Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest, I think some people find it threatening for some reason. I find it pretty bizarre that any mention of healthy eating gets so attacked; I've never come across a similar response in life that didn't have at least some fear behind it.
    I could throw that right back at the people that feel the need to label foods as 'healthy' and thus others not.
    I suspect this IS more of a case of 'fear', personally.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    I don't think anyone bashes healthy eating.

What they bash is dietary extremism (and rightly so.)

Unfortunately sometimes those bashing dietary extremism become extreme and then they get bashed for extremism and then things go round...and...round...and round...like joggers.

Fortunately nobody to date has mentioned the band "Extreme" and their popular ditty "Get the Funk Out". That would be sick.

But who's definition of extremism!

Well, mine of course!

I think maybe fanaticism is a better word actually - as it denotes excessive, wild or irrational devotion to certain ideas which will not allow for opposing ideas to be seen as legitimate or considered.

So, the "Everything in Moderation" mob can be fanatical, as can the Paleo people as can the Low Carb collective and so on...

I would suggest though that most people on MFP are not at either end of your spectrum. I should think a lot of the moderation crew over indulge from time to time and the LCHF gang will sometimes eat a little higher carb than they would on a normal day.

However I think the number of LCHF'ers who go onto IIFYM or moderation threads pushing their particular diet is small compared to the IIFYM/moderation crew who come onto LCHF or paleo/primal or clean eating threads touting their wares!
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Unfortunately sometimes those bashing dietary extremism become extreme and then they get bashed for extremism and then things go round...and...round...and round...like joggers.

Fortunately nobody to date has mentioned the band "Extreme" and their popular ditty "Get the Funk Out". That would be sick.

No, they do not have the 'right' to bash what they have deemed as a dietary extremism. They are being judgmental over a dietary choice and lifestyle they do not agree with. It's none of their business.

Yes, they certainly can do if that dietary extremism is actually harmful and perpetuates false and unsupportable beliefs which makes other people miserable and proponents of a certain way of eating insist it must be done in that way. It's everyone's business in that scenario.

I do not take issue with anyone's personal preferences when it comes to eating but rather when they insist others must follow that way for no good reason other than an unfounded belief.

What's harmful about clean eating or LCHF?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

No, they do not have the 'right' to bash what they have deemed as a dietary extremism. They are being judgmental over a dietary choice and lifestyle they do not agree with. It's none of their business.

Yes, they certainly can do if that dietary extremism is actually harmful and perpetuates false and unsupportable beliefs which makes other people miserable and proponents of a certain way of eating insist it must be done in that way. It's everyone's business in that scenario.

I do not take issue with anyone's personal preferences when it comes to eating but rather when they insist others must follow that way for no good reason other than an unfounded belief.

Not to mention, when it's posted in a public forum for discussion, others have the "right" to express their disagreement...strongly, even....

...which, of course, is interpreted as "bashing" by many here.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

I would suggest though that most people on MFP are not at either end of your spectrum. I should think a lot of the moderation crew over indulge from time to time and the LCHF gang will sometimes eat a little higher carb than they would on a normal day.

Yep, I agree.
    However I think the number of LCHF'ers who go onto IIFYM or moderation threads pushing their particular diet is small compared to the IIFYM/moderation crew who come onto LCHF or paleo/primal or clean eating threads touting their wares!

People's perceptions vary of course. That maybe the case or it may simply appear to be that way because traditional elimination / excessive restriction diets are so common that the proportionally small number of times they get challenged by the Moderation crew seem to add up to a lot.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options

Nothing, UNLESS the person asking the question is arbitrarily cutting out a food they enjoy in order to fit some arbitrary, ultimately meaningless definition. That leads to low adherence, cravings, giving in, guilt, and eventually failure. Much better to work out a sustainable eating plan in the beginning. Eating clean or LCHF (or paleo, or vegan, or any other restrictive diet) is completely unnecessary for health or weight control, barring a specific medical condition (for instance, LCHF was designed as a treatment for epilepsy, it offers no health of metabolic advantages to someone with no health problems.)
  • msf74
    Options

Nothing in of itself and they can work spectacularly well if it fits a person's preferences, particularly their psychology.

It's really a mindset I am talking about here rather than what people choose to put in their mouth.

Tiiter ye not.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Define 'Healthy eating', In reality any food can be good or bad for you. Too many Bananas can poison you for example. Too much water can be bad for you. That's why demonising food groups and types of food is a bit silly. Do I eat healthy? In reality I eat well enough to sustain my body and my exercise. I get a variety of foods from different sources with a balance of Vitamins, minerals etc and some of those sources include chocolate and other things.

The problem is not people bashing 'Healthy Eating' the problem is those thing there is a specific thing that is Healthy eating.

this.

I think the "bash on healthy eating" is a way of some people to mask their fear of some food/food groups or that their food dogma.is being challenged.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Probably because clean eaters put all sorts of adjectives on their diet and food that make other food out to look like "the bad guy"

What is seems to be shocking to so many people is that the IIFYM folks- we actually eat "clean" quiet a bit of the time- but we don't cal lit that because it just is what it is and we work everything in the way we want to. (IF IT FITS IT FITS!!!)- But because we have no problem "admitting" that we eat "junk" food- the perception is that we eat crap ALL the time- we don't. We eat "clean" quiet a bit- because it's easier to eat the amount of food needed to feel full and still accomplish goals- but the reality is we eat all sorts of things.

IIFYM =/= twinkie diet- which is what "clean eaters" seem to think it means.

We just don't go around demonizing twinkies- we eat chicken and veggies- then have our oreo's/ice cream for dinner.

So what big deal- no need to make a big thing about it.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think the main concern people have is when people go to extremes. Some people, will label certain foods as "bad" and completely deny themselves those items. The end result is that a few days/weeks later they end up binge eating that food item. Calories in vs calories out is very important. Of course, if someone eats the "processed foods at the quantities offered" they are most likely going to end up going over their calories but that doesn't mean they can't get the processed food and just cut down on the portion they'd normally eat. There was a science teacher that managed to lose weight only eating McDonald's and it was precisely because he kept track of his caloric intake vs expenditure.

I have found for myself that it's important to keep "treats" around to satisfy any cravings. Otherwise, I might find myself eating a whole container instead of just enough to satisfy me.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I've been going through lots of posts, and I see this very often: "It doesn't matter what you eat, losing weight is a matter of taking in fewer calories than you use" or "If it fits your macros, then all is fine". Isn't losing weight a part of getting healthy (or healthier) for most people? If that assumption is true (and after reading some of these posts, I'm not sure it is), then why does everyone say it is OK to eat all the processed foods that are in the American diet and has lead us, as a nation, to be the fattest industrialized nation on earth? And we know obesity contributes to diabetes, heart disease, stroke....not exactly what I would call healthy.

I'm not advocating not having a treat if you want it (this from someone who had some chocolate ice cream last night). But I don't see how eating fast foods and processed foods in the quantities offered out there can possibly be healthy. And so many people on MFP don't just say it is OK, but seem to encourage their consumption.

Just wondering.....

To be brutally honest, I think some people find it threatening for some reason. I find it pretty bizarre that any mention of healthy eating gets so attacked; I've never come across a similar response in life that didn't have at least some fear behind it.

I think you are on to something!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    To be brutally honest, I think some people find it annoying for some reason. I find it pretty bizarre that any mention of healthy eating gets so attacked; I've never come across a similar response in life that didn't have at least some fear behind it.

FTFY
    no one likes their food being judged for arbitrary reasons- especially completely unscientific - fear mongering trend reasons.
  • tigersword
    Options
    I've been going through lots of posts, and I see this very often: "It doesn't matter what you eat, losing weight is a matter of taking in fewer calories than you use" or "If it fits your macros, then all is fine". Isn't losing weight a part of getting healthy (or healthier) for most people? If that assumption is true (and after reading some of these posts, I'm not sure it is), then why does everyone say it is OK to eat all the processed foods that are in the American diet and has lead us, as a nation, to be the fattest industrialized nation on earth? And we know obesity contributes to diabetes, heart disease, stroke....not exactly what I would call healthy.

I'm not advocating not having a treat if you want it (this from someone who had some chocolate ice cream last night). But I don't see how eating fast foods and processed foods in the quantities offered out there can possibly be healthy. And so many people on MFP don't just say it is OK, but seem to encourage their consumption.

Just wondering.....

It's usually the clean eaters that seem to feel "threatened." I always find it bizarre that someone telling a poster that it's OK to eat a serving of ice cream if it fits their plan gets interpreted by clean eaters as, "STOP TELLING THAT PERSON THEY CAN EAT ICE CREAM ALL DAY!" Go ahead, read through the threads, you'll find that sort of thing happens all more often than anything else.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

So, healthy eating is actually harmful? Oh WOW <slaps forehead, shaking head, then sits on fingers to prevent typing a suitable response...>
  • msf74
    Options
    I think the main concern people have is when people go to extremes. Some people, will label certain foods as "bad" and completely deny themselves those items. The end result is that a few days/weeks later they end up binge eating that food item.

Exactly.

It is the traditional dieting mindset and it has a spectacularly high failure rate over the long term.

If a person likes clean eating / low carb / vegan or whatever and they do not feel excessively deprived or restricted then let them have at it. More power to them.

If a person doesn't like any of those methods (or the "eat in moderation" method for that matter) but are told they must keep suffering, it has to be hard, it has to feel like punishment, you need lots of willpower to be successful then things start derailing. None of those things are true.
  • deb426
    deb426 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I like this phrase "Everytime you eat you are either feeding disease or preventing it." I think that's good food for thought. I remind myself of this when I want something processed and relatively unhealthy.
  • 8lackie
    8lackie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I know the lower on the food chain I eat the healthier I am and feel. That said, I'm not opposed to a stack of pancakes and bacon drenched in maple syrup occasionally.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I try to eat cleaner, but this argument isn't one I normally engage in - it's just sort of pointless, you know? I know that eating a certain way makes me feel better, so that's what I do and I worry about myself and my own goals. I feel like I *do* eat what fits into my macros, too. And fast food or Twinkies don't fit into them. That's my prerogative and I don't really care what others think of it :) If what works for me doesn't work for others, that's fine too.
  • msf74
    Options

So, healthy eating is actually harmful? Oh WOW <slaps forehead, shaking head, then sits on fingers to prevent typing a suitable response...>

No extremism and fanaticism are.

But tell me what you really think and I will address it. Open dialogue is good.
  • tigersword
    Options

Orthorexia nervosa is a thing. Eating an overall healthy diet isn't harmful (and is actually what IIFYM proponents push for.) Obsessing over the "health"of individual foods, without regard for the overall diet, is unhealthy. Lots of people call carrots "healthy," however, is eating 500 calories worth of carrots every day, with nothing else, "healthy?" Unfortunately, far too many people think it is, which is how we end up with eating disorders like orthorexia and anorexia.