Eating "Clean"

Options

Replies

• sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Avoid stuff that is already made. Frozen meals, meals in a box, processed snacks, etc as much as possible. I also avoid processed drinks as well (juice, teas, etc) because of all the added sugar. Try to eat as much whole foods as possible. Fruits, veggies, lean proteins. I know getting kids to like veggies is tough. Have you tried baking veggies in something? Like putting zucchini and spinach in your meatloaf? Putting veggies in your spaghetti sauce? Heck, even putting a little bit of cheese on it would be ok if it gets her eating the veggies.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Yeah, keep in mind:

Pranksters sat outside a farmer's market once and got a ton of people to sign a petition to ban DHMO.

What is Dihydrogen Monoxide?

Dihydrogen Monoxide (DHMO) is a colorless and odorless chemical compound, also referred to by some as Dihydrogen Oxide, Hydrogen Hydroxide, Hydronium Hydroxide, or simply Hydric acid. Its basis is the highly reactive hydroxyl radical, a species shown to mutate DNA, denature proteins, disrupt cell membranes, and chemically alter critical neurotransmitters. The atomic components of DHMO are found in a number of caustic, explosive and poisonous compounds such as Sulfuric Acid, Nitroglycerine and Ethyl Alcohol.

http://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

Dihydrogen Monoxide is *water*.

H2 (di-hydrogen (2 hydrogens)) O (mono-oxide (1 oxygen))

So, yeah.

Chill. Drink more Dihydrogen Monoxide. Work on finding ways to like fruits and veggies. Have fun cooking from scratch. Seriously. It's not all out to get you.
  • redtreediary
    Options
    Also, as for "do your own research?"

Your research is only as good as your primary sources. You can do *plenty* of "research" online that will lead you to believe that Jewish lizards live underground and control the United Nations.

There's this thing called "confirmation bias." We tend to believe what we *already think.*

So, you can probably find plenty of "chemicals are evil" sites on the net. You can find plenty of "natural is good" on the net.

Doesn't change the fundamental fact that Vitamin C has a chemical name (Ascorbic acid) and that hemlock, in it's purest, most unsullied form will still totally kill you.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I can barely pronounce most of the ingredients.

you should consider taking a remedial English class at your local communtiy college. that should help solve this problem. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

The fact that I feel terrific every day and fully expect to live well into my 90s, I attribute to eating clean.

The fact that I feel terrific every day and fully expect to live well into my 90s, I attribute to stress-free living from daily cannabis use.

lucky.
    Is it 420 yet?

I get off work at 3:30, home around 4. It usually works out about right...

Also this:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EBq8esOBGeE
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Your research is only as good as your primary sources. You can do *plenty* of "research" online that will lead you to believe that Jewish lizards live underground and control the United Nations.

There's this thing called "confirmation bias." We tend to believe what we *already think.*

So, you can probably find plenty of "chemicals are evil" sites on the net. You can find plenty of "natural is good" on the net.

Doesn't change the fundamental fact that Vitamin C has a chemical name (Ascorbic acid) and that hemlock, in it's purest, most unsullied form will still totally kill you.

This reminds me of a funny conversation I had with a friend that told me to read all the ingredients on my baby's food jar. It said, "bananas, water, citric acid." She questioned why citric acid was in there and that if I just ate a regular banana, I wouldn't get all those additives. I explained to her that it's basically lemon juice, and it's added to keep the yellow color of a banana. You wouldn't buy a jar of pureed banana if it was brown.
  • LVCeltGirl
    LVCeltGirl Posts: 473
    Options
    You've gotten so much good advice about the "Eating Clean" part of this that I'm not even going to comment.

However, very concerned about your daughter. Get her help about the fruits and veggies aversion. You could be doing her a great disservice. Not nutritionally (ie vitamins and minerals) although that is part of it. I like to think of fruits as nature's dessert (natural sugar as opposed to processed sugar) and veggies as a filler (I can fill up on veggies for little calories and little fat but lots of fiber and necessary carbs). I've noticed both adults and children (to include teens and tweens) that eat the wrong portions of the wrong stuff because they don't or won't eat veggies. So they try to fill up on say pizza because it has tomato sauce and that's a veggie right? And they don't get full, or they have to have 4 pieces to my 1 piece because they don't touch the salad that goes with it. That to me are bad habits that can turn into obesity and lead to a lot of health risks. Perhaps she'll be lucky and not have it affect her until later in life but then she really doesn't have the tools to cope with it when it catches up to her.

Once the source of the aversion is found, then get her to help with dinner. Make it a point that there are always veggies with dinner. I'm blessed with a son that loves broccoli, cauliflower, green beans and probably brussel sprouts if I'd fix them for him. But I do see my friend's step-daughters who have to be tricked into eating veggies, like the cauliflower "mashed potatoes". And until they discovered that most of the "mashed potatoes" was cauliflower, they were eating it up and loving it. So you might have to find a way to trick your daughter. The wonderful thing is that there are a lot of recipes for "hidden" veggies that can be researched and gotten off the internet.

You can do this and discover what is right for you and your family!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've just realized or more like caring what exactly is in the food I eat. I can barely pronounce most of the ingredients. I want to eat clean, I really really do. I just don't know where to start.. I have a 12 year old with my same food habits and well she's even worse than I am.. she has an aversion to fruits and veggies - so much so it's almost a phobia. When I go to the grocery store I feel like everything is bad. The meat is bad because of what is fed to the animals, the dairy, the eggs, and the vegetables and fruit with all the pesticides and fertilizer... are strawberries really suppose to be that big??... I feel like I'm going crazy. I want to eat clean, but I don't know how...

The very best first step you can take is learning how to cook from single ingredients. Organic, grass fed, antibiotic free, etc. is all well and good if you have a lot of money to spend, but you would be surprised how much difference you'll see and feel just by cooking your own meals from the cheapest of ingredients. Just use raw or frozen ingredients that don't have additives.
  • ChristineMiller2
    Options
    Hello :)

Sounds like you are pretty stressed out over this, I've been there.

I got some really easy advice to follow and this is what I do.

My friend said eat "Close to the hoof, and close to the plant" Meaning stay away from processed foods. Eat meat but avoid deep fried or processed deli etc. Eat leafy greens, fruits and veggies and not in a fruit cup but fresh, raw and "clean" . And drink tons of water.

I have great success in dropping weight when I clean up what I'm eating in this manner. Avoid all juices, pop, alcohol.

And when I slip up, guess what I tell myself..... "Its not what you do some of the time that matters most, its what you do MOST of the time" :)

Good luck hun~
  • EllieB_5
    EllieB_5 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I've never consciously thought of "eating clean" but I do avoid as much of the processed, pre-packaged stuff as I can. I've almost become phobic of the unnecessary chemicals they add. I love using Corn Pops and Gorilla Munch as an example. Corn Pops has a huge list of ingredients while Gorilla Munch has three (corn, salt, cane sugar). Gorilla Munch tastes the same, maybe better, and has the same shelf life. I digress...

I'm not a huge fan of veg but I do love my broccoli. As boring as it can be, I stick to what I love. My diet is restrictive on fruit, but again for the amount of fruit I can eat I stick to what I love. The bf and I have experimented with stuff like plantain, avocado, or dragon fruit by buying only one and seeing if we like it. That's a good place to start.
    I like to think of fruits as nature's dessert (natural sugar as opposed to processed sugar)
    Agreed. Nothing like a dripping slice of fresh, sweet pineapple to finish off your day :heart:

This is why I encourage people to use Google scholar. Read the actual scientific studies behind food and dieting instead of people's personal opinions. Yes you will get conflicting studies, but I find the double-blind studies into any one topic are often in agreement vs the blind or not blind studies which are easily skewed by the participants' personal ideas or agendas. Researching isn't about asking other people for their opinions, researching is about reading science or doing your own science. Research is about education not having a conversation. Real research is what led me to the diet I'm currently on when prior to reading the studies I was against what I'm doing. Getting people's personal opinions and advice on how to do the diet properly is merely doing the polishing that the studies don't do, but I take advice with the science in mind. The double-blind studies dealing with processed, pre-packaged foods are also pretty much in agreement. It's unfortunate people stop educating themselves once school lets out :brokenheart: Or perhaps their schools didn't teach proper research skills :brokenheart: :brokenheart:
    The fact that I feel terrific every day and fully expect to live well into my 90s, I attribute to eating clean.

The fact that I feel terrific every day and fully expect to live well into my 90s, I attribute to stress-free living from daily cannabis use.

lucky.
    Is it 420 yet?
    It's 420 somewhere :tongue:
  • hellodmo
    hellodmo Posts: 23
    Options
    I started by reading Michael Pollan's "In Defense of Food". Excellent book.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - I really needed to hear all of that. :) I am going to take one step and one day at a time. :happy: :happy:

Think about it this way, if all those "scary chemicals" really were bad, we'd all be dead. You've eaten them your whole life, so have I and everyone else you know. We're fine. So there's nothing to worry about.

Ignore the fear mongering. They're just trying to sell you stuff.

It is not true that all chemicals in food today have been eaten for our entire lives. New synthetic pesticides, fertilizers and food additives are approved every year. And to label it all fear mongering just because "we're fine' is just silly. It's like the smoker that has not yet contracted cancer declaring the warning on cigarettes "fear mongering" because, hey, he's fine. For now.

I'm not suggesting anyone needs to eat "clean" to be fine. Just pointing out how illogical the reasoning in that post is.
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I've never consciously thought of "eating clean" but I do avoid as much of the processed, pre-packaged stuff as I can. I've almost become phobic of the unnecessary chemicals they add. I love using Corn Pops and Gorilla Munch as an example. Corn Pops has a huge list of ingredients while Gorilla Munch has three (corn, salt, cane sugar). Gorilla Munch tastes the same, maybe better, and has the same shelf life. I digress...

I'm not a huge fan of veg but I do love my broccoli. As boring as it can be, I stick to what I love. My diet is restrictive on fruit, but again for the amount of fruit I can eat I stick to what I love. The bf and I have experimented with stuff like plantain, avocado, or dragon fruit by buying only one and seeing if we like it. That's a good place to start.
    I like to think of fruits as nature's dessert (natural sugar as opposed to processed sugar)
    Agreed. Nothing like a dripping slice of fresh, sweet pineapple to finish off your day :heart:

This is why I encourage people to use Google scholar. Read the actual scientific studies behind food and dieting instead of people's personal opinions. Yes you will get conflicting studies, but I find the double-blind studies into any one topic are often in agreement vs the blind or not blind studies which are easily skewed by the participants' personal ideas or agendas. Researching isn't about asking other people for their opinions, researching is about reading science or doing your own science. Research is about education not having a conversation. Real research is what led me to the diet I'm currently on when prior to reading the studies I was against what I'm doing. Getting people's personal opinions and advice on how to do the diet properly is merely doing the polishing that the studies don't do, but I take advice with the science in mind. The double-blind studies dealing with processed, pre-packaged foods are also pretty much in agreement. It's unfortunate people stop educating themselves once school lets out :brokenheart: Or perhaps their schools didn't teach proper research skills :brokenheart: :brokenheart:

lucky.
    Is it 420 yet?
    It's 420 somewhere :tongue:

It is in the East.
  • redtreediary
    Options
    ^Who let Miss Rational in?

I like her!

I snuck in the back.
  • amberburke1982
    amberburke1982 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thank you all - I really needed to hear all of that. :) I am going to take one step and one day at a time. :happy: :happy:

Think about it this way, if all those "scary chemicals" really were bad, we'd all be dead. You've eaten them your whole life, so have I and everyone else you know. We're fine. So there's nothing to worry about.

Ignore the fear mongering. They're just trying to sell you stuff.

Can you explain why all illnesses have quadrupled in the last 40 years? And new, unexplained illnesses? I'm not saying that all food is bad or that clean eating is "the way," but to say we have all been eating "scary chemicals" and we are all fine is completely ignoring the obvious.

^^^this !!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

This reminds me of a funny conversation I had with a friend that told me to read all the ingredients on my baby's food jar. It said, "bananas, water, citric acid." She questioned why citric acid was in there and that if I just ate a regular banana, I wouldn't get all those additives. I explained to her that it's basically lemon juice, and it's added to keep the yellow color of a banana. You wouldn't buy a jar of pureed banana if it was brown.
    You feed your baby citric acid??? How could you? HOW COULD YOU????
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter. So that is produce, meat/dairy. Stay out of the aisles with packaged treats...cookies, candies, snack crackers.

You'll be eating "cleaner" than about 80% of all Americans who equate the naturally occurring nutrients and phytochemicals in blueberries with a highly processed food which has zero nutritive value.

There is a cleaning eating group here on MFP where you'll find more of us!

For my own part, I'm 50, 21.5 BMI, just did a competitive stairclimb where I did 54 flight in 12 and a half minutes.

My weight I attribute to a calorie deficit.

right, so everyone who does not eat "clean" by your definition (whatever that is) is a "dirty" eater that is not going to live a long life....?

lol...wowz..

I wish everyone a long and healthy life. My definition of "clean" is in my advice to the OP in the first line. I'd invite you to the Clean Eating Group here on MFP if you have any additional questions.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options
    Shop the perimeter. So that is produce, meat/dairy. Stay out of the aisles with packaged treats...cookies, candies, snack crackers.

You'll be eating "cleaner" than about 80% of all Americans who equate the naturally occurring nutrients and phytochemicals in blueberries with a highly processed food which has zero nutritive value.

There is a cleaning eating group here on MFP where you'll find more of us!

For my own part, I'm 50, 21.5 BMI, just did a competitive stairclimb where I did 54 flight in 12 and a half minutes.

My weight I attribute to a calorie deficit.

Yeah, cause apparently "clean eating" is also competitive.

Who knew?!

I'm responding to the OP's request for guidance on "clean eating." Should you have additional questions, I've cordially invite you to join the Clean Eating Group here on MFP.
  • Bernadette60614
    Options

My grandmother lived to almost 98 and was on her own until the last two years. She ate whatever. I mean, she ate overall healthy, but she ate cookies and store-bought bread and jarred pasta sauce, etc.

My grandfather was an obese smoker most of his life and lived to 89.

And I've watched people with perfect, healthy lifestyles get sick and die in their 20s and 30s.

Good luck.

Thank you. I appreciate your good wishes and wish you the same.