When did it hit you that you weren't fat anymore?

Replies

• drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    I am 134 lbs currently and I still see myself as chubby. I think it's because I carry all the extra weight around my middle section and when I look in the mirror that's all I see. I am literally like half of a centimeter away from a thigh gap (which wasn't my intention) but my belly is still there. Breaking point for me will probably be the moment when I sit down and don't see the bulge sitting on my lap.
  • slerich
    slerich Posts: 14 Member
    I can honestly say I still struggle with taking compliments or seeing myself as thin as I am. I have been at this same weight for over 4 years in the last 7 years but still struggle. However, if you make a comment on how strong or determined I am to hit my goals I can take that compliment. Or even better tell me I can't believe you do triathlons or any other event I have done I will tell you it is more mind over body. You tell your body what to do and you will be greatly surprised with how far you really can go. Our bodies are machines and want to be used. I guess I see and know the work I have put into what I am now. I healthy, strong and determined woman. Maybe I still struggle because I don't want to be known as the thin girl but as the strong healthy one.

I know I have come a long way and 60+ lbs is something to be really proud of. I do see the thin girls things like, bones that I didn't realize I even had, single dight jeans and even better yet looking in a mirrow as your walking around the mall and go wow that's really me!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    I am still definitely in the Obese category at 5'4" and 260 pounds, but to remember that at my heaviest, I was between 335-350 (scales and I were not friends at that time), it is hard to believe I've lost around 80 pounds. My mental image of myself in my head is still somewhere in my early 20's, but every time I look in the mirror straight on, I'm glad to see my image. When I look at myself from the side, I feel like a beached whale because I still have the majority of my weight settled in my midsection, gut and butt. I know that I look leaps and bounds better than I did at my worst (there were jokes of where did my ex go, she must have eaten him...), but I am not who I want to be. I can't even identify with that me. I was so miserable and lost that truly, I can't find that mental place anymore, and for that, I'm incredibly thankful. Even the me that I was two years ago doesn't feel like me, either. It is like as of June 29, 2012, I was given a new lease on life and I'm not giving it back. A friend said a few days ago that one of her goals was to get thin enough that it was no longer politically correct for her to tell fat jokes... I sincerely thought, yes, this is awesome! My main goals are health, fitness, and quality of life, so I don't have a set goal per se, but I'm just ready to stop have people treat me differently. I don't want to have to shop at different stores...I don't want to _____. I just wanted to be me! I'm happy and sad all jumbled up reading this post - sad because so many of us will probably struggle the rest of our lives with these thoughts - and happy because at some point we may wake up and realized that WE were the ones to CHANGE our own lives!!
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    In the past few weeks, a few things have happened to make me feel this:

1. I was able to buy some size 10 pants off the rack at a thrift store (no changing room), and they fit when I tried them on at home!

2. I finally hit the point that everyone talks about where exercise gives you energy instead of feeling like a chore.

3. I hate to even say these words, but "thigh gap."

4. My boss noticed and has begun calling me "skinny mini." (She works out a lot and it's a big compliment coming from her!)
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Technically, I'm not obese anymore, and I now have a BMI of 29, as of last week, which technically means that I'm just overweight :)
  • RedheadQuine
    RedheadQuine Posts: 111 Member
    I am still at the "high end" of overweight on the BMI scale, and this topic is one I ponder regularly. I genuinely feel like the same person I used to be, physically. I look down and still see flabby big thighs, a big wobbly stomach, jiggly arms, etc. I wish I had actually taken photos of me sitting down, from my perspective, I think that would help. My before and after photos (which I have LOADS of) really help me to see the difference, but it still doesn't necessarily translate into the way I see myself. I automatically think that mirrors must be slightly warped if I look slim in them, that sort of thing. It's not a conscious thing, it's just after being so overweight for so long, it's like I can't actually believe I could look the way I do?

I hope by the time I get closer to my goal weight, and get fitter like I'm working on, I will "feel" as thin as I am. In fact I made an image that's relevant...

ITCA-1T-6-22-Mirror-web_zps7c7f3f28.jpg
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I am still fat/overweight (technically obese), HOWEVER, I am also half the size I used to be and I wear sizes 14 and 16. The changes hit me when I see my waist, neck and collarbones (I have those! Who knew?), or when one of my animals sits on my lap (I have that? Since when????). When I pull my jeans out of the dryer to fold, they just look so tiny (i.e. "Normal people sized").

That being said, I still avoid crowds, crowded areas and small spaces for fear of bumping into everything/everyone. I still mentally measure whether a chair will hold my weight, and I sit down as gingerly as possible while holding my breath in the hopes that it doesn't buckle under my weight. I lrecently left a regular, non-plus size store because I was so certain "they" would figure out I had no business attempting to shop there and nothing would fit anyway.

It takes time I suppose. It may take therapy. I guess I'll have a better clue when I get there.

I can completely relate!!

Do not feel sheepish about going to non-plus stores though! I wear a 14 right now and find that in some cases (like Victoria's Secret panties or Target misses tops) they have sizes bigger than I need, IN THE REGULAR SECTION. And I have a friend who was shopping in tons of non-plus stores at size 18/20 and finding cute clothes, she was just more bold than I was about that and would straight up ask the clerk "Do you have a jean that works on me?" (I would have sooner DIED and like you, still feel a bit nervous about this).

Honestly though I still don't know what's up with thinner ladies shopping at Lane Bryant. Like I said, I wear size 14 right now and sometimes a 12 and the stuff there is all huge on me and I still see women who have to be like a size 10 shopping in that store...why!? None of my business of course...but actually I wondered that when I was a size 22, and saw them in there. I get a $15 off $15 and go in and try on 5 shirts now to find the narrower cuts and it is a chore. Their 14 pants are way too big and a 14 anywhere else is great usually. I don't know if they are all shopping for bigger moms, daughters, or what!
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Did not read all the posts, but will when I get home but...

I still feel fat from time to time. I know logically that I am not, but it is taking me a long time to get over the mental hurdle of not feeling fat. I get that feeling less and less each day though and now I have more days than not that I look in the mirror and just go "damn, you did it!". Can't wait for that to be an every day thing.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Like many others.... I've been losing since January 2012 and I still am not there mentally or physically.

I still feel FAT, but I also know that I look and feel way better than I did when I weighed my heaviest!!! didn't help when I was laid off of my job I gained a little - UGH... well, this IS a lifestyle change - a marathon, not a sprint, I'm losing that weight & will get back to where I was and get to my goal weight at some point.
  • flabbybunker
    flabbybunker Posts: 57 Member
    Still very big, still very fat, but it hit me when a few size 18 shirts of mine started to fit a little losse. Before I started this, Even size 18 shirts were too tight on me now they are starting to fit loosly. Also I think having more energy and eating right made me feel happier :) . Finally size 17 1/2 is starting to feel loose on me as well ,. My size 44 pants are too big. hell my size 42's are getting too big. The clothes tell you the truth honey :) LOLOLOLOL
  • kk_140
    kk_140 Posts: 518 Member
    I'm down to 136 pounds at 5'4" And I still feel huge. I'm not sure that I'll ever feel thin in my head. I'm my head I'll always be larger than the other girls.
  • gracielynn1011
    gracielynn1011 Posts: 726 Member
    It comes and goes. Some days, I look in the mirror and think "oh that's me, fat as ever. Chubby thighs, flabby belly." Some days, I look in the mirror and think "holy cow! THAT'S me?!"

I am a size that I never thought I would see again, haven't been this size since I was 15 (of course vanity sizing could be a help with that!). In fact when I joined Mfp, my goal was initially set to 20 lb more than it is now. Reading the forum posts and seeing every ones success stories made me try harder. But in my head, most times, I still don't believe that I've quite made it this far.
  • UtahWI
    UtahWI Posts: 257 Member
    This has been a lovely post to read.
    I am feeling nostalgic, sad, and motivated all together.
    I remember that feeling. In 2009 I lost 45, was a size 2 to 4. The way I fit into chairs, looking at my jeans when I hung them to dry-so small! I remember "the" moment...I was in a department store and saw a woman across the way, and thought, "wow, she looks terrific!"

"She"...was me. I was left in tears.

I maintained for a couple of years, then started losing my mojo. Was tired all the time, unhappy, couldn't complete workouts. Turned out I was quite sick...hold onto your *kitten* and prepare for a year of us trying to kill you to cure you, type of sick. I lost weight during that time, but my body composition was destroyed. And when the dust settled, I started gaining...no ability to exercise and bad bad habits. It has been a year, I am doing better in the exercise department, my composition is better...my remaining guts are tolerating more of what I used to eat back then...starting to feel hopeful. Now, I had to have abdominal surgery *again*, FFS, and I know my chemistry is different, but things have been shaping up, so while I don't know if I can get back to *that* place...I feel like maybe I can get to somewhere I like better. Just move past this little setback.

Anyway. I have enjoyed reading your stories. They take me back to having been in that place. They remind me of what it *felt* like.
    Thank you.
  • die2fat4love
    die2fat4love Posts: 149 Member
    Still feel fat, i still see that 386 pound girl... maybe I need to go buy a new mirror...maybe mine is broken...Nope still a fat girl. But working on changing it every day!
  • kenthepainter
    kenthepainter Posts: 195 Member
    I still have 15 lbs to go but I do feel different but still overweight, I recently donated to bags of clothes that were to big, those were my "too small clothes" 4 months ago !
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    When my jean size became a consistent 6. Even with US vanity sizing, it's hard to call yourself fat in size 6's. Tubby, maybe, soft in the middle, but not really fat.
  • mccallp319
    mccallp319 Posts: 52 Member
    I haven't gotten to that point yet, but once I can see my abs, Ill say I'm not fat anymore. I'm hoping I'll be there by July since I'm going to California!!
  • Tiff050709
    Tiff050709 Posts: 497 Member
    I hope one day I won't feel fat anymore. I know that I still have a long way to go but it sure would feel nice to not feel so crappy about myself. I guess that comes with time.
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    I still don't see it even after 80 lbs. lost. Yes, I'm still in the heavy range, but you would think after 80 lbs....

And then I was in the gym the other day doing my thing on the elliptical. The opposite wall is solid mirrors and I avoid looking at it. And then I noticed this woman working out in the bright pink shirt. She looked like she belonged in the gym and was working her butt off. And then I realized it was me. It was a big victory because the gym is one of the places I have felt most uncomfortable about my size.

Just a few hours later I saw my fat self again. I think it comes and goes. Hopefully, there will be more times when I see myself as 'normal' and less of when I see myself as 'fat'.
  • 4leggidfriend
    4leggidfriend Posts: 1 Member
    I have the same problem.....I seem to forget how fat I am until I see a picture ( which literally makes my anxiety go through the roof). So, I try to avoid them at all cost. Mirrors.....literally won't look up when washing my hands in the restroom. I'm sick of this though. Particularly because I have twins I refuse to take pictures with. They asked me why I won't take pictures one day....I just said I take horrible pictures. I've got to loose the weight...for my sanity and to be a better roll model. Ps...love the dog!