Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

No, it's not all you said. You were responding to a debate about who is healthier, vegans or paleo. To get in on that argument, I'd assume you would have a basic understanding of the two groups. If you don't like that assumption, too bad.

Can you give us more information on the factual nature of vegans being prone to an eating disorder that still hasn't achieved medical recognition?

Again, how can you say vegans are *more* prone to something if you don't know anything about the other group?

Whatever.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Edit because it's ridiculous.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Whatever.

Thought so.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

No, it's not all you said. You were responding to a debate about who is healthier, vegans or paleo. To get in on that argument, I'd assume you would have a basic understanding of the two groups. If you don't like that assumption, too bad.

Can you give us more information on the factual nature of vegans being prone to an eating disorder that still hasn't achieved medical recognition?

Again, how can you say vegans are *more* prone to something if you don't know anything about the other group?

Whatever.

^^^^^^^ debate winner!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    orthorexia, imo, is not caused by a vegan diet but rather by the mentality that you have.to.cut a certain food group because they are deemed unhealthy.

take for example the demonization of rice by hardcore paleos. interestingly, asia, the land of white rice and wheat based noodle eaters have lower obesity and overweight population.

what people often forget is the activity level. people here in the west are.so.accustomed.to convenience that even washing dishes by hands are seen as inconvenient.

public transportation is so convenient is asia that a lot.of.people get non exercise activities.

Okay, actually read what I said. I said that ethical vegans were prone to orthorexia because they attach moral significance and personal value to what they eat. I also made it clear that they were not the only ones who were prone to it, but that anyone who had the same mindset was at risk. Why do you think I am constantly reminding people that we need to have a healthy psychological relationship with food? Have you read any of my posts in this thread at all?

However, if I had to tip the scale in favor of health toward either side, I would still reply that I think that paleo eaters are marginally healthier, since there is the vitamin B12 issue with vegan eating. If you were not setting up your question as an actual choice, then why pose it at all? If you meant it as a rhetorical question, then why not state that at the outset?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    Whatever.

Thought so.

I am not getting drawn into another argument. I stated several times that vegans were not the only ones with the issue. It's up to you to read the articles I linked to. So, I repeat, "whatever." Nothing I say will make you less offended unless you choose to be and it will just be a colossal waste of my time. *shrugs* It's really not worth it.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options
    orthorexia, imo, is not caused by a vegan diet but rather by the mentality that you have.to.cut a certain food group because they are deemed unhealthy.

take for example the demonization of rice by hardcore paleos. interestingly, asia, the land of white rice and wheat based noodle eaters have lower obesity and overweight population.

what people often forget is the activity level. people here in the west are.so.accustomed.to convenience that even washing dishes by hands are seen as inconvenient.

public transportation is so convenient is asia that a lot.of.people get non exercise activities.

Okay, actually read what I said. I said that ethical vegans were prone to orthorexia because they attach moral significance and personal value to what they eat. I also made it clear that they were not the only ones who were prone to it, but that anyone who had the same mindset was at risk. Why do you think I am constantly reminding people that we need to have a healthy psychological relationship with food? Have you read any of my posts in this thread at all?

However, if I had to tip the scale in favor of health toward either side, I would still reply that I think that paleo eaters are marginally healthier, since there is the vitamin B12 issue with vegan eating. If you were not setting up your question as an actual choice, then why pose it at all? If you meant it as a rhetorical question, then why not state that at the outset?

http://www.naturalnews.com/033698_spirulina_superfood.html
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    the same can be argued about HARDCORE paleos and HARDCORE Atkins followers. some even go as fat.as.demonizing.fruits just because they have carbs or fructose...forgetting that many fruits contain essential micronutrients, too

• LoupGarouTFTs
    Options
    the same can be argued about HARDCORE paleos and HARDCORE Atkins followers. some even go as fat.as.demonizing.fruits just because they have carbs or fructose...forgetting that many fruits contain essential micronutrients, too

Just because you keep pulling out new examples doesn't make my statement any less right. As I said. Read all of my posts in this thread arguing for a healthy psychological relationship with food. Nothing changed when the word "vegan" was mentioned, unless it was vegans protesting that they're fine and anyway there are other people who are just as bad.
  • FlaxMilk
    Options
    Whatever.

Thought so.

I am not getting drawn into another argument. I stated several times that vegans were not the only ones with the issue. It's up to you to read the articles I linked to. So, I repeat, "whatever." Nothing I say will make you less offended unless you choose to be and it will just be a colossal waste of my time. *shrugs* It's really not worth it.

I'm not offended. I'm disagreeing with your argument. This won't be the first time I've said it: I would be vegan if you could prove to me that it was less healthy than the Standard American Diet, because it is about my personal value system. Most religious people I know wouldn't change their food based customs based on being told they are less mentally healthy. So tell me again, who are ethical vegans more orthorexic than? I don't think your opinion is offensive, I think you're wrong.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

I'm not offended. I'm disagreeing with your argument. This won't be the first time I've said it: I would be vegan if you could prove to me that it was less healthy than the Standard American Diet, because it is about my personal value system. Most religious people I know wouldn't change their food based customs based on being told they are less mentally healthy. So tell me again, who are ethical vegans more orthorexic than? I don't think your opinion is offensive, I think you're wrong.

Whatever.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    it seems that only flax milk noticed that in my original question, I said RELIGIOUS paleos and PETA vegans. noticed that I.am.pointing to EXTREME believers of these diets?

I believe it is the EXTREMENESS of people towards a "diet" that causes eating disorders not being a vegan or paleo per se.

a vegan on carrot and celery as likely to get an eating disorder as non vegan who.eats chicken breast and broccoli everyday
  • FlaxMilk
    Options

Whatever.

:wink:
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Last comment I'm going to bother with here. I have all kinds of folks on my FL. Clean eaters, dirty eaters, paleo, atkins, primal, vegan, vegetarian, keto followers, you name it. A good few of them are even in this thread. I got love for all of them, and fully support everyone in their personal goals.

That said, I DO pay attention to people's food journals, and can pretty accurately predict which of them are going to go off the rails at least once a week and get frustrated with themselves. I'll just say it isn't the clean eaters, paleo, atkins, primal, vegan, vegetarian, or keto followers.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

That said, I DO pay attention to people's food journals, and can pretty accurately predict which of them are going to go off the rails at least once a week and get frustrated with themselves. I'll just say it isn't the clean eaters, paleo, atkins, primal, vegan, vegetarian, or keto followers.

So how many times have I gone off the rails? I'll make my food diary public long enough for you to look at it.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

So how many times have I gone off the rails? I'll make my food diary public long enough for you to look at it.

Well let's have another look at it when you've been going at it for more than a week or two, and we'll see.
  • SymphonynSonata
    Options

What exercise did you do that burned 921 calories on 4/25/14?
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    Options

What exercise did you do that burned 921 calories on 4/25/14?

My activity level is set to "light" for the week. On Friday I spent four hours working on a goat farm, helping with the assessment, milking, cleaning, and other vigorous activities. I then went and walked a client dog for about three miles, returned home, and spent time gardening and housecleaning. Shortly before bed I did some stretching and did some core muscle exercises. At 9:20 I passed out on the couch and slept for 12 hours. :)
  • jbugiel
    jbugiel Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to get into scientific debates with anyone, I'm not a scientist or nutritionist. I'll leave that to them. I just don't agree that processed foods are great and "we get fat cuz we're all in offices now". If you contact doctor's who specialize in health and nutrition, do they tell you "eat at mcdonald's? or hey, it's ok, you can be healthy there, doubtful you'll find one. I never said you can't lose weight eating those things. I just think making your food intake with simpler, more wholesome foods other than processed foods is healthier for your body. I did say it was my opinion also, and if you don't like my opinion, your welcome to ignore it, instead of lashing out at it or me.I don't eat clean, but like I said, I'm trying to change my lifelong habits of eating processed foods and easy choices into better for me foods and cooking more at home. I'm learning, and pushing forward and trying. That's all.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Do me, do me!
    :)
    I'm not going to get into scientific debates with anyone, I'm not a scientist or nutritionist. I'll leave that to them...

. I just don't agree that processed foods are great and "we get fat cuz we're all in offices now".
    So, on what basis don't you agree with it?
    Because 'professionals' who are used to simplifying things for the public don't recommend something the public may take in the wrong way?