Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Because people keep posting in it? ;)
    People want to eat healthy food, so what?

Some people want to claim "their" food choices are specifically "healthy" and others not.

Me, I think that's a narrow minded "unhealthy" concept that isn't congruent with reality.generally.

Maybe you are the one with the unhealthy obsession with the word.

Just because one food is healthy it doesn't mean that food that are not healthy are unhealthy.

Maybe people need to be less literal with their interpretation of words.

Tell that to the people who come here posting about "addictive" sugar, "toxic" processed foods, "poison" grains, and on and on.

The other stuff I'll give you, but sugar addiction is a thing. One can become addicted to literally anything. No chemical component needed. Bulimics are addicted to puking their guts up and there's certainly no checmical component or anything even remotely attractive about that.

Same old tired argument. Still not true. :yawn:

ad·dic·tion
    noun \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\

: a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)

: an unusually great interest in something or a need to do or have something

Go have it out with Merriam-Webster then, and stop wasting people's time with snarky nonsense.

First off, if sugar were truly addictive, then those addicted to sugar would be walking around with sugar packets in their pockets to be prepared for when they need their next fix. Funny how no one does that.

That said, you can say "addicted to [insert food]" casually as in "man I really can't stop myself from eating that thing." But words have power. People who seemingly can't control their ability to stop eating something can either fall back on that mythical "addiction" and be powerless, or they can butch up and decide to stop eating that thing or learn to moderate their intake.

So there's some logic to go with my snarky nonsense. I suspect you will respond in about the same way.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

Some people want to claim "their" food choices are specifically "healthy" and others not.

Me, I think that's a narrow minded "unhealthy" concept that isn't congruent with reality.generally.

Just because one food is healthy it doesn't mean that food that are not healthy are unhealthy.

And some people need to be more precise with their word choices.

I'm going to go with more precise.

Wittgenstein was right when he said that most philosophical differences would be resolved if people's language was more precise...

If it weren't for the fact that Wittgenstein, himself, refuted his picture theory of language for a more fluid, experience and practice based theory....

He was entitled to be wrong at that point given his fine earlier work.

I'll let him off...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

And some people need to be more precise with their word choices.

I'm going to go with more precise.

Wittgenstein was right when he said that most philosophical differences would be resolved if people's language was more precise...

If it weren't for the fact that Wittgenstein, himself, refuted his picture theory of language for a more fluid, experience and practice based theory....

I'll let him off...

:laugh:

(Isn't it fascinating how many philosophers (and scientists and theologians and mathematicians and similar) question their own teachings and beliefs very late in their own lives?)
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

Tell that to the people who come here posting about "addictive" sugar, "toxic" processed foods, "poison" grains, and on and on.

The other stuff I'll give you, but sugar addiction is a thing. One can become addicted to literally anything. No chemical component needed. Bulimics are addicted to puking their guts up and there's certainly no checmical component or anything even remotely attractive about that.

Well, there is certainly evidence that sugar is harmful to the body. It seems to me that anyone can become addicted to anything that releases endorphins because it makes them feel good and they want to continue feeling good. The root cause of any addition is chemical as the chemicals in the brain that cause the person to want more of that feeling.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    sugar = most stuff that ends in -ose.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    noun \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\

: a strong and harmful need to regularly have something (such as a drug) or do something (such as gamble)

Go have it out with Merriam-Webster then, and stop wasting people's time with snarky nonsense.

First off, if sugar were truly addictive, then those addicted to sugar would be walking around with sugar packets in their pockets to be prepared for when they need their next fix. Funny how no one does that.

That said, you can say "addicted to [insert food]" casually as in "man I really can't stop myself from eating that thing." But words have power. People who seemingly can't control their ability to stop eating something can either fall back on that mythical "addiction" and be powerless, or they can butch up and decide to stop eating that thing or learn to moderate their intake.

So there's some logic to go with my snarky nonsense. I suspect you will respond in about the same way.

Here's the thing though. I know it exists, because I've been there and went through it. Sugar packets? Nah. My delivery method of choice was Coke. Typically a 12 pack a day or more, for many years. I just about existed on sugar intake alone. Couldn't sleep at night because I had so much sugar pumping through me, again for many years. There was never a need to carry sugar packets because what I needed was only a 2 minute car trip away

I broke that cycle by going as low-sugar as possible at the start. No soda, no fruit, no bread. Anything that had a good bit of sugar went, and I felt like hammered *kitten* for a few days until my body adjusted. I've worked the fruit back in and have a Coke Zero about once a day or so now, and feel like a brand new person. I can respect differing opinions, but on this one, anyone who hasn't gone through that particular fight and wants to dismiss it as non-existant can quite frankly kiss my a**
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options

(Isn't it fascinating how many philosophers (and scientists and theologians and mathematicians and similar) question their own teachings and beliefs very late in their own lives?)

Lulz - the whole "Road to Damascus" type thing.

Never trust someone who has never changed their mind or has claimed never to be wrong ;)
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I'll let him off...

I think a real philosopher would be constantly questioning- and truly revising all the time.

I would doubt anyone who claimed to be so without every having reconsidered anything they ever said.
  • chloematilds
    chloematilds Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    was it plato or aristotle that questioned his philosophical ideas in his late life
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    noun \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\

Here's the thing though. I know it exists, because I've been there and went through it. Sugar packets? Nah. My delivery method of choice was Coke. Typically a 12 pack a day or more, for many years. I just about existed on sugar intake alone. Couldn't sleep at night because I had so much sugar pumping through me, again for many years. There was never a need to carry sugar packets because what I needed was only a 2 minute car trip away

I broke that cycle by going as low-sugar as possible at the start. No soda, no fruit, no bread. Anything that had a good bit of sugar went, and I felt like hammered *kitten* for a few days until my body adjusted. I've worked the fruit back in and have a Coke Zero about once a day or so now, and feel like a brand new person. I can respect differing opinions, but on this one, anyone who hasn't gone through that particular fight and wants to dismiss it as non-existant can quite frankly kiss my a**

You felt bad because of the well-known "low-carb flu". I don't believe that sugar is addictive (any more than having fun is addictive) and yet when I suddenly and drastically decrease my carbs, I will feel "off" at best and "awful" at worst. This has nothing to do with sugar and everything to do with carbs in general. Your n=1 experience does not refute this in any way.
  • VoodooSyxx
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    noun \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\

You felt bad because of the well-known "low-carb flu". I don't believe that sugar is addictive (any more than having fun is addictive) and yet when I suddenly and drastically decrease my carbs, I will feel "off" at best and "awful" at worst. This has nothing to do with sugar and everything to do with carbs in general. Your n=1 experience does not refute this in any way.

Who said I went low carb and hard low-carb flu? My carbs then and now are consistently around 100g a day. And fun can be addictive. Exercise can be addictive. Being obsessive at counting calories can be addicitve. Literally anything can be addicitve. there's no reason to dismiss peoples' experience just because it differs from your own.

Double-plus Edit: Before anyone accuses me of pushing my diet on others, I did what I had to do to get myself squared away. I'm not saying it's absolutely necessary or that anyone else must do things my way.
  • jmv7117
    Options

ad·dic·tion
    noun \ə-ˈdik-shən, a-\

Do you know any sugar junkies (for lack of a better term)? You would be surprised at how much sugar is kept within easy reach - candies in the glovebox, candies in the purse, chocolate bar in the purse, candy bowl on the table and desk, the sweets drawer, sweet drink in the car cupholder. So while they may not carry actual sugar packets although I know some who do, they carry sugar in other forms and have it close by all the time.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Do you know any sugar junkies (for lack of a better term)? You would be surprised at how much sugar is kept within easy reach - candies in the glovebox, candies in the purse, chocolate bar in the purse, candy bowl on the table and desk, the sweets drawer, sweet drink in the car cupholder. So while they may not carry actual sugar packets although I know some who do, they carry sugar in other forms and have it close by all the time.

While I typically don't jump on the "sugar is totally addicting" (because I think people need to get a grip- even if they are addicted it's not an excuse to keep doing said thing)...

BUT

this is true.

People stash crap all over- in their car /purse- i'ts pretty common for people with food issues. Not sugar packets- but definitely "stuff"
  • VoodooSyxx
    Options

While I typically don't jump on the "sugar is totally addicting" (because I think people need to get a grip- even if they are addicted it's not an excuse to keep doing said thing)...

BUT

this is true.

People stash crap all over- in their car /purse- i'ts pretty common for people with food issues. Not sugar packets- but definitely "stuff"

Now that I can fully agree with
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Well, there is certainly evidence that sugar is harmful to the body. It seems to me that anyone can become addicted to anything that releases endorphins because it makes them feel good and they want to continue feeling good. The root cause of any addition is chemical as the chemicals in the brain that cause the person to want more of that feeling.

Yes, all humans are addicted to happiness on account of the glucose our bodies need to function. Sounds legit.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Never trust someone who has never changed their mind or has claimed never to be wrong ;)

Never trust absolutes. Or Absolutists.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Never trust absolutes. Or Absolutists.

Always trust absolute esp when mixed with something yummy
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

And isn't there evidence that too little sugar is also harmful to the body? Almost like there needs to be some context to the discussion
  • jmv7117
    Options

And isn't there evidence that too little sugar is also harmful to the body? Almost like there needs to be some context to the discussion

By default, sugar addiction refers to too much sugar so the context is implied.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

By default, sugar addiction refers to too much sugar so the context is implied.

Oddly enough, at least here at MFP 100% of sugar addicts have subsequently stated they can indeed moderate their intake of sugar. Weird