Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Because people keep posting in it? ;)
    People want to eat healthy food, so what?

Some people want to claim "their" food choices are specifically "healthy" and others not.

Me, I think that's a narrow minded "unhealthy" concept that isn't congruent with reality.generally.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options

Counting calories for an extended period of time has the potential of creating an unhealthy relationship with food.
    Interesting assertion, doctor.

I don't understand the distinction between counting calories to *gain* weight vs counting calories to *lose* weight.

Both are "easy" to do without counting if you don't care about your health and are indifferent about your ultimate body composition. (I've done both at various times in my life without counting, both intentionally and unintentionally.) To lose weight, you just make sure you always feel hungry. To gain weight, you make sure you never feel hungry. Easy.

To do either one "right" and with specific and intentional results, however, requires counting.

Does keeping a household budget for an extended period of time have the potential of creating an unhealthy relationship with money? Does keeping an exercise log for an extended period of time have the potential of creating an unhealthy relationship with exercise? Does keeping important dates on your calendar for an extended period of time have the potential of creating an unhealthy relationship with time management?

Bingo!

Best post in the entire thread and nobody responds, so I felt I had to give you a huge thumbs up.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I like this phrase "Everytime you eat you are either feeding disease or preventing it." I think that's good food for thought. I remind myself of this when I want something processed and relatively unhealthy.
    Some foods will do both. Some food will do neither. Food for thought - I would suggest it's a really rather silly phrase!
    t pressure others to justify why they eat the way they do even if the diet of choice is casually mentioned in passing.
    Again, I never see that.
    If someone recommends the way they eat as solution to a problem which isn't proven, I will likely ask for evidence.
    Unfortunately a lot of people DO think that asking for proof, evidence and so on is "bashing".

I think the reason it's often viewed as bashing is because it comes off as being very confrontational, rather than curious. Why is someone saying that Paleo/clean/low-carb/etc. etc. etc. might be useful/helpful because of either anecdotal evidence ("It worked for me") or because they read or heard something somewhere, it's just a suggestion. No one asks people to justify or prove their suggestions when those suggestions are to work out, or count calories, or IIFYM, or everything in moderation, etc.
    If someone was saying this is the ONLY solution, then I'd agree with asking why they think that. If it's just a suggestion or someone mentioning this is what they do, why should they need to provide evidence?

Also, I've NEVER seen anyone on MFP saying you HAVE to eat clean, or Paleo, or any of the "fringe" diets. I have however seen people acting and talking as if moderation, etc. is the only way to go. If you have had bad experiences with someone who's clean/Paleo/etc. then I'm sorry, but to be honest in all of the clean eating threads I've seen lately, I've not seen a single clean eater saying you have to eat this way, or can't eat that, etc.

Just this afternoon a newer member on a new thread asked about vegetables because she was going to eat clean. I think it only took 4 replies before she was grilled as to why she wanted to eat clean. Honestly, other members don't realize how they come across. One simple question regarding vegetables and already it becomes a defend why you want to eat clean? It is no one's business why she wants to eat clean! The question was about vegetables. Anyway, anyone who mentions anything about eating clean is immediately put on the hot seat. And to make matters worse, if the member who says they eat clean doesn't provide some type of justification, links to why eating clean is better and open their diary things get worse. Honestly, these folks putting those who eat anything other than the SAD need to get a grip!

Is it possible that you feel a bit out of place because you do not subscribe to the primary purpose of this site, which is calorie counting for as long as you can stomach it? If a new user is asking about clean eating, yes, she will likely get asked why she is doing this. IMO the participants are slacking off if they do not ask this question. It is important to find out if, especially a newer member feels she NEEDS to eat clean to lose weight. And if she does, she can be advised that she indeed doesn't , and simply needs to eat at a caloric deficit. Now whether or not she chooses to take that advise after reviewing her personal situation, as an adult is apt to do, is up to her, but I would have you refer to the dozens of posts right here on this thread about "falling off" and generally low compliance to restrictive diets. If you really think we should simply help her with her specific question and mind our business on everything else, you may be on the wrong site

Reminds me about the smart young lady that was pissed as hell because people wouldn't just shut the heck up and give her advise about eating 400g of protein a day. Multiple people posted to say, uh, that doesn't sound right. Turns out she miscommunicated some details and despite her weight, only needed about half that much. What the heck kind of site would this be if people just doled out advise to potentially misguided people without bothering to set them straight? What quality of information would future members and surfers see when they simply perform searches to learn, with or without posting? Personally, I'd rather have simple, solid information I can search and trust than have ignorance rule the day. And I rely on, if not expect the members on here to make that happen.
  • MagdaSea
    MagdaSea Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Last year, a friend and I decided we'd get highly fit. Between the two of us, she had the more restrictive diet. I'm not sure if she was counting calories but she pretty much eliminated everything except for vegetables and meat and she stuck to this diet like glue for over two months. If my fiance and I came over for dinner, everyone would be eating normally and she would be eating controlled portions out of tupperware containers.

I admit that I teased her about this but never came down hard on her or told her to reconsider the diet.

So to reiterate, this was about a year ago. The other day, I sent her a text jokingly complaining (sort of ha ha) that I had eaten a handful of turkish figs causing my carb count to skyrocket for that day. The message I received back, criticized me for being so meticulous with my nutrition and she pretty much told me I was making a huge deal out of nothing.

It comes down to the kind of person that you are and what you're going through at the time. The sense behind healthy eating tends to be idiosyncratic I find.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Just this afternoon a newer member on a new thread asked about vegetables because she was going to eat clean. I think it only took 4 replies before she was grilled as to why she wanted to eat clean. Honestly, other members don't realize how they come across. One simple question regarding vegetables and already it becomes a defend why you want to eat clean? It is no one's business why she wants to eat clean! The question was about vegetables. Anyway, anyone who mentions anything about eating clean is immediately put on the hot seat. And to make matters worse, if the member who says they eat clean doesn't provide some type of justification, links to why eating clean is better and open their diary things get worse. Honestly, these folks putting those who eat anything other than the SAD need to get a grip!

Why the assumption that the people who were asking her why she eats clean all eat the SAD?

Dichotomous thinking is faulty logic and leads to long drawn-out threads like these.

Dichotomous thinking = putting people (or things) into one of two categories, generally two extremes... people in this debate get polarised into "IIFYM/junk food warriors/people who eat nothing but junk" and "clean eaters/healthy eaters/people who systematically avoid all junk food" - your assumption that anyone who's questioning someone who says they eats clean must be eating the standard American diet is the result of such dichotomous thinking. And it's bad logic.... just because someone advises people that they can enjoy some "junk" food so long as they stick to their macro and calorie goals, it does not mean they themselves eat huge amounts of junk food, or that they're advising others to eat huge amounts of junk food....just that they can eat it if it fits in their calorie/macro goals.

It's interesting that the clean eaters who exercise dichotomous thinking with regards to people who advise others they don't have to give up all "junk" food, also have dichotomous thinking about food, i.e. classifying food into "healthy" and "junk" and striving to get all their diet from the "healthy" category and abstain from the "junk" category............ but foods don't fit into two extremes like this...... food generally falls on a continuum from extremely nutritious to empty calories. And most of the food that's classified as "Junk" doesn't actually fall at the empty calories end of the scale either... burgers are very nutritious - they contain protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. The problem is that they're easy to overeat on and they don't contain much fibre. A diet consisting of only burgers is going to be unbalanced, and therefore unhealthy. But if you're getting fibre from other sources and a wider range of vitamins and minerals from other sources, then including a burger in your diet, while also watching your calories, is not unhealthy. Even foods that are genuinely empty calories (meaning they give you calories and sugar but nothing else, e.g. boiled sweets, gummy bears) - nothing wrong with having a few every now and then if the rest of your diet includes all the nutrition your body needs and you log the calories.

People don't fit neatly into categories. The diet of someone who does IIFYM properly is probably no different than someone who eats 80/20 clean or even 90/10 clean. And re the assumption about the SAD - a lot of people on this site are not even American... I eat a combination of Arabic, British, American and Indian food... that might be considered to be typically British but it's not typically American. And my diet contains plenty of protein, moderate amounts of fat and carbs, plenty of vitamins and minerals (I try to get my 7 servings of fruit and veg a day - as advised by the British health authorities) and also plenty of fibre. And I drink lots of water. So if I'm going to go to KFC or Dairy Queen or get Lebanese or Iranian takeaway once a week or once a fortnight, then I'll see that as a boost to my protein intake and a reason to be careful with fats and carbs for the rest of the day. I call it IIFYM, someone else will call how I eat 80/20 clean. Point is I'm happy and healthy and my way of eating is sustainable. And I get to eat DQ chocolate chunk frozen yoghurt every couple of weeks or so. and also that people don't fit neatly into categories regarding how they eat.

Most of what is perceived by the OP and other people on this thread as "bashing healthy eating" is actually an attempt to counteract dichotomous thinking, i.e. getting people to realise that a healthy diet is about balance and that it's possible to be healthy and lose weight and eat foods classified as "junk" by some, and that there's no reason to deprive yourself as long as you're careful about fitting it into your macro and calorie goals.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    I like this phrase "Everytime you eat you are either feeding disease or preventing it." I think that's good food for thought. I remind myself of this when I want something processed and relatively unhealthy.
    Some foods will do both. Some food will do neither. Food for thought - I would suggest it's a really rather silly phrase!
    t pressure others to justify why they eat the way they do even if the diet of choice is casually mentioned in passing.
    Again, I never see that.
    If someone recommends the way they eat as solution to a problem which isn't proven, I will likely ask for evidence.
    Unfortunately a lot of people DO think that asking for proof, evidence and so on is "bashing".

I think the reason it's often viewed as bashing is because it comes off as being very confrontational, rather than curious. Why is someone saying that Paleo/clean/low-carb/etc. etc. etc. might be useful/helpful because of either anecdotal evidence ("It worked for me") or because they read or heard something somewhere, it's just a suggestion. No one asks people to justify or prove their suggestions when those suggestions are to work out, or count calories, or IIFYM, or everything in moderation, etc.
    If someone was saying this is the ONLY solution, then I'd agree with asking why they think that. If it's just a suggestion or someone mentioning this is what they do, why should they need to provide evidence?

Also, I've NEVER seen anyone on MFP saying you HAVE to eat clean, or Paleo, or any of the "fringe" diets. I have however seen people acting and talking as if moderation, etc. is the only way to go. If you have had bad experiences with someone who's clean/Paleo/etc. then I'm sorry, but to be honest in all of the clean eating threads I've seen lately, I've not seen a single clean eater saying you have to eat this way, or can't eat that, etc.

Is it possible that you feel a bit out of place because you do not subscribe to the primary purpose of this site, which is calorie counting for as long as you can stomach it? If a new user is asking about clean eating, yes, she will likely get asked why she is doing this. IMO the participants are slacking off if they do not ask this question. It is important to find out if, especially a newer member feels she NEEDS to eat clean to lose weight. And if she does, she can be advised that she indeed doesn't , and simply needs to eat at a caloric deficit. Now whether or not she chooses to take that advise after reviewing her personal situation, as an adult is apt to do, is up to her, but I would have you refer to the dozens of posts right here on this thread about "falling off" and generally low compliance to restrictive diets. If you really think we should simply help her with her specific question and mind our business on everything else, you may be on the wrong site

BUT, she wasn't asking about clean eating or how to eat clean or even asking for advice on clean eating. She was asking about vegetables. The fact others had to grill her on clean eating because she wants ways to work vegetables into her diet does not fit into what you are suggesting. This type of thing happens over and over.
  • jmv7117
    Options
    How is this thread still going.

To be fair a lot of the threads that cause this type of debate are not posted by people clean eating, there posted by people who take issue with others doing something different.

The other day a thread was posted to flame bait and for the first couple of pages the clean eaters weren't taking the bait - some of the posts on page two were actually asking where all the clean eaters were, because they just wanted to bash them!

^^^^^THIS
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Some people want to claim "their" food choices are specifically "healthy" and others not.

Me, I think that's a narrow minded "unhealthy" concept that isn't congruent with reality.generally.

Maybe you are the one with the unhealthy obsession with the word.

Just because one food is healthy it doesn't mean that food that are not healthy are unhealthy.

Maybe people need to be less literal with their interpretation of words.
  • ravenstar25
    ravenstar25 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Because it's okay to eat the "processed" foods that are in the American diet, and that is not what makes "us" fat. Over eating is what makes people fat. "Healthy" eating is bashed because it has become, or perhaps always was, a way for self-righteous people to go around brow-beating and nagging all their friends - often friends who are healthier and thinner than they are.
  • ravenstar25
    Options
    And I still go back to my basic question: what makes food "clean" and "dirty?" It's a ridiculously judgmental way of looking at food and can lead to disordered ways of thinking about food. If the bodybuilding set is loaded with EDs (as I've seen people here claim--not my assertion) and they are among the most vocal proponents of eating "clean," isn't there some kind of association between the two? I'm not saying that "clean" eating created the disordered thinking, but is it not possible that 1) yes it did and 2) that people with already disordered thinking about food are attracted to "clean" eating, as well as 3) some people believing that it is an effective and sustainable lifestyle that promotes weight loss and better health?

Dropping food on the floor makes it dirty :)
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Just because one food is healthy it doesn't mean that food that are not healthy are unhealthy.

Tell that to the people who come here posting about "addictive" sugar, "toxic" processed foods, "poison" grains, and on and on.
  • ravenstar25
    Options
    And in interest of a personal illustration of why the "processed foods make you fat - clean/healthy eating makes you thinner" is a fallacy - I stayed fat for years while avoiding all fast food restaurants, being a vegetarian, and making meals from scratch at home. All I had to do was have a large plate and second helpings of my healthy home cooked food.
  • jmv7117
    Options

Tell that to the people who come here posting about "addictive" sugar, "toxic" processed foods, "poison" grains, and on and on.

Except, it is anyone that merely mentions they eat clean or eat healthy that are bashed NOT just the ones posting about the topics you've mentioned. I certainly could go on and on about why certain foods or additives are not the healthy choice BUT I don't here and I don't push my food beliefs here. Eat what you want. I respect your decision to eat as you choose. It is too bad other who choose not to eat clean cannot respect my choice to eat the way I choose.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Why the assumption that the people who were asking her why she eats clean all eat the SAD?

Dichotomous thinking is faulty logic and leads to long drawn-out threads like these.

Dichotomous thinking = putting people (or things) into one of two categories, generally two extremes... people in this debate get polarised into "IIFYM/junk food warriors/people who eat nothing but junk" and "clean eaters/healthy eaters/people who systematically avoid all junk food" - your assumption that anyone who's questioning someone who says they eats clean must be eating the standard American diet is the result of such dichotomous thinking. And it's bad logic.... just because someone advises people that they can enjoy some "junk" food so long as they stick to their macro and calorie goals, it does not mean they themselves eat huge amounts of junk food, or that they're advising others to eat huge amounts of junk food....just that they can eat it if it fits in their calorie/macro goals.

It's interesting that the clean eaters who exercise dichotomous thinking with regards to people who advise others they don't have to give up all "junk" food, also have dichotomous thinking about food, i.e. classifying food into "healthy" and "junk" and striving to get all their diet from the "healthy" category and abstain from the "junk" category............ but foods don't fit into two extremes like this...... food generally falls on a continuum from extremely nutritious to empty calories. And most of the food that's classified as "Junk" doesn't actually fall at the empty calories end of the scale either... burgers are very nutritious - they contain protein, fats, carbohydrates, vitamins and minerals. The problem is that they're easy to overeat on and they don't contain much fibre. A diet consisting of only burgers is going to be unbalanced, and therefore unhealthy. But if you're getting fibre from other sources and a wider range of vitamins and minerals from other sources, then including a burger in your diet, while also watching your calories, is not unhealthy. Even foods that are genuinely empty calories (meaning they give you calories and sugar but nothing else, e.g. boiled sweets, gummy bears) - nothing wrong with having a few every now and then if the rest of your diet includes all the nutrition your body needs and you log the calories.

People don't fit neatly into categories. The diet of someone who does IIFYM properly is probably no different than someone who eats 80/20 clean or even 90/10 clean. And re the assumption about the SAD - a lot of people on this site are not even American... I eat a combination of Arabic, British, American and Indian food... that might be considered to be typically British but it's not typically American. And my diet contains plenty of protein, moderate amounts of fat and carbs, plenty of vitamins and minerals (I try to get my 7 servings of fruit and veg a day - as advised by the British health authorities) and also plenty of fibre. And I drink lots of water. So if I'm going to go to KFC or Dairy Queen or get Lebanese or Iranian takeaway once a week or once a fortnight, then I'll see that as a boost to my protein intake and a reason to be careful with fats and carbs for the rest of the day. I call it IIFYM, someone else will call how I eat 80/20 clean. Point is I'm happy and healthy and my way of eating is sustainable. And I get to eat DQ chocolate chunk frozen yoghurt every couple of weeks or so. and also that people don't fit neatly into categories regarding how they eat.

Most of what is perceived by the OP and other people on this thread as "bashing healthy eating" is actually an attempt to counteract dichotomous thinking, i.e. getting people to realise that a healthy diet is about balance and that it's possible to be healthy and lose weight and eat foods classified as "junk" by some, and that there's no reason to deprive yourself as long as you're careful about fitting it into your macro and calorie goals.

god lord this is a fantastic post. seriously- I MAY save this and post it for future reference- unless you saved it and will do the same.

That was a good 5 minutes well worth writing up.

seriously- where is the motherloading LIKE button.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Again, I never see that.

How about looking at the other side of it, check the advice given to the 378 male that eats out for every meal, here's one bit of what someone told him:
    Start off easy:
    no sugar
    no fried foods
    No white carbs-flour products
    Then as you start to lose weight you wil learn more and more about eating whole non-processed foods.

How is that healthy for him? How is that good advice? Do you really think he's going to be able to make those drastic changes over night and why would that even be suggested?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1268053-obese-and-need-help?hl=obese+help&page=2#posts-19763171

So healthy for him is focus on his caloric intake and start dropping some weight... but yet he was given extremes
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Except, it is anyone that merely mentions they eat clean or eat healthy that are bashed NOT just the ones posting about the topics you've mentioned. I certainly could go on and on about why certain foods or additives are not the healthy choice BUT I don't here and I don't push my food beliefs here. Eat what you want. I respect your decision to eat as you choose. It is too bad other who choose not to eat clean cannot respect my choice to eat the way I choose.

you have said this about twenty times in this thread and you still fail to define what you mean by "bash" or provide one example of it...

if someone says "I eat 100% clean"..then most likely response is going to be "how do you define clean" and "what foods are clean"....if one does not eat pizza and follows clean eating, does that mean I am a "dirty eater" because I eat pizza. I think the problem people have with "clean eating" is that it assumes that everyone who does not follow "clean eating" is somehow a "dirty junk food eater"....

So how is it bashing by someone who does not eat clean to question what is actually meant by clean eating? When in fact you could probably make the reverse argument, which is that the clean eaters are really the ones that are bashing everyone that does not eat "clean" by implying that all non clean eaters are dirty.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Again, I never see that.

BUT, she wasn't asking about clean eating or how to eat clean or even asking for advice on clean eating. She was asking about vegetables. The fact others had to grill her on clean eating because she wants ways to work vegetables into her diet does not fit into what you are suggesting. This type of thing happens over and over.

I see that thread referenced a lot in this thread an all I can say about it is: Really? That's the example you want to use?

The OP titled the thread about clean eating and not liking vegetables. Even if clean eating wasn't mentioned in the OP, it was in the title, which makes it fair game. Isn't it possible that maybe, just maybe, the people "grilling" the OP (and I'll even give you that I'm sure it got snarky) were doing so because the OP was setting him/herself up for failure?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I've been going through lots of posts, and I see this very often: "It doesn't matter what you eat, losing weight is a matter of taking in fewer calories than you use" or "If it fits your macros, then all is fine". Isn't losing weight a part of getting healthy (or healthier) for most people? If that assumption is true (and after reading some of these posts, I'm not sure it is), then why does everyone say it is OK to eat all the processed foods that are in the American diet and has lead us, as a nation, to be the fattest industrialized nation on earth? And we know obesity contributes to diabetes, heart disease, stroke....not exactly what I would call healthy.

I'm not advocating not having a treat if you want it (this from someone who had some chocolate ice cream last night). But I don't see how eating fast foods and processed foods in the quantities offered out there can possibly be healthy. And so many people on MFP don't just say it is OK, but seem to encourage their consumption.

Just wondering.....

What if I told you....

*insert Morpheus gif*

They aren't bashing healthy diets. They are bashing twisted views of "healthy."
  • errorika
    errorika Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Because proccesed food is not what is getting people fat. To much food and not enough activity is what is getting people fat.

Thank you.
  • SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Goddamn it I haven't been here since about page eight. Can someone sum up what I missed? >_<