Wife wants to go Gluten Free

Options

Replies

• cpdiminish
    Options
    I had to go gluten free and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't have to. And unless you have a decontaminated kitchen, you're not actually gluten free. That means separate toasters, no shared plastic or wooden utensils or non-stick pans, no shared colanders, separate cutting boards ... basically anything porous can be contaminated.

Gluten shows up in some odd places where you would least expect it. It isn't just a matter of whether or not an ingredient in the food contains gluten, but if the location where it was processed processes other foods that contain gluten because dust in the air or on a conveyor belt can cross contaminate food. And many drinks that "should" be gluten free actually are not because ingredients like malt are added just for color. That's why some foods that one would think would be gluten free are actually contaminated, such as most chocolate, candy, and nuts, teas, sodas, etc. And gluten free also means you can't eat out.

Heck, I can even tell when products sold as gluten free contain the trace amounts, fewer than the 20 parts per million that are allowed under the gluten-free label. Brands that use shared equipment are the worst for cross contamination while brands that only make gluten-free products and nothing else are generally safe.

If your wife is suffering from any sort of gluten intolerance (and there are types other than celiac), the worst thing she could do is go halfway and still consume small amounts of gluten. In many ways, a reaction to even minute amounts will be worse after going GF than when consuming gluten regularly, much stronger.

Even if she isn't intolerant, the other downside is that gluten is actually addictive so if a person is going off and on it, perhaps without even realizing it, they'll also be going in and out of having withdrawal symptoms.

I haven't read that book, but from what I know of it, much of it is talking about the problems that arise in a world of industrialized agriculture and food production. But those who are intolerant to gluten react to parts per million so having "modern" wheat that produces more gluten or that isn't ferment properly is meaningless. They are still going to react. And since that book came out, they've also studied gluten intolerance some more. Some people who do well on a gluten free diet may actually have issues digesting the fructans, and others may be reacting to the chemicals that are used to treat wheat after it is harvested. But the only thing we really know about those who are intolerant but don't have celiac is that we still have a lot to learn.

If she is suffering from some sort of health problems that she hopes to find some relief from by trying a GF diet, go get tested for celiac first and then, sure, see if a GF diet helps with symptoms. She could end up with a clinical diagnosis of gluten intolerance. But I hope for her sake she doesn't have either.

If she doesn't currently have any health problems that she thinks may be caused by gluten, she may be able to overcome some of the issues created by industrialized agriculture by buying organic products or baking her own bread using slower rising methods. But the fact that the food system is screwed up is not a reason to go gluten free as much as it would be a reason to source your food more carefully.

Another downside is that premade/processed gluten-free products are higher in calories than their gluten equivalents, and many taste awful.

But wheat, rye, and barley don't contain any essential nutrients that can't be found elsewhere, so from a nutritional standpoint, the only issue is losing any easy source of fiber, prebiotics, and vitamin E.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    My husband and I followed Sara Rose's detox diet (from her book "detox") for a few weeks. The idea was to cut out common food allergens and them add them back in (hubby was having some problems). We both really enjoyed the experience. We found new foods that we like and I really do think that we were eating too much refined flour, at the time. That said, it doesn't make sense to cut out all gluten permanently, unless you really have to. Hopefully, you can follow a short term gluten free diet and learn to incorporate more types of grain.
  • Blacklance36
    Blacklance36 Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Fad diet!

Unless you actually have celiac disease of course.

No way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    My husband and I followed Sara Rose's detox diet (from her book "detox") for a few weeks. The idea was to cut out common food allergens and them add them back in (hubby was having some problems). We both really enjoyed the experience. We found new foods that we like and I really do think that we were eating too much refined flour, at the time. That said, it doesn't make sense to cut out all gluten permanently, unless you really have to. Hopefully, you can follow a short term gluten free diet and learn to incorporate more types of grain.

did your kidney's stop working?

I woud also be curious what toxins this 'detox' got rid of that your body does not naturally get rid of on its own?
  • Jelaan
    Jelaan Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I went gf and felt a huge improvement in my ibs. I am off my meds for the first time in 20 years and I feel so much better. I do the cooking in our house so I cook gf for myself and non-gf for everyone else. More fresh fruit and veggies and non-packaged meals has been a bonus for all of us. I make my trail mix bars, bread and cookies at the weekend and freeze them for during the week. Yes it is more work but for me it is worth it.
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    My wife just recently read "Wheat Belly" and wants to try going Gluten Free. I'll be as supportive as I can, but I don't necessarily want to go the same way. I've been eating fairly limited grains since I started trying to lose (aside from going on vacation last week =) ), but I've had some success with my diet. I guess "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was more of less curious if anyone else out there has a significant other or a family member who went gluten free, and how it affected you. Any tips to help them out, yet keep your own diet consistent?

Unless your wife has a gluten allergy I don't understand why she would want to cut out gluten from her diet., just like the average person who does not have diabetes would not go on a diabetes diet.
    There is much more to avoiding gluten than not eating bread and grains and for anyone to do it without a pressing medical reason is beyond me.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    My wife just recently read "Wheat Belly" and wants to try going Gluten Free. I'll be as supportive as I can, but I don't necessarily want to go the same way. I've been eating fairly limited grains since I started trying to lose (aside from going on vacation last week =) ), but I've had some success with my diet. I guess "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I was more of less curious if anyone else out there has a significant other or a family member who went gluten free, and how it affected you. Any tips to help them out, yet keep your own diet consistent?

Unless your wife has a gluten allergy I don't understand why she would want to cut out gluten from her diet., just like the average person who does not have diabetes would not go on a diabetes diet.
    There is much more to avoiding gluten than not eating bread and grains and for anyone to do it without a pressing medical reason is beyond me.

"A wheat belly represents the accumulation of fat that results from years of consuming foods that trigger insulin, the hormone of fat storage. While some people store fat in their buttocks and thighs, most people collect ungainly fat around the middle. This "central" or "visceral" fat is unique: unlike fat in other body areas, it provokes inflammatory phenomena, distorts insulin responses, and issues abnormal metabolic signals to the rest of the body. In the unwitting wheat-bellied male, visceral fat also produces estrogen, creating "man breasts." The consequences of wheat consumption, however, are not just manifested on the body's surface; wheat can also reach deep down into virtually every organ of the body, from the intestines, liver, heart, and thyroid gland all the way up to the brain. In fact, there's hardly an organ that is not affected by wheat in some potentially damaging way."

^Just a short paragraph from "Wheat Belly." You might want to read it. Then maybe you'll understand why she wants to cut gluten out of her diet. :smile:
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    thanks for the exerpt but I wonder if the author has scientific studies to back this up. I eat lots of wheat based.products but I dont have wheat belly...and the lbs that I accumulated.did not come from wheat consumption but from empty.calories like ice cream and.soda.

"A wheat belly represents the accumulation of fat that results from years of consuming foods that trigger insulin, the hormone of fat storage. While some people store fat in their buttocks and thighs, most people collect ungainly fat around the middle. This "central" or "visceral" fat is unique: unlike fat in other body areas, it provokes inflammatory phenomena, distorts insulin responses, and issues abnormal metabolic signals to the rest of the body. In the unwitting wheat-bellied male, visceral fat also produces estrogen, creating "man breasts." The consequences of wheat consumption, however, are not just manifested on the body's surface; wheat can also reach deep down into virtually every organ of the body, from the intestines, liver, heart, and thyroid gland all the way up to the brain. In fact, there's hardly an organ that is not affected by wheat in some potentially damaging way."

^Just a short paragraph from "Wheat Belly." You might want to read it. Then maybe you'll understand why she wants to cut gluten out of her diet. :smile:
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options

did your kidney's stop working?

I woud also be curious what toxins this 'detox' got rid of that your body does not naturally get rid of on its own?

Nice flame baiting over the work "detox"... The idea of this "detox" is to eliminate foods that cause allergeries and then slowly add them back to identify what is causing the problems. Read more carefully.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    This is grounds for divorce.

Yep. Just break up
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Divorce her.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that people say that going gluten free is a fad...It's actually becoming a very real thing for MANY, MANY people.

It's not that it's bad-it's that it's in nearly everything you eat...it's like saying-here is the same thing to eat every day...your body needs a variety and it gets just a few things because of how industrialized our food-like-products have become.

My advice...your wife shouldn't be too hard on herself if she isn't doesn't have celiacs, isn't sensitive, or allergic to gluten. But cutting it down/out will not hurt your body and she probably will see benefits. It's just a matter of are those benefits worth the really hard work it takes to avoid A LOT of food.

It's not a fad if MANY, MANY people are doing it . . .
  • 32sami
    32sami Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I tried it, went a whole 2 days :/
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that people say that going gluten free is a fad...It's actually becoming a very real thing for MANY, MANY people.

It's not that it's bad-it's that it's in nearly everything you eat...it's like saying-here is the same thing to eat every day...your body needs a variety and it gets just a few things because of how industrialized our food-like-products have become.

My advice...your wife shouldn't be too hard on herself if she isn't doesn't have celiacs, isn't sensitive, or allergic to gluten. But cutting it down/out will not hurt your body and she probably will see benefits. It's just a matter of are those benefits worth the really hard work it takes to avoid A LOT of food.

It's not a fad if MANY, MANY people are doing it . . .

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:
  • dnamouse
    dnamouse Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    It's really not advisable to go completely gluten-free if it's not medically required. If your wife would like to cut back on the obvious gluten-containing items, then that's probably fine.

Gluten is in nearly everything. It's a pain in the backside to be completely gluten-free. My son is coeliac and my husband has a gluten intolerance. Our house is gluten-free to avoid cross-contamination. My daughter and I can have gluten, but we only have it when out.

For eg, we went on holidays with another family last week. They could order off a pizza menu without any issues. Our order went something like this - gluten-free, no cheese, no mushrooms, and are you triple sure the ham/meat is gluten-free? (dairy intolerance and allergy to mushrooms as well lol), and here's our credit card so you can take an arm, leg and kidney for good measure :sad:

On the last night they wanted to get Chinese takeaway. No go for us - most of the sauces etc contain gluten. I live in an area surrounded by the most fantastic Asian restaurants and we can't even go out to eat at any of them.

What I'm saying is that going completely gluten-free is not simply a matter of just cutting out bread/obvious grains. You need to learn to read ingredients lists inside out and some foods will become a complete no-go area. Gluten-free sucks and if your wife is determined to go that path, then she needs to research it really well.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

You can support her dietary change without necessarily eating everything gluten free. My guess is you would enjoy some gluten free foods anyway. I haven't read Wheat Belly and I don't eat gluten free as main dietary choice. One of our friends is strict gluten free so I make several gluten free foods that he can eat when visiting. I make gluten free muffins that are delicious! Do a Google for gluten free and you will find lots of delicious recipes to try. Pickles are gluten free as he can eat my home made dills. A lot of grocery stores have gluten free sections to make shopping easier for those eating gluten free. White flour can be substituted with gluten free flours (eg. coconut, almond, arrowroot, quinoa, peanut, chickpea, tapioca, black bean) so many baked goods can still be enjoyed with very little change in flavour. Health food stores carry a lot of gluten free foods and you can order them online. It will take a little effort to change to gluten free versions of processed foods you are used to but they are out there due to the demand. You can easily find gluten free pastas now so don't even have to give up pasta. A heavier emphasis on whole foods (eg. fruits, vegetables, meats, fish, poultry) will make it easier to eat gluten free as well. Good luck with your family's new dietary challenges.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

So basically this is an elimination diet similar to what any doctor would recommend when trying to narrow down food allergies? I suspect you will get a few negative comments on this. However, elimination diets have been the normal course of action by doctors when food allergies are suspected. I see no reason why someone cannot eliminate a suspected problem food from their diet to narrow down whether it is in fact causing a problem. I'm glad things worked well for you!
  • Platform_Heels
    Platform_Heels Posts: 388 Member
    Options

Gluten intolerance is becoming more and more prevalent in people and I find it funny that no one is wondering why. I personally think it's because the grain today is not the same as the grain that it was years ago. There is so much hybridization and genetic modification of the grain now that you can't even be sure what is in it.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free due to coeliacs but we have normal stuff in the house for the kids. Most the main meals we cook are gluten free but the rest of the meals we tend to eat what ever we like.

The only thing we have to watch for is the kids using my jams and spread etc and I have to have mine separate plus I cant use the toaster (would buy a separate one but don't tend to eat that much gfbread).

I would say let her do it but dont let it stop you from eating what you want too.
  • surfingmourir
    surfingmourir Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Our son was diagnosed with celiac and we had to suddenly become a gluten free household. The improvements to health were actually experienced by everyone. For instance, I haven't had an episode of IBS or a migraine, which were common, since the switch. No one is experiencing that mid afternoon crazy feeling of starvation and low blood sugar either. We all eat better as we are eating more whole foods in general, even though we ate really well before. As mentioned, eating out is a problem and pain, so you have to plan ahead a lot more. But we think it is worth it, even for the member who do not have celiac- it is a small price to pay to feel good. I think anyone who is wondering should try it for 30 days and see how they feel. It may make a tremondous difference like it did for us. Or it may not, and you can go back to how you normally eat. If you are trying it for weight loss, we have not noticed any significant change in any of our weight ( except our son is finally growing), but we also still eat a lot of high carb grains and grain products, like quinoa, brown rice, corn chips, scones and cookies (homeade).