Any Menopause weight loss success stories?

Options

Replies

• micktbaby
    micktbaby Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    There are many successful ways to weight loss. I am 59 and I think I have tried every diet known to man. The most important thing I finally learned is that it takes time to achieve change. By committing to permenant change in my diet, I have lost almost 25lbs. No quick fixes and no ideas that it is temporary change are what have worked for me. Exercise has been part of my life for 30 years, but exercise does not cancel out excessive calories. I feel great about my accomplishment and plan to be at my high school weight of 135 by my 60 birthday in August. I feel like the old pre menopause me again!
  • hupsii
    hupsii Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hi all fellow menopausal women,

I am right with you with the hot flashes and weight gain. My face is always red, so embarassing at work. What has helped me a bit is evening primrose oil (capsules). To lose weight, I should give up the chocolate but it's so hard - I could give up sugar in my tea and coffee at 16 and I gave up smoking at 30 but I don't know why I can't give up chocolate at 50 ....
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I have posted on this topic so many times it makes me nauseated. I've been fighting menopausal weight gain for two years. It just keeps coming.

Unlike many here, I have been in excellent shape my whole life. I started weight training at age 19, before it got to be mainstream for women to do it, and have never stopped. Over the years I've added running, yoga, Pilates, biking, kickboxing, boot camp...if it's fitness related, I've done it.

I was in the absolute best shape of my life at 48 when BAM. I had a period from hell that lasted two and a half months, nonstop. Horrible. The very next month I started to gain weight. Then more. Then more. The harder I fought it with cutting back calories and exercising more, the more weight I gained.

I've always been fit. Always been muscular and small. In the past two years I've gone from 110 (my usual weight) and a size 0 to 130 and a size 6. Fighting it every step of the way. There is NOTHING I haven't tried. And the sad thing is, my whole lifestyle was the healthiest it could be to begin with. Adding weights in the gym did nothing. I watched helplessly as my muscles disappeared and it "seemed" that cellulite and fat took their place.

I am now flabby, four inches bigger in the waist, three inches bigger in the bust, hips, and thighs, despite a clean diet and regular workouts.

I've been put on thyroid meds with no effect. I finally resorted to bioidentical hormone replacement a month ago. So far all I've noticed is sore breasts and even larger rear and thighs than I've ever had (never were my problem areas before).

So....yeah. Exercise and clean eating does NOT work for everyone in menopause. If you check out my profile, you'll see my "BEFORE" pictures. LOL

doglvr3 - you sound just like me! I have been going through the same thing - no matter what I do I cannot get the weight to stop coming on and to start losing. I can start feeling better and feel like I "starting" to make some progress - then nothing. I swear that my body starts going through a cycle and nothing will change what its doing until it gets through that cycle. I'm not giving up - I'm still logging, weighing and exercising like crazy and thinking that one day - bam it will start working!
  • BonnieKArmstrong
    Options
    Oh the JOY (NOT!!!) of menopause! I had a partial hysterectomy in December 1995 and then an emergency complete hysterectomy in February 2010. I have done very well without taking any hormones ( I think because I had already started menopause years ago). I had the severe hot flashes (those are weaning off now). What the worse thing that I am experiencing is the weight gain! UGH!! I was in an accident on August 24, 2013, I couldn't walk for weeks and my energy left, my stamina left and my metabolism went out the back door running! November 2013 we went on a cruise and I gained 5 pounds (I still could not walk very much). Well, I have gained a total of 15 pounds since August and NOTHING I do makes a difference! I think if I even totally quit eating I would still gain weight!
    Does anyone have any ideas about what to NOT eat during menopause? I try not to eat much carbs, I normally eat chicken or turkey (today's my birthday, I may eat a steak tonight!). I do LOVE sugary things! I made a homemade coconut cake for Easter and I have only eaten 2 pieces, I'm trying really hard to stay away from it! Ok...that's enough about me! Does anyone have any useful tips to help me? I do not want to take a product I need a real life change...! No Gimmicks!!
    Thank you in advance
  • DblChinz
    DblChinz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I keep walking although I haven't been very good with that the last couple of weeks due to work being nuts (I am retired but doing a long term occasional). I normally walk for an hour and half a day and longer on the weekends. I eat 1500 calories a day and I have been losing a half pound a week. I have been in menopause for a year plus. Not sure exactly when because I had a partial hysterectomy 2 years ago. My blood work showed I was in full menopause a year ago.

In terms of food, I have cut out juice and milk and I try to stay away from chocolate. Otherwise, I eat just about anything (we eat pretty healthily) and keep my portions down so that I stick with my 1500 cals per day. I don't eat my exercise calories back. I have 7 or 8 pounds to go to reach my goal weight and will have lost 55 pounds by then. In May, it will be 4 years that I started losing weight so the journey has been slow but I am getting there nevertheless.

I hope this helps.

you seemed to have found what works for you and it is! congrats to you!
  • DblChinz
    DblChinz Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Any Menopause weight loss success stories? How'd you do it?

Take a look at my recent post. I had a hysterectomy (I'm 34) and have two kids also. Had a complete hysterectomy in Oct 2013 and have had 4 other surgeries in the past 8 years for endometriosis. It's been a struggle, but I just completed the entire T25 3 month program and I'm down almost 20 pounds since Jan. It's hard, but if you eat right and work hard it can be done. Takes time, I'm still far from my goal.

Kudos to you!
  • servicedograiser
    servicedograiser Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    same here. Increased protein, decreased white carbs. taking estratest for hrt
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I'm not losing any, but at least I can maintain by eating 40% protein, 30 fat and 30 carbs, doing only HIIT cardio, lifting as heavy and often as I can, and (sorry!) not having any cake/pastries and other yummy sugary doughy stuff more than a small piece once a week....

I am taking DHEA as a supplement, but my eating habits was rather pathetic over the last two weeks, plus I have had a week of horrible PMS before finally starting my first period in more than three months today - so scale weight is up (which is usual around my period), but at least my hot flushes are mostly gone and I sleep 300% better.....
  • MelissaA007
    MelissaA007 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I came out the menopause at 39 - everything finished, and slowly but surely - consistantly put on weight, not because of the menopause- but because of what I ate. At 50 I got a wake up call about my weight, and started dieting Nov 12 and to date have lost 44 lbs.
    Perhaps it was a combination of what you ate and menopause...
    I love that you say it was what you ate. Same here. I had a Hysterectomy at 36. I was always fit..until the last two years of eating and drinking without thinking. I want to loose 35lbs. Go ladies above 40! We will do this!,
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    It turned out, that will very few if any symptoms, I went post-menopausal recently, at age 42. I started MFP in July, and stopped getting my period around Sept/Oct. I took a pregnancy test. Then I thought maybe it had to do with diet/exercise. In January, I learned from my doctor and a female hormone blood panel that I'm entirely post-menopausal. (This happened to my mom, also with no symptoms, when she was 36.)

Especially since I didn't even know I was dealing with menopause, I never noticed any impact on my weight loss. From July - January, I lost 45-50 pounds with nary a plateau. So don't let the IDEA that menopause will make this harder be the thing that, in fact, makes this harder.
  • pita7317
    pita7317 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Age 55. Have lost 33 lbs since age 50.
    Slowly but surely....
    Let's see, these things have worked for me:
    Drink more water.
    Portion control !!
    Food choices. Very seldom do I eat proccessed food or bread.
    Exercise. Just golf once a week.
    Could I have done this quicker ? Probably. But I am happy with what I have accomplished so far.
    Bottom line and most off all, you have to really want to lose !
    There has been times when I lose motivation, but it always comes back.
  • ShanMarie44
    Options
    I'm 44 and I've been in full out menopause for the last 5 years. I wear tank tops in the winter! It's a living hell. I used to weigh 125 pounds and am very active and I've put on 20 pounds in 5 years. I'm having a very difficult time taking the weight off despite the workouts and power walking every morning. I have zero wisdom on this issue and could use some help. I have tried everything under the sun. I would really like to drop just 10 pounds and get at least one good sleep this week! I'm a realtor and so I find it difficult to schedule meals because of constant running with clients. But... I'm here on MFP hoping I can pull some strength in numbers! I started making my lunches and eating them in the car between showings. Dinner is usually late so I'm trying to eat less at night and make some adjustments that way. I'll try the fewer carbs thing... hard to eat a salad while driving though! I take estrogen and progesterone... just started. crossing everything that it works.
  • karaharrison2012
    karaharrison2012 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I am 41 and had a full hysterectomy 3 years ago, I gained weight very fast after my surgery. My boss told me about MFP and I have since lost 55lbs. I am on Estradiol 2mg. I usually eat anywhere between 1200-1600 calories. Started out at 187lbs size 16. Now I am 132lbs. size 6 and look better than I did at age 18 and happier than I have been in my life. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 44 and I've been in full out menopause for the last 5 years. I wear tank tops in the winter! It's a living hell. I used to weigh 125 pounds and am very active and I've put on 20 pounds in 5 years. I'm having a very difficult time taking the weight off despite the workouts and power walking every morning. I have zero wisdom on this issue and could use some help. I have tried everything under the sun. I would really like to drop just 10 pounds and get at least one good sleep this week! I'm a realtor and so I find it difficult to schedule meals because of constant running with clients. But... I'm here on MFP hoping I can pull some strength in numbers! I started making my lunches and eating them in the car between showings. Dinner is usually late so I'm trying to eat less at night and make some adjustments that way. I'll try the fewer carbs thing... hard to eat a salad while driving though! I take estrogen and progesterone... just started. crossing everything that it works.
    If you aren't a member, consider joining us here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • deetee6718
    deetee6718 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Bump to save
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I had success post-menopause by cutting out most processed foods, keeping my carbs fairly low and walking everday. I've now added some strength training as well.

Good luck to you in your journey.

Like this... I have been post since I was 32 but I have found since I started this journey (I'm 56) I need to watch out for processed foods and keep my carbs low and WALK if I don't walk at least a mile everyday, I don't lose and can gain back...
  • hulamama808
    hulamama808 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    bumping for ideas and inspiration. :flowerforyou:
  • LAH076
    LAH076 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Bump to save.
  • luadams2
    luadams2 Posts: 122
    Options
    I'm 55. Had a total hysterectomy and emergency appendectomy back to back last year. Laid up for six months with no exercise and eating my depression away while reading propaganda on various websites saying my metabolism would be like molasses, no more good sex, no more energy, blah dee-pressing blah. I gained 25 lbs. and just wanted to jump off a cliff or something.

Instead, I got serious about losing the excess weight early last month and I have lost 11 lbs. so far. It can be done.

I try to get at least an hour of cardio daily. Sometimes life gets in the way - but I don't beat myself up if that happens. I also stay within that MFP calorie limit. Cardio workouts are walking, hopping on my bike for a long ride, zumba, or a gym workout. With a dab of yoga thrown in for flexibility.

I had a wine tasting weekend this past weekend and got no exercise and didn't eat right at all. It would be easy to give up right here and say "oh you blew it, crawl under a rock, go find that cliff". Instead, I'll say I had a weekend off and now vacation is over.

I've done my exercise for today, stayed within my calorie limit and I'm back in the game.

I feel great!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'm 55. Had a total hysterectomy and emergency appendectomy back to back last year. Laid up for six months with no exercise and eating my depression away while reading propaganda on various websites saying my metabolism would be like molasses, no more good sex, no more energy, blah dee-pressing blah. I gained 25 lbs. and just wanted to jump off a cliff or something.

Instead, I got serious about losing the excess weight early last month and I have lost 11 lbs. so far. It can be done.

I try to get at least an hour of cardio daily. Sometimes life gets in the way - but I don't beat myself up if that happens. I also stay within that MFP calorie limit. Cardio workouts are walking, hopping on my bike for a long ride, zumba, or a gym workout. With a dab of yoga thrown in for flexibility.

I had a wine tasting weekend this past weekend and got no exercise and didn't eat right at all. It would be easy to give up right here and say "oh you blew it, crawl under a rock, go find that cliff". Instead, I'll say I had a weekend off and now vacation is over.

I've done my exercise for today, stayed within my calorie limit and I'm back in the game.

I feel great!
    Wow. You're doing great! Had you had any peri-menopausal creep up on the scale, or was it all related to the surgery (surgeries!)?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!