What do you do with discarded egg yolks?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Every time someone throws out a perfectly good egg yolk and eats just the whites, I kick a puppy.*

Seriously, people, stop wasting delicious egg yolks.

Do it for the puppies.

(* Oh, relax...I don't actually kick cute puppies...

...I kick the ugly puppies. (What do you think I am, some kind of barbarian that would kick cute puppies?) :huh: )
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Is buying egg whites in a box the same as separating the yolk out from eggs?

Nope. Egg white in a box are unclean, and therefore, will give you cancer. I learned that in the forums. :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    People please do not feed your dogs your left overs! It just as bad for them as it is for you! That is why they make DOG food... It has everything they need in it! Working as a vet tech for 8 years I have seen dogs and cats come in with health problems that could be avoided if the loving owners would just stick to dog food! I know you feel like you are treating them and you love them but you can love them into an early grave as well! ok rant over!!

Eggs are *good* nutrition for both people and dogs. I agree about not giving them leftovers in general, but eggs are an excellent meal for either species, *both* the whites and the yolk.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    good lord- holy necro thread.

but this... this is probably the best thing ever- and I know going into it- it's from 2011- and that it means nothing commenting on this- but I can't- I can't let it go....
    People please do not feed your dogs your left overs! It just as bad for them as it is for you! That is why they make DOG food... It has everything they need in it! Working as a vet tech for 8 years I have seen dogs and cats come in with health problems that could be avoided if the loving owners would just stick to dog food! I know you feel like you are treating them and you love them but you can love them into an early grave as well! ok rant over!!

as a vet tech you should know that a great deal of what we eat is dog friendly- most of the times if it's good for us- it's good for them. Secondly- that's why they make dog food? for real? people believe this?

no they make dog food because we have domesticated a hunting animal that no longer can hunt for itself- and it's to expensive to feed dogs what they REALLY eat ( you know- meat)... so we shove the mcdonalds version of food to them on a steady diet.

dog food is ten times worse than feeding your dog eggs.

Plus- don't' waste the yolk- just eat it- it's delicious.
  • benniesmother
    benniesmother Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I cooked them and give them to my dog. It is really good for them. He gets one a day. If you don't have a dog then just throw them away.

^^ thissssss!!!!
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    down the drain
  • NutritionDivaRD
    NutritionDivaRD Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Every time someone throws out a perfectly good egg yolk and eats just the whites, I kick a puppy.*

Seriously, people, stop wasting delicious egg yolks.

Do it for the puppies.

(* Oh, relax...I don't actually kick cute puppies...

...I kick the ugly puppies. (What do you think I am, some kind of barbarian that would kick cute puppies?) :huh: )

Ooooooooh, this made me chuckle! Really! So thank you for that! :)
  • MystikPixie
    MystikPixie Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    It's really not a bad idea to add at least one egg yolk. I use 1/2 cup of egg whites and one real egg. It's really not bad for ya. Only 137 calories and 4 grams of fat. You should really buy egg whites only though, throwing away all those yolks is just a big waste.
    did you ever compair the price buying egg whites is just a big waste.

It's only $2.00 for 32oz. of egg whites at Walmart. That's like 32 eggs for $2.00, not bad.

That's what I was going to say, a jug of Egg Whites is cheap. Much better than wasting all that yolk. Or just eat them, eggs yolks arent bad for you.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    There is so much egg hatred this week. Damn. What'd they ever do to you??

sad_egg.jpg
  • DamianaKitten
    DamianaKitten Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I would suggest eating the entire egg. There is a lot of nutrition in the yolk,not just fat.

https://www.incredibleegg.org/health-and-nutrition/egg-nutrients/nutrient-chart

If you're looking to cut fat, I'd cut it out in some other area.

Agreed. While the whites do provide protein, they don't provide much else.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/112/2
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options

Funny.
    Most dog foods are not dog- but bird food.
    So unless you use one of the best brands available you are not treating your dog as what he is - a carnivore.
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I haven't started buying prepared egg whites yet, so I'm separating the egg white from the yolk and using just the egg white for my breakfast sandwich. I won't be using the egg yolks - custards just aren't worth the fat calories for me - so what do I do with them? What's the best way to get rid of them?

I eat them because I see no reason to discard them since they are full of nutrients. I make hard boiled for my salads or mix whole eggs with 100% eggwhites for the omelet or scramble.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    1342621600180_8193950.png
  • jennk5309
    jennk5309 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    They fill me up, so I eat them! But okay, if you don't want to eat them then I suggest buying liquid egg whites and cooking 1/4 cup of that for your breakfast sandwich.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Eat the whole egg. The yolk is where the nutrients are. Try to find eggs at your local farmer's market. Pastured eggs are a billion times better for you than factory farmed ones and they taste so much better.

Or better yet get some chickens. I have 6 laying hens and 11 pullets. They're a great pet. What other small pet feeds you?
  • afortunatedragon
    afortunatedragon Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why people don't just eat the whole egg.
    What is wrong with it?
    I eat all egg.
    Actually I would find it disguisting to by a carton of egg white.
    Who knows what is really inside?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Is buying egg whites in a box the same as separating the yolk out from eggs?

Nope. Egg white in a box are unclean, and therefore, will give you cancer. I learned that in the forums. :flowerforyou:

I'm pretty sure everything gives you cancer now-a-days.. Hahah. :laugh:

wrongness.gif

:laugh: :flowerforyou:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I don't understand why people don't just eat the whole egg.
    What is wrong with it?
    I eat all egg.
    Actually I would find it disguisting to by a carton of egg white.
    Who knows what is really inside?

It's on the label, I'm sure, but I have no intention of finding out. Eggs are relatively cheap, and they're quick, easy, and versatile. Oh, and it's "clean eating." MFP bonus points!
  • SoosannahK
    SoosannahK Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I cooked them and give them to my dog. It is really good for them. He gets one a day. If you don't have a dog then just throw them away.

This ^^^ I very seldom eat a yolk unless it is in a deviled egg or egg salad. I just don't like the taste of them. My dogs however love them I cook them up for them scrambled or give them the yolks of a hard boiled egg, just depending on how I fix them. If no dog is present, toss them.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    My dog loves them and his coat is so shiny that it's blinding sometimes.