Wife wants to go Gluten Free

Options
smc0170
smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
My wife just recently read "Wheat Belly" and wants to try going Gluten Free. I'll be as supportive as I can, but I don't necessarily want to go the same way. I've been eating fairly limited grains since I started trying to lose (aside from going on vacation last week =) ), but I've had some success with my diet. I guess "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was more of less curious if anyone else out there has a significant other or a family member who went gluten free, and how it affected you. Any tips to help them out, yet keep your own diet consistent?

Replies

• I_Will_End_You
    I_Will_End_You Posts: 4,397 Member
    Options
    This is grounds for divorce.
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    If your wife truly wants to go "gluten free" she is going to have to live her life as though she has celiacs. It's not a matter of just "no bread/wheat" etc. it's a matter of the hidden gluten in items. Carmel coloring for one. Also the way food is prepared in restaurants. She needs to make sure that the food is prepped differently from the other food at the restaurants. For example if she orders french fries are they fried in the same oil that they fry say breaded chicken in? If so then the breading contains gluten which can get on the fries. My sister has celiacs and it's a PITA for her to go out to eat for the most part. Not only that but she had to purchase separate cookware because she was getting sick from traces of gluten left in the pans that she used to cook meals for the rest of her family with.

I'm just saying that to go truly gluten free is a lot more than just taking out wheat and breads from ones diet.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    I went grain-free for about a year. I was really, really annoying. I vote that you put your foot down.
  • Desterknee
    Desterknee Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free due to inflammation issues. It has not affected my boyfriend's eating habits at all. We live together. He eats cookies and cakes and pizza. I don't, or I eat gluten free alternatives.

I don't understand the issue.
  • tinamariecleg
    tinamariecleg Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I also read Wheat Belly and tried that for a bit. My family eats different things than I do and I am ok with it. I say support her, what can you lose :)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I went grain-free for about a year. I was really, really annoying. I vote that you put your foot down.

yeah I have to -refeed- I get cranky on full time no grain.

I'd say let her do what she wants- and be willing to try different dishes if she makes them(I learned some great ways to substitute meals that I still use even though I am not "grain free").

Also be willing to cook you're own side dish if she is putting her foot down saying "I'm eating this way you have to too"

BF eats NOTHING like I do- so we try to have a common dish and then I have something for me- and he has something for him. Works pretty well for us.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    My husband has had to go gluten free and it is a real pain in the behind for him - I eat wheat but have to take care when preparing meals eg
    no using flour to thickening gravies/sauces
    checking stock cubes as they often contain gluten
    no ready made mustard/sauces/ketchup
    checking beers
    chocolate bars and candy - eg Mars bars - contain gluten

He buys gf bread which he likes and I bought some gf flour to bake with - makes nice cake.

I personally would not go gf free unless I had to
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    if she is going gf just because she read the book, then tell her she might rethink it. many gf replacements are less.healthy and have.more.additives and even more expensive

if.its for.medical.reason, then support her.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would try to convince her that it's excessive and unnecessary. It's faddish to say that gluten is the devil, unless you have an intolerance or allergy. There's no reason to restrict it. Can you appeal to logic/science with her? If my spouse was trying to do something faddish, I would try to show him how it's unnecessary.

If she's emotionally attached to the idea and logic won't bring her around, show her how your lifestyle is providing you with success. Work hard and your results will speak for themselves.

Chances are that she hasn't yet realized just how many things contain gluten and she'll give up on her own.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry.

I'm so, so sorry.
  • sam363
    sam363 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I am gf due to wheat allergy. My husband and kids are not - generally we eat gf dinners together because it's easy to cook 1 meal vs 2. My family is still able to eat gluten such as bread for sandwiches and does not have to worry about eating out or at other's homes. Be supportive and open to trying some alternatives but know that you can cook gf pretty easily with naturally gf foods by sticking to protein, veggies, anad a starch such as rice or potatoes. Try meal planning together and be concious of her goals when choosing to eat out. Good Luck!
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

This.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    :laugh:

I go as gluten-free as I can stand to (it reduces various symptoms); I tried totally gluten-free for a bit, and I honestly respect Celiacs for what they go through.

I avoid grains like they're plagues, the live-in bf eats bread every day. He'll eat toast (ohmygodifknlovetoast), I refrain. When he goes shopping he looks at labels for me and buys what I can eat but buys whatever gluten-y goodness for himself. When we have burgers or dogs he eats the buns I eat just the meats. As someone else already said, I don't see the issue.
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Honestly, I would try to convince her that it's excessive and unnecessary. It's faddish to say that gluten is the devil, unless you have an intolerance or allergy. There's no reason to restrict it. Can you appeal to logic/science with her? If my spouse was trying to do something faddish, I would try to show him how it's unnecessary.

If she's emotionally attached to the idea and logic won't bring her around, show her how your lifestyle is providing you with success. Work hard and your results will speak for themselves.

Chances are that she hasn't yet realized just how many things contain gluten and she'll give up on her own.
    The fad, actually, is to add gluten to every single thing we eat. Gluten itself is unnecessary, not the desire to avoid it. Having said that, I do agree that restricting gluten completely isn't necessary, even if you have a non-Celiac intolerance to it (as I do). I restrict my grains and use gluten-free alternatives when I can but I certainly don't fret over the idea that my ketchup might have gluten in it. If my symptoms are reduced by semi-restricting gluten, then your wife's possible wheat belly will also see a difference with a semi-restriction. If she goes full boar crazy about it, perhaps use Google scholar to research this wheat-belly idea and show her the science behind the idea. It'll likely settle the craziness.
  • treyss
    treyss Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I restricted my diet in January and most of February from bread, pasta, potatoes, rice, oil, and dairy. It was probably the toughest dietary thing I have ever done. I am hypoglycemic with the majority of my immediate family being diabetics and several with celiac. I thought I was going to have a rougher time with it and I wont lie, the first two weeks I though I was close to being homicidal but I found once all the crap was out of my system, I felt incredible. I slowly introduced items back into my diet and decided that I would stay gluten free and restrict starch as best as I could however my spouse still eats the same as he always did.

If your wife prepares the meals and is willing to make the choice for herself and respect that you do not wish to do the same, then there shouldn't be an issue, depending on how strict she is going to be on herself and not force you to do the same. I also read wheat-belly and IMO there is some things claimed that seem a bit exaggerated to me and there are other reviews that say the same but if she feels better then she should do it. I'm sure you can work something out together but I do hope she also respects that you may not want to change over your diet completely.

Good luck!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love the things like water and fruit that say "gluten free"

I do not understand these things.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

I won't support products with idiotic or "feel good" labels with crap like this...or if I do, I constantly ***ch about them on my feed...
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

I assume they mean there is no possibility of cross-contamination.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    your life is about to become a living hell OP ...I sense a lot of crankiness and complaining in your wife's future..
  • smc0170
    smc0170 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I do a lot of our cooking, so hopefully that will help...although I didn't know about things like ketchup and bouillon having gluten. That's good to know.

She's done alright with losing weight too (she's also on MFP), but for as hard as she's worked and how she's hit her calorie goals for several months, she's disappointed that she hasn't done better. I'm pretty shocked as well because I've seen it first hand. She wants to give this a go to see if maybe gluten intake has something to do with this, and honestly I hope that we settle on a low/limited gluten diet, but I'm willing to do it to help her.

The idea of gluten free dinners doesn't sound too bad. She can be on her own for breakfast/lunch at work and I can do my own thing. Lots of good discussion here.