Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Ok, recap for the late comers. MFP seems to be fractured into a couple of main groups - the healthy eaters and the eat whatever you want eaters. Within those two groups there are a variety of sub-groups. For the most part, there are preachers on both sides who like to bash. They resort to name calling, food shaming, sarcasm and generally aren't very nice simply because the clean eaters choose to lose weight and/or get fit in a manner which they deem as being extreme. Secretly, they hold the clean eaters in high regard so their inner conflict leads to outwardly belittling the clean eaters. The trigger for the eat whatever you want group is "clean". If that word is used in any way, shape or form, OR implied, OR used as flame bait, the eat whatever you want group is in for the kill. Some of the clean eaters are a tad fed up with the bashing EVEN though we personally have never preached clean eating, told others that was the way they had to eat or it was the only way to eat. That's what this thread is all about. Oh, and so far nothing much in the way of gifs but I'm sure they are just around the corner. Cheers!
    Of course they don't. They just say that people who DON'T eat clean will die of cancer or some other mystery illness, or they will preach about their "health" superiority when they either have no avi, an unimpressive avi, less than stellar ticker, or closed diary.

Or that they would not feed certain junk foods to their (insert pet species here)...
  • J72FIT
    Options
    Ok, recap for the late comers. MFP seems to be fractured into a couple of main groups - the healthy eaters and the eat whatever you want eaters. Within those two groups there are a variety of sub-groups. For the most part, there are preachers on both sides who like to bash. They resort to name calling, food shaming, sarcasm and generally aren't very nice simply because the clean eaters choose to lose weight and/or get fit in a manner which they deem as being extreme. Secretly, they hold the clean eaters in high regard so their inner conflict leads to outwardly belittling the clean eaters. The trigger for the eat whatever you want group is "clean". If that word is used in any way, shape or form, OR implied, OR used as flame bait, the eat whatever you want group is in for the kill. Some of the clean eaters are a tad fed up with the bashing EVEN though we personally have never preached clean eating, told others that was the way they had to eat or it was the only way to eat. That's what this thread is all about. Oh, and so far nothing much in the way of gifs but I'm sure they are just around the corner. Cheers!

Oh really? :huh:

Here's a response from a thread on this forum entitled "Taco Bell." The OP simply asks what people order when they go there. First page of the thread:
    Nothing. It's garbage.

From the Artificial Sweetener Demonizing post:
    Everyone should be against artificial sweeteners because they are part of the reason we are experiencing an obesity epidemic, whether they are low in calories or not, everything from high fructose corn syrup to aspartame has been linked to obesity. And if they are consuming sweets despite knowing that they are unhealthy, they likely are making other poor nutrition decisions as well.

Those are just two examples of people preaching clean eating or the avoidance of certain foods. There are examples of these types of posts all over MFP. Please cut the sanctimony and have a look around, because it's not just clean eaters being bashed and people bashing them because they hold them in high regard. There are plenty of clean eating warriors running around here telling people that the choices they make in regards to food are not good ones or that a person is eating crap, junk, garbage, or is making themselves fat and/or sick.

^^^This x 1000...
    Not to mention that we still have no definitive definition of what it means to eat "clean"...
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    IN

Because two train wrecks are better than one
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I hope I'm not seen as someone who puts down the food choices of others :frown: but with all the talk of closed diaries, if anyone ever really needs to know what I'm eating, just ask. :tongue:
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Choosing not to eat junk is now self-deprivation?
    I only eat food. Junk is for junkies.
    Don't you mean junk is for junk yards - more precise please.

What you meant was drugs are for drug addicts.

Where I come from, junk is heroin. We don't have a place called a "junk yard," unless you count the city park where the heroin junkies go. If you mean the place where they buy broken appliances and copper wire and smash up broken down vehicles, that's called the "metal yard" or if you mean the place where the garbage trucks dump all the garbage, that's what we call a "land fill."

(Again, I love the English language and the various ways of speaking it.)

P.S. In for the roll, but I want mine with a honey butter spread please.
    Let's be honest. Junk belongs in the water.

300px--HK_CityHall_Seaview_51217_5.png
  • Shikonneko
    Shikonneko Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    IN

Because two train wrecks are better than one

Perfection :love:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    A nice bowl of cold Borscht anyone?

14042419164_c5ae67fcc7.jpgimage

That looks like Jello. No thanks.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Choosing not to eat junk is now self-deprivation?
    I only eat food. Junk is for junkies.
    Don't you mean junk is for junk yards - more precise please.

What you meant was drugs are for drug addicts.

Where I come from, junk is heroin. We don't have a place called a "junk yard," unless you count the city park where the heroin junkies go. If you mean the place where they buy broken appliances and copper wire and smash up broken down vehicles, that's called the "metal yard" or if you mean the place where the garbage trucks dump all the garbage, that's what we call a "land fill."

(Again, I love the English language and the various ways of speaking it.)

P.S. In for the roll, but I want mine with a honey butter spread please.
    Let's be honest. Junk belongs in the water.

300px--HK_CityHall_Seaview_51217_5.png

Nice!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

This is actually a quite brilliant account of exactly what the issue is...

Misrepresenting someone else's position leads to unnecessary arguments.

(Full disclosure: not a "clean" eater or a "IIFYM" eater.)
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Of course they don't. They just say that people who DON'T eat clean will die of cancer or some other mystery illness, or they will preach about their "health" superiority when they either have no avi, an unimpressive avi, less than stellar ticker, or closed diary.

I'm curious which of these are the unimpressive ones. Is it the okcupid bathroom pics from little fellas who have business doing so? Is it the cartoon drawings? Or is it my favoritest of all, the pics of the aftermath of their latest food bender?
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options

I'm curious which of these are the unimpressive ones. Is it the okcupid bathroom pics from little fellas who have business doing so? Is it the cartoon drawings? Or is it my favoritest of all, the pics of the aftermath of their latest food bender?

:huh: This is another example of the clean/healthy eating crowd not preaching to others about how to eat, right?

ETA: I'm guessing you also meant "okcupid bathroom pics from little fellas who have NO business doing so." Body shaming is not allowed on the forums.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I find this the most fascinating aspect of this. Those who seem to preach the loudest about their superior way of eating for optimal health (including those who have commented on specific diary entries of mine) almost always have a closed diary. I have to believe they know how disingenuous this looks to everyone but they just don't care. Whatever the reasoning, it really is fascinating to me.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

It is more for the people who started exercising and dieting last week who come on here and elsewhere who preach to people about what is the right way to exercise, diet and tell people what they should and shouldn't eat. It is like instead of me taking my car to an established mechanic, I take it to my friend who has all the tools and read the manual, but has never actually fixed a car.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Oh really? :huh:

Here's a response from a thread on this forum entitled "Taco Bell." The OP simply asks what people order when they go there. First page of the thread:
    Nothing. It's garbage.

From the Artificial Sweetener Demonizing post:
    Everyone should be against artificial sweeteners because they are part of the reason we are experiencing an obesity epidemic, whether they are low in calories or not, everything from high fructose corn syrup to aspartame has been linked to obesity. And if they are consuming sweets despite knowing that they are unhealthy, they likely are making other poor nutrition decisions as well.

Those are just two examples of people preaching clean eating or the avoidance of certain foods. There are examples of these types of posts all over MFP. Please cut the sanctimony and have a look around, because it's not just clean eaters being bashed and people bashing them because they hold them in high regard. There are plenty of clean eating warriors running around here telling people that the choices they make in regards to food are not good ones or that a person is eating crap, junk, garbage, or is making themselves fat and/or sick.

+1
  • J72FIT
    Options

It is more for the people who started exercising and dieting last week who come on here and elsewhere who preach to people about what is the right way to exercise, diet and tell people what they should and shouldn't eat. It is like instead of me taking my car to an established mechanic, I take it to my friend who has all the tools and read the manual, but has never actually fixed a car.

Love this^^^
  • delicious_cocktail
    delicious_cocktail Posts: 5,797 Member
    Options
    Ok, recap for the late comers. MFP seems to be fractured into a couple of main groups - the healthy eaters and the eat whatever you want eaters. Within those two groups there are a variety of sub-groups. For the most part, there are preachers on both sides who like to bash. They resort to name calling, food shaming, sarcasm and generally aren't very nice . . .

Okay, sounds reasonable, sounds somewhat objective, I'm with you . . .
    simply because the clean eaters choose to lose weight and/or get fit in a manner which they deem as being extreme.

NO! No! Bad poster! BAD!

'Clean eaters' emphasize healthful foods and IIFYM's emphasize macronutritional composition of foods.

Within these philosophies there exist A-holes who misrepresent others' philosophies to prop up their own - - whether those demonizations insist that the others eat extreme, strict diets or completely out of control unhealthy diets.

Are these social phenomena really that hard to understand?
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    So bummed I missed out on this.

Mostly agree with the dude above me though. Not sure what else needs to be said.

oh right. memes. memes need to be said.
  • MarioLozano16
    MarioLozano16 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    They like to use any excuse to eat like crap

Also IIFYM started as a phrase when dumb kids would ask if they could eat a certain food in their diet. If it fit their macros they could eat it. It eventually turned into eating whatever you want as long as it fits
  • cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options

My god I'm so happy I found this comment!

You don't know how many times I've wanted to say this about an "IIFYM" person or a Ketosis person - especially the keto folks. I don't think I've ever seen someone in Ketosis actually get thin.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Out.

Shake it all about...

What if that's really what it's all about??

In.....for the RUDE :drinker: