• BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    This is grounds for divorce.

giphy.gif
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Whyyyy do people do gluten free if they don't have to? It bothers me that it has turned into a fad diet, but there are people who really need to go gluten free for medical reasons. If she doesn't have celiac then why do it? Gluten is not harmful and is not making her gain weight or preventing her from losing weight. Going gluten free is not better for your heath. Making it a fad diet will only drive up the cost and make the diet too expensive to maintain for some of those people that really need it.

Actually the demand for gluten free foods has increased availability and decreased the price.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Whyyyy do people do gluten free if they don't have to? It bothers me that it has turned into a fad diet, but there are people who really need to go gluten free for medical reasons. If she doesn't have celiac then why do it? Gluten is not harmful and is not making her gain weight or preventing her from losing weight. Going gluten free is not better for your heath. Making it a fad diet will only drive up the cost and make the diet too expensive to maintain for some of those people that really need it.

Actually the demand for gluten free foods has increased availability and decreased the price.

It's pointless and expensive, but less expensive than it once was. That's helpful . . .
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    The biggest impact for going gluten-free is your wallet gets significantly thinner and you meals get significantly less palatable.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options

It's pointless and expensive, but less expensive than it once was. That's helpful . . .

But most "gluten free" labeled products are not 100% gluten free...meaning they are still to be avoided by Celiacs.
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    How about a science-based diet?

Wheat belly is just a repackaged Atkins diet. I can't wait for this fad to end.
  • Joanne_happygramma
    Joanne_happygramma Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry.

I'm so, so sorry.

So true
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that people say that going gluten free is a fad...It's actually becoming a very real thing for MANY, MANY people.

It's not that it's bad-it's that it's in nearly everything you eat...it's like saying-here is the same thing to eat every day...your body needs a variety and it gets just a few things because of how industrialized our food-like-products have become.

My advice...your wife shouldn't be too hard on herself if she isn't doesn't have celiacs, isn't sensitive, or allergic to gluten. But cutting it down/out will not hurt your body and she probably will see benefits. It's just a matter of are those benefits worth the really hard work it takes to avoid A LOT of food.

It's not a fad if MANY, MANY people are doing it . . .

By many, many I meant many people are finding themselves intolerant to it.
  • chloematilds
    Options
    How about a science-based diet?

Wheat belly is just a repackaged Atkins diet. I can't wait for this fad to end.

No "cool label" to attach to science-based diet.

Caloric-deficit diet does not sound cool! LOL.
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think it's funny that people say that going gluten free is a fad...It's actually becoming a very real thing for MANY, MANY people.

Gluten intolerance is becoming more and more prevalent in people and I find it funny that no one is wondering why. I personally think it's because the grain today is not the same as the grain that it was years ago. There is so much hybridization and genetic modification of the grain now that you can't even be sure what is in it.

This. And then look at what wheat is...a seed...what's a seed's purpose? To survive through the gestational tract of creatures so that it can be pooped out, grow, and carry out the survival of that species...if it's hard to digest how can it be good for your body?
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    I love the things like water and fruit that say "gluten free"

I do not understand these things.

Seriously....WTF.
  • apriljackss
    apriljackss Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I am gluten and dairy free, so imagine how happy that makes my fiance ;). In all seriousness though, he loves the meals that I cook at home, all of which are gluten and dairy free. He knows good and well if he wants something different, he's welcome to have it, for instance, if he wants to heat up a roll with his dinner, or eat a sandwich while I eat a salad, etc. I think it sounds more daunting than it really is. I am a self admittedly huge pain in the a** to go out to eat with so typically we stick with the same few places. However, if he wants to get take out from somewhere I can't eat at, he just does. It hasn't been an issue. Your role is to be supportive of your wife's choices, but that doesn't mean you have to sacrifice your own sanity! She should also be supportive of your decision, give and take.
  • chloematilds
    Options

Seriously....WTF.

I even saw a tofu labeled as "gluten free" in Albertsons in their "organix section". I think some people equate gluten free to "organic"
  • ValGogo
    Options

Gluten intolerance is becoming more and more prevalent in people and I find it funny that no one is wondering why. I personally think it's because the grain today is not the same as the grain that it was years ago. There is so much hybridization and genetic modification of the grain now that you can't even be sure what is in it.

This. And then look at what wheat is...a seed...what's a seed's purpose? To survive through the gestational tract of creatures so that it can be pooped out, grow, and carry out the survival of that species...if it's hard to digest how can it be good for your body?

I say fad too. Lets look at another angle. we have become such an antibiotic, hand-cleanser, flu-shot-getting, mask wearing society that (and I could be wrong) I don't think we build up immunities like we used to.

We can't really control what gets mass produced but we can get a little more educated on our own instead of villifying everything or jumping on every bandwagon.

YES, there are people with Celiac disease and peanut allergies...I'm not talking about them. I'm talking about the people who turn vegan because their friends are or wear red strings on their wrists because now they are now kabbalists (where are they now, Madonna?!); I'm talking about those people who don't think for themselves. Or do soemthing and think that their SO HAS to do it with them.

ON a different note, I give credit to people who can say they are doing something like eliminating gluten and stick to it (honestly, I've wondered for years about gluten and if that's why I have some skin issues). So on that note, if you are one of those, kudos for having the will and stamina.
  • Sallyrose5994
    Options
    She's had some fairly consistent constipation/IBS issues/headaches over the years, however not on a daily basis...so that leads me to think she doesn't have celiac's per se, but could be slightly intolerant. She works closely with a doctor who also specializes in nutrition, and recommended this as a trial to see if that could possibly be the cause of the IBS/turtle slow weight loss. So she didn't go to a doctor specifically for this, but has had these discussions. This doctor was the one who recommended wheat belly, as he has been GF for around 5 years now through finding his own intolerances to gluten.

She doesn't want to get into the specific and expensive GF foods, for the reasons mentioned here such as cost, and added calories amongst other things. Mostly at home we stick to meats, vegetables and fruits with some simple carbs like potatoes, brown rice or sweet potatoes, and we've done away with almost all processed package foods (we have a few for our young son).

I'm glad some other people on here are supporting their families who have actual celiac's, however the concept of cross contamination sounds daunting to say the least.

I have been "gluten free" for the past 10+ years due to a sensitivity and not celiacs and I do what you said above and stick to eating meats, vegetables, fruits, and rice. I also think that you can easily get good brown rice noodles these days and so you can still do lots of great pasta dishes. Occassionally I have an expensive GF treat or use almond flour or rice flour to thicken things or make a pancake or something. I actually think that I eat more "tasty" food than before because I was "picky" growing up and basically ate junk food all the time, and now I eat all kinds of different foods and love vegetables and my eating habits have done a 360.

It sounds like your diet is pretty low on gluten already so it probably won't affect you too much. My husband and kids still eat gluten and it is not a big deal for me. I think the foods I eat are super tasty and being gluten free has opened up my eyes to many new and interesting foods. I am not sure why people get "offended" when people are gluten free. I mean, its up to each person to eat what they want and makes them feel the best. I think your wife should give it a try and I hope it helps her stomach issues and speeds up her weight loss. I would be supportive because she is trying to do her best to be healthy and happy. Good luck to you both!
  • ValGogo
    Options

Seriously....WTF.

I even saw a tofu labeled as "gluten free" in Albertsons in their "organix section". I think some people equate gluten free to "organic"

haha
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I'm gluten free due to celiac and my husband isn't . At home we mostly eat things that are naturally gluten free. Typical dinners are grilled or baked meat or fish with a veggie and a side such a baked/mashed potatoes or rice, tacos with corn tortillas, beef stew, chili, various casseroles, some Indian or Thai dishes, etc. Stuff that wouldn't really jump out at a dinner guest as being gluten free. The only special products I typically buy are a baking mix for Sunday waffles and gluten free bread. Outside of the house my husband eats whatever he wants and if he wants regular bread I buy it for him. However because I'm on the diet for medical reasons we can't share the toaster and we have to be very careful about not sticking knifes back into the condiment jars after they've touched his bread. So with a little care it's totally not a big deal for us.

One thing I must say is if your wife goes out to eat and asks for a gluten free meal please make sure she follows through with the entire meal as if she were celiac. If her salad has a crouton, she needs to send it back and tell them she can't tolerate even a crumb and to remake it. So many people on the diet for non-medical issues order from the gluten free menu and then eat from the bread basket or add on a beer or a dessert as a "treat". Wait staff have a hard enough time grasping the importance of the diet without fad dieters making it look like it's really not a serious threat. Not trying to be hateful but it's really frustrating to people whose health depends on the diet being taken seriously.
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Haven't read the thread but I assume someone has already said "Just break up."
  • chloematilds
    Options
    Did not lady gaga "Balloon up" when she said she went "gluten free"?

I think some people have no clue what the heck gluten really is (hint: kind of protein!) and think that it is what is causing the "obesity crisis".
  • cpdiminish
    Options
    I see a couple of misunderstandings being spread in this thread.

If you are eating primarily foods that don't contain gluten in the first place (meats, vegetables, fruits, and there are plenty of grains that are naturally GF) you wouldn't see any difference in the cost of your food. But if going gluten free also meant switching from processed crud to real food, then sure, you could see a jump in your grocery bills. I don't recommend the premade gluten free products that do cost more than their gluten equivalents at all. They are higher in calories and half of them taste awful. What you are paying for is convenience.

Again, I haven't read the book, and probably never will because I agree that some of what it is preaching is just hypothesis, but that doesn't mean that there aren't problems with our current wheat production. Just in the past 50-60 years, plants that produce way more gluten than their predecessors have become the only types available. The way bread is made has cut out a lot of the fermentation process that previously added valuable nutrients in favor of speed and profitability, and you have the issue of chemical toxicity.

Today, 50% of the wheat tested is found to contain one neurotoxin and 20% another. That is chemicals that are known to have negative affects how our brains function! And they kill bees which we need to survive.

There are 14 other pesticide residues commonly found on wheat. And that is just the pesticides. That doesn't include the chemical fertilizers, the herbicides, nor the fungicides applied to wheat after it is harvested. Today's wheat is a toxic stew compared to what our great grandparents were eating when they were growing up. Buying organic does help reduce this problem considerably, not to mention that it keeps all of those chemicals out of the water and earth as well.

It is very likely plenty of people who respond well to a gluten free diet do so simply because it could be reducing the amount of toxins that they are exposed to.

But celiac and gluten intolerance are very poorly understood by many doctors and false negatives are common in testing. Not only are too few who actually have celiac even diagnosed, even fewer who have gluten intolerance are. While guestimates are that something like 3-5% of the population in the U.S. have celiac, some of what I have read projects the percentage who suffer from any sort of gluten issue could be as high as 30%. And in my experience, doctors are so clueless about the symptoms of gluten intolerance and celiac that such a huge discrepancy in diagnosis could actually be happening.