1200 cals is just fine. 1100 is just fine too. If....

Options

Replies

• MG_Fit
    MG_Fit Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lz9ljfgH9I1r3zat8.gif
  • CocoaBeautiful
    CocoaBeautiful Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I say do what works for you! I like the quote "Not everyone will understand your journey. That's fine. It's not their journey. It's yours". Pretty much sums it up!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU OP!!!! I am 5 feet tall and YES, I eat between 1000 and 1200 daily and workout. I am NOT starving and my weight loss numbers prove I know what I am doing! I eat when I am hungry NOT when the clock says its time! What I do works for me...it does not work for everybody. Some people are very judgmental if you don't do it their way. Well, I tried their way and I gained! My way works for me. This is an individual process. I have gone from wearing a 20wp to a 4/6p.

So true! I'm 5'1" so started at the 1,200 calories and only had vanity weight to lose. I had no problems with that at all getting to goal weight. I upped the goal to 1,400 calories but average 1,300 calories and am stalled at my goal weight so just went back to 1,200 calories to the low end of healthy.

I'm not sure I understand. You ate 1200 calories, got to your goal weight, upped your calories and "stalled" at your goal weight which makes sense since it's your goal weight, but then decided to go back to 1200 calories because you were maintaining the goal weight?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was confused by that.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    You're wrong.

Aaaaand still wrong.

Wrong.

Just in case the hoards of other people telling you didn't get through the first 900 times.

Psssst!

*You're wrong!*
  • midwestspitfire
    midwestspitfire Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU OP!!!! I am 5 feet tall and YES, I eat between 1000 and 1200 daily and workout. I am NOT starving and my weight loss numbers prove I know what I am doing! I eat when I am hungry NOT when the clock says its time! What I do works for me...it does not work for everybody. Some people are very judgmental if you don't do it their way. Well, I tried their way and I gained! My way works for me. This is an individual process. I have gone from wearing a 20wp to a 4/6p.

So true! I'm 5'1" so started at the 1,200 calories and only had vanity weight to lose. I had no problems with that at all getting to goal weight. I upped the goal to 1,400 calories but average 1,300 calories and am stalled at my goal weight so just went back to 1,200 calories to the low end of healthy.

I'm not sure I understand. You ate 1200 calories, got to your goal weight, upped your calories and "stalled" at your goal weight which makes sense since it's your goal weight, but then decided to go back to 1200 calories because you were maintaining the goal weight?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that was confused by that.

That makes three of us.
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options

Yup you lost weight......fat and muscle good for you....you punished yourself for being overweight by eating so little food that your body didn't have a choice but to use muscle for fuel...great job... /sarcasm

You don't gain if you are in a deficet period...if you gained you were eating more than you thought...and the fact you have lost over 100lbs proves to me you could have lost weight eating a whole lot more because the BMR of an obese person is always higher than a slim person because of the weight they have to move around.

I NEVER PUNISHED MYSELF FOR BEING FAT BY NOT EATING!!! YOU ARE SO JUDGMENTAL!! You do not know me so therefore DO NOT judge me!!! I did this my way and IT WORKS! I eat when I am hungry NOT because a clock says its time for OH, MY I have calories available!!! I do cardio and lifting and these muscles that YOU say I have lost...well they look damn good.....CARRY ON being Judgmental....
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    LMFAO LOVE IT
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just a little something I noticed...when reading your diary, it looks as everything is an estimate. I would not doubt that you were/are eating a lot more calories than you think.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Oh, and 5 foot nothing, here. 1,800 cals a day. Still losing at a brisk clip.

Gatsby-toast-gif.gif
  • asjt678
    asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Also eating this way is not sustainable

It will catch up with you eventually.

5'3'' eat 1600-2000 a day
    dont clean eat
    I have hypothyroidism (low thyroid)

220+ to 128 lbs in just under a year...........

So............ have fun barely eating I just tanked about a pound of fruit yogurt and granola and it was wonderful...........

^^^ This.
    This is my second time around on MFP. I just reactivated my account this week. I barely logged the right way. I overate on too many days and then underate on others to make up for it. I have learned my lesson.

From experiences, sure you will lose weight on 1200 calories. But will you keep it off? When people on MFP tell you to up your calories its because they are trying to teach you how to be FIT (its called Myfitnesspal not myquickweightlosspal) and how to keep the weight off for life. 1100 or 1200 calories is not practical or fun for the rest of your life.

Also, far too many people on here who eat 1200 calories are working out as well and they are not eating back their calories. They are 'netting' below the 1200 which is NOT okay. This is typically the main cause of concern and when people chime in about how 1200 is not enough. There are far too many diaries on here with people netting 700-800 calories a day. Not good. SMH

I am committed to doing this the right way this time and I will choose to listen to the "judgmental' and 'mean' vets on here.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options

Yup you lost weight......fat and muscle good for you....you punished yourself for being overweight by eating so little food that your body didn't have a choice but to use muscle for fuel...great job... /sarcasm

You don't gain if you are in a deficet period...if you gained you were eating more than you thought...and the fact you have lost over 100lbs proves to me you could have lost weight eating a whole lot more because the BMR of an obese person is always higher than a slim person because of the weight they have to move around.

I NEVER PUNISHED MYSELF FOR BEING FAT BY NOT EATING!!! YOU ARE SO JUDGMENTAL!! You do not know me so therefore DO NOT judge me!!! I did this my way and IT WORKS! I eat when I am hungry NOT because a clock says its time for OH, MY I have calories available!!! I do cardio and lifting and these muscles that YOU say I have lost...well they look damn good.....CARRY ON being Judgmental....

Yelling gets you nowhere here.

Regardless of how she said it (that part you may not have liked), it's a fact that you lose more muscle on VLCD than at a reasonable deficit.

ETA: But if I restricted myself to that few calories, I'd probably be yelling and angry too.
  • angf0679
    angf0679 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    OP - I'm about an inch taller then you and approx 2 years younger. 1200 calaries is NOT enough. I try to stay at 1400 Net calories at day, but even with that I struggle to stay there. It's especially hard for me to eat enough so I'm not feeling hungry on the days I have no time work out and have no way to burn of calories. MFP set me at 1200 (this is my second time on here doing this) but knowing that isn't enough for me, I changed it to 1400.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Options
    Just a little something I noticed...when reading your diary, it looks as everything is an estimate. I would not doubt that you were/are eating a lot more calories than you think.

Plot twist!
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Under 5'1 here.

Ate 1200 calories for 8 months. Started off obese. Developed anorexia, heart failure, osteoporosis etc. Weight loss was very efficient @3lb/week average. Nobody on MFP suggested I was under-eating on 1200 cals bc I was short and fat, so clearly I 'needed' it.

Now eat 2500-3500/day. Can squat twice my bodyweight and have lower body fat %. Have gained 40lb @0.5lb/week average.

So FWIW, stats don't tell the whole story either. Using your brain and understanding your body's individual needs tends to work out pretty well in the long run.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"0' and I eat 1450+ calories and up. Less than 1300 leaves me feeling way too hungry and cranky. I haven't gained weight either. That's because I'm on a deficit. Being short does not mean you have to eat 1200 calories! I can't wait to go into maintenance because that means I can eat a bit more :D
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I am absolutely sure I have never told anyone they are going to die. If you want to eat 1200 or under then that is your choice. I, however, choose to eat more and I am still losing. So there is that!

They difference between us? I am not making sweeping generalization statements and shoving my choice to eat more down anyone's throat with a "holier than thou" kinda post. But hey, each their own.
  • laurenawolf
    laurenawolf Posts: 262 Member
    Options

Plot twist!

Muahaha! :bigsmile:
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Under 5'1 here.

Ate 1200 calories for 8 months. Started off obese. Developed anorexia, heart failure, osteoporosis etc. Weight loss was very efficient @3lb/week average. Nobody on MFP suggested I was under-eating on 1200 cals bc I was short and fat, so clearly I 'needed' it.

Now eat 2500-3500/day. Can squat twice my bodyweight and have lower body fat %. Have gained 40lb @0.5lb/week average.

So FWIW, stats don't tell the whole story either. Using your brain and understanding your body's individual needs tends to work out pretty well in the long run.

what a stunner!!!! .. i think i have a lady crush!
  • prettyface55
    prettyface55 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    congrats on your 30 lb loss!!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I'm inclined to believe you, seeing as I'm 5'10 (21 f) and my maintenance is somewhere around 1550 (net).

That seems off...

At age 61...5'6"....179lbs...

Scooby gives me set at sedentary 1741 to maintain...set at lightly active it gives me 1995.

IIFYM give me 1680 for sedentary and 1925 for exercising 3 times a week.

You are much younger than I am...a lot taller...your maintenance calories should be higher than mine.

I have been eating between 1500-1740 and have been averaging about 6lbs a month.
This discussion has been closed.