Childish deletions

Options

Replies

• MrsATrotta
    MrsATrotta Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had friends on here that have deleted you for no reason?

Yes one girl who didn't agree with the amount of time I was putting in for one type of exercise lol...so she deleted me :laugh:

Hahaha that's the silliest thing ever!!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    The online "Friends" concept is an interesting one. It says a lot about how our idea of friendship has devolved.

Maybe it's a term started on Facebook? I don't know. I'm not on it.

In actuality, unless we decide to meet in person and develop an ongoing face to face relationship, none of us are friends. No matter how friendly our online interactions are. And I'm not dismissing friendly online interactions. I like them.

The bottom line is, if a gal finds a lump in her breast or if a guy wakes up and discovers gangrene on his balls, these online "friends" aren't coming over with chicken soup and a DVD. They won't be taking your call at 2 a.m. to walk you through the panic attacks.

We're words on a screen.

That's about it. And we can still have fun with it.

But friends? Support? <eyeroll>

Aren't you sweet? :flowerforyou:
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Has anyone had friends on here that have deleted you for no reason?

Do you mean because they just didn't give you a reason? There's plenty of reasons someone could feel like deleting another person. They don't interact with you that much, you post a lot on your wall and they're tired of constantly seeing things, they just don't want to be "friends" with you any more.

I go through my Facebook every few months and I periodically delete people that I don't interact with, I'm not really "friends" with or who I'm tired of seeing their constant crap showing up on my news feed (really, I don't care what color your kids poop/puke was and how many times they did that today). The people that I delete obviously don't know they're deleted because they've never come back to try and re-friend me or to ask me why. *shrugs*.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I've deleted people for minor reasons before, and I've been deleted as well. I normally don't even notice I've been deleted until I see another forum post by the person and then realize they're not on my FL anymore. There's only been a couple times I've been deleted that have left me wondering why, but I don't waste any sleep over it.

I accepted a FR from a guy one time, and then a few mins later decided I was tired of the profile pic I had up of my squatting. As soon as I changed it, he sent me a PM demanding to know why I had taken the pic down. DELETE!
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Why would you care if random people from the internet delete you?
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Oh...I'm sure they had their reasons! :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The online "Friends" concept is an interesting one. It says a lot about how our idea of friendship has devolved.

In actuality, unless we decide to meet in person and develop an ongoing face to face relationship, none of us are friends. No matter how friendly our online interactions are. And I'm not dismissing friendly online interactions. I like them.

The bottom line is, if a gal finds a lump in her breast or if a guy wakes up and discovers gangrene on his balls, these online "friends" aren't coming over with chicken soup and a DVD. They won't be taking your call at 2 a.m. to walk you through the panic attacks.

We're words on a screen.

Huh.

While I haven't brought over chicken soup and a DVD to anyone, I HAVE actually done the 2 a.m. phone calls for people I only knew online. I've been the go-to for more than one person going through a very difficult time and been happy to do it.

Most of the people I've "met" online live very far away and meeting in person isn't convenient or easy. I have met a few of them when one of us happened to be in the other's vicinity. I've introduced online friends to real life friends and they've become friends.

I have a couple friends in town who I met through here and I'm actually going to one's wedding next month. We exercise together, get together for girls' nights, do races together and they have become friends with my local circle, as well.

I'd say my definition of friendship has not devolved one little bit. It's actually expanded.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Probably but I also delete people. I wouldn't consider them "childish" reasons however. I will delete someone if I take time to comment and encourage but don't get support back from them and I will delete people who consistently eat less than 1200 calories and then post questions/complaints about why they aren't losing even though I've tried to help them with their problems.
    Are these reasons childish? I don't think so but thats just me.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    You know what I think is childish? Whining about being unfriended by a random Internet person. Few things about this site annoy me as much as all the hand-wringing over being deleted from someone's friends list. Even posting the names of people who delete you so that the rest of your friends can tell you how much better off you are without them reeks of middle school. Seriously, some of you need to get a life.

Besides, if the person was that good of a friend, then you ought to know how to contact them outside of this site, and you ought to have enough respect for them to try to resolve the matter privately and spare the rest of us your emotional breakdown.

Yes.
  • rml_16
    Options

We're words on a screen.

Huh.

While I haven't brought over chicken soup and a DVD to anyone, I HAVE actually done the 2 a.m. phone calls for people I only knew online. I've been the go-to for more than one person going through a very difficult time and been happy to do it.

Most of the people I've "met" online live very far away and meeting in person isn't convenient or easy. I have met a few of them when one of us happened to be in the other's vicinity. I've introduced online friends to real life friends and they've become friends.

I have a couple friends in town who I met through here and I'm actually going to one's wedding next month. We exercise together, get together for girls' nights, do races together and they have become friends with my local circle, as well.

I'd say my definition of friendship has not devolved one little bit. It's actually expanded.

Okay. If online friendship has expanded your actual circle I believe you. Yeah, I suppose this form of media could be maximized to produce nuts and bolts results such as real contact, real friendship - if the effort is expended.

But my hunch is this is less common than, say, just pressing the 'friendship' delete button without a second thought really. Which on its face is okay too when one considers that in an online interaction one can't gauge an impression based on basic body language, voice tone, voice inflection, volume of voice, actual appearance, ease of eye contact, enunciation, subtle demeanor, assessment of slovenliness or spiffy hygiene, etc. All of which are important indicators of who one would choose to actually be friends with. Or not.

Just sayin' :)
    How many of the people you interact with in person on a weekly basis are your close friends whose presence you would greatly miss if they suddenly disappeared?
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Might have but I don't really pay attention.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I would imagine so for any number of reasons:
    1) I didn't subscribe to/endorse their extreme form of "clean eating"/"diet" pill/shake/cleanse/radical calorie deficit
    2) They just needed to trim down their friend list
    3) I was misinterpreted
    4) I was NOT misinterpreted but they REALLY didn't like something I said
    5) The moon was full that night?

I don't expend a lot of energy trying to make sure that I maintain a big friend list, though.

If you like what I say here, fine.

If you're offended by what I say here, let me know. If it's something in retrospect I was in error on,spoke rashly or stated poorly, I'll man up and apologize. If it's a question of a genuine difference of opinion, I will nicely tell you that I'm sorry you were offended but I'm not walking it back.

Have a good day...
  • rml_16
    Options
    Close friends are different. I would only consider someone I meet with in person to be a close friend. If I have someone I consider a close friend, I would miss them terribly if they suddenly disappeared. And no, they aren't many.

Exactly my point. I'm not saying I'm super close to everyone I "meet" online, but the percentage of people from online who have become closee friends is about the same as the ones I meet in person all the time.

There are people I meet in person (not online first) who I end up being very close to and some who are friends for a little while and then disappear and others who I meet once and never interact with again.

Just like online ...

That said, there are people I have met online who have been my "friends" through places like this and then on FB who I have never met in person, but I've known them for almost a decade and definitely feel close to them in many ways. If they lived closer, we would meet in person no doubt.

So to say online friendships are superficial and real life ones aren't is silly. They're very, very similar.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Only two people that I noticed deleted me. One deleted me because I called out her low-carbing "I'm never going to eat sugar again" statements and she insulted someone on here I care about. I guess she didn't like what I had to say back.

The other deleted for reasons I don't know. I guess she had her reasons, and other people would probably benefit more from her friendship than I would.

I delete people for various reasons, but usually for being inactive or annoying.
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    Close friends are different. I would only consider someone I meet with in person to be a close friend. If I have someone I consider a close friend, I would miss them terribly if they suddenly disappeared. And no, they aren't many.

Exactly my point. I'm not saying I'm super close to everyone I "meet" online, but the percentage of people from online who have become closee friends is about the same as the ones I meet in person all the time.

There are people I meet in person (not online first) who I end up being very close to and some who are friends for a little while and then disappear and others who I meet once and never interact with again.

Just like online ...

That said, there are people I have met online who have been my "friends" through places like this and then on FB who I have never met in person, but I've known them for almost a decade and definitely feel close to them in many ways. If they lived closer, we would meet in person no doubt.

So to say online friendships are superficial and real life ones aren't is silly. They're very, very similar.

:flowerforyou: :heart:
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I delete people from my friends list who:

-Don't log in for 30 days
    -Talk about God.
    -Talk about their children
    -Spam me about weighty loss supplements.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    I'm still trying to figure out how someone gets deleted for "no reason." I mean even in the most silly example I can think of, the person doing it still has a reason.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    anigif_enhanced-buzz-1060-1392847659-21_zps34c3df36.gif
  • rml_16
    Options
    But other than close friends, anyone I have friendly interaction with I refer to as a friend.

In the interest of not appearing contradictory, I'd like to clarify that this sentence refers to a face to face relationship.

Here on this site, as I've said before, I consider every member my Fitness Pal. And I welcome the full range of expression as declared on my profile.

That's why I don't restrict the viewing of my posts, my diary or my profile to an exclusive Friend list.

Because as I see it, I'm just words on your screen and you're just words on mine. And it can be friendly and fun indeed and I'm glad I'm here and glad all of you are here :)

And I don't expect you to come over with Robitussin or a cuddly stuffed animal. Or to give me psycho therapy via email. So the pressure's off :)
    I don't think anyone starts out expecting things like that. But you interact and over time get to know people.

WAY back in 1993, in the very, very early days of the Prodigy bulletin boards, my parents got to know a group of people online and we all met up at Hershey Park and had a grand time. So I guess to me, it's pretty normal. I've met a lot of people from online in person and found that the people they were online is who they are in person and I like them just as much.

Not everyone I meet online is going to be a close friend. But neither is everyone I meet in person. Some will become lifelong friends. Some will fade away.

There are few people on my FL whose loss would hurt me, but there are several. Same with real life. I have friends I enjoy spending time with and talking to, but if they moved on with their lives and we lost touch, I'd survive. Others, I would be devastated.