're gonna start calling it a protein source than we have to call everything a proteins source if it has even a scant amount of protein, and yet I doubt that's what people here are saying we should do.

again, show me the person that specially eats peanut butter as their primary protein source?

was there one person that came in this thread and said "oh my god, I have been eating protein as my primary protein source and never realized that it was not?" ….

I have not done an 'enlightenment poll', have you? If not, then how do you know that anyone has been enlightened by this drivel?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Nothing childish about pointing out someone's blatant foolishness in an attempt to appear "helpful", or while simultaneously pretending to be "smartly" condescending on the sly.
    You, unlike others ITT who did point out issues with my post, only stated an opinion. But I understand your need to jump in with out having anything useful to add to the discussion, my 4 year old does it all the time.

Ummm....all of it ?? :laugh:
    Look up fact vs opinion before you post again.:flowerforyou:

*looks up fact vs opinion on interweb*......yeah I'll stick with my previous answer thanks.

You really aren't doing yourself any favours by continually bumping this thread, it's creating a wider audience which will see the silliness of it all. I'd just leave it and put it down as a learning experience for any future enlightening posts you may contribute to this forum.....
    And now you have proven to be unable to distinguish the difference between those two terms. Your posts are now completely irrelevant. Thanks for playing.:wink:

My posts are irrelevant ? wow, that put a downer on my day :sad:

I think your posts are very relevant, personally. They help show the OP as level headed and willing to roll with the punches without getting angry or butthurt, which only serves to make her look better in the face of pointless semantic based opposition.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Um. It has protein and fat. It is in fact still a protein source. Cause, you know, it's got protein in it, and stuff.

hth.
    That can't be right. It has fiber. Therefore, it is a fiber source!
  • Achrya
    Options

umm you said that peanut butter is not a protein source, when in fact it does contain protein….so your whole title is wrong…

But you can't put 'Peanut butter is a Shet/Crap/Terribad Protein Source that only those interested in a battle of semantics for the sake of arguing would try to defend' as a title. It's way too long.

ETA - I have never seen anyone claim that peanut butter is their primary protein source….

Just because you aren't enlightened doesn't mean someone isn't. How would you prove that no one has read this and taken something away from it? Have you done an exit poll? Are you really telling me that here, in the land of 7 day water fasts, bulky thighs caused by mini trampolines, and people who believe they eat 1000 calories a day and still can't lose weight that it's impossible someone read this and learned something?

Hell, someone has literally said they started losing weight when they stopped considering PB a protein source. What further endorsement do you need that the OP has an audience and that it just isn't you?

OP never said people used peanut butter as their primary protein source so I'm not sure why you feel like that's a valid point in reference to what she's said. It is, however, often brought up in 'how do I get more protein threads' like it's a valid protein source and doesn't have less protein per calorie than say...celery

Everyone wants to play some stupid semantics game because they don't like the OP's title, even though the very first line in the post is 'It does have protein', or like titles to draw people in aren't the norm. I'm not down for trying to bash people over word games ("Oh look at this, she said NOT when she should have said CRAPPY, even tho you can't put crappy in thread titles") Frankly I'm not with it. PB is not a protein source. If we're gonna start calling it a protein source than we have to call everything a proteins source if it has even a scant amount of protein, and yet I doubt that's what people here are saying we should do.

again, show me the person that specially eats peanut butter as their primary protein source?
    OP never said people used peanut butter as their primary protein source so I'm not sure why you feel like that's a valid point in reference to what she's said.

Just so we're clear, your whole argument is 'people don't use it as their primary source of protein, something no one ever claimed they did, so saying it's not a protein source is wrong.'? I just wanna be sure I'm picking up what you're putting down.
    was there one person that came in this thread and said "oh my god, I have been eating protein as my primary protein source and never realized that it was not?" ….

I have not done an 'enlightenment poll', have you? If not, then how do you know that anyone has been enlightened by this drivel?

I'm not claiming that people have or haven't learned anything, merely saying it's possible, so I don't need an poll to back up the claims I'm not making. You however are making a claim and have nothing to back it up beyond your opinion that it's drivel.

You know making claims you can't back up is bad form.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Fat is a good thing. People don't get enough good fat in their diets. They usually just get too many calories period, and then blame it on eating fats. Fats don't make you fat. Excess calories make you fat. Fats are a great fuel source as well as supplying essential nutrients. Just avoid trans-fats.

The only thing really bad about peanut butter is that most are still high in trans-fat, as well as added sugar, salt, and other ingredients. Try the natural peanut butters that limit the ingredients to just peanuts and salt. I don't have any issues with salt, but I actually really prefer the taste of unsalted natural peanut butter. I didn't think I would, but I do.

Peanut butter is a good source of protein which is low cost and doesn't need to be refrigerated so it's really convenient. There are better sources like eggs, dairy, meats, but nuts in general are tops for temperature stability and portability.
  • ndj1979
    Options

OP never said people used peanut butter as their primary protein source so I'm not sure why you feel like that's a valid point in reference to what she's said.

Just so we're clear, your whole argument is 'people don't use it as their primary source of protein, something no one ever claimed they did, so saying it's not a protein source is wrong.'? I just wanna be sure I'm picking up what you're putting down.

I'm not claiming that people have or haven't learned anything, merely saying it's possible, so I don't need an poll to back up the claims I'm not making. You however are making a claim and have nothing to back it up beyond your opinion that it's drivel.

direct quote from OP on page five…. "I just think it is funny how people push peanut butter as a protein source when someone is having difficulty hitting protein macro. " < again, show me the people who push/use peanut butter as their primary protein source…
  • Achrya
    Options

It's ok people feel if they know something that must mean the world knows it. I know there are lurkers who see the hostility ITT and won't post, but like I said before if .000001% of the MFP populace got something from my post I succeeded in my objective.

This is a very pragmatic view and is one I subscribe to myself. I care little if the people who post appreciate what I have to say (since they usually don't and get mad about my 'tone' or 'word choice') but I like to think that if even one person reads my words ad walks away having picked something up all the forum back and forth was worth it.
  • Achrya
    Options

direct quote from OP on page five…. "I just think it is funny how people push peanut butter as a protein source when someone is having difficulty hitting protein macro. " < again, show me the people who push/use peanut butter as their primary protein source…

Show me where the OP said Primary source. Even in what you're quoting she says a source. You're trying to make the argument fit your needs by moving the goal post and I won't be moving for you.

OP said PB is not a protein source, but rather is a fat source. She said this because people push PB as a way for people to get their protein up, which is silly because if someone is so lacking in protein that they need suggestions on upping it something as calorie dense as PB isn't going to help (Yay, they spent their remaining calories for the day on 7 grams of protein. What an awesome suggestion!)

You want to add some standard of 'No one would use it as their primary source, thus this post is stupid' but that's a metric of 'usefulness' added by you.
  • txguard61
    txguard61 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I think there are still a big gang of people that thinks fat makes you fat. Fat is calorie dense so you need to watch it, but your body needs good fat like the kind found in nuts. I eat natural organic peanut butter not processed by high heat. Also a good anti-inflammatory oil.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options
    Thread that I read yesterday which prompted this post:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1267661-whats-your-favorite-protein?hl=Protein+#posts-19744294

Post from in thread:
    Chicken, peanut butter, and Rebuild Strength (I know you don't like powders, but I had to throw that in there anyway). I like chicken for lean meat, and that really helps me lean out more. I always grill my chicken. I like peanut butter because it makes a good snack when consumed with foods like celery or apples. These snacks help curb my hunger, and give me vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants at the same time. The Rebuild Strength post-workout shake is great because it has 24 grams per serving, and it helps my muscles recover after a workout, and also promotes muscle growth. I highly recommend that for anyone who works out. So, those are my favorite proteins. There really isn't a protein I don't like, but those are my favorites.

Peanut butter is the second source offered to someone looking for more protein in their diet. While I don't deny there is protein in it it is not what I would consider a go to #2 source.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love peanut butter. I consider my PB2 a good protein source and use it for the protein. I don't consider peanut butter a protein source and don't use it as one when planning.

Other things that people try to convince vegetarians are great sources of protein are quinoa and hummus.

(Quinoa is a good choice when making a grain selection because of the complete protein profile, but it's another one I wouldn't promote as an easy way to get more protein.)
  • Achrya
    Options
    I love peanut butter. I consider my PB2 a good protein source and use it for the protein. I don't consider peanut butter a protein source and don't use it as one when planning.

Other things that people try to convince vegetarians are great sources of protein are quinoa and hummus.

(Quinoa is a good choice when making a grain selection because of the complete protein profile, but it's another one I wouldn't promote as an easy way to get more protein.)

Yeah, what's up with Quinoa anyway? 14g for nearly 400 calories? Like you said, great if you're looking for a grain because hey, incidental protein, but pushed as an actual source? Meh
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    *sigh* all this arguing about peanut butter.

Peanut butter contains fat and protein. It's delicious. Consume it in moderation unless you have an allergy.

That is all.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1267661-whats-your-favorite-protein?hl=Protein+#posts-19744294

Post from in thread:
    Chicken, peanut butter, and Rebuild Strength (I know you don't like powders, but I had to throw that in there anyway). I like chicken for lean meat, and that really helps me lean out more. I always grill my chicken. I like peanut butter because it makes a good snack when consumed with foods like celery or apples. These snacks help curb my hunger, and give me vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants at the same time. The Rebuild Strength post-workout shake is great because it has 24 grams per serving, and it helps my muscles recover after a workout, and also promotes muscle growth. I highly recommend that for anyone who works out. So, those are my favorite proteins. There really isn't a protein I don't like, but those are my favorites.

Peanut butter is the second source offered to someone looking for more protein in their diet. While I don't deny there is protein in it it is not what I would consider a go to #2 source.

Do you not think that how someone views a food might influence their perspective of that foods macro/micro?

I have high BP...so I focus on sodium and potassium. I drink 8oz of low sodium every morning...for the potassium that it delivers. I could care less about the other nutrients it furnishes. I view bananas in the same way...it is another potassium source. Potatoes...I have once or twice a week...for the same reason. Some will say that these foods are a carbs source...while that might be so...they are a potassium source for me since that is my focus.

Protein is the main focus of many people here on MFP...so it stands to reason that they would focus on foods that supply that protein...even if protein is not its highest macro.
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    USA is one of the few countries that count Peanut Butter as a protein source. Most countries count it as a Fat source. That means, when I eat Peanut Butter & Butter sammitches, I'm eating a double-fat whammy.

Mmm Mmm good!:love:
  • ndj1979
    Options

Post from in thread:

the poster listed it as a snack that can help curb hunger...not as a "#2 protein source' ...so this is what spawned your desire to enlighten us?
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Yeah, what's up with Quinoa anyway? 14g for nearly 400 calories? Like you said, great if you're looking for a grain because hey, incidental protein, but pushed as an actual source? Meh

I've been experimenting with quinoa. The benefit I see is it is gluten free. It can be used in baking so you get a complete protein baked good that is gluten free. Other than that, I don't see a huge benefit to guinoa. I like it but my husband so far has not liked anything I've made with it. It's a textural thing for him. I have quinoa flour to test which he likely won't have a problem with. Quinoa flour can be used as a replacement for wheat flour, again for a gluten free cooking. Quinoa is an approved Paleo food so is popular with those eating Paleo. However, I've bought three brands of organic quinoa and all the packages said there could be traces of wheat so I'm not sure how those eating Paleo are dealing with that issue.
  • RobsGirl_lds
    Options

Post from in thread:

the poster listed it as a snack that can help curb hunger...not as a "#2 protein source' ...so this is what spawned your desire to enlighten us?
    The op in that thread was looking for protein sources not anything that curbs hunger.

Yes this spawned my post because well it is being pushed as a goto protein source when it is a moderate source at best.

Edit to add bolded showed this poster thinks of it as a goto protein source.