What if I don't really care?

Options

Replies

• Foodiethinking
    Foodiethinking Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    If you really want it, you'll put the effort in.
  • dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    I would suggest starting a regular exercise routine, independent of desired weight.
  • Shel08127
    Shel08127 Posts: 1
    Options
    Looking good isn't my ONLY motivation for being tight. Health is a big one also. I just feel 100% better when I'm eating well and exercising regularly. When I don't I feel really awful and well I don't like feeling like crap all the time. I've also always been really athletic and I just have to push myself and move in some way. I hate sitting on my butt 24/7. I like the routine, the self-discipline, the endorphins, the sense of accomplishment from doing incredible athletic feats lol. How many girls can say they can do 150 pushups--I can and I worked hard to get there.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Ask yourself: Are you considering losing weight because you feel external pressure to look a certain way or because you're thinking, "I look and feel pretty good right now, but I'd like to feel better than 'pretty good'?"

If you're anything like me and you're reacting to external pressure, your motivation will last for about 2 days because deep down you really *DON'T* care and real wine and cheese taste better than a still-imaginary skinny. It's only when I developed an internally motivated goal that involved health and confidence as well as looks that I was able to stay with it. (BTW, the wine and cheese still taste damn good. Just not every night in large quantities!)
  • 5pmsomewherenow
    5pmsomewherenow Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I've been there, too. I didn't care, and used stupid excuses like: "but, I don't want to buy all new clothes..."

I worked out at a gym, and was pretty strong, but literally TOLD my trainers I did not have a goal of losing weight. I had a BMI of 36, so I was obese. I wore a size 16. I drank half a bottle of wine EVERY night, seven days a week. I was addicted to sugar and caffeine. I thought everything was fine. Oh yeah, and my husband had to sleep in the other room because I snored somethin' awful. I didn't care - everything was fine.

Until something "clicks" in your brain, and you decide that YOU are going to get healthy for Yourself, it's almost impossible to get on the right track for a long term project. Addiction to junk food, candy, coffee, alcohol is just that -- an addiction we will fight for the rest of our lives. It just tastes too damn good, and is too easy to shove in your mouth.

I hope you get the "click" - it makes all the difference in the world, and the changes to a healthy lifestyle are worth all the effort. Hey, my husband says I haven't snored in two years. That's worth the effort right there. :flowerforyou:
  • Seabee74
    Seabee74 Posts: 314
    Options
    Must be wonderful to have all this time to waste !
  • RoseyDgirl
    RoseyDgirl Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Tiberius, I wish there were a way to 'click' like on your comment about challenging oneself to be the best they can be. that's a great mentality to have and follow - and Kudos, when one makes it happen. :)
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I can see where being 15lb over ideal weight may not be that big a deal for you. For one, you may very well be at a normal healthy weight if you are only 15lb off. (I don't know what you consider your ideal weight)

I would like to tell you what happened to me.

After I got married I gained 10lb. Going from an active to non active lifestyle. I would lose 5lb and gain another 10lb. I didn't really mind being a little heavier. I was still at a healthy weight. But now 11 years later,... I've lost 5lb so many times and gained 10lb that I am 45lb heavier than I'd like to be! I wish I had paid more attention to my lifestyle and eating habits all along. I'm just now figuring out what went wrong.

So don't fret about 15lb. If you want to lose them do, if not, don't. I would like to advise you to take care not to gain. I would say this is probably more important than to lose. Figure out how to be happy with your diet and exercise and stay the same weight so you don't end up where I'm at.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    So I'm about 15 lbs overweight. I've lost a few pounds here and there and then gained them right back. Here's the thing, I'm starting to wonder, what if, deep down, I don't really care that i'm not my "ideal" weight? I mean sure I'm always like "oh I'd love to be a size 2 and look perfect in bikinis, yada yada" and i'll eat well and exercise for a couple days, but then i'm right back to the unhealthy habits. Its like I know what I should be doing but when the junk food is in front of me I just dig in. Does anyone else struggle with this? what have you done to stay motivated? Or has anyone come to the realization that they're happy just the way they are?

Well you dont have to give up unhealthy foods to lose weight so maybe the reason you keep failing is bc you cut out the things you love. Dont do that. Fit the foods you cant live without in your calories. Excercise so you can eat more.
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    This is not even about being a size 2 and looking great in a bikini. It's about being less than you could be. Why are you okay with being 15 lbs overweight? I think you need a dose of self-respect.
  • briggitte59
    briggitte59 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    what if it gets out of hand and you keep gaining and gaining ?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    If you're happy the way you are then why are you looking for a bunch of strangers on the internet to justify mediocrity for you?
  • Wonderob
    Wonderob Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    hi is amyenman you fack you you nuts

Erm???
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Why are you here, then? :huh:
    Well, we're all here for the same reason, of course.

It's not "My Weight Loss Pal." If she wants to focus on fitness with 15 extra pounds, that's none of our business.

I don't care that I'm overweight right now. I'm working on becoming stronger, and I'm eating like someone who wants to become stronger, not someone who wants to be not overweight. That hardly means I'm less than I could be or that I need a dose of self-respect.

Why do her priorities have to be your priorities?
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

It's not "My Weight Loss Pal." If she wants to focus on fitness with 15 extra pounds, that's none of our business.

I don't care that I'm overweight right now. I'm working on becoming stronger, and I'm eating like someone who wants to become stronger, not someone who wants to be not overweight. That hardly means I'm less than I could be or that I need a dose of self-respect.

Did you read the OP? She can't seem to stick to any priorities, whether they are fitness or weight loss related. Seems to be a general lack of discipline, not that she has different priorities.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Hey all!
    So I'm about 15 lbs overweight. I've lost a few pounds here and there and then gained them right back. Here's the thing, I'm starting to wonder, what if, deep down, I don't really care that i'm not my "ideal" weight? I mean sure I'm always like "oh I'd love to be a size 2 and look perfect in bikinis, yada yada" and i'll eat well and exercise for a couple days, but then i'm right back to the unhealthy habits. Its like I know what I should be doing but when the junk food is in front of me I just dig in. Does anyone else struggle with this? what have you done to stay motivated? Or has anyone come to the realization that they're happy just the way they are?
    I don't think a size 2 is healthy or attractive!!

That's funny, I don't remember when the discussion whether a size 2 is healthy or not was introduced... :huh:
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    I don't really care if you ever reach your ideal weight or not. Your health and weight are your own business.
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    liekewheeless: "So don't fret about 15lb. If you want to lose them do, if not, don't. I would like to advise you to take care not to gain. I would say this is probably more important than to lose. Figure out how to be happy with your diet and exercise and stay the same weight so you don't end up where I'm at. "

+1. The last time I was close to my ideal weight, I couldn't find the motivation to lose the final pounds. My BMI and health were well, my fitness was great, my love life was good. I wish I had simply held the line! Although, I will have another shot at that soon, and an older/wiser me will surely handle the situation better. :)
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

That's a different perspective.

I think a lot of folks here are just challenging her to be the best she can be, whether that's at her ideal weight or not.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options

Did you read the OP? She can't seem to stick to any priorities, whether they are fitness or weight loss related. Seems to be a general lack of discipline, not that she has different priorities.
    Yes, I did. And I think that divorcing the notion that you have to be a size 2 or look good in a bikini or not be 15 pounds overweight from the notion of pursuing fitness is a helpful point. Not having to be disciplined in all things immediately sure does make it easier to get started.