Dr. OZ Detox

Options

Replies

• aem91409
    aem91409 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to drop this off again....

Your TDEE just sitting in an office chair all day is ~1800. Throw in exercise it's over 2K.

If you're only eating 1200 calories, gross, you're probably running 600-900 deficit, if not more.

Why would MFP tell me that's what I need?

MFP gave you your base calorie needed using the info you input - AND when you set up your goals, you did them wrong. You aren't sedentary, you do not sit on a couch all day doing absolutely nothing. And you probably said you want to lose 2lbs per week, which only an obese person should enter.

Change your goals to more realistic goals:
    lightly active
    lose 1 pound per week
    and eat back 50% your exercise calories (at least)

My BMI did come back as obese, so yes I did want to lose 2 pounds per week.

@ 5'3" 157# - your BMI is 27.8 overweight - not obese - and BMI calculators are basically crap.

I'm not trying to be mean - just giving you some very helpful info.

When I STARTED, my BMI was at obese.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

@ 5'3" 157# - your BMI is 27.8 overweight - not obese - and BMI calculators are basically crap.

BMI is still crap

<<<<<Says the guy who tips at obese.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Your TDEE just sitting in an office chair all day is ~1800. Throw in exercise it's over 2K.

If you're only eating 1200 calories, gross, you're probably running 600-900 deficit, if not more.

That's fine and as we go along and get more fit we have to change our goals to match

MFP gave you your base calorie needed using the info you input - AND when you set up your goals, you did them wrong. You aren't sedentary, you do not sit on a couch all day doing absolutely nothing. And you probably said you want to lose 2lbs per week, which only an obese person should enter.

lightly active
    lose 1 pound per week

You need to change your goals as you get closer to goal weight
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    It could be that for the first 3 months your body had enough energy stores to make up for the deficit. Now that its used it up, it needs more calories. Im eating 1800-1900 calories a day and generally eat back at least some of my exercise calories and Im losing 1-2 lbs per week. Im fairly inactive (a lot more inactive than one would expect a mom of 4 to be :blushing: )

This works well for me, some days Im hungry, but trust me, if I go below 1700 cals a day Im utterly useless.... you were going to try a 3 day detox... if you're willing to try one random idea why not try another... for 1 month bump up your calories... even to 1600 and see how it goes

(5'7 sw 210 cw 191 110 days)
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

That's fine and as we go along and get more fit we have to change our goals to match

lightly active
    lose 1 pound per week

You need to change your goals as you get closer to goal weight

Pfffft. Logic. :happy:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options

MFP often has the annoying habit of spitting out recommendations of 1200 calorie goals. You say you've lost 12 lbs. Over what time frame? And what rate of loss did you set MFP for?

It's taken me about 3 months. I have it set at 2 pounds per week, but I average at about 1 pound per week, sometimes less sometimes more though.

You have 37 lbs to lose. You should set your goal to 1 lb a week...the closer to goal the closer to maintenance you should be eating.

If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal

THIS ^^
  • aem91409
    Options
    It could be that for the first 3 months your body had enough energy stores to make up for the deficit. Now that its used it up, it needs more calories. Im eating 1800-1900 calories a day and generally eat back at least some of my exercise calories and Im losing 1-2 lbs per week. Im fairly inactive (a lot more inactive than one would expect a mom of 4 to be :blushing: )

This works well for me, some days Im hungry, but trust me, if I go below 1700 cals a day Im utterly useless.... you were going to try a 3 day detox... if you're willing to try one random idea why not try another... for 1 month bump up your calories... even to 1600 and see how it goes

Because bumping up my calories scares the crap out of me! Like I said I'm doing well with my weight loss and I'm happy with it. :ohwell:
    Just don't want to mess it up.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I don't want to mess up my roll that I'm on, because I'm feeling pretty good!
    If your plan is working why would you mess with it by doing some stupid detox? Geezus

+1. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options

Because bumping up my calories scares the crap out of me! Like I said I'm doing well with my weight loss and I'm happy with it. :ohwell:

Fine...but in another month when you stall because it is time to reduce the calories your body needs have fun getting the last 10-15 pounds off at 900 calories a day... just saying.

It makes more sense to lose weight at the highest calorie intake possible and reduce from there not the lowest possible with nowhere else to go.
  • AmandaLY17
    AmandaLY17 Posts: 184 Member
    Options

its 1600 calories a day. you arent going to gain a tonne of weight, its not possible. one month. thats all. it doesnt work, go back to what was working. Hundreds of people on here say the exact same thing as I am... do you really think that hundreds of people (with the experience to back it up) are wrong?
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Of course you can read the advice here and make your own decisions about your diet. No one here can force you to eat more. But increasing your calories by a little bit now will help you to transition into maintenance later, will help to preserve your lean muscle mass and bone density, will help you to fit enough vitamins and nutrients into your day in case you are deficient in something, will help to fuel your gym performance and increase your stamina so that you can burn more calories, and you get more tasty food.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Of course you can read the advice here and make your own decisions about your diet. No one here can force you to eat more. But increasing your calories by a little bit now will help you to transition into maintenance later, will help to preserve your lean muscle mass and bone density, will help you to fit enough vitamins and nutrients into your day in case you are deficient in something, will help to fuel your gym performance and increase your stamina so that you can burn more calories, and you get more tasty food.

Again with the logic! Pffft. :wink:
  • zilfig64
    zilfig64 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Then be patient - just keep eating at a deficit. Redo your goals on MFP since you have lost more than 10 pounds to adjust to the changes in your body.

And anything promoted by Dr. Oz is complete crap. Every post on here with his name shoudl be automatically deleted!
  • sloth3toes
    sloth3toes Posts: 2,212 Member
    Options
    I'm surprised no one has mentioned you opening your diary, yet. There are a lot of very experienced MFP's who can critique your food diary, and give you some pretty accurate info, about what and how much you're eating. Opening your food diary would be a big help to people trying to help you.

That said... are you eating back your exercise calories, or eating 1200 and exercising without eating back exercise calories?

If your MFP goal is set to 2 lbs a week, that's a 1,000 calorie a day deficit. Which for the relatively small amount of weight you want to lose, is huge. That said, since you are losing about 1 lb per week, you MAY actually be netting a pretty reasonable amount of calories. If you're eating more than you think.

Here's two more links to go with the sexypants link.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think?hl=probably+eating+more+than+you+think

The fact that you are open to suggestion makes this a very pleasant thread.

Good%20Thread.gif

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options

So add one extra snack a day and leave everything else alone. An extra 200 calorie bump that you can use to meet any short falls (mine last night was turkey sausage links because I usually eat way too little fat and protein). It could be as simple as adding a protein shake first thing in the morning or having a yogurt as dessert. See if you feel better and if the weight continues to come off.
  • aem91409
    Options

So add one extra snack a day and leave everything else alone. An extra 200 calorie bump that you can use to meet any short falls (mine last night was turkey sausage links because I usually eat way too little fat and protein). It could be as simple as adding a protein shake first thing in the morning or having a yogurt as dessert. See if you feel better and if the weight continues to come off.

Yeah I changed my goal to a pound a week and it only bumped me up an extra 110 calories so I'll give it a shot :smile:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

lightly active
    lose 1 pound per week

That's not you in the profile picture then?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Oh, there we go. Someone went back to the beginning of the thread....Yeah, OP, you are NOT obese, just a little overweight, and not at all "dangerously" so. With your current stats and lifestyle, it's no wonder you are tired on 1200 calories. When I started MFP, it wanted me on 1200, but I immediately increased it to 1500, then a few days later increased it to 1700, then 1900, and now I'm maintaining on 2500 calories. When I go to cut again, I will drop it to 2100.
  • Dogwalkingirl
    Dogwalkingirl Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I don't understand the Dr. OZ appeal. He is a quack. Why would anyone trust anything from someone who actually looks like Satan?