Walking for weightloss... Does it really work?

Options
1235»

Replies

• FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I walk to lose weight. My only complaint with it is it takes longer then other forms of exercise, so if time is tight, it can be difficult. I have two walks a day, one is about 45 minutes before work and the other an hour in the evening. You will need to walk at a pretty brisk pace if you're looking to give your heart a workout.

I've also started working in some step aerobics at home and will probably add some body weight exercises to mix it up.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    A calorie deficit is what really works for weightloss. Adding any kind of exercise can help maintain that defict and is good for overall health.
  • sisBdisco
    sisBdisco Posts: 2
    Options
    To Meltedsno: What an awesome response! You are so nice to share so much information and what an INSPIRATION. I am presently a "tight 18/20" and have can not begin to imagine the joy of getting down to a size 6! Wow. Thanks for posting
  • A_Warrior_Princess
    A_Warrior_Princess Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to walk 2 miles every single day if I wanted to lose weight. I did it 7 days a week and eventually I lost 40 pounds just walking and sort of eating a little better. I wasn't a pop drinker or a fast food eater to begin with but I love sweets, especially ice cream so I tried to cut that down and/or made sure I exercised enough to have a calorie deficit based on what I ate. Yes, you can lose weight with walking - I should clarify I am not a leisure walker so I kept at a pretty good pace... Hope it helps you!
  • XWarzonePrincessX
    Options
    My mother is quite overweight and goes to the bike trail for walks. She has lost 25 pounds doing this. Keep in mind that she is very out of shape though. I think it depends on how in/ out of shape you are whether or not it will work. However adding it in is always good! I exercise regularly but recently went from a sedentary job to an active one and lost a few pounds myself.
  • ness8484
    ness8484 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    To Meltedsno: What an awesome response! You are so nice to share so much information and what an INSPIRATION. I am presently a "tight 18/20" and have can not begin to imagine the joy of getting down to a size 6! Wow. Thanks for posting

This is me also. I got down to a loose 16, but just couldn't get past it. And then injury set in. I have a new plan. I have my 2 best friends holding me accountable. And I'm ready to start the journey again.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on how in/ out of shape you are whether or not it will work.

No. It will work no matter what shape you are in. Any activity that is a weight bearing exercise will cause you to burn calories and add to the calorie deficit needed to lose weight. Someone who can only walk a mile at 2 mph will burn calories, and if they are that out of shape it will likely get their heart rate up for cardio benefits too.

Your overall fitness determines what level of walking will bring the most benefits, but walking will benefit people at any level of fitness.