WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options
barbiecat
barbiecat Posts: 16,976 Member
1637915t5b45fhf5m.gif

:bigsmile: Welcome to a community of supportive and encouraging women. The title says Women Ages 50+ but all women are welcome. The journey to health, weight loss, energy, well-being, and longevity is best taken with others who share our goals and values.

:flowerforyou: I hope you will check in here daily and share what’s going on, respond to each other, and ask questions.

:flowerforyou: How did you do with your goals and resolutions for April?

:flowerforyou: What goals and resolutions have you set for May?

:flowerforyou: Please sign your posts with your name (or alias)and your location so we can get to know each other better.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

April Resolutions (with end of month comments)
*add leg lifts with ankle weights to weight training (good for one day and no weight training since):cry:
*do weight training and yoga on alternate days (did great for a few days and now nothing):cry:
*don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good (that helped me relax about not doing yoga and weight training because of yard work and extra dancing):bigsmile:
*work in the yard 30 minutes four days a week (awesome---an hour a day three or four days a week):bigsmile:

May Resolutions
*brush the dogs’ teeth once a week or more
*yoga once a week
*plank twice a week
*finish updating “important personal information” document

My word for 2014 is “mindful”

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."

Replies

• linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,147 Member
    Options
    Happy May Day..............:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Lin in Central Iowa
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,385 Member
    Options
    Wasn't sure about the weather, so this morning I did the Rebounder DVD that I have and then went to the deep water class. Normally, I go to yoga and then the deep water, but my thought (isn't this sad?) was that "what if they don't have the deep water, let me at least do the Rebounder DVD at home so that I get some exercise in in case they don't have the deep water class". They did have the class, and I'll just do that rebounder DVD again Friday. Boy, I really feel like an exercise addict. I was torn as to whether I should do the DVD at home, then this monring I decided to do both since the weather didn't look all that bad. Glad I did, I like the water class.

Tomorrow I'm planning to do the Jari Love Slim & Lean DVD. Then we have lunch with the Newcomers. They're going to O'Charley's. I looked online at their menu. Most of the items on it are astronomical calorie-wise. But it seem that they do have a grilled chicken breast on the children's menu. And if I can't get that, I'll get the petite serloin. The only decent veges I could find were asparagus and (I think it was) the broccoli. Well, if I get them both, that should fill me up pretty well.

After the deep water class stopped at Big Lots to see about rye bread for Vince (their's is usually cheaper). Lately, they haven't had any rye bread. Oh well..... But I did find this float for the pool. The one I have, the thing I don't like about it is the fact that the sides are inflated but not very wide, so it constantly collapses into the pool. I'm going to try this one, looks like the sides are wider. Then I bought gas, paid something like $3.36 a gallon (I got 25 cents per gallon off so that's why I bought it)

Rori - I remember MIL and FIL referring to their neighbors as "you know, Duke (the dog)'s owner". So sorry to hear of your friend.

jb - have a safe trip. That's so nice that you try to get to see your mom regularly

I tell ya, the temperature has been wacky. Yesterday was so chilly, I had a long sleeved sweater on. This morning I put one on, went out to get the paper, and decided that a short sleeved sweater was called for.

Joyce - I do hope that bad weather has passed you by.

Heather - I love to read your menus. We're invited to a friend's house this Sunday and I will take something with me (of course, she'll say that I don't need to). You give me great ideas of things to take. Sounds like you have a good plan on what you'll be eating. Loved reading all about how you and hubby met.

DeeDee - I don't think you even need makeup, so don't stress over not having any on. I didn't hear any thunder last night, but I'm a leavy sleeper. Vince said he didn't either, and he's a very light sleeper. Lexi runs downstairs at the first rumble of thunder and she was upstairs all night.

Cindy - what a trajedy! I will surely give Jessica and Denise a big hug when I see them. Wish I could hug Bryan (or at least talk to him)

NC Carol - that place sounds awesome

Cindy - won't your high school classmates be surprised? Oh, the sunburn is fine now. I mainly felt it on Monday when I was doing lunges, but can't even feel it now. Guess it didn't get badly burned

Vicki - have a great time at the concert and fun at the fundraiser

Joyce - what a lovely story about how you and Charlie got together! Warmed my heart

Michele in NC
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Saving my place:bigsmile: !

Have a great night everyone! Sleep well and sweet dreams:yawn: !!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee :yawn: in very pleasant NC
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks Barbie for taking us into May

Bump for now
    Juanita in sudbury
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbie: Thanks for starting us off on the right foot for May! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

I had a great time today. DH went to the acupuncturist and we went to Portland Nursery where I bought two plants, Dicentra (Bleeding Hearts) ‘King of Hearts’ and Aquilegia (Columbine) Red and White. They’re tucked into the flowerbed by my front walk. I also spent some time on the sailboat, cleaning up. There is plenty more of that to do.:tongue::wink:

Here is my “Report Card” for April:
    April Goals:

1. Log every bite and swallow::ohwell:
    I did a sloppy job a few times, but logged every day. I haven’t been sloppy before and I’m vowing not to be sloppy again in May.
    2. Move more: cardio at least 3 days a week and strength training when able::noway:
    I will not be adding strength training any time soon. I did have an acupuncture treatment that did wonders for my shoulders and I’m not having pain like I was for the much of the past year. Cardio is another matter.:bigsmile: I did a fine job with it and plan to continue with yoga and riding my bike, as well as walking.
    3. Find a way to have fun at least once every day: :smile:
    I made this most days. I did fall into a funk for a while this month but worked my way out of it.
    4. Water: Pay attention to water intake and drink frequently during the day::blushing:
    This was a fuzzy goal with a fuzzy outcome. I need to be specific.

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Thanks Barbie
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    Had a sudden visit from DD and toddler after work today. Things are getting tough for her and she's just gettin plain worn out. She's got about 6 more weeks to go in her pregnancy and still teaching highschool.

I am pretty tired myself, so will check in again tomorrow- May 1st!

Renny
    Sunny and warm Vancouver Island, B.C.
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My husband came in from his walk today, wait did I tell this earlier?, and brought me a bouquet of dandelions. He said Hallmark made him do it!!! :love: :flowerforyou: :heart: So I took a picture of it and put it n facebook and showed it to him. A little later I could tell he was thinking about something and he jumps up, goes outside and gets some azaleas! Now the dandelions were 3 little flowers, one with a big stem. The only thing small enough for 3 flowers of that size was a toothpick holder and I guess he thought it looked pretty puny sitting there on the coffee table. So he got a few azaleas and arranged them so that both colors and flowers were showing. The only other flower he has ever bought me was when our first child was born but it was a cactus:ohwell: He said he liked the southwest clay pot it was in. He still uses that pot to put keys, change, etc in.

I fell tonight. I don't know what I tripped over but I fell flat on my face and both knees. I just went kerplunk on the floor. I was carrying a tub of my 100 calorie popcorn and it all happened so fast I didn't have time to catch myself. My knees hurt so bad that I couldn't get up so I kind of crawled over to the coffee table to pull myself up.After walking couple of steps my knees quit hurting but sitting here at my desk I have a slight ache mid back and my left elbow. But the worst thing is that my popcorn went all over the floor:sad: So I had to go get a broom and sweep that up off the floor and the stairs then pop me another one. Glad the only thing really wrong was the loss of one bag of popcorn. I do no want to become my sister and fall as often as she does.
    I took a couple of Aleve since I know I will be sore tonight.

Joyce, Indiana
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    Quick entry to save my place :flowerforyou:

It looks gloomy here outside, but I shall get going on the machines this morning and do a slightly shorter workout. I have missed two days and I'm keen to get back to it as I've overeaten on both dsys, but not over TDEE. I feel sluggish though with this cold.
    Missing the strength training so I shall do a bit and get back to normal tomorrow.

See you later with goals.
    Heather UK
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everybody! Thanks for the new thread, Barbie.

Thinking especially of Joyce and Alison this morning.

And bringing good news: This week I've lost 1 kg (2.2 pounds)! Seems to be my pattern these days: a couple of weeks with almost no loss, and then whoosh! Now I'm just shy of 14 kg (30,8 pounds). Whoa! I hit 30 pounds! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Bump

Thanks Barbie!

Deb in CNY
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,340 Member
    Options
    Back again! Hooray for the May thread! Thank you Barbie!:flowerforyou:

Joyce - hope you are ok after your fall. :flowerforyou: At least you know you haven't got fragile bones! :bigsmile: Here is a virtual big bunch of flowers! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Cynthia - well done on the grest weight loss!:flowerforyou:

Well, after all my moaning I got on to the machines and did my strength training and did my best ever calorie count. 526 cals. All that lovely food to eat:laugh: :tongue: :laugh: !

April goals were :

Lose 1lb. - no, stayed the same. I don't need to lose weight, but I would like a bit off my flabby tummy and I would like a safety net for when I go over. But I am bearing in mind thst medical advice is not to drop body fat too low at my age as we need the oestrogen secreted by fat to protect our bones.

Write my memoir - Not at all. Hmmmmmm. What's going on there? Will have to ponder.

Do more driving. - Yes, getting on quite well with that. The new car is beginning to feel like the old car, but I still am embarrassed to drive with DH in the car.:embarassed:

DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD! - Sometimes. I had a few blips, but generally with all my Mindfulness reading I am less of a perfectionist than I used to be and if I get worked up it doesn't last as long. I am more inclined to try something out and not worry about getting it perfect.:bigsmile:

OK Goals for May:

1. Stay the same weight. - I have four important parties coming up and a week's holiday in France. I hope to be sensible.

2. DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Hair appointment today. DH has gone off to the bigger supermarket to get stuff I couldn't find yesterday. I need the car this pm to get to the hairdresser's so he will write his book then. He normally writes every morning and finds a change of routine a challenge. He survived it though!:bigsmile:

Love to all. Heather in damp Hampshire UK
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    Thank you,Barbie for May thread. I love May,beautiful weather before the hot & humid temps of summer.:sad:

Congrats,Cynthia on losing. Your total loss is awesome !:flowerforyou:
    Joyce,sorry,you fell,you will be sore all over.:cry:
    Heather,I am stealing your
    "Don't Let Perfection Be The Enemy Of The Good"
    I remember too many times when ,if I couldn't 't do it right,phooey!!!! ........just forget the whole thing. How childish of me :noway:

So sweet,reading how you all met your husbands.

I'm hoping to lose a pd or 2 this month.That has been slow & slower.
    Journaling every day ..check
    Drinking at least 8 glasses of water every day...check
    No more than 2 slices of bread or one bun a day...check
    Stay under calorie goal....check
    Keep on,keeping on...check

Our only great grandchild will be 8 wks old,Saturday. Growing like a weed,sleeping good.The parents & Grparents
    share a bunch of pictures.

Time to get this day started,Have a great one. Pat in Ohio
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All; :flowerforyou:

I am sorry I haven't been around for almost a month I guess..My MIL recently passed away..we were with her every day { 6 days}.. till the end...it was quite a journey....she was totally different those times then she had been for years..joking and telling stories...we got to see a lady who knew and wanted to go with God..getting frustrated and agitated that she could not.:cry: ..she lived a long full life..she was 89....she told us she would not be here after her birthday and she died 2 days after....We all know she is where she wanted to be..with God :heart:
    I have crashed from all the business...in bed for a few days..I did not make the goals last month...will see how this month goes...May Goals.... Eat more wisely {less junk}
    .... Don't grab food when feeling down
    .... Lose pounds {praying }
    .... Be here in group more

We will see how that works out....wishing you lovely ladies a sunshiny day... Treasure the good times with family and friends.....fill your hearts with love...it is a life saver :heart: :heart:

God's Blessings!!
    Liz fr Halifax NS ( Canada)
    1247633vfpfau9wfi.gif
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello All, A new month, I can't believe how fast time is going. Sadly I can't remember my April goals but I have written my May ones and will keep them posted here on my computer. I will share them below.
    This week-end I have cycling a nd ab class Saturday morning, then a manditory meeting for the Y in the afternoon. We are going dancing Saturday night and I am so excited about it. I love counting those steps and knowing I'm burning calories while having fun.
    Sunday I have to use as a catch up day. Yikes, I'm behind on cleaning and orginizing my house and self.

Michele NC, You sure seem to have a variety to pick from for exercising. You all have encouraged me to try DVD’s at home. I have weight loss yoga and a palate one I am working on.

Renny, I can imagine how your DD feels, my DD has eight weeks to go and with two toddlers and two dogs, one dog with a broken back, I don’t know how she does it. At least she only works part time though. (She is a teacher but quit teaching when second child came)

Joyce Indiana, I hope you aren’t sore today. It was sweet of your hubby to pick those flowers and dandelions. Hallmark made him do it, that’s cute.

Cynthia, Way to go girl!!

My May goals:

2 lb weight loss a week
    Strength train twice a week
    Cardio 6 days a week
    Try new work-outs like yoga and pilates
    Remake budget
    Log food
    Journal
    Be more aware of other people in the world.

What I mean on the last goal is that I find myself in such a hurry sometimes that I don't see the people around me.I want to be more aware of opportunities to just smile, open a door for someone, hold an elevator, just the little things.

Wishing all a healthy and happy day,
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • milagros00
    milagros00 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have gained weight and can not seem to stop eating. I am 54 years old, feel tired all the time, my body hurts and I do not move as well as I would like. My son died earlier this year. He was only 20 years old. After he died, I turned almost immediately to food. Today is May 1st. I have hope and want my health back. I do not want to honor the memory of my son by wallowing in depression and food. I want to regain a healthy weight so I can live my best life.

I have one goal only for this month.

1.I will log my food and exercise EVERY DAY. This will be my greatest challenge. Thank goodness for the phone app.
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,777 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Didn't do too well this month ... my own doing ... no excuses. Ended up with my son's stomach bug ...haven't been so sick in years. New month ... renewed determination!

April Goals:
    1. Exercise every day ... no
    2. Log everything ... no
    3. Stay within my calorie budget ... no
    4. Lose 4 pounds ... no, but ended up with a half pound loss ... better than an increase
    5. Maintain an attitude of thankfulness ... hmmm, I think I did better!

May Goals:
    1. Exercise 20 minutes every day
    2. Log everything
    3. Stay within my calorie budget
    4. Lose 4 pounds ... I'm just 2.5 away from "onderland"

Have a great day!
    Beth in Western New York
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Good morning to all -- just bumping into the new thread before work. Thanks, Barbie!

Milagros00 - my condolences on the loss of your young son. What a heartache! Welcome to this wonderful, supportive group. I hope it lifts you up a bit and that you'll come back often. What is your name and where are you from?

Gail, metro ATL
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Barbie!!!

Had a fun impromptu mini road trip yesterday..........went to ladies exercise at the gym, then grocery, got home and started unloading the haul when I received a phone call from a friend asking if I would accompany her about 2hrs. away to pick up something she purchased off Craigslist. Well, I'm always up for something like this so she picked me up and off we went............then raced the storms all the way home and just made it!! Ate a quarter poiunder at McDonalds for the first time in probably 2 yrs........better news--fit it into my total cal count!!

Rori.........My condolences on your loss of your friend Bob; I could easily tell he meant a lot to you. I hear you on the DH.

jb..........safe trip!

Heather...........Your menu looks sumptuous!!!! Hope your guests appreciate all you are doing for them; it is a lovely generous gesture. Bon appetit!!!

Carol...........Time to make something with Ex Lax and put it in the fridge in a bag marked with your name and see what happens! That was a rotten thing to do to you!!!

Milagros00............Condolences on your loss of your son. Your plan is a great start. Welcome.

Cindy..........Hope you have a wonderful time at your reunion.

Looking forward to the weekend. Going away with 4 female friends (all married, no husbands invited---imagine that!!!!) to the Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills area of the Outer Banks for the Flying Pirate 5K and Half Marathon. They are all runners and doing both races---Sat/Sun. I may volunteer if they still need people desperately, otherwise, I'm just there to cheer and soak up the fun
    and I'm sure there will be MAJOR shopping involved!!!

On my goals: I actually lost a pound and a half, which I'm satisified with because it's the first month in ages that I didn't gain!!! So, a successful month.

The sun is peeking out here for the moment! The ground is so soft from the rain, I think I'll go attack some of the never defeated weeds. Then lunch meeting at a new barbque place!!!

Best to everyone else.
    yanniejannie
    mid-Atlantic