Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    No one is bashing healthy eating. What's mainly being said is moderation, stay away from extremes.

But what if you find moderation and calorie counting unsustainabl! What do you do then?

how would it be unsustainable? And what then is "sustainable" eliminating a whole group of foods because they are "bad"….

It's that statement right there that pretty much cements my view of certain members on this forum!

Counting calories works, cutting food groups I.e LCHF works.

Some will find calorie counting unsustainable, some will find cutting food groups unsustainable - do you really not get it or was your post supposed to be tongue in cheek (I really hope it's the latter).

I never said one worked better then the other..my question is what is sustainable then? In my personal opinion, it is easier to track calories rather then avoid a whole food group because it has been deemed "bad." Using the phone app takes me about five minutes to log all my food for the day ..I do not see how five minutes of my time to log calories is not "sustainable"..

I answered in a post earlier. When eating the same foods that I tended to over eat on, when trying to eat the same food in smaller portions I always felt hungry when I hit my calorie target for the day. Not very pleasant.

Now however my appetite is under control - I don't ever eat until afternoon (which is when I am hungry for the first time of the day).

I have constant energy, and at weekends I can do a 12 mile hike, or 20 mile bike ride on a Sunday morning on a cup of coffee.

Different people find different things easy and hard - you say that you would struggle on cutting out grain and wheat - for me it's easy, don't miss it, don't crave it. LCHF has been a breeze.

I've so far lost 8 inches off my waist, 25lbs in weight and I've not logged I gram of food.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately the second link does cite references, nor does it contain *useful* information.

The first link DOES have links to some resources that are more useful, however, cheers.

I can see, for instance, that apparently 50g of dark chocolate has similar amounts of flavinoid to 6 onions.
    Sounds pretty good - that's a lot of grams of onion.
    BUT, that's also 260 calories. 6 onions likely be similar and have made a delicious filling soup or similar - or if considering taking it on a weakly basis, the sort of number of onions I'll often eat in a week anyway. Especially when you consider other foods that contain them.

Unfortunately the abstracts etc of the studies I've just read don't go into enough detail on their methods - were the participants restricted from eating other foods high in these, for instance?
    Is it specifically ones in chocolate, or in reality will your person eating a varied diet likely get plenty of them as it is?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    No one is bashing healthy eating. What's mainly being said is moderation, stay away from extremes.

But what if you find moderation and calorie counting unsustainabl! What do you do then?

how would it be unsustainable? And what then is "sustainable" eliminating a whole group of foods because they are "bad"….

It's that statement right there that pretty much cements my view of certain members on this forum!

Some will find calorie counting unsustainable, some will find cutting food groups unsustainable - do you really not get it or was your post supposed to be tongue in cheek (I really hope it's the latter).

I never said one worked better then the other..my question is what is sustainable then? In my personal opinion, it is easier to track calories rather then avoid a whole food group because it has been deemed "bad." Using the phone app takes me about five minutes to log all my food for the day ..I do not see how five minutes of my time to log calories is not "sustainable"..

I answered in a post earlier. When eating the same foods that I tended to over eat on, when trying to eat the same food in smaller portions I always felt hungry when I hit my calorie target for the day. Not very pleasant.

Now however my appetite is under control - I don't ever eat until afternoon (which is when I am hungry for the first time of the day).

I have constant energy, and at weekends I can do a 12 mile hike, or 20 mile bike ride on a Sunday morning on a cup of coffee.

Different people find different things easy and hard - you say that you would struggle on cutting out grain and wheat - for me it's easy, don't miss it, don't crave it. LCHF has been a breeze.

I've so far lost 8 inches off my waist, 25lbs in weight and I've not logged I gram of food.

I find it interesting how many people are MFP members but don't use the primary tool of MFP. If I wasn't tracking calories, no way would I be here since the entire premise of this site is centered around tracking calories. (Note, I'm not saying that tracking calories is essential, but it's a key component...and I'm also not saying that people *shouldn't* be here if they aren't tracking, I just find it interesting.)
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    (how much I'm not sure)
    Oh well, I was genuinely hoping you'd have the answer, as it's something I've looked at myself.
    Without that, I have to file it not too far away from Acai ketones and so on.

While I'm here, I should note that this is does, however, rather contradict the claim that you understand the benefit or lack of from the calories you eat :).

I have to admit I don't as much as I would like to in similar situations.

You want too much.

There have been studies done to show that anti oxidants can help the effectiveness of chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

Basically anti oxidants block free radicals which we all have in us and are molecules that alter the structure of other molecules (in many instances oxidising them)

That much I know. In regards to specific studies I don't have any to send you.

I know what antioxidants do and I believe they are beneficial - that's good enough for me.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I find it interesting how many people are MFP members but don't use the primary tool of MFP. If I wasn't tracking calories, no way would I be here since the entire premise of this site is centered around tracking calories. (Note, I'm not saying that tracking calories is essential, but it's a key component...and I'm also not saying that people *shouldn't* be here if they aren't tracking, I just find it interesting.)

For me tracking calories is a ball ache.

MFP is so much more than just a calorie counter.

If you only use it for that then great at least you're getting benefit from it.
  • geebusuk
    Options

While I would agree this as a failure of 'everything in moderation' for you (the concept doesn't really work for me), I don't see it as a failure of 'calorie counting' - you could as well have adjusted your diet to provide foods that kept you fuller and so on on while still counting calories.

There's certainly some foods (like full fat cheese) that I DO have to remove completely.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    To anyone wondering the same thing, Open diary, Create post.

I'm afraid.

:smile: While I assume you're being facetious, here are some other options, again for anyone wondering:

Post a quick topic on your News feed. MFPals can be incredibly supportive and know just what to say! I know I look in my FL diaries all the time but do not offer any opinions unless specifically asked (I'm useless, I know)

Another option is to search MyFitnessPal.com old posts. Personally I don't much care for the website's search feature so I use Google. Example, in google search, type (without quotes):

"I can't stop eating site:MyFitnessPal.com"

I even created a shortcut on my phone to be able to type site:MyFitnessPal.com easily. Honestly , the fact that so many MFP members step up to say, "NO, this information is wrong" has been incredibly helpful to me and helps me trust the info on this site more, and has enabled me to come up with my own individual plan that I find sustainable. It seems people want to be able to give advice like no carbs after 2 PM and don't eat after 7 PM or cut out this food or that food, without being challenged. THANKFULLY, this is the wrong site for any and all of that!!
  • geebusuk
    Options
    I know what antioxidants do and I believe they are beneficial - that's good enough for me.
    For me, wanting to know if it's a fringe benefit that doesn't apply to me (or could even be detrimental) versus good evidence it is worth me doing certainly isn't "wanting too much".
    To me that's a "sensible decision making process" :).

Now, if the situation regarding misinformation in this field was different, I might accept the point of "wanting too much".
    Unfortunately, as it is, not only is there a massive amount of distracting and badly used 'information' out there, but a lot of people try and make money for abusing said information to get people viewing their media - which is usually done by significantly overplaying the like benefits or detriments on a particular food or activity.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Honestly , the fact that so many MFP members step up to say, "NO, this information is wrong" has been incredibly helpful to me and helps me trust the info on this site more, and has enabled me to come up with my own individual plan that I find sustainable. It seems people want to be able to give advice like no carbs after 2 PM and don't eat after 7 PM or cut out this food or that food, without being challenged. THANKFULLY, this is the wrong site for any and all of that!!
    If I weren't a moderately ardent atheist*, I'd offer up an 'Amen' :).

* back to that whole 'needing evidence' thing!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

It's more than that, and yet it's still centered around that. The forums assume that others are using that particular tool...so the advice in the forums reflect that fact. The other members to be on your FL to provide all those motivations and supports? Most of them track calories. It's a reasonable assumption that any topic will be in the context of tracking calories.

Like I said, I just find it interesting.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

It's more than that, and yet it's still centered around that. The forums assume that others are using that particular tool...so the advice in the forums reflect that fact. The other members to be on your FL to provide all those motivations and supports? Most of them track calories. It's a reasonable assumption that any topic will be in the context of tracking calories.

Like I said, I just find it interesting.

In regards to the FL I enjoy the interaction and support. I run through it everyday and leave messages of support where appropriate.

I don't but in on threads where people are asking for advice on calorie counting or IIFYM (I'm not a LCHF recruiter) unlike a lot of the IIFYM group how seem to take it as a personal affront when someone considers leaving the fold.

I tend to stick to low carb - keto threads. Or the threads where people are looking for advice on cutting back on sugar (as I have done this myself I feel I can offer a suggestion).

If someone is not asking about LCHF diets I don't mention it, if they are I do.

Just because I do not count calories now doesn't mean I do not have a perspective on it - as I have done it in the past (unsuccessfully as it didn't suit my needs).
  • tennisdude2004
    Options
    For me, wanting to know if it's a fringe benefit that doesn't apply to me (or could even be detrimental) versus good evidence it is worth me doing certainly isn't "wanting too much".
    To me that's a "sensible decision making process" :).

Now, if the situation regarding misinformation in this field was different, I might accept the point of "wanting too much".
    Unfortunately, as it is, not only is there a massive amount of distracting and badly used 'information' out there, but a lot of people try and make money for abusing said information to get people viewing their media - which is usually done by significantly overplaying the like benefits or detriments on a particular food or activity.

Well if you come across convincing evidence that anti oxidants aren't beneficial to include into your diet, please feel free to pass it down the line.

Until then I will continue to enjoy them (red wine and dark chocolate) even if the benefits are minimal I'll enjoy consuming them.
  • geebusuk
    Options
    Well if you come across convincing evidence that anti oxidants aren't beneficial to include into your diet, please feel free to pass it down the line.

Until then I will continue to enjoy them (red wine and dark chocolate) even if the benefits are minimal I'll enjoy consuming them.
    I don't know what you eat, but I suspect you may well get plenty of them anyway in your diet before the wine and chocolate.

Personally, as above, I'd consider it pretty silly to include foods in your diet just because there *could* be a health benefits.

Because you enjoy consuming them and they fit your general goals - THAT however, I would take as an excellent reason :).
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

if I cut out carbs I would be a miserable, cranky, tired mess and my gym performance would go in the tank….

that being said, the fact that you do not count calories does not make it not "sustainable"..I have a feeling that plenty of people doing LCHF diets log their calories ….I have some low carbers on my FL and they log their calories…

so I still fail to see how calorie counting is not sustainable….you could do LCHF and log your calories, you just choose not to, which is fine but that does not make it unsustainable...
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

I don't know what you eat, but I suspect you may well get plenty of them anyway in your diet before the wine and chocolate.

Personally, as above, I'd consider it pretty silly to include foods in your diet just because there *could* be a health benefits.

Because you enjoy consuming them and they fit your general goals - THAT however, I would take as an excellent reason :).

You're right I do get plenty of them - mainly in my veggies carrots etc.
  • tennisdude2004
    Options

if I cut out carbs I would be a miserable, cranky, tired mess and my gym performance would go in the tank….

that being said, the fact that you do not count calories does not make it not "sustainable"..I have a feeling that plenty of people doing LCHF diets log their calories ….I have some low carbers on my FL and they log their calories…

so I still fail to see how calorie counting is not sustainable….you could do LCHF and log your calories, you just choose not to, which is fine but that does not make it unsustainable...

Calorie counting unsustainable - just look beyond MFP (a majority of members will be having great success with it and long may that continue) but the ones that start it and find it unsustainable normally leave MFP.

In regards to people doing LCHF and calorie counting, I should think there are lots.

If I didn't hate logging and weighting my food I would probably do it as now I have less appetite I doubt I would still be hungry once I hit my calorie target.

The fact I am comfortably losing weight though would probably mean I'm intuitively eating in a deficit quite well though.

As I've said for the past couple of months I have nothing against calorie counting, it's just not everyone's cup of tea and not is low carb.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Calorie counting unsustainable - just look beyond MFP (a majority of members will be having great success with it and long may that continue) but the ones that start it and find it unsustainable normally leave MFP.

In regards to people doing LCHF and calorie counting, I should think there are lots.

If I didn't hate logging and weighting my food I would probably do it as now I have less appetite I doubt I would still be hungry once I hit my calorie target.

The fact I am comfortably losing weight though would probably mean I'm intuitively eating in a deficit quite well though.

As I've said for the past couple of months I have nothing against calorie counting, it's just not everyone's cup of tea and not is low carb.

I agree with you on the calorie counting. Calorie counting is a great tool to help in weight loss and possibly weight gain, and it aids in learning portion size but I don't see calorie counting as being a sustainable way of eating for the rest of one's life. I think that calorie counting for an extended period of time has the potential to create an unhealthy relationship with food. Think of calorie counting as training wheels when learning to ride a bicycle. Once you've mastered the balancing skills, you no longer need the training wheels.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

No doubt. I eat dark chocolate...(Green & Black's 85%)...and drink wine because it's delicious. If it happens to be good for me, then bonus.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

I agree with you on the calorie counting. Calorie counting is a great tool to help in weight loss and possibly weight gain, and it aids in learning portion size but I don't see calorie counting as being a sustainable way of eating for the rest of one's life. I think that calorie counting for an extended period of time has the potential to create an unhealthy relationship with food. Think of calorie counting as training wheels when learning to ride a bicycle. Once you've mastered the balancing skills, you no longer need the training wheels.

Possibly??? It is essential (IMHO).

And your training wheel analogy? Why? What is wrong with counting calories for an extended period of time? I've been doing it for almost three years. What danger am I in?
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I've been going through lots of posts, and I see this very often: "It doesn't matter what you eat, losing weight is a matter of taking in fewer calories than you use" or "If it fits your macros, then all is fine". Isn't losing weight a part of getting healthy (or healthier) for most people? If that assumption is true (and after reading some of these posts, I'm not sure it is), then why does everyone say it is OK to eat all the processed foods that are in the American diet and has lead us, as a nation, to be the fattest industrialized nation on earth? And we know obesity contributes to diabetes, heart disease, stroke....not exactly what I would call healthy.

I'm not advocating not having a treat if you want it (this from someone who had some chocolate ice cream last night). But I don't see how eating fast foods and processed foods in the quantities offered out there can possibly be healthy. And so many people on MFP don't just say it is OK, but seem to encourage their consumption.

Just wondering.....
    Well, at least you acknowledge that this is your own failure.

Boy, talk about snarky! All I did was ask a question. I'm so glad that you know it all. Puts the rest of us to shame, I guess...