Do you ever decline friend requests?

Options

Replies

• __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    If someone sends you a friend request but their profile is closed (except to friends) do you automatically accept or do you pass? I've noticed that my best MFP friends have open-to-friends diaries and profiles, like me. I don't necessarily need to be friends with someone my age or same sex...my friends are all over the place with age, for sure LOL But if someone friends me on MFP, it's nice to know where they're coming from with their weight loss story, their challenges, etc.

On that same note, when you see a profile with virtually nothing filled in, does that influence your friend approvals?

Just wondering how everyone sees friend requests here. I'm not into a popularity contest...just want to have good friends that can support each other every day.

A little message or note with the friend request is nice, although I have accepted when there has been none.

If I see the person seems to be just collecting friends like stamps, I don't accept.

I keep my friend list very small, otherwise my wall ends up getting comment-logged (if there is such a term lol).
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Options
    I only accept friend requests from people who write in why they want to be my friend. So.. if they saw a post of mine and we have something in common with our weight loss goals or journey, sure, I'll friend them. Although I did make a mistake of friending someone who was "into" being a nudist. I did reply to any private messages that I received, so I guess I was "unfriended".

I think I friended that guy too. I wouldn't have conversations about it so he went away eventually.
  • ModernNerd
    ModernNerd Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Yep. I decline any that don't include a message. Or if they are a collector. I try to keep my FL a managable size so I can interact and keep up. I don't need a huge FL to be my cheering section.

GIVE ME A P! GIVE ME AN A! GIVE ME AN N! AND A 'C-A-K-E C-A-T!' GOOOOOO PANCAKE CAT!

FL reppin', don't you worry :wink:
  • seashell709
    seashell709 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I have an open diary and I accept all friends request. I have deleted some of these people because of one or more of the following reasons.
    1. diary is closed
    2. eat less than 1200 calories a day I have had a couple that are around 900
    3. eat crap all the time (fast food and tons of candy) and still be under your calorie goal and not lose weight and complain about it.
    4. haven't logged in in over 1 months time
    5. try to get me to buy something or become a coach of something
    6. no pics or any activity with MFP (logging, etc)
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    I only accept FR and send FR to people I think can handle my awesomeness...

Sometimes I don't spread my awesomeness as evenly as I'd liked and people I like have come and gone.
  • silver_arrow3
    silver_arrow3 Posts: 1,373 Member
    Options
    I declined a few just today.

My profile is currently open. It says that I would like people to tell me where they've seen me and why they want to be friends. I mean, if we have zero in common, why should I add you? Those people had no friends in common, no threads in common, and sent blank FRs. Three strikes, right there.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Nah, I just accept everybody. I occasionally delete after the fact, generally when the person is promoting what I see as unhealthy habits, or they're really preachy about whatever magic thing they're trying.

I once accidentally declined a request on my ipad when my finger slipped.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I accept everyone... unless it comes with a message from some guy trying to hit on me. I'm not here for that, and don't really want to deal with it, so those automatically get declined.

I do delete people sometimes if they're posting a lot of things I don't really care to see. (Read: preachy, or whiny, or excessively judgmental.)
  • thebigcb
    thebigcb Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    Nope, never, think its rude
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I decline all blank friend requests. All it takes for me to accept is something like "I'm tall too!" or "<3 Veggies" or "Need motivation" and I'll add someone. Mostly, I want to know why they're adding me so that I know whether we have similar stats, similar food choices (vegetarian), or if they just think I seem fun.

I also unfriend anyone who doesn't log in for 30 days, because 30 days is more than "oh I was on vacation with no reception." Unless you take 30 day vacations. In which case.. screw you I want your life.
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I havent gotten that many friend requests but Ive accepted them all.... If theyve bothered to reach out to me, the least I can do is respond. I have not gotten any blank requests.... Having people to respond to makes this work better.
  • lizcraft
    lizcraft Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I don't reject friend requests. I am an open person but on here I was judged by a few people for my profile so I have closed it to my journaling of food. It is hard to hear negative things on here from someone that doesnot know you very well. They tend to put their opinions where it is a negative and that can cause people to quit this journey. People take things in their own way and time. They may be new or even scared to open up on here and that is ok. I think of others and accept their requests because I may very well be the one person that makes them have a positive or negative look on their journey by what I do. Everyone deserves positive people in their life and friends.

The only ones that I don't accept are people who come across creepy to me.
  • bd0027
    bd0027 Posts: 1,053 Member
    Options
    I usually accept, but the other day I denied someone. Some guy added a message that sounded promising at first, but then he went on to say that he loved to flirt and get dirty.

No thanks.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. Sometimes.
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I also decline friend requests without any note or message. All the person has to say is "I saw you on a thread, or hello," or anything. Then once I friend them and I can see their profile I look it over in terms of compatibility so if someone is very opposite who I am, I will unfriend them, but it's very rare for me to see someone like that. I think it's happened once. I'm here to lose weight, and I am fortunate to have a lot of very supportive, like minded (about food) friends on my list. I usually give it a while to see what kind of person the newly friended person is. If they're judgmental or negative and attack people, I don't keep them around.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I decline those without a note or the ones where it's clear the other person only wants to be friends with me to further their MLM scheme. Other than that, I'm always happy to have new friends, especially if they like to chat.
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    I also decline friend requests without any note or message. All the person has to say is "I saw you on a thread, or hello," or anything. Then once I friend them and I can see their profile I look it over in terms of compatibility so if someone is very opposite who I am, I will unfriend them, but it's very rare for me to see someone like that. I think it's happened once. I'm here to lose weight, and I am fortunate to have a lot of very supportive, like minded (about food) friends on my list. I usually give it a while to see what kind of person the newly friended person is. If they're judgmental or negative and attack people, I don't keep them around.

Same for me ;) My profile clearly states that I don't accept people who don't give a reason - it's like my version of an IQ test....4 people have failed this week already.
  • GatorUA
    GatorUA Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I love the "IQ test" aspect! That's great!
  • pammerz88
    pammerz88 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

This is exactly how I am!
  • stiobhard
    stiobhard Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I don't reject friend requests. I am an open person but on here I was judged by a few people for my profile so I have closed it to my journaling of food. It is hard to hear negative things on here from someone that doesnot know you very well.

this was my policy until recently. I had an open diary when I started and people jumped me in the nearest alley. So I closed it. This week I reopened it since a a couple people requested I do so... and its been fine so far.

I really have a difficult time deciphering other people's diaries so I do not know how useful it is for people to see mine.