1200 cals is just fine. 1100 is just fine too. If....

Options

Replies

• tethar
    tethar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    You are short. And there are a lot of short gals on MFP, if you hadn't noticed us!

Oh, I didn't see you down there...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I think people are confusing a VLCD diet with an LCD diet. A VLCD diet is 800 calories or less a day. A LCD diet is between 1000-1200 for women and between 1200 and 1600 for men. Granted, for a larger person, those numbers might qualify as VLCD, but for a sedentary mature petite adult (I'm not talking 20 year olds), eating between 1000-1200 calories does not create a huge deficit. For instance, if I were sedentary, my BMR requires only around 1380. So, for a person of that size, like OP, 1100 is not VLCD. Anyway, if the principle is that you are overweight and need to be burning extra fat, you are getting rid of fat reserves by eating at a deficit. Isn't that what the whole weight loss process is about? Of course, at some point, she will have to eat at maintenance, but that's only maybe 300 or 400 more calories.

If the OP's diary wasn't full of inaccurate logging etc she wouldn't have made this post. She thinks she is eating under 1200..I call bull on that...

What items do you thinks she is underestimating? Many of the items are European products, so it's hard for me to tell. The things I recognize seem to be fairly accurate. BTW, she is eating more than 1200 some days, but seems to have some activity level.

2 tomatoes.
    0.5 cups rice
    1 cup of melon
    1 avocado

These are inaccurate, to say the least. Avocados and rice are calorie dense and these are clearly rough guesstimates.

Nothing whatsoever in her diary appears to be an exact measurement. Everything is half this, a third that, one of these.

How else do you measure rice? I eat .5 cup rice, which MFP says is 121 calories, which I put in a 1/2 cup measuring cup. How do you know she's not doing that? Are you in her kitchen watching her?

The only estimate that's under in this list is the avocado, which she has as 240, and comes out at 322 when I input it. A tomato has 22 calories, not a huge deal. We're not talking about ice cream and chips here.

The way to measure rice is to measure the dry rice by weight before cooking. Same with melon - weigh the flesh that you are eating. And, indeed, same with avocado.

These are just examples. She appears to be accurately measuring nothing at all.

I measure/weigh the dry rice before cooking, then weigh the total end result (drained) and then do math to figure out the weight of the cooked servings...which gets me close except for the realization that rice evaporates at a not insignificant rate even when stored in a seemingly airtight container in the fridge...but it's closer than guessing, I suppose.
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    do you.. live your life nobody can do it for you. if 1200 work for you do it if 2000 work for you do it. it is what it is.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    do you.. live your life nobody can do it for you. if 1200 work for you do it if 2000 work for you do it. it is what it is.

And if you think 1200 is working for you now but years from now realize that there were ramifications of it that you hadn't considered and you wish someone had helped you out when you first mentioned it, so you start posting in others' 1200 threads trying to dissuade people from making the same mistakes you did...

...like so many have done in this thread, the thanks for which are people telling them the equivalent of "mind their own business."

(But no, let's all just do us and let everyone else stumble blindly down their own uninformed paths, right?)
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I think people are confusing a VLCD diet with an LCD diet. A VLCD diet is 800 calories or less a day. A LCD diet is between 1000-1200 for women and between 1200 and 1600 for men. Granted, for a larger person, those numbers might qualify as VLCD, but for a sedentary mature petite adult (I'm not talking 20 year olds), eating between 1000-1200 calories does not create a huge deficit. For instance, if I were sedentary, my BMR requires only around 1380. So, for a person of that size, like OP, 1100 is not VLCD. Anyway, if the principle is that you are overweight and need to be burning extra fat, you are getting rid of fat reserves by eating at a deficit. Isn't that what the whole weight loss process is about? Of course, at some point, she will have to eat at maintenance, but that's only maybe 300 or 400 more calories.

If the OP's diary wasn't full of inaccurate logging etc she wouldn't have made this post. She thinks she is eating under 1200..I call bull on that...

What items do you thinks she is underestimating? Many of the items are European products, so it's hard for me to tell. The things I recognize seem to be fairly accurate. BTW, she is eating more than 1200 some days, but seems to have some activity level.

2 tomatoes.
    0.5 cups rice
    1 cup of melon
    1 avocado

These are inaccurate, to say the least. Avocados and rice are calorie dense and these are clearly rough guesstimates.

Nothing whatsoever in her diary appears to be an exact measurement. Everything is half this, a third that, one of these.

How else do you measure rice? I eat .5 cup rice, which MFP says is 121 calories, which I put in a 1/2 cup measuring cup. How do you know she's not doing that? Are you in her kitchen watching her?

The only estimate that's under in this list is the avocado, which she has as 240, and comes out at 322 when I input it. A tomato has 22 calories, not a huge deal. We're not talking about ice cream and chips here.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

oh wait your serious...sorry...

logging accurately is the key to knowing intake...and as stated...food scale and all solids are weighed and liquids measured and logged appropriately...if raw..logged raw...if cook then logged how they are cooked...

121 calories in cooked rice 1/2cup..sure if it's white
    361 in a cup of dry rice or 380 in 100g...but as you can see 1cup <>100g but on the box it says 1cup (100g)

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6393?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=white+rice+dry

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6398?fg=&man=&lfacet=&format=&count=&max=25&offset=&sort=&qlookup=cooked+rice
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

2 tomatoes.
    0.5 cups rice
    1 cup of melon
    1 avocado

My rice package reads...1/4 cup dry (50g) is 180 calories...cooked that is about a 1/2 cup...I believe.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options

2 tomatoes.
    0.5 cups rice
    1 cup of melon
    1 avocado

The way to measure rice is to measure the dry rice by weight before cooking. Same with melon - weigh the flesh that you are eating. And, indeed, same with avocado.

I measure/weigh the dry rice before cooking, then weigh the total end result (drained) and then do math to figure out the weight of the cooked servings...which gets me close except for the realization that rice evaporates at a not insignificant rate even when stored in a seemingly airtight container in the fridge...but it's closer than guessing, I suppose.

Why? It looks like you eat out almost daily. I doubt that a few grains of dry rice will do much to make up for the inaccuracies of estimating restaurant food. The OP seems to rarely eat out. The things she is estimating are relatively low calorie, and it doesn't look like the selections she is choosing are grossly incorrect for the food. Saying that her calories are actually much higher seems to be grasping at straws, just becomes you disagree with her eating under 1200 calories.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options

2 tomatoes.
    0.5 cups rice
    1 cup of melon
    1 avocado

Why? It looks like you eat out almost daily. I doubt that a few grains of dry rice will do much to make up for the inaccuracies of estimating restaurant food. The OP seems to rarely eat out. The things she is estimating are relatively low calorie, and it doesn't look like the selections she is choosing are grossly incorrect for the food. Saying that her calories are actually much higher seems to be grasping at straws, just becomes you disagree with her eating under 1200 calories.

Why is my diary even being talked about here? What does my diary have to do with hers?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

the fact all her entries are inaccurate is why it's being said..not just a few grains of rice...and you would be surprised at how inaccurate you can be if you don't weigh.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1270280-food-weighing-scale-miracles?page=1#posts-19769726
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

2 tomatoes.
    0.5 cups rice
    1 cup of melon
    1 avocado

As for the avocado, the crop this year has been *much* smaller than in prior years. It's actually been a serious problem for them from a marketing/business perspective. What was once about a 240g avocado is now 150g. Of course, I know this *BECAUSE I USE A DIGITAL FOOD SCALE*. *ahem* Sorry about that.

But anyhow, as I was saying, you have *no* idea the size of her avocado. None.

(I'm fairly good at estimating portions now...but only because I've weighed *a lot* of food (and try to guess before weighing a lot of it). You *can* become pretty good at it, but I can't imagine that's possible without a lot of practice with the scale to confirm your estimates.)

ETA: Whoops, I thought I was in the "2 year plateau" thread instead of the "<1200 is fine" thread. Rereading my response, however...I think it's still valid (with the deletion of a reference about cafeteria food).
  • Sunbrooke
    Options

2 tomatoes.
    0.5 cups rice
    1 cup of melon
    1 avocado

Why is my diary even being talked about here? What does my diary have to do with hers?

I was actually looking for dry rice in someone else's diary. I want to see what that looked like, but I didn't find it. I'm just trying to point out that everyone uses estimates of some sort. Usually, people can relate to themselves better than they can other people. The op's diary is not any less accurate than normal. In fact, it may be more accurate than those of some of the people criticizing her for estimating an apple and rice.
  • vermillionlove
    vermillionlove Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    maybe someone on here can help me. here are my stats:
    SW: 220.
    CW: 165
    F, 23, 5'2"

I exercise every day, at least a 30ish minute walk. it burns about 100 calories. lately I play DDR which is like HIIT and I can burn anywhere from 100-300+ calories from that. But I am not working, and do a lot of sitting around. My calorie goal set by MFP is currently 1400. it was 1350 but I was kind of intimidated by the low number so I set it back up.

I have no idea what my real goal should be. I think my TDEE is around the 1700 area so if I wanted to lose a lb a week, I should eat 1200 if I don't exercise at all that day. correct? but that's almost impossible for me lately. My diet is not the greatest, I eat a lot of junk.

Help? :/
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

2 tomatoes.
    0.5 cups rice
    1 cup of melon
    1 avocado

(This is the reasoning that so many MFP food evangelists use for keeping their diaries closed...when it's usually the other side of the argument who I see called out for their diaries instead. Fascinating, it is.)
  • jonnythan
    Options
    I was actually looking for dry rice in someone else's diary. I want to see what that looked like, but I didn't find it. I'm just trying to point out that everyone uses estimates of some sort. Usually, people can relate to themselves better than they can other people. The op's diary is not any less accurate than normal. In fact, it may be more accurate than those of some of the people criticizing her for estimating an apple and rice.

Looks like this:

http://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/foods/show/6395

360 calories per 100g dry white medium-grain rice.

Yes, everyone uses estimates. It's impossible not to use estimates unless you always prepare all your own food from scratch.

OP, however, doesn't weigh a thing. She simply has no idea how much she's eating and that's a fact. In contrast, I weigh most things I eat at home. I've weighed food for years. Through this extensive use of weighing, which I continue to this day, I have gotten pretty good at estimating. OP, by contrast, has no idea how much rice she's eating. She has no idea just how big that avocado is.

The OP's diary is horrendously inaccurate. Failure to accurately measure and estimate food is probably the single most common reason for failure seen on MFP.
  • Sunbrooke
    Options
    It takes a lot of half apples, slices of avocado, and rice, to make up for regularly eating out though. I'm sorry, but her margin of error doesn't seem to be all that great. Certainly not great enough to say that she is any more inaccurate than typical.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    It takes a lot of half apples, slices of avocado, and rice, to make up for regularly eating out though. I'm sorry, but her margin of error doesn't seem to be all that great. Certainly not great enough to say that she is any more inaccurate than typical.

This.
  • jonnythan
    Options

Well in my experience with food logging, which is probably considerably larger than yours, you are very very wrong.

MFP is filled with people who purchased a food scale after logging for a while without one. They pretty much invariably say some variation of "holy crap, I was estimating everything totally wrong."
  • tashatashae
    tashatashae Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    you can lead a horse but you cant make them drink. how many threads people seen saying 1200 is not good and they still doing it.lol waste a time people going do them regardless smh im done.
  • KnM0107
    KnM0107 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    you can lead a horse but you cant make them drink. how many threads people seen saying 1200 is not good and they still doing it.lol waste a time people going do them regardless smh im done.

There are many people who lurk on the treads and don't post... there have been people come out and say thank you to those who do challenge posts like the original. It is not a waste of time.
  • Onederchic
    Onederchic Posts: 128 Member
    Options

There are many people who lurk on the treads and don't post... there have been people come out and say thank you to those who do challenge posts like the original. It is not a waste of time.

I am a lurker and read the forums frequently. I am always thankful when people give good, solid advice. And definitely not a waste of time.
This discussion has been closed.