WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2014

Options

Replies

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    My daughter fixed my computer!!!!!! She always goes out to supper on Sunday evenings and she could tell how frustrated I was with it so she said she would look at it. Previously she had told me that I needed to talk to my SIL who is in IT. I have sent emails to my daughter saying I needed him to help me and he has never called but if he helped me it would have to be him talking me through something. Michelle was able to just look at the computer and see things that needed to be deleted and wa-la it's fixed! So we ran a scan and it's all gone. It all started when I downloaded the browser Opera, it apparently came with 'extras' that really tried to ruin my computer. So I will not download that at all. But others that I know are using it with great reviews. She does so much for me and is so special. Meg, this is the daughter that was our problem child during high school and early college. I couldn't live without her now.

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Barbie – I bet folks who have just met you would never pick your before picture out as you! You look great!!!!:smile:

Cindy – what a great NSV !!! and good job on food choices :smile:

Heather – glad it went well – you look so cute in your outfit!

YannieJannie – sounds like a great weekend.

Macklo – welcome!

Michele – thanks for the pool education! So nice of you to help your friend, and great food and drink choices. :happy:

Carol – I had not heard of Ryan Star – but found him on youtube – and have him playing while I write. He has a nice voice.
    So sorry to hear about your son’s situation. I would call the college admissions office tomorrow and see – often they are really helpful. fingers crossed!!!

I am so sore tonight! I worked in the middle of the day, and then did 3 hours of heavy yard work - lots of calories - but already stiff! Grrrr - I am going to go stretch and see if that helps and then bed!:yawn:

smiles Kim in N. California
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Good Morning Ladies!:flowerforyou:

It's 5:05 a.m. and I am awake and not able to go back to sleep for my extra hour!:yawn: So I thought I would spend some time with you.

I had a very busy weekend lots of cooking which is great because it means we can eat leftovers most of the week. I did cook lots of southern foods cream cheese cornbread, potato salad, deviled eggs, peas with pearl onions, and pound cake. I managed to keep my intake very moderate but did get really close to my calorie budget today.:smile: Food consciousness really helps me! A co-worker gave me some smoked pork sausage links brought back from NC. I was really excited as this was one of my favorite breakfast foods. One bite and I felt like grease was dripping from my chin. Storm was the recipient of the sausage!:happy:

I wanted to take the grandkids to the local farmer's market Saturday but couldn't get their parents on the phone to see if they were available - they had their ringers turned down too low to awaken them.:grumble: So I was left to piddle on my own!

The SO took care of the car repair and I was able to pick it up Friday evening which was great. Sometimes I really have extra love for him.:heart: Only one three day road trip was knocked out the budget. It didn't cost nearly as much as we originally thought.

We did get out to the country today to visit SO's dad and that was a lovely ride and visit.

HAPPY MONDAY everyone!:flowerforyou:

Tere
  • yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!

Just a short note to wish all a marvelous Monday!

Been awake since 2:30 so I need to plan all food and exercise now if I am to stay on track today. I am pre-logging both and telling you so that I feel some pressure to adhere to the plan. Not been too good at that lately. Exercise is very hit and miss. Work has taken over every minute!

Will come back this evening to check in and respond to posts. Enjoy the day and remember to carve out some time for yourself!

Deb A in CNY
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone, well, not so much, since Charlie just threw up the force feeding and I got into an argument with my guy who was lying in bed while I cleaned up vomit and cried at the kitchen table. He's normally very supportive, so he must not have heard all this somehow, but I just couldn't take it.
    Hope others have a better day than this one has begun.

Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely women!:flowerforyou: :heart: :love:

I'm so touched for all your support for my meeting up with my ex. And thank you for all the comlpiments.:blushing: To all of you who have published recent photos, it is just wonderful to see how far you have come. You are an inspiration to anyone who thinks you can't do it over 50. :flowerforyou:

Macklo - Welcome!:flowerforyou: I used to hate exercise and still don't "like" it, but I LOVE the results and it has changed my life. Also it means I can eat more and I am a huge foodie. :tongue: No 1200 diets for me!:noway: I started small and worked my way up. I would never have believed the things I can do today and I have a dodgy knee so I have had to work round that.

Carol - yeah for the Rock Star! How great to have that photo!

Jane - feel better soon, (((HUGS)))

Yanniejannie - your trip to the ocean sounds fabulous!:flowerforyou: :drinker: You are such a good friend.:flowerforyou:

Cindy - Congratulations on a great reunion. You go girl! :drinker: So great to get compliments.:flowerforyou:

Kim - I know you said you don't have much room for a workout, but I do my strength training on a rug at the foot of my bed. I have dumbbells for biceps and triceps and I do yoga moves, push ups, planks, crunches, squats etc. It is not a large rug.:laugh:

Well, last night I finished writing my post and got up to go to bed and my shoulder and neck was really hurting. I had to take painkillers and go to sleep in the spare room on a pile of pillows. More pain killers in the night and I did not sleep well. This morning it was quite a bit better so I have done my machines and half my strength training, but no dumbbells. :cry: No idea how I did it, but I did not wear my lymphodema arm sleeve yesterday out of vanity and was carrying a heavy bag of presents and then a baby, so I expect that had something to do with it. Plus sitting on the train with my neck craned to my tablet.:blushing:
    I want to tidy up the garden before the holiday so will have to not overdo it.:ohwell:

Love to all. It is a gloriously sunny bank holiday over here. My DS and DDIL are going to brave London Zoo with the kids. Rather them than me!:noway: :tongue:
    Heather in flowery Hampshire UK

PS - Cynthia, just seen your post. Lots of love.:heart::heart: :heart:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    morning ladies~
    well had a cup of tea and slept until 5;30 am, we sorta hung around yesterday except a trip to see my DFIL and Lowes and Sams...
    I have to get back into some type of routine..the pollen is wicked and I dont want to race walk and have my nose and eyes running while I do it.. will look for something on here to do.
    will check in with you guys later tonight...
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Meg:smile: You sure have had a lot of you lately:sad: , that certainly doesn`t mean you`re not a good mother:noway: , you`re just overwhelmed right now and that is to be expected!!! My daughter was good as gold until she turned 17, I thought I was one of the lucky ones and had by passed the "nasty" years....oh how wrong I was, the child was grounded most of that year, had her car taken away...it was a very trying time for me, when she turned 21 she told me I didn`t have to worry, she didn`t drink anymore:huh: , I told her there were some things I just didn`t want to know. She is a wonderful women and mother now, and has apologized to me for everything she put me through. You will get through this, one day at a time!!! We are all here for you:heart::flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: !!!!

Deb A:smile: It is so nice to see your posts:flowerforyou: !!!

Cynthia:smile: I hope your day improves:flowerforyou: , I know this is so hard for you:sad: !!!! Sending you a hug and wishing for a miracle!!!!

Tere:smile: Cream cheese cornbread:love: , oh my, that just sounds sinful!!!! So glad the car repairs were not as much as you expected!!!

Heather:smile: Love your new profile pic!!! You look marvelous:bigsmile: !!!!

Kim in N Cal.:smile: I`ve done so much over the last few weeks, my entire body hurts:angry::sad: ...even the bottom of my feet:huh: . Hope the stiffness is not too bad today:flowerforyou: !

I must get myself together and get to the track, the landscaper will be here soon, the kitchen people will be here and I`m not sure who else is showing up. I want to get my walk in before it all starts:bigsmile: !

Have a wonderful day ladies!!!! Drink your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC:glasses:
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning All,

Back to work and fighting off the Monday morning blues. I am lucky I get 4 weeks vacation a year but I've already used 9 of the 20 and have to use a week when DD delivers so I'm really trying to not take any more vacation days until the second half of the year now. But I would have liked to call off today.
    Had a good week-end, spent Friday night with daughter and grandkids, ate really well. Saturday I had mycycling and ab class, an afternoon meeting at the Y and then out dancing Saturday night. Yesterday I cleaned, I mowed, I grilled, did laundry and had my windows open all day. It was a good productive day!

Eileen San Diego, prayers for your Father. Congrats on the new baby.

Meg Omaha, I hope you are feeling better.

Joyce, Never say never. Maybe your daughter will figure out a way. I’ve realized you sacrifice a lot when you settle in your career, I’m struggling right now at almost 56 to find a way to change careers.

Cynthia, thought and prayers for you and your cat Charlie. Hang in there.

Cyclingbonnie, Wonderful pics.

Meg Omaha, Prayers with you and your family. I have two daughters, now ages 34 and 30 and there were times I wasn’t sure if I’d survive until they were adults, or if they would. They are both wonderful adults now but I wouldn’t have gotten through it all alone, vent all you want. It helps. Don’t give up on your daughters, and don’t blame yourself.
    Heather, Hampshire UK, So glad you had a good time.

I am happy to report another two lbs. gone, I feel good that the scale is finally moving again. I have not however logged food all week-end and since this is part of my goal I am starting today and am really going to try. I grilled steak, veggies and chicken yesterday and bought fish to make fish taco's. I am going to work harder at making my food and staying away from processed junk.

Better get started working,
    Wishing everyone a wonderful healthy day,
    Patty, Cincinnati OH
  • pathpt
    pathpt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Oh Wow!
    I like this group! Very positive and lots of motivation here. I am Pat, I live just outside of Philadelphia, Havertown PA. I am 57 and have been at this since early Feb when I noticed that my primary care dr had me down as obese!!! YIPES!! me???? UGH! I seem to be at a plateau. up a lb down a lb. Any ideas for the plateau?? I had been out of the exercise drill for about a month because of a hip bursitis. Still a little touchy so I have to be careful of repetitive stress injuries. Goal for today is to mow the lawn and go to an water aerobics class tonight after work. Would love to join the group!
  • LizPlus
    LizPlus Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    654470x9r7or4a26.gif

To My Dear Friends......
    :happy: Renny---You look super, good job!!

:happy: Barbie-- You look fantastic..what is a *Isagenix cleanser*?......::

smile: Milagros00--so sorry about your loss of your son 484804dwjijaohad.gif......:

happy: Dee....:happy: Grandmallie....:happy: Heather...:happy: Cynthia....:happy: Deb....:

:happy: Tere--Cream cheese cornbread sounds yummy!!....

:happy: Joyce--I depend on our son to fix our comp woes and netflex..he gets them fixed then as soon as he walks out that door..they crash again..:noway: :sad:

:happy: Carol.......:happy: Michele--You are a great friend to step in and help out at the get together!

:happy: Jane-- Have you had weakness before?..maybe you need to see a dr....take care!

:happy: Jannie-- I never would of dared to call my parents for help with a hang over either..:noway: :noway: .I would have happily suffered!!

:happy: Sue.....:happy: Sianll...:happy: Katla....:happy: Cindy

:happy: Heather..sounds like the get together with the ex and family went well..my DD and her X are still at the cat spitting... fur exploding stage!

I hope everyone had a great weekend...my DH is still working on getting closure with his DM's death..I tell him not to rush it..it takes time to get to that stage....we are heading to the Hospital to see a lady we know who just had surgery and is not doing well...then off to get a few groceries..in the rain...again... will chat later..

Take Care!!
    Liz fr Halifax NS {Canada}
    929143gcgd137hxb.gif
  • terewilliams
    terewilliams Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Just stopping by to share my laugh for the morning!:bigsmile:

I think the SO has gotten a little jealous of my morning routine of walking Storm and doing my body test on the Wii, plus he has yet to rectify his blow up at the gym.:huh: So this morning I checked him in on the Wii because he was sitting there keeping me company:wink: and I prefer to be alone when I do my morning body test. The Wii told him that he was obese and he needed to lose 64 pounds to be at a healthy weight! Now I weigh 15 pounds more than he does and it tells me I am obese every morning, but I had to leave the room as Mr. 200 crunches, lift weights, tree climbing, just losing his six-pack at 65 expressed his outrage! :laugh: I had a good laugh in the bathroom.

Great Start To My Morning!

Tere

P.S. The cream cheese cornbread is absolutely sinful! You can only bake it if you are in FOOD CONSCIOUSNESS CONTROL:tongue:
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,756 Member
    Options
    Tere~ I would have done the same thing, chuckle in the bathroom lol
    My DH is getting into the swing of things, not eating great,but he is walking every day, that pedometer that I got him,has really payed off, he got up every morning while he was in Florida and walked, he uses the Map my walk app on his phone...
    I on the other hand have been a slug and have to get my tushy in gear:huh:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,766 Member
    Options
    Good Morning! The sun is shining here! Yay! But my son is home again this morning with yet another migraine ... hoping he can make it to school for at least a few classes.

Just want to say that I LOVE seeing all of your photos! So inspirational!

Carol ... what a change from your rock star photo and your profile pic!

I have very few fat photos ... but my family wants me to have a before/after photo ... so they are on the hunt for older pics. They've found a few ... quite gleeful they get when finding one! once I figure out how to do photos on here, I'll try and post.

Meg ... the others have already shared most of what I would say about being a mother. But my heart goes out to you ... remember, this too shall pass.

Have a great day!
    Beth in Western New York
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    :sad: Good morning! It's a beautiful summer day here. Hey! What happened to spring?

I'm so excited! Every year I get a flyer in the mail from the St. Croix River Valley Potters group who put on a studio tour every year on Mothers Day weekend. Every year for about the last 15 years, I tell hubby "oh, I wish I could go", but every year his classes run past that weekend, so we don't get to go. It had become kind of a running joke. Well, this year, he is taking me!!!! He only had one final scheduled then in one of his upper level classes and convinced the two students in the class to take the final early. I still didn't believe it was going to happen, but yesterday he told me to get the oil changed and make a reservation for the dogs at the kennel, because we are leaving on THURSDAY! Did I mention that I'm excited!?!?

Here's where we are going:
    http://www.minnesotapotters.com/index_home.html

Terre- I love cream cheese cornbread! Or I used to anyway. Thanks for making me crave it again.:sad: Maybe your SO will start walking with you, now that the Wii has insulted him.

Philadelphia Pat - Welcome!!! I'm currently sitting on yet another plateau, too. I try to think of it as short term maintenance. No fun, but better than going the other direction. Come back often and let us get to know you better!

Patty - congrats on two more pounds! Way to go!

Have a great Monday everybody!

Sylvia
  • Kayzoola
    Kayzoola Posts: 60
    Options
    Today is weights and lawn mowing. That should do it for exercise. Got to have some energy left to spruce up the guest room for an overnight guest tomorrow. I am eating my oat bran and seeds while I collect myself to launch into the day.

Cynthia. Is the vet giving your cat something for nausea? I remember that can cause inappetence when the kidneys are having trouble.

Happy Monday everyone. I am concentrating on drinking more water today. :drinker:
    Kayzoola (PNW USA)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Macklo, pathpt and newbies: Welcome. There is a lot of support available here. You join simply by posting.:flowerforyou:

Michele: I am so sorry that you are convinced you won’t see your son again. :cry: I hope & pray things turn out better than that. It may take a long time, though.:flowerforyou: I find myself in a similar situation with my own DD. It isn't quite as difficult as the situation with your son, but it is still distressing and I do know how you feel. Congratulations on all your kindness to the friend whose party you attended, and also for the great personal discipline and food choices.:flowerforyou:

Carol in NC: What is the name of your rock star? He looks like a great guy. Handsome, too. I hope all the financial dealings for your son’s college tuition work out well.:flowerforyou:

Joyce: I’m so happy that your DD was able to fix your computer.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: I hope your day improves.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I am so sorry that you had to take painkillers and didn’t sleep well. I suspect you are on the right track about the cause being not wearing your lymphodema arm sleeve. It was important for you to look your best when you encountered your ex. It sounds like that went much better than you expected. :bigsmile: I hope the pain goes away quickly. :flowerforyou: I’ve heard the term “Bank Holiday” dozens of times, but I don’t actually understand. Are these national holidays, or days that the banks are closed, both or????:huh:

Liz from Halifax: Thanks for the glittering bouquet.:flowerforyou:

Tere: I’m enjoying your good laugh in the bathroom. :laugh: I hope your SO is inspired to join you in getting healthy.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia: Congratulations on your upcoming pottery studio tour! Your DH is a sweetie to find a way to take you.:flowerforyou:

Philadelphia Pat: I’ll echo what Sylvia said about plateaus. They’re part of the process and I had my share on the way to my goal. I’m finding maintenance quite a challenge. If I don’t keep up the good behavior I’ll end up packing on the pounds and be back where I started. This group is still very important to me and I expect to be here regularly for the foreseeable future. Welcome. :flowerforyou:

I had a distressing call from DD yesterday. She is considering quitting her very good ”Career Path job” to move to the Chicago area where her DH wants to get a union carpentry job and live near his parents. He hasn’t gotten the job or joined the union at this point. DD wants to be a stay at home mom, but he’s been fired from or quit every job he’s had during their marriage. I’m worried for her, and feeling sorry for myself. It is hard enough to see her in CO. We manage a couple of visits a year. I can’t imagine our driving to IL and DH won’t fly. So we’d get to see her and our grandchildren only when we buy them airplane tickets to visit us. Those who pray, please add this situation to your prayers. I’m praying he finds a decent job where they live now. I’d also appreciate helpful ideas to deal with my own sense of loss.:cry:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

May Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily.
  • Pamala28
    Pamala28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies! This does sound like a very supportive group. Can I join? I don't talk much! My name is Pam and I am 61 years old.

I am overweight. I need to lose between 15 and 20 pounds to be considered at a normal weight. The question is, why is that so hard? This is a wonderful site. I am an American living in The Netherlands. If I am filling in my food diary, they have Dutch things as well! Isn't that amazing?

It sure makes things easier for me. I look forward to getting to know you all. If my English sounds funny sometimes, I apologise. Sometimes I get the two languages mixed up a bit.
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Good morning all you great wonderful people.

Kids you have to love them no matter the age, no matter the problem it's called unconditional love. But boy can they play with your heart strings.

I'm fortunate I have three boys two grandkids and all live in my home town. Guess they were happy with there upbringing. They all have reasonable jobs. That they like. No lawyers or doctors only bachelors lol. But happy ones. They all have their own homes. And of late no one shows up for meals unless invited lol.

Can you see by my writing that I feel like I'm going to live. I feel great again today. Not a lot of push and go but at least some.

Wii smiled at me again this morning soon i'll have the gift I bought myself for seeing under 200 on again. Soon very soon.

See you lighter
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Good morning Lovely Ladies!

Today begins our floor installation. Waiting for the installers to arrive. Gardening and vacuuming are my exercise today. This is the last major inside project for this year. Whew!

Meg, more hugs. Being a mother has got to be the most difficult job on earth. :heart:

Katia, saying prayers for you. If DD moves, hopefully they won't, there are many ways to visit. Skyping, emails, phone calls and texts. I know that doesn't help when you want hugs. For me, doing things I enjoy helps me focus on the positive. But don't get ahead of this, maybe it won't happen. :heart:

Cynthia, lots of hugs. Hope your day improves.:heart:

Sylvia, have a great time! It is hot here too!:flowerforyou:

Michele, hugs! Saying it again, being a mother must be the biggest and most difficult job!:heart:

Macklo, Pamela21 and all new ladies, welcome.:flowerforyou:

Joyce, glad your computer is fixed!:smile:

Heather, glad your trip went well and that you had a good time.:smile:

Tere, love your chuckle in the bathroom!:laugh:

Liz, thank you for the beautiful flowers!:love:

Pat in PA, yes, plateaus are part of the process. Slow is the way to go, this is a lifestyle change. Take it one day at a time and don't give up.:flowerforyou:

Kayzoola, enjoy your day too!:flowerforyou:

Hugs and prayers for a great day everyone,

Cindy in OK